Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,293 members, 7,934,200 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 08:25 PM

oo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / oo (1478 Views)

Kingmaking By Olubukola OO / Tribal Mark Toys For Sale Oo! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

oo by Nobody: 3:43am On May 07, 2012
Who cares
Re: oo by Denise216(f): 4:59am On May 07, 2012
I think one of the side effects of Pan Africanism is the idea that we're all supposed to get along. Its like taking on an obligation you didn't ask for and in this case its race, something none of us chose for ourselves. That's a lot of pressure and its an impossible standard to meet since everybody has the same jerk-potential and looking for an excuse to show it. The common ground will be an economic one, not a cultural one. You'll have to wait until we all get over ourselves-have a seat, it might take a while wink
Re: oo by chrishenzo: 6:21am On May 07, 2012
Coming from Africa doesn't mean that everyone should understand each other. There are a lot of cultural differences, language differences, etc. Please don't act like one of those quack journalists that always write something like this

" 10 people from Canada, 5 people from USA, 6 people from Africa,8 people from England, 4 from Germany, 3 people from Japan and 2 people from China".

Africa is not a country for God sake. If you think that other race, yellow, green, white,pink, indigo, etc stick together then I have no doubt that I have found another Alice in Wonderland.

Regarding the issue of some Nigerians looking down on African American, I think they are suffering from ignorance. Maybe some of the movies they watched, the news they heard, how your society (USA) talk about them(AA), affects their (those Nigerians) sense of reasoning.

I have no issue with anyone accept those that refuses to grow up.
Re: oo by tpia5: 6:35am On May 07, 2012
una no dey tire!!!

anyway, i dont blame you but rather we who hang around, thus enabling people to keep posting recycled topics.
Re: oo by Denise216(f): 1:56pm On May 07, 2012
Coming from Africa doesn't mean that everyone should understand each other. There are a lot of cultural differences, language differences, etc. Please don't act like one of those quack journalists that always write something like this

That's a cop-out statement. Cultural differences don't hinder positive relations, ethnocentrism and prejudice does. Culture is fluid and to be shared not used as an excuse when you can't find a better way to articulate yourself or just have an unreasonable position.

Africa is not a country for God sake.

Duh!
The OP specifically addressed Nigerians not "Africans".

Regarding the issue of some Nigerians looking down on African American, I think they are suffering from ignorance.
No they're just prejudice.

Maybe some of the movies they watched, the news they heard, how your society (USA) talk about them(AA), affects their (those Nigerians) sense of reasoning.

Excuse and cop out.

2 Likes

Re: oo by Nobody: 2:51pm On May 07, 2012
chrishenzo: Coming from Africa doesn't mean that everyone should understand each other. There are a lot of cultural differences, language differences, etc. Please don't act like one of those quack journalists that always write something like this

" 10 people from Canada, 5 people from USA, 6 people from Africa,8 people from England, 4 from Germany, 3 people from Japan and 2 people from China".

Africa is not a country for God sake. If you think that other race, yellow, green, white,pink, indigo, etc stick together then I have no doubt that I have found another Alice in Wonderland.

Regarding the issue of some Nigerians looking down on African American, I think they are suffering from ignorance. Maybe some of the movies they watched, the news they heard, how your society (USA) talk about them(AA), affects their (those Nigerians) sense of reasoning.

I have no issue with anyone accept those that refuses to grow up.

I understand their will always be cultural difference but does that difference makes you better than me or I better than you? People fear what they don't understand. Just because we don't understand either doesn't mean we should be prejudice against each other. We should be able to treat each other equally.
Re: oo by Nobody: 2:54pm On May 07, 2012
tpia@:
una no dey tire!!!

anyway, i dont blame you but rather we who hang around, thus enabling people to keep posting recycled topics.

