Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,772 members, 7,921,757 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 11:57 AM

Is Life Really Better Abroad? - Travel (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Life Really Better Abroad? (44879 Views)

Are Nigerians Abroad Really Better off Than Their Home Based Counterparts? / Are Nigerians Abroad Really Better Than Their Home Based Counterpart / What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by LoverBwoy(m): 1:09am On Dec 20, 2006
During our last argument, OldGlory rang me from Yankee, he told me how much he earn[ good money by all standard] but when he told me his outgoings, i can't close my mouth all because of ABROADLINESS.

you cant close your mouth because someone is comfortably paying for a high standard of living?

its not like Nigerians pay higher tax than everybody else or do they Mr akolawale?

In my days in UK, i am previledge to be doing one of the so called neat and good job but i am not better in any way BETTER than graduates who are road cleaners.

Actually people you would call mere plumbers, council bin men, builders (blue collar) in Nigeria are respected in the U.K they are in no way seen as inferior to those doing white collar jobs
The differences in class is not as apparent as in Nigeria people are not hell bent on getting rich and being celebrated by buying honorary degrees

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by somebody(f): 4:10am On Dec 20, 2006
Akolawole, I would gladly show you my P60 if only I knew you grin. I would like you to agree firstly that all fingers are not equal and everybody's circumstances would be different. As a decent person, you should at least be able to acknowledge that. You can't sit down and assume that all Nigerians abroad are suffering. Maybe in your time in your UK, you thought you had it good because everybody's idea of good is different. All these so called outgoings you mention, do you realise they don't apply to everybody. In my case, my only outgoings are my mobile phone bills and travel card. That means my take home is comparable to people in Nigeria who are working above graduate level.

I don't know if you have been following the news of bonuses at Investment Banks, I am sure a lot of the Nigerians working in these banks will be smiling to the banks when some fresh gradautes can get up to £80,000 in year end bonus so imagine what experienced staff would take home. If one of them wants to use his bonus to buy himself a nice car and you see it, you will probably say he got it on hire purchase. Please wake up, a lot of people are doing well in the UK.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by somebody(f): 4:20am On Dec 20, 2006
Change of topic but since this thread is popular. There are internship opportunities for students studying in Ghana, Nigeria or South Africa for Goldman Sachs UK(travel costs would be covered). Please pass on to people you know who may be interested. More details at https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-33556.0.html
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by MyPeace(f): 10:58am On Dec 20, 2006
@Akowale

Abeg stop arguing with them.  We are not saying Abroad is not good, but just understand that Nigeria is equally good on its own. It is an individual thing.  Given that you were poor when u were in Nigeria doesnot mean that  everybody is poor. some people are geuninely making it here.  Everything in Nigeria is not all about corruption.  Some graduate will tell u that if you don't know anybody u wont get a job, bullshit!!!  Where am working now, i just saw the advert on guradian newspaper applied attended interveiw and was selected without an insider.

My signature says, U are the Architect of your life.  So what u make out of your life is what u become, whether in nigeria or abroad.

Take it or not, majority of nigerians living abroad are poor abroad, only rich if they come back  home  - courtesy of our naira rate to $. 

there is a new thread in this section, that a nigerian boy would be executed by singabore govt.  if the idiot had made, he would come here to argue that broad is better than nigeria - better my foot!!!!!!!!!!!

Abroad is good, US, Uk etc, all of them are good, NIGERIA is also good, depending on what u make out of your life!!!!!!!!!  P E R I  O  D!!!!!!!!!!!!

the only advantage of abraod is that if u make  ^1 ($1), it turns to ^130 - chikena!!.  So if one has a very good job or the exchange rate normalises, i don't see the need for abroad fever!

TAKE IF OR NOT, BIG NIGERIAN BOYS AND BABES DONT LIVE ABROAD, THEY ONLY HOLIDAY THERE!!!   Only Nigerian HUSTLERS live there!   U may ask why?  guess u know the answer
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Jackal(m): 11:19am On Dec 20, 2006
@ LoverBwoy,

Please tell Akola what he does not know.
He claims he had a decent job but his take home pay wasn't better than an ordinary cleaner.
How many man-hours does a cleaner get to do in a week? Maybe 10-12 hrs per week.
Technically, a cleaner makes about 120 pounds a week if he is on ONE JOB.
What Akola is telling us here is that he is barely better than 120 quid a week with his so called NEAT & GOOD job.
How is that possible?

Whereas, a junior software tester makes 20 pounds per hour which translates to 800 pounds a week.
Can u see the difference?
Why should i limit my potentials into cleaning jobs when a paltry 400 pounds can make me ISEB qualified and put me on 3500 pounds a month?
Nigerians are lazy people with the exception of the ones that dont have the legal documents to work in big companies.
Many Nigerians find it difficult to come into the UK and get certified. They are always scared to task themselves mentally so they resort to jobs that do not require any skills.
I know not everyone is scientifically sound but  jobs like Park Attendants still pay about 350 pounds a week.
350/week is a very decent pay package for anyone who cuts his cloth according to his size.

