Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,827 members, 7,930,845 topics. Date: Sunday, 25 August 2024 at 10:02 AM

My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria (10973 Views)

Widow Banished From Ekiti For Refusing Traditional Oath / My Boyfriend's Parents Don't Approve Me, And They Haven't Even Met Me Yet / I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by texazzpete(m): 8:51pm On Nov 11, 2007
beneli:

@ Siena
Kak eto ti pishish porussky? Ti Uchilsa V Rossi chto li?

There's an existing Nairaland Law that English is the only acceptable means of communication. So STFU with your gibberish already. This goes out to Siena too, totally arseholey thing to do to post twice in russian. it's a discussion forum, not an avenue for you kids to show off

@Poster
Don't you even contemplate any blood oath! If he insists, give him the shove. Why the hell do you wanna stick with someone who doesn't even trust you?
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:59pm On Nov 11, 2007
texazzpete:

There's an existing Nairaland Law that English is the only acceptable means of communication. So STFU with your gibberish already. This goes out to Siena too, totally arseholey thing to do to post twice in russian. it's a discussion forum, not an avenue for you kids to show off

@Poster
Don't you even contemplate any blood oath! If he insists, give him the shove. Why the hell do you want to stick with someone who doesn't even trust you?

@ texaspizza: And you're the smart one hey! grin

Internet language tools are there for a reason, depending on whom you're addressing. If English isn't their first language, certain words you post in English MAY not be understood. It doesn't mean the poster CAN'T understand English.

So, next time you decide to criticize, think first of the reasons behind a particular method of communication. Does that clarify that? Or further explanation required before more insults start flying? grin grin grin
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by subice(m): 9:40pm On Nov 11, 2007
Stay WELL clear of blood oaths. It's unnecessary and most people that do it go into it without really understanding the in-depth deatail behind it, especially on a spititual level. Consequences (and there usually are) are always very devastating. In other words, it's signing a contract with the devil cos God doesn't require such to show love between people.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 9:41pm On Nov 11, 2007
hmmn texazzepete thats really uncalled for.
siena you never dissappointed me.always playing cool

à topic dont ever do blood oath.not good dearie
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by cybersleek(m): 11:12pm On Nov 11, 2007
The more i stay on nairaland the more i hear crazy and absurd things! what does anybody want a blood oath for in this day and age? Tanushka if you like yourself, just stay away from any silly oaths, im an open minded i ndividual, but even this takes the biscuit.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by cybersleek(m): 11:15pm On Nov 11, 2007
E jo a ko fe ija laarin awujo nairaland yii o! How's that for going native?
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by IYaeto(f): 3:35am On Nov 12, 2007
@ TANUSHKA
1. Are you married? to the guy I mean
2. Has he got his papers/ residence permit
3. Are you or your parents rich?
4. DON'T TAKE ANY OATH. IT'S VERY DANGEROUS!! NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU LOVE THIS GUY. IF HE SAYS IF YOU LOVE HIM YOU SHOULD DO IT, DON'T MIND HIM. IT'S CHEAP BLACKMAIL.

He probably wants to make you give him papers, he'll spend all your money or make you steal your parent's money and then dump you.

Good luck cool
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by MP007(m): 4:12am On Nov 12, 2007
dont take any oath.somethings are just common sense, tradition beliefs in the year 2007? plzzzzzzzzz.Trust me, the guy go dey go him thang and na u go suffer,
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by MoOdYLaDy(f): 4:33am On Nov 12, 2007
Abeg take the oat jare then come back and tell us the after effective. I dislike when people ask dump questions, if you want to prove how much you love him, go ahead with the plan and drink his blood but make sure he drinks yours too wink.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by nguage(m): 5:28am On Nov 12, 2007
@ topic. Don't Do it! I don't need to explain why you shouldn't, the consequences will be devastating. Shine ya eye.

@Moodylady, you need to stop smoking that cheap weed. Holla @ ya boy, I got that purple.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by MoOdYLaDy(f): 5:53am On Nov 12, 2007
n-guage:

@ topic. Don't Do it! I don't need to explain why you shouldn't, the consequences will be devastating. Shine ya eye.

@Moodylady, you need to stop smoking that cheap weed. Holla @ ya boy, I got that purple.
Did i hear you say cheap angry tongue, oya send that purple through fedex for me tomm wink

Btw, y are you people begging her not to do it grin grin
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by dapsins69(m): 6:51am On Nov 12, 2007
what a better way of proving You love somebody?
whats the surest way to know you are not beenin deceived?

its a love oath!.it as been in existence way back in the old testament and long before you or I were born. If yu read african folktales or you were born in the village like some -of -us, you would know its a Nigerian Thing.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:43am On Nov 12, 2007
cybersleek:

E jo a ko fe ija laarin awujo nairaland yii o! How's that for going native?