This is a totally different issue. Not just I have come in contact with other Africans and have been look down upon but others that I know as well. And this has nothing to do with relationship or dating. Just the perception we have toward one another.
Re: oo by Nobody: 7:45pm On May 08, 2012
Denise216: I think one of the side effects of Pan Africanism is the idea that we're all supposed to get along. Its like taking on an obligation you didn't ask for and in this case its race, something none of us chose for ourselves. That's a lot of pressure and its an impossible standard to meet since everybody has the same jerk-potential and looking for an excuse to show it. The common ground will be an economic one, not a cultural one. You'll have to wait until we all get over ourselves-have a seat, it might take a while wink

Just because we did not ask for it does not mean we should not love each with the love of God and respect one another. We do not choose our siblings or parents or where we are born for that matter but do you love your sister or brother any less? Or resistant where you come from?
Re: oo by Fulaman198(m): 8:55pm On May 08, 2012
It boils down to the individual, also a lot of people allow the white-controlled media to brainwash them. When all you see on TV is black Americans committing crimes and doing things, what will most people who don't have a brain for themselves think? Believe the media.

I for one don't trust what America media tells me, and I urge others not to believe the lies. It happens even in Nigeria, where they try to turn people of different religion against one another, or different ethnic background it is a shame, so it is not only the Western world.

I for one try to love all people in this world, and feel that it is our duty as human beings to all try and get along. I respect African Americans as they are our brothers and sisters. Although the OP is right, a lot of Nigerians do have a negative opinion of Americans. I as a Nigerian can say this. I personally do not.

Let us be honest with ourselves as Nigerians, a lot of us do believe what we are told w/o any concrete evidence or facts. Let us not prejudge others if we do not know them. Also let us not believe everything we hear. God gave us a brain for a reason.

1 Like

Re: oo by tpia5: 9:38pm On May 08, 2012
cshall1120:

This is a totally different issue. Not just I have come in contact with other Africans and have been look down upon but others that I know as well. And this has nothing to do with relationship or dating. Just the perception we have toward one another.

ok, sorry you were looked down on.

can the matter rest now?

you dont hear me complaining for being called names by various quarters,races, ethnicities and nationalities, looked down on by anyone who thinks they are better/worse off, and all sorts of experiences I've passed through in the name of living somewhere.

but do I carry a grudge against the misguided or is it arrogant people I meet everyday? No i dont, or rather I try not to, because sometimes its just not worth my while.

so, sorry you have the impression africans dont like you or whatever it is you're saying.

or what exactly do you want africans to do for you? If its husband you're looking for, (assuming you're actually AA and not just a non-AA african trying to stir up trouble), then that shouldnt be a problem.

Just make your intentions known and you'll get somebody. Your ethnicity is your asset for you to use.

1 Like

Re: oo by Nobody: 11:03pm On May 08, 2012
tpia@:

ok, sorry you were looked down on.

can the matter rest now?

you dont hear me complaining for being called names by various quarters,races, ethnicities and nationalities, looked down on by anyone who thinks they are better/worse off, and all sorts of experiences I've passed through in the name of living somewhere.

but do I carry a grudge against the misguided or is it arrogant people I meet everyday? No i dont, or rather I try not to, because sometimes its just not worth my while.

so, sorry you have the impression africans dont like you or whatever it is you're saying.

or what exactly do you want africans to do for you? If its husband you're looking for, (assuming you're actually AA and not just a non-AA african trying to stir up trouble), then that shouldnt be a problem.

Just make your intentions known and you'll get somebody. Your ethnicity is your asset for you to use.

This has nothing to do with man...? Or finding a husband. Nothing I have said has been about this... tongue
Re: oo by tpia5: 2:26am On May 09, 2012
^^all I'm saying is you dont have to stress yourself typing all kinds of research papers in order to get a nigerian husband/man.

its not that difficult.

just go straight to the point and cut out the mumbo jumbo.

you'll get more offers than you'll even know what to do with.
Re: oo by Denise216(f): 12:54am On May 10, 2012
Just because we did not ask for it does not mean we should not love each with the love of God and respect one another. We do not choose our siblings or parents or where we are born for that matter but do you love your sister or brother any less? Or resistant where you come from?