AKOLA, its so unfortunate i wont be able to meet u on the boxing day cos i'd be in Lagos by then.
I will gladly show u my P60 and maybe that will convince u to know that Nigerians are living a good life in the UK.
There's no place like home but i am very satisfied here cos things are working.

@ MyPeace,
Re-phrase ur statement.
Just say majority of the Nigerians U KNOW are suffering abroad.

I don't suffer and all ma mates here are living a very good life devoid of problems and wheel-clogging.
Life is what u make it so anyone can make money anywhere.
Where i decide to stay is my choice and it has nuthing to do with BIG BOY or BIG GAL.
U dont have to stay abroad to get rich.

The Nigerian lad who will be executed in Singapore must be a drug-peddler.
Nigerians get executed in Nigeria as well.
Armed robbers face the firing squad when found guilty so its no biggie.
It has nuthing to do with this topic.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Akolawole(m): 12:18pm On Dec 20, 2006
@Somebody

For somebody taking home your so-called £80,000. How much is the person's take home?

Feel free to meet me, i wont even take your documents off you, i will just check few things. And i will then congratulate you. anywhere in London will do.

Congrat of being a very very successful Nigerian in England.

2) So the only bill you pay is your mobile phone bill and travel card.
So you dont pay house rent?.
Council tax etc
Whoever accommodate you must be applauded.

3) I am not saying all Nigerians in UK are suffering. Not at all
I have a strong family ties with UK from late 70's, God has been good to us but we must be realistic.

@Jackal
Did i hear you say Congestion charge is in West end alone?
Please spare me this
Even in Elephant and castle, hardly any South bank University student can take their car to University. Check it out.

I AM READY TO MEET YOU AT YOUR CONVENIENT TIME but before January ending.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Akolawole(m): 12:26pm On Dec 20, 2006
@MyPeace

What can i say?

I have been labelled as Anti-west by some nairalanders.

Please dont go to exchange rate at all.
Sample

An average room not a flat in London cost £60 a week which is £240 a month.

£240=(240*245)= #58,800.

Imagine #58,800 for a room in a shared flat in London. I must be living in Victoria Island.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Genial(m): 12:33pm On Dec 20, 2006
Akolawole:

@MyPeace

What can i say?

I have been labelled as Anti-west by some Nairaland users.

Please don't go to exchange rate at all.
Sample

An average room not a flat in London cost £60 a week which is £240 a month.

£240=(240*245)= #58,800.

Imagine #58,800 for a room in a shared flat in London. I must be living in Victoria Island.

£60/wk? That would be a very good bargain indeed. Try £80 - £150/wk, depending on where you live, of course.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Akolawole(m): 12:54pm On Dec 20, 2006
@Genial

Recall i say "average".

Can you comment on the subject please?
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Jackal(m): 3:12pm On Dec 20, 2006
@ AKOLA,

This is the Great Britain.
The massive exodus of immigrants have pushed the cost of living to an astronomical height.
U cannot say the same about other parts of England like Manchester or Blackburn or even Bradford.
Its like comparing the cost of living in Lagos Island and Eruwa. Is it fair?
Don't forget the same London habours professionals who earn 130k a week(Ballack), 1500 pounds a week(Project manager) and 120 a week(Cleaner).

Congestion charges apply generally in the zone 1 areas of London.
My question here is-----------MUST u take ur car to the city on weekdays?
Transportation in London is the best in the whole wide world so why can't u take the tube?
Akola, all these factors u are citing is avoidable. U don't have to pay congestion charge.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by LoverBwoy(m): 6:14pm On Dec 20, 2006
Feel free to meet me, i wont even take your documents off you, i will just check few things. And i will then congratulate you. anywhere in London will do.

yes somebody please show strangers your N.I number
your home address
your bank details

very soon there'll be 15 somebody(s) in the U.K and 8 in far away Portugal using your details grin

all in good faith man  cheesy

I've heard about those I.T courses, I didn't believe it at first until i saw someones contract details shocked clean money!! how i wish i was a techie freak  wink
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Akolawole(m): 6:32pm On Dec 20, 2006
LoverBwoy:

yes somebody please show strangers your N.I number
your home address
your bank details

very soon there'll be 15 somebody(s) in the U.K and 8 in far away Portugal using your details grin

I do hope you are not directing that to me.

Lest i forget, we are Nigerians.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by sage(m): 7:39pm On Dec 21, 2006
@Kola and My peace pls dont get me started.

