Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,176 members, 7,880,670 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 12:54 AM

Subsidy Probe Report Indictees Will Not Be Prosecuted – Min Of Justice Adoke - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy Probe Report Indictees Will Not Be Prosecuted – Min Of Justice Adoke (8977 Views)

Ubah To Buhari: Remove Fuel Subsidy, Probe Those Behind Shutdown / Fuel Subsidy Probe Report : House Of Reps Debate - Live / Okonjo-iweala Testifies Before Subsidy Probe Committee - Live (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Subsidy Probe Report Indictees Will Not Be Prosecuted – Min Of Justice Adoke by oraclefemi(m): 9:55am On May 04, 2012
Why did the british leave? Since they've left and given us independence we've had a civil war,couple of coups, and sense less looting....looting that just shocks you..pension,subsidy,point to one govt that doesn't have his handa dirty since civilian democracy started? Our rubbish unis profuce rubbish gradduates..Nigeria is hopeless,no matter what happens we will keep voting in criminals...into positions of power ...hold on I forgot our votes don't count..I didn't vote cause I already knew that no man on the list was worth it....typing from my phone I'm not ready to use spellcheck .
Re: Subsidy Probe Report Indictees Will Not Be Prosecuted – Min Of Justice Adoke by annytee(m): 10:00am On May 04, 2012
SE NA LIKE THIS WE GO DEY GO?
Re: Subsidy Probe Report Indictees Will Not Be Prosecuted – Min Of Justice Adoke by uncleb(m): 10:22am On May 04, 2012
I read the AGF remarks, very ridiculous, and bemusing but am not surprise, he never disappointed me and am sure he has spoken his boss' mind. After all, the resolution of House that FG should revert to N65 pump price /litre in January was said to a mere advise that lacks.

If anyone expects this administration to give corruption a serious fight, such individuals should have a rethink, how can corrupt people fight corruption? As far as am concerned, both EFCC and ICPC exist a means to silence opposition or punish loyalists who goofed in one way or the other, no more no less.

Well back to his remarks on previous cases of corruption charges being discarded by Nigerian courts for lack of evidence, I wonder where UK found the evidences to jail Ibori whereas he was discharged and acquitted by Nigerian Court. Do we then say that our judiciary in Nigeria is incompetent or they have being bought over. -(dis)Honorable Minister of (in)Justice knows better.
Re: Subsidy Probe Report Indictees Will Not Be Prosecuted – Min Of Justice Adoke by Bright2(m): 10:33am On May 04, 2012
We always know the end from the begining,any way am not suprise as all all these probes are going going,......
Re: Subsidy Probe Report Indictees Will Not Be Prosecuted – Min Of Justice Adoke by vanstanzy(m): 10:45am On May 04, 2012
S@NNiE:
The Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Mohammed Bello Adoke, has revealed that the federal government cannot prosecute the people indicted in the House of Representative probe into the management of the fuel subsidy, saying the probe was just a ‘fact-finding’ mission.

Reacting to calls for the prosecution of those allegedly indicted in the report of the House of Representatives Ad-Hoc Committee on Fuel Subsidy Regime, the AGF in a statement on Thursday stated that the government will need relevant agencies to conduct necessary investigations before it can commence the prosecution.

According to the AGF, “government must be guided by the dictates of the rule of law and due process as required of any democratically elected and responsible government. In this regard, the need to ensure that thorough investigations are carried out by relevant law enforcement agencies cannot be overemphasized.”

Even as the House of Representative in a unanimous vote approved all the recommendations of the report, the AGF noted that the exercise carried out by the legislature is “mainly fact-finding.” He further pointed out that the report of the ad-hoc committee and the resolutions adopted by the House of Representatives, were yet to be transmitted to the executive arm of government.

“Nevertheless, when the report and accompanying resolutions are received, the relevant law enforcement and anti-corruption agencies will commence the tedious process of sieving through the report, with a view to assembling all the essential ingredients required to sustain criminal charges that may be filed as a result of such investigations” he added.

Lack of evidence

Referring to recent flaws recorded by the anti-corruption agencies in the trial of some corrupt allegations, Mr Adoke stated that “experience has shown that whenever our law enforcement agencies are stampeded to arraign suspects, the end result is usually the discharge of such suspects by the courts ostensibly for want of evidence.”

“Nigerians must therefore allow our law enforcement agencies to conduct painstaking investigations that will ultimately satisfy the standard of proof required in criminal cases.”

He however admitted that the allegations contained in the subsidy probe report deserve serious action on the part of all those with oversight responsibility over the agencies and persons concerned.

He urged Nigerians to have faith in the processes being undertaken and to patiently wait for the outcome of the investigations and subsequent prosecutions that may flow from the fuel subsidy probe and also the on-going probe by the Senate.

Divert attention

Mr Adoke also reached out to the Save Nigeria Group (SNG) that has given the government a two weeks ultimatum to commence the prosecution of all those indicted in the report; else they will call for a nationwide protest.

The AGF stated that the threat to embark on demonstrations and strike actions will only “compound the problem and divert attention, as well as, the energy that would otherwise have been channeled into productive use by law enforcement agencies”

Mr Adoke reiterated government’s commitment to anti-corruption as he recalled the President’s initial reaction to the Report of the Fuel Subsidy probe, saying that “any person found wanting will be prosecuted irrespective of the person’s standing in the society.”

He therefore enjoined all Nigerians who are concerned about the revelations from the fuel subsidy probe report to be “patient and exercise restraint while these difficult, but essential processes are carried out by appropriate agencies.”