Lol, it's all good! I've no issues whatsoever with different languages being used, whether I understand or not. grin cheesy grin
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by divanaija1: 9:46am On Nov 12, 2007
@ Poster : Попытка Dont оно!!  - Dont try it!!
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by emelumgini(f): 10:13am On Nov 12, 2007
both of u re mad, why must you people live together when both of u re not married? now that u re pregnant what if he refuse to marry u at the end of the day, what will happen?
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by emelumgini(f): 10:15am On Nov 12, 2007
Both of u re mad, why must you people live together when both of u re not married? Now that u re pregnant what if he refuse to marry u at the end of the day, what will happen?
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by Sonye(f): 10:33am On Nov 12, 2007
@TANUSHKA
Please don't mind that man. He was only joking. Lets be honest, an Igbo man wants to take blood oath. Even if you are the one feeding him, he knows better.
Infact, tell him YES, that you are ready to take the oath. You will see that he didn't mean it. Cos he knows where he comes from. He will be the one to die not you. Trust me, don't think too much about it. He just wants you to see the sincereity that does not exist in him at all
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by maki(f): 11:18am On Nov 12, 2007
@TANUSHKA
in the first place where are you from? if you are not from Africa definately i dont think that will work on you and i think he is just using your head for you to be scared of leaving him.

and damn our Nigerian guys what the hell is he doing in Russia when he has a country like Nigeria where he can make good money.

Girl Take my advise use am as you can and dont take that oath its worthless

Thats what's good for them, they dont have brains to think
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by zimba315(m): 11:29am On Nov 12, 2007
takin an oats is risky pls don't do it and always remmeber dont hurt anybody if u dont want that to be done to u back,why always skire the guy of leaving him dat bad
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by ololufemi: 12:00pm On Nov 12, 2007
Could you introduce me to a russian babe.

So eager to be friends with one. It will be nice if she is willing to relocate to Naija.

E ba! Naija for life,
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by Bblak(f): 12:12pm On Nov 12, 2007
Hmmmmmmm lipsrsealed
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by Carlosein(m): 1:05pm On Nov 12, 2007
oaths you say?

abeg no do o- i mean do not involve yourself in any thing like that.

and if you already have, break it off quickly.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by pappilo(m): 2:29pm On Nov 12, 2007
I couldnt resist this:

I like 'oats'. I have taken it with my wife in the past and will do so in the future. I have also taken 'oats' with my family. I don think there is anything wrong with taking 'oats'. It will keep you and you husband strong and healthy. If he is going to take the 'oats', make sure he does it right i.e with a lot of milk and sugar. one last thing make sure it's Quaker Oats

sorry!
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by amaikama(m): 2:33pm On Nov 12, 2007
The post is very interesting but has any one ever wondered or she been asked why the guy wanted a blood oath? angry
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by amaikama(m): 2:53pm On Nov 12, 2007
sometimes i wonder wat sort of advice we give to a sister or a brother that have a problem. a foreign sister that has no knowledge of our culture needed an advice on wat she is currently experience wit her boy friend instead of been positive about it we tend to condemn the guy or girl in their presence. angry it will know shows how barbaric we when it comes to our culture. angry or what we do to get something.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by Revive(f): 2:59pm On Nov 12, 2007
If you love yourselves very much ( as you sound), why don’t you get married properly? and oaths will not be an issue again.

You can go to the Church and vow (marry ) before God “till death do you path” and your oath wahala-problem is solved. And if you both respect God (remember you said your boy friend reads Bible before you), yourselves and your marriage vows, then what you both need to be together is only marriage vow.

If you have already done the blood oath rubbish, better go for a pure deliverance in the Church and break it.

Good luck.

присяга крови – никогда shocked

Meanwhile below is the dictionary.com definition of oath.

1. a solemn appeal to a deity, or to some revered person or thing, to witness one's determination to speak the truth, to keep a promise, etc.: to testify upon oath.
2. a statement or promise strengthened by such an appeal.
3. a formally affirmed statement or promise accepted as an equivalent of an appeal to a deity or to a revered person or thing; affirmation.
4. the form of words in which such a statement or promise is made.
5. an irreverent or blasphemous use of the name of God or anything sacred. 6. any profane expression; curse; swearword: He slammed the door with a muttered oath.
—Idiom
7. take an oath, to swear solemnly; vow.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/oath
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by chynes(f): 5:41pm On Nov 12, 2007
@ pappilo

I couldnt resist this:

I like 'oats'. I have taken it with my wife in the past and will do so in the future. I have also taken 'oats' with my family. I don think there is anything wrong with taking 'oats'. It will keep you and you husband strong and healthy. If he is going to take the 'oats', make sure he does it right i.e with a lot of milk and sugar. one last thing make sure it's Quaker Oats

sorry!

MAN You are hilarious grin grin
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by cybersleek(m): 5:44pm On Nov 12, 2007
My dear amaikama,
our yoruba people say "oun ti ko dara, ko dara" meaning literarily, what is bad,is bad! full stop!, if our brother was not stupid enough to introduce the base and barbarous side of our culture to a foreigner, we would not have cause to say all what we have said so far! i am a nigerian, and a patriotic one at that, but then i have since discovered that we as a people like to involve sentiments in issues we are supposed to approach dispassionately.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by MoOdYLaDy(f): 5:50pm On Nov 12, 2007
chynes:

@ pappilo

I couldnt resist this:

sorry!

MAN You are hilarious grin grin
I thought you were serious at first until i saw the end, lol funny
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by dafman(m): 6:45pm On Nov 12, 2007
lol
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by wakagirl: 7:59pm On Nov 12, 2007
@ pappilo

you made me laugh out load my colleaques thought something was wrong. Funny indeed! lol
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by davedesire(m): 8:10pm On Nov 12, 2007
Nah wah oh, so whats wrong with him taking an oath, what about the people taking oath with God's holy word, what has happened to them. My dear, jump in and let him take the oath.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Join If You Are Proud To Be Hausa/fulani.. / What Is The Meaning Of “ezemo?” / Let's Learn Sign Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.