N/B It might be intresting 4 u guyz to note that u cannot compare Nigeria and the West in anyway, (Student, Fresh graduate, working class citizen) If u guyz want comparison, i reside in the US and i can tell u what the diffrences are (and believe me, itz too numerous to mention)

DONT COMPARE WHEELBARROW TO A BENZ pls
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by MyPeace(f): 8:33am On Dec 22, 2006
We are not saying is not good to be there, but get it in your ur head that some people are still genuinely making it here in Nigeria, everthing in nigeria is not all about corruption and everthing is not bad here. That u were wretched before u jumped out of nigeria doesnot mean that everyone is living a wretched life in najia!. You mustn't travel out to be the best u can! The earlier you guys get this, the better it will be for all of usl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Akolawole(m): 10:22pm On Dec 22, 2006
sage:

@Kola and My peace please don't get me started.

N/B It might be intresting for you guys to note that u cannot compare Nigeria and the West in anyway, (Student, Fresh graduate, working class citizen) If u guys want comparison, i reside in the US and i can tell u what the diffrences are (and believe me, itz too numerous to mention)

DONT COMPARE WHEELBARROW TO A BENZ please

If i am not wrong, i have argued with you sometimes on this.
Oldglory and you? Am i right?
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by sage(m): 4:08am On Dec 23, 2006
Akolawole:

If i am not wrong, i have argued with you sometimes on this.
Oldglory and you? Am i right?

Yeah Kola. I havent even heard from Old Glory in a while.

At My Peace, i had a comfortable life in Nigeria but for the over 70% of Nigerians who live in abject poverty and those extremely struggling to eat, ur Nigeria is not good 4 them. if ur among the 5% thatz getting all the resources then i guess Nigeria is 4u. Shit me if any nigerian in the US had the chance to steal money from the nigerian Goverment like our leaders r doing, he will be on the next flight home so,
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by TheOne2(m): 12:21pm On Jan 06, 2007
I have been following this thread for a long time now and I can see that a lot of Nigerians abroad are generally uninformed. I will list out the issues as I remember themL:

- Who said people work without receiving salary for 3 months in Nigeria? Maybe 1% of the work-force at any time. Because you hear on the news that some people were not paid doesn't mean you should generalize that that is the norm.

- Who said 70% of Nigerians live in abject poverty? I have lived in Nigeria for more than 25 years and from my own interactions I KNOW that that figure cannot be more than 20%. Doesn't it baffle folks that villagers are able to send their children to universities?

- When folks talk about earning $4,000 in 3 months and that bank mangers don't earn that in 8 months I laugh. I earned more than that in a month in Nigeria. I personally know self-employed young men (under-30s) who will conveniently pay you that amount monthly out of what they make here in Nigeria.

- I'm in the UK presently for studies and I must say I'm disappointed, not with infrastructure and stuff, but with the fact that Naijas paint a totally unrepresentative picture about life here. The people talking about the UK being heaven must be people who were jobless and hungry back home or doing a 20,000 naira a month job. How can you compare working in ASDA to a professional job. Or security or all these jobs that you toil for so long on? I personally know naija folks in the UK who say that if they get a job paying 250k naira a month they would gladly go home. Again, people talk about corruption. Are most of us even in diaspora right now not fundamentally corrupt? I say that because it amounts to corruption for you to go abroad on a visiting visa and start working. Or you want me to define corruption? The visa expires and you start using fake oassports and social security/NI numbers? What else is corruption? Or the folks that perpetrate card scams and stuff everyday in London all in the guise of hustling?

- Have you ever asked yourself why the nairaland administrator has not moved abroad? I think it's because he's making a good living in Nigeria. Don't worry, he will soon be visiting folks in the UK and doing things most people there can only dream about doing.

From the standpoint of someone who has been on both sides, PERSONALLY I am going to live in Nigeria. Why, you may ask? Let me explain it:

1) If I choose to live here after my program, I will get a job that pays about 30,000 pounds a year before tax. I was earning the equivalent of that (7.5 million naira) in Nigeria before I came here and that's after working for 18 months. My tax out of that is not up to 1 million naira annually. I live in a 400,000 naira per annum house in Lekki and I must confess I have not seen a lot of houses with comparable finishing in this UK (YES, I SAID THAT).

2) Every year I have more than 3 million naira in cash to invest in whatever I chose to invest in and that is after living COMFORTABLY. Peple talk about organization and stuff but we still have places that are organized - as in access to funds and stuff. I bought a 14 million naira 4-bedroom terrace house (duplex with a pent-house) in one of the estates in Lekki (10% down payment) and you know what?, I am going to pay it off in 5 YEARS. To an individual that house goes for 22 million but as I said you could still organize people together and get good deals.

3) I have a non-contributory pension plan, free world-class health services, free recreational services, free transport to and from work if I chose and what else do people make noise about sef? Point is, all of these in THAT SAME NIGERIA.