I don't believe there is a God or an obligation to "love" based no skin color. There is no evidence that love exists between siblings based only on their blood relation either. The relationship has to grow based on reciprocating affection and respect. There is enough evidence in human population to support that fact. But my ancestors are from 3 different nations on the West African coast, this is one of them. But when it comes to my culture I only have 1.
Re: oo by muhibro: 2:11pm On Jun 14, 2012
@ cshall1120 did u get my email accept me aite x
Re: oo by anonymous6(f): 3:51pm On Jun 14, 2012
cshall1120: The way in which I came to learn about this site may not have been the best circumstances but now I'm glad I did. I realize that black are just not divided here in the US and but aboard too. I'm wondering why are we so harsh with each other and don't show each other much love and respect? Is there a way to bridge this gap? My experience with most African particularly Nigerians that I have come across look down on African American? Why is this? Is there a way we can come together on a common ground? Just curious, as far as I know we come from Africa and over 90 percent of us don't know our heritage. It is possible someone you are looking down upon could be apart of your lineage, you never know? I understand that some African American are foolish, have no God in them, and make a bad name for Blacks but not all of us are that way. White people would come together no matter where they are born or what class they are in. Can us as black ever come together for a common purpose? R must we all have a crab mentality?

I think there is a way african americans and Black africans can come to a common ground but I feel ignorance, different community mentalities, anger and etc get in the way of that at times from both ends that cause this. I feel it is easier for caribbeans and african americans or caribbeans and Black africans to get along easier then african americans and Black africans.

To me personally I feel economically I see a common ground amongst Black Africans(Nigeria, Liberia, Ghana, Cameroon and etc) economically which I am all for for Africa to progress but culturally it depends, especially with the region of course, for example there willl never be a pan-africanist Africa that these afrocentrics preach alot, it never happened in Africa in the past, it will never happen now or in the future in Africa. When it comes to Black diasporians, well I do feel it is happening but mostly with caribbeans like Jamaicans for example that connected with Ghana and Ethiopia, or with Brazil that connected with Nigeria culturally, and etc. When it comes to African Americans well I don't see a common ground culturally with them and Black africans(except Liberia to a extent), except the ones that take it upon themselves only to connect culturally, which isn't easy
EXAMPLE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jFviE37E2Y

but economically it is possible but for the time being I don't see, and I feel really isn't necessary

1 Like

Re: oo by anonymous6(f): 4:13pm On Jun 14, 2012
Fulaman198: It boils down to the individual, also a lot of people allow the white-controlled media to brainwash them. When all you see on TV is black Americans committing crimes and doing things, what will most people who don't have a brain for themselves think? Believe the media.

I for one don't trust what America media tells me, and I urge others not to believe the lies. It happens even in Nigeria, where they try to turn people of different religion against one another, or different ethnic background it is a shame, so it is not only the Western world.

I for one try to love all people in this world, and feel that it is our duty as human beings to all try and get along. I respect African Americans as they are our brothers and sisters. Although the OP is right, a lot of Nigerians do have a negative opinion of Americans. I as a Nigerian can say this. I personally do not.

Let us be honest with ourselves as Nigerians, a lot of us do believe what we are told w/o any concrete evidence or facts. Let us not prejudge others if we do not know them. Also let us not believe everything we hear. God gave us a brain for a reason.

It is not only the media but experiences from both sides now a days that are the driving force. Many Africans that have bad experiences with Africans Americans and etc tell their people back home so the media is just one component of it. To be honest Nigerian have mixed opinions of Americans regardless of race; me that was born in America has also had good & bad experiences with both white and Black Americans.
Re: oo by Fulaman198(m): 5:08pm On Jun 14, 2012
anonymous6:

It is not only the media but experiences from both sides now a days that are the driving force. Many Africans that have bad experiences with Africans Americans and etc tell their people back home so the media is just one component of it. To be honest Nigerian have mixed opinions of Americans regardless of race; me that was born in America has also had good & bad experiences with both white and Black Americans.

Quoted for truth

I have had bad experiences with both white and black Americans as well. But I have had good experiences as well with both White and Black Americans. Like I