“As Attorney General of the Federation, I swore to uphold the Constitution and I am therefore not oblivious of the constitutional responsibility placed on my shoulders to ensure that those who contravene our laws are held accountable through the legal process” he stated.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/05/03/those-indicted-by-subsidy-probe-report-will-not-be-prosecuted-minister-of-justice/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

@AGF
We know, we weren't even expecting a miracle from you.
Re: Subsidy Probe Report Indictees Will Not Be Prosecuted – Min Of Justice Adoke by vanstanzy(m): 10:59am On May 04, 2012
If NLC and TUC ever come out again to spew RUBBISH about going on a nationwide protest, Nigerians will lynch them. Snitching R.A.T's!!!
Re: Subsidy Probe Report Indictees Will Not Be Prosecuted – Min Of Justice Adoke by mygsmnairacom(m): 11:21am On May 04, 2012
Ok then, over to EFCC for more investigations. Any which way, justice must prevail - the innocent exonorated, and the guilty reprimanded.

https://www.nairaland.com/923056/smart-ways-reduce-extended-family
Re: Subsidy Probe Report Indictees Will Not Be Prosecuted – Min Of Justice Adoke by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:43am On May 04, 2012
Well said Mr AGF. But make sure U, GEJ & others do Ur work rightly. No plea bargain & N500million bail.
Abeg, 4 futures sake!
Re: Subsidy Probe Report Indictees Will Not Be Prosecuted – Min Of Justice Adoke by alfaliman: 11:44am On May 04, 2012
9ja where are heading 2,min of justice want 2 free 1.7 trillion naira money 4 nigerians some group are just eating it alone,god dey ooooooooooo
Re: Subsidy Probe Report Indictees Will Not Be Prosecuted – Min Of Justice Adoke by Paulsquare: 12:38pm On May 04, 2012
I tink what dis man is saying is rite. Until there is real evidence to prove beyoud evry reasonable that there is a criminal charge againt them, then we cant prosecute them otherwise its going to be like d case of ibori when the court said no case submssion because its lack the real evidence needed in court to prosecute criminal charges. Mere saying evidence is not enough in the court of law to prosecute criminal chargeses. Just my own way of seeing things no offence pls
Re: Subsidy Probe Report Indictees Will Not Be Prosecuted – Min Of Justice Adoke by forkadict(m): 1:47pm On May 04, 2012
It is now so obvious that sitting behind computers and screaming our lungs off on Nairaland will not help or change anything in this sick and disgusting country of ours. Corruption is being condoned and even celebrated by our rulers. NIGERIANS PLEASE HOW CAN WE MAKE THOSE BASTAR.DS IN ABUJA LISTEN TO US? SURELY WE CAN NOT CONTINUE THIS WAY FOREVER. WE NEED TO ACT. THE MORE I THINK ABOUT NAIJA WITH JONA AS OUR PRESIDENT WITH PSYCHOPATIC PSYCHOPHANTS LIKE BEEF, ABATI ETC, CORRUPTION, HOW RICH NAIJA IS AND HER CITIZENS WALLOWING IN POVERTY, THE MORE I REALLY WANT AN URGENT REVOLUTION. BLOODY OR OTHERWISE.
Re: Subsidy Probe Report Indictees Will Not Be Prosecuted – Min Of Justice Adoke by dounleedee: 2:45pm On May 04, 2012
One thing is crystal clear; Nigeria as it is presently constituted is a failed state.
I heard the press statement by the AGF on Channels yesterday evening and quite sadly I realised this is the beginning of the end for the country.
There are two major issues here, the (probe) and (the report).
Unlike the report which was the private conclusion of the House Committee, the probe was televised publicly and we all heard and saw the endemic rots in the oil subsidy policy of government.
Maybe the AGF needs a rocket scientist to explain what transpired to him, I don’t think Nigerians are as foolish.
Whether individuals or organisations indicted in the reports are guilty or not, don’t we (the electorates) deserve an explanation and clarification from the Government we elected about abuse of legislated and constitutional processes and procedures from its appointed agents and agencies?
Now our legal minds on NL want us to see the judicial procedural lapses mentioned in the AGF’s statement, Haba!
Even cases that appeared not properly investigated are taken to court to establish if prima facie evidence exists to commence prosecution, this does not in any way impede the power of arrest.
Worse still, how do you investigate crime perpetrated when possible suspects are given free day to run and manipulate the crime scenes?
Is our depleted treasury not enough evidence to start inviting people for questioning?
Maybe at the end of the day, we do deserve the type of government we have, since some Nigerians see the rest of us as docile, gullible, educated illiterate people.
I wonder where the finger(s) is pointing.

2 Likes

Re: Subsidy Probe Report Indictees Will Not Be Prosecuted – Min Of Justice Adoke by mankand(m): 4:31pm On May 04, 2012
I have nevery believed in Jonathan. Thank God I never voted for him because by now, I should have been biting my fingers on why did i Vote. The shoe of Nigeria is Bigger than him. The only way forward in this country is Revolution like Libya, Syria, Tunisia, Egypt.

Nigerians are not ready to bear the pain and this is why we keep suffering and smiling. The opportunity came for us to fight them all Early this year, and we all threw the opportunity away because of fear.

I HOPE OUR GENERATION WILL FORGIVE US ALL.

LONG LIVE NIGERIA

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Probe Report Indictees Will Not Be Prosecuted – Min Of Justice Adoke by teeboi1(m): 10:10pm On May 04, 2012
THE MINISTER SHOULD BE K.LL.D FOR HAVING THE GUTS TO SAY THIS.
Re: Subsidy Probe Report Indictees Will Not Be Prosecuted – Min Of Justice Adoke by kingsyno(m): 4:51pm On May 18, 2012
Well, i'm not surprised.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BREAKING: 75-year-old Former External Affairs Minister, Gambari, Reject Offer / The Controversy Over Lagos. . . .na Who Own The Land ? / Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.