4) People should reconnect back home to actually know what's going on. Do you guys know that there's a revolution in the oil industry in Nigeria and that a good engineering graduate will pick up a job there now? How do I know? Let me explain: my graduating class in the university had five 1st class and more than twenty 2:1 graduates. Out of this lot, more than 20 (YES, I MEAN TWO-ZERO) work in the oil industry in Nigeria. That's not an invitation for people to start coming on about thousands of 2:1 engineering graduates who don't have jobs. 2:1 different from 2:1 ooooooooooo. You don't expect someone that cannot pass ordinary aptitude test to get a job, do you? Others work in banks, consulting and so on. I do not know any of the more than 70 graduates we had in my class that does not have a job. I MEAN THAT SERIOUSLY. I'm not saying there isn't any of them in diaspora. We have a fair repesentation in major multinational oil companies in the North Sea and the Gulf of Mexico doing well for themselves. What they cannot say is that they are doing better than their colleagues in Nigeria. Do peolple know that these companies in the oil industry (producing, servicing, design) are SERIOUSLY searching for engineering graduates to employ. I don't need to explain why though you can take a clue from the oil price.

5) The oil sector in Nigeria is just a small fraction of the society: I KNOW, just that the same things are extending to other sectors. Plssss we should understand that business is not charity, nobody will employ anybody that doesn't bring anything to the table. You have to be employable (as in good at what you profess to do).
I could go on and on but I don't have the time now.

BOTTOM LINE - Where you live is whatever you make it out to be. For me, Nigeria suits me better. Maybe for others the west does?

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!!!!!!!!

N.B: If your username is Sage please don't reply!!!
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 12:50pm On Jan 06, 2007
@The one,

Seriously, how many people back home are making 7.5 million Naira a year back home? Maybe you lived a sheltered life back home, to be unaware of the plight of the common man in Lagos. Can you directly tell that to a man living in Ajegunle doing security job for a bank that pays hime like 30k a month? How many people can really regard themselves as middle class Nigerians? I lived in Nigeria, and have been in the USA for quite a while now, and from my standpoint, the chances of making it in today's society without resorting to pressing someone's palms is greater in America than Nigeria. Look at Oprah Winfrey, a sell made billionaire, and countless other folks who made it on their own accord. In Naija, you would have to struggle for contract, or if you are a civil servant, yeah, you might have to exercise patience for your three months arrears to be deposited into your bank account. That you lived a good life, does not mean you should gloat over it at the detriment of the common masses. You should just get on your knees, very seriously, and Thank God for blessing you financially, and also create in you a humble heart to be aware of the wide gulf between the rich and the poor in the Nigerian society.

I can't write for Londoners, but in America, no matter what the obstacles maybe, your ability to survive is almost a given. Education here, can be obtained in California, by paying just 11 dollars per unit. 11 dollars, and the classes are open to all and sundry. When you are done with high school, and have limited finances to see you through the four walls of the University, your best bet would be to enrol in a community college, and based on your income, your fees may be waived. So, that saves you the heartache of waiting for the dreaded cancellation of JAMB results 'beause expo leaked out at the community center' or getting F9 in all your classes because of a technical glitch in the computer back home. I am referring to the middle class segment of the society, not the upper crust who can, buy their way to power with a wave of the Naira currency. Lets talk of opportunity being available to every member of the society, and not to a select few, as you have written in your discourse on the availability of jobs at Shell.

I am surprised that you never wrote about the challenges and hunger that manifests in the lives of students in Nigeria. I am sure, you may have heard of the slang, 1-0- 1, or 0-0-1 or 111, the one, meant the number of times, you could afford to eat a meal, and the zero meant surving on an empty tummy. Abroad is different, no matter what, you can get free meals at a local food bank, so that solves your problem. An academic underweight with a vested interest for education could acquire it at a 2 year college with the assistance of professors. In the educational setting in Nigeria, some professors can be downright vindictive. I narrated a story of a professor who would walk into the exam hall and announce to the consternation of students, "Make sure you write well to obtain your D's". Out here, that Professor would be given his walk-out papers with immediate effect. My brother's degree was almost delayed because some Professor held unto his thesis. When my uncle waded into the wahala, the professor became angry. I can go on and on about the shortcomings in the Nigerian society, especially when I see how smooth the system is in America. Since Nigeria is better than America, why do people, as you outrightly mentioned, send their kids to study abroad? Sha, Nigeria is home to me, and irrespective of its imperfections (as we all are), I love it. But I wont sit down and condemn America, because their houses are not top of the line with those of Lekki beach, etc, etc. That's just superficial.

1 Like

Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by LoverBwoy(m): 1:09pm On Jan 06, 2007
That you lived a good life, does not mean you should gloat over it at the detriment of the common masses. You should just get on your knees, very seriously, and Thank God for blessing you financially, and also create in you a humble heart to be aware of the wide gulf between the rich and the poor in the Nigerian society.

Nah thats too much, that's a national hobby in Nigeria

you write Jamb, you write WAEC, the NECO, post UME after all these you still have to get an insider just to go to university
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 1:26pm On Jan 06, 2007
My brother, tell me about it. Some candidates have been frustrated, dreams have been deferred, or even postponed indefinitely because of one's inability to ace these examinations And, at times, even when you have sucessfully passed the exams, at times, finances can be the overall determining factor in determining your prospects of either furthering your studies, or staying back home, scouting for a job. Chei, life in Nigeria is so unpreictable. How did our people do it, I wonder, that some folks did not run amok or even commit suicide back home? Nigerians are resilient people, I give them kudos to that.

Now just compare the above scenario with what might occur in the USA. Your best bet would be to apply at a junior college which would most readily admit you. Very smooth journey I would say. God bless America, as they say, but overall, Count your blessings.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by LoverBwoy(m): 1:51pm On Jan 06, 2007
How did our people do it, I wonder, that some folks did not run amok or even commit suicide back home? Nigerians are resilient people, I give them kudos to that.

Same here
Thank God for my life o

it's very easy for the "few" to talk about how rosy it is in Nigeria, they don't talk about the average man feeding his whole family with national wage, the mention lekki,ikoyi Abuja and whatnot acting like its not the same country oshodi,ajegule,moroko and the Niger Delta region is

they even showed odili sipping crystal while answering questions about the conditions in his state

Mami been hustling since 5! reality
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by ell77(f): 2:37pm On Jan 06, 2007
I will say it again. There are a lot of benefits abroad. But one day there will be no one left in Naija at this rate! If you care about the rest of Naija but feel you need to leave, fine! But please consider returning when you can to set up businesses, NGOs, etc for these people living in poverty. People keep waiting for the government to do this and do that. In reality it may never happen, we as Naija people who are able to go abroad should try and come back and rebuild the community we say we can't live in. That is what progress is all about. You see white men coming and investing in the community all the time. Most of the time it is strictly for their own benefit to set up a business in Naija where the are so many resources , intelligent people and opportunities. But in the process they are investing in the community to 'cos they are generating jobs.

If someone like you or I forgets these opportunities exist in Naija, Naija will never change. What is Naija if not people and the land. There is nothing overseas that is not plausible in Naija, it will just take time and a lot of effort. But if we don't encourage people to see the beauty in Naija and possibilities in Naija. Naija will soon become a barren land populated only by cochroaches! Whenoyibo decides to tell people to get out we will see people flee to Ghana. Then when Ghana sends us paking we will have a new name for that checked bag! grin cry
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by TheOne2(m): 4:38pm On Jan 06, 2007
@Ndipe

I'm sure you've allowed your position on this issue prevent you from reading what I wrote objectively. Let me address the points you brought up:

Seriously, how many people back home are making 7.5 million Naira a year back home?: My dear, if you read what I wrote carefully, I said that the malaise with those of us in diaspora is that we are not really in touch with Nigeria. I can tell you that a lot of people earn 7.5 million back home, NOT MAJORITY THOUGH, but as a basis I'll say majority of those that work in Nigeria earn more than 50,000 naira monthly.

Maybe you lived a sheltered life back home, to be unaware of the plight of the common man in Lagos: My dear, I lived in Ajegunle for 25 years before I moved to Lekki. That experience gave me the resolve to make a good life for myself. I didn't have no connections but my God blessed me with a good brain and gave me the wisdom to apply it correctly in order to attain to what I want. My father wasn't rich by any means, but I still achieved my targets. For your information I attended university in THAT SAME NIGERIA on scholarship, and I am now studying in the UK on scholarship from THAT SAME NIGERIA. People just say all manner of things for propaganda. Do you know how many people the likes of Shell, Chevron, Mobil, Elf, Niger Delta states, other state governments etc award scholarships each year? And I'm sure you won't award a scholarship to somebody on 3rd class (maybe they do that in the UK and the states)? Do you think everybody can go to school abroad? NO. So those that can't should make the best use of what they've got. Thousands do well in life without going to school abroad.

I lived in Nigeria, and have been in the USA for quite a while now, and from my standpoint, the chances of making it in today's society without resorting to pressing someone's palms is greater in America than Nigeria: Maybe, but A LOT of people still make it in Nigeria without greasing anybody's palms.

Look at Oprah Winfrey, a sell made billionaire, and countless other folks who made it on their own accord: Oga, this one na fallacy of hasty generalization oooo. If I should start listing self-made Nigerians here, I'll be typing for ages!!! Abi no be for America Adenuga drive taxi? Why e no siddon there forever?

That you lived a good life, does not mean you should gloat over it at the detriment of the common masses: Again, fallacy of improper assumption. If you read my post, you'll see that I wasn't gloating. I was only explaining to you that A LOT of people still make it here in Nigeria than they will do abroad.

You should just get on your knees, very seriously, and Thank God for blessing you financially, and also create in you a humble heart to be aware of the wide gulf between the rich and the poor in the Nigerian society: I already have a humble heart and ascribe all that I am today to God. For your information, there is an emerging middle class in Nigeria right now, like it or not. At least you can not say people like me are rich, neither can you say I am poor.

So, that saves you the heartache of waiting for the dreaded cancellation of JAMB results 'beause expo leaked out at the community center' or getting F9 in all your classes because of a technical glitch in the computer back home: Ol boy, ask yourself what % of candidates have their results cancelled. Where did you hear that a technical glitch caused somebody to be given F9. Those are just stereotypes in the minds of those of you that don't want to see anything good in Nigeria.

Lets talk of opportunity being available to every member of the society, and not to a select few, as you have written in your discourse on the availability of jobs at Shell.: My dear there's opportunity everywhere, what differs is how hard you look in order to see it. Tell your folks to do well in school forst, at least that will give them a foot in the door first. Abi for America dem no dey discriminate based on what you make in school for jobs? Personally o, I've not seen anybody that did well in school that doesn't have an OK job, and I am including all of my peeps that we grew up in Ajegunle together.

I am surprised that you never wrote about the challenges and hunger that manifests in the lives of students in Nigeria. I am sure, you may have heard of the slang, 1-0- 1, or 0-0-1 or 111: Again, propagandaaaa. I went to school in Nigeria and I can tell you that the percentage of people doing any 1-0-1 or whatever is not up to one percent. Those are stories you tell in order to get more money from your parents.

Since Nigeria is better than America, why do people, as you outrightly mentioned, send their kids to study abroad? Make me sef I ask you question? America get oil abi? Why dem dey import from Nigeria? That's because the one they have is not enough to cater for their needs QUANTITATIVELY. In the same way, Nigeria too does not have enough in Educational infrastructure QUALITATIVELY. That is why the world is a global village. You tap from others what you don't have. As per coming abroad to study, that is because I have a personal goal. I want to build the foundation for some international businesses I'll be into in the future. The certicate is a add-on. When I was leaving, my manager (American) told me that I didn't need further study and that I was already proficient at my job. So your choice should be based on your aspiration for yourself.

PLEASE DON'T LET US JUST BLANKET NIGERIA AS IF THERE'S NO HOPE THERE. A lot of people (without long-leg) are making it big time there.

LAST WORD: There's nowhere in my post that I condemned Nigerians living abroad. I only made a case for Nigeria.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 11:07am On Jan 07, 2007
@ The one, you have admitted that you grew up in a seedy part of Lagos (Ajegunle), but I am surprised to read that you may have been insulated from the struggles of some students on campus. Assuming you were interested in a political office back home, and you came up with an agenda convincing your constituents that poverty was almost non -existent on college campuses, because less than one 1% of the student limited their meal intakes to one a day, do you really think that university students would accept you as their future leader?
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by sage(m): 2:09am On Jan 08, 2007
The One

My guy you must be in dreamland or u are certainly a dreamer. Seriously. Are you hallucinating or what?

You obviously think you are making a speach at the United Nations. Which Nigeria are you talking about. The one Inside your mind or what?

1 Less than 20% of Nigerians live in poverty? my guy are you serious?

2 Under 30 yr olds comfortably paying somebody 600,000 from his monthly salary. Which Under 30yr olds are you talking about and what work do they do?

3 You were making 7.5 million Naira before and you are still going to school. Even if you are a graduate what work are you doing in Nigeria that pays somebody with an Undergraduate degree 7.5 million.

4 Only one percent of the Nigerian workforce are not payed on time? This guy are you Nigerian?

5 Really u are a civil servant and you have more than 3 million for investment from your salary?

This is really interesting.

My Guy were did you WORK IN NIGERIA THAT PAYES AN UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE HOLDER 7.5 MILLION

My guy the vast majority of Nigerians are in Abject poverty (i assume you are not Nigerian so i guess i have to let you know whats happening in Nigeria)

If you see that people are overseas , do you feel that you can come here and spin us imaginary yarns? My guy your post is ridiculous. The people you are talking to all went to University in Nigeria and have lived and worked on both divides so i don't know if you are typing that thing for some morons who are asking about Nigeria. We all lived in Nigeria and also go back all the time so i don't think you are talking abou the same Nigeria as the rest of every body.

God Damn. people. Wonders shall never cease
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by sage(m): 2:14am On Jan 08, 2007
My guy if you want we can debate it. 70% of Nigerians live  in Poverty in Nigeriastatistically speaking but i think  tit is even underreported.

To somebody that lives and lived in Nigeria, your post does not make much sense.

I am sorry if i sound strong but Damn. Under 30 COMFORTABLY paying  people 600,000. Jeez

I SPEND TIME ON BOTH SIDES OF THE GREAT DIVIDE SO I CAN TELL YOU THE TRUTH ON ANY TOPIC YOU WANT TO RAISE. I SCHOLLED IN NAIJA, WORKED IN NAIJA, COLLEGUES IN NAIJA, FAMILY THERE SO I CAN TELL YOU AUTORITATIVELY THIS

A COUNTRY LIKE THE UNITED STATES IS 100, INFACT 1000 TIMES BETTER THAN NIGERIA. WANT TO ARGUE THAT? JUST TELL ME AND WE CAN COME DOWN ON IT.

U accuse people of painting a false picture but you are even doing worse than that.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by 1star4ever(m): 3:00am On Jan 08, 2007
cool
Topic: not too bad:

In N. a lot of people get their salary at the begining of the month and by the end of the month, their pockets are empty. If they are lucky, being laid off or strike may pass them. But unfortunately, the unlucky ones go broke. Also a lot of them are homeless, live with family, friends, under the bridge and in jail.

Does the same thing happen in the U.S. and other rich nations? Yes.

People that live under the bridge get into all kinds of issues, expose them selves to the harsh weather, may not have anything to eat for days, no roof above their head,ect. Why can't they just commit a minor crime. That way they will end up in jail, where they might be in an air or heat conditioned room, have food to eat, medications to take in case they are sick and some of them may even have playgrounds to exercise.

Now the question is. Is it better to live under the bridge or in jail? You be the judge.

N. have good things and bad things. They are better than western nations in different issues and also doing terrible in many issues like[having to sit and look at the W. people come to their country, take their oil, bribe their governments and warlords, ship it to their western nations and live the so called A. dream].

Weak goverment leaders create a nation full of poverty and inequality. The problem with N. is not that they are not rich, it's just that, their natural resources are being misused and the funds are wired overseas leaving the citizens with kobo in their pockets.

The smart ones make it regardless of where they live. If you disagree, go figure.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by ell77(f): 10:21am On Jan 08, 2007
If you compare being poor in Naija to being poor overseas of course overseas wins in a lot of cases, the same in almost every non-European or American country. But I think the reason some people on this post are adamant in defending Naija is there are a lot of people doing well in Naija - whether it is the majority or not. Yet people leave cushy lives in Naija because of generalised comments like on this post OVERSEAS IS 100% BETTER THAN NAIJA. This is frustrating for the most part 'cos people think Gold drops from the sky overseas - not true. You are supported in living, simple. The same determination it takes to get rich in Naija is the same you need overseas, perhaps there are more opportunities to enter middle class overseas. But if you are already rich in Naija, Naija is the best place to be. A large number of people complain to their relatives overseas that they have no money yet they have house girls, driver, they actually owb their house and work in an office where they come in 2 hours late and leav an hour early. Yet their relative overseas works 40 hours plus a week cleaning streets a job people won't think of doing in their own land but feel free to do in another man's land and then come home to a dodgy area where they pay rent that eats most of their heavily taxed income. All that is argued here is perspective - if you are poor, there are some places there are better to be perhaps, but if you are rich or even ok, what then?

Naija has problems, yes, but talk like this is futile. When BNP comes to power people here in the UK won't know where to run to! As for me, by then I will have made sure I have something for myself in Naija. The world is a global village why not keep hope alive. Naija will soon become like Ethiopia in fact apart from oil there is not much holding the two apart, all I know is Ghanaians seem to have turned the country around - of course they had a good president come and kill people off, plus they are smaller but instead of playing comparison, why not allow those who want to leave to leave but encourage them to come back and rebuild their country? No clean water? Come back and make a water company. No good road - come back and make construction firm. It will be harder than hard but you will probably even be wealthier than staying in the UK.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by LoverBwoy(m): 12:50pm On Jan 08, 2007
Yet people leave cushy lives in Naija because of generalised comments like on this post OVERSEAS IS 100% BETTER THAN NAIJA

cushy lives? driving around in a hummer in ajegunle?

don't you think it's their fault? most of those kind of comment are usually accompanied by- you work hard for your money- you get paid for your work!

When BNP comes to power people here in the UK won't know where to run to!
yea when abacha becomes president again cheesy

I don't think anybody is discouraging people from going back to Nigeria, the aim of the majority of people as i understand is to grab the opportunities abroad gain as much experience and knowledge as possible and return to Nigeria or invest in it. have u been to the business section?

It will be harder than hard but you will probably even be wealthier than staying in the UK.
do you really think thats everybody's aim in life?
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by ell77(f): 3:11pm On Jan 08, 2007
LoverBwoy:

cushy lives? driving around in a hummer in ajegunle?

don't you think it's their fault? most of those kind of comment are usually accompanied by- you work hard for your money- you get paid for your work!
yea when abacha becomes president again cheesy

I don't think anybody is discouraging people from going back to Nigeria, the aim of the majority of people as i understand is to grab the opportunities abroad gain as much experience and knowledge as possible and return to Nigeria or invest in it. have u been to the business section?
do you really think thats everybody's aim in life?

Look Loverbwoy. There are people who are discouraging people from going back home. There are also people who encourage wealthy or ok people to leave everything they have in Naija for overseas - I have seen it in real life, I have even seen it on this forum!

As I have been reading posts the aim of a majority of people is to come to UK to have money. Some come for education - yet don't go back - because of money.

If you ride a hummer in ajegunle does not mean you are not living a cushy life - it just means you are faced with reality everyday and a reminder that life is not rosy for everyone - it may be better self as you may remember to help your people. Here in UK and in America poor people and rich people may live in different areas and perhaps never see each other. Is that your idea of cushy? Not being in touch with reality?

As a Nigerian I have heard people say - NEVER IN MY LIFE WILL I GO TO NAIJA - even for holiday. they say 'for what?'.
As a Nigerian I have heard people say if I go back to live in Naija after I have made my cash - I will go to GHANA!
As a Nigerian I have heard people say 'I don't like people knowing I'm Nigerian, there is nothing in my country I can be proud of'.
As a Nigerian, Nigerian people have asked me 'why would you wan't to go to Nigeria when you become rich? That's such a waste'.

If you have money in Naija:
- NEPA no be prob - buy gen.
- education is fine
- accomodation is fine
- social life is fine
- water is fine
- sense of pride is fine knowing you invest in your father's land

If people are debating here as to where it is better to get a degree or whatever and all plan to come home and invest the money back into Nigeria. Then this topic in itself is not an issue. I highlighted the reasons why I joined the argument. Merely for those who feel Naija is waste and they will never come back because it is in entriety a slum which is not true. PS - everywhere you go you must work hard for your money.
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by ell77(f): 3:23pm On Jan 08, 2007
Plumbers and builders are appreciated for their services - people know they can't do it themselves - but they are not respected. Council bin men - respected! WHAAT! Anyways if this is why you can be a bin man in Overseas but not Naija then obviously pride bites you more than hunger! cry
Re: Is Life Really Better Abroad? by somebody(f): 12:07pm On Jan 09, 2007
TheOne, I agree with that sage you have never lived in Nigeria to come up with those ridiculous statements. You claim that only 1% of workforce in Nigeria is not paid on time, go and ask state civil servants how often they get their salary. Majority of people earn N50, 000 and above, please go to the thread on this site that talked about average salaries in Naija. A lot of people think Lagos State is Nigeria, go and see how many people live in villages in other states and can’t afford a decent meal. I met some of my relatives a few years ago and when they told me about their life in the village, I almost wept for them. There are a lot of towns and villages in Nigeria that people cannot afford to eat three square meals, let alone go to a decent school. You see 18 year olds that are in JS3 and can’t even read or write thanks to the village schools they attend. I have found that a lot of Nigerians especially those that live in Lagos are quite ignorant when it comes to other states and towns. Ajegunle is heaven when you compare to other poor towns so please don’t come and start preaching of how you lived in Ajegunle and so were once suffering.

You think life revolves around Lekki and oil companies. How many graduates would get the opportunity to work in oil companies? You claim to have worked in Nigeria before coming to do a masters so please explain why you would settle for a £30,000 pa job here. Would that be because you don’t know better or because your work experience amounts to nothing here?  What areas have you been to in the UK that your flat in Lekki is better than? Lekki I believe is upmarket in Lagos so please compare your flat to an upmarket location in UK and don’t start using houses in Peckham and Thamesmead (no offence) as a standard for UK homes.

Who on this thread has compared working in ASDA to professional jobs in Nigeria? You make really ridiculous claims; I wonder how you came up with them.  For you to suggest that people abroad are corrupt because they come on visitor visas and start working shows the sort of people you know. Please don’t taint me with such rubbish because I live abroad. Someone also mentioned that Big Boys and girl holiday here and the ones that live abroad are hustlers. Nigerians won’t stop to amaze me, please define a big boy/girl? The fact that people come abroad to hustle does not mean that everybody abroad came here to hustle. I came to get a better education that Nigeria could never have given me and decided to stay back, how does that amount to hustling? I know a lot of people are doing very well in Nigeria, some even comparable to their counterparts in the UK but that does not mean that majority have it good.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (23) (Reply)

You Think You Know Nigeria: Which City Gate Is This? (photo) / Mention The Funniest Bus-stops You've Ever Heard / The Sorry State Of Onitsha-Awka-Enugu-Ph Expressway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 186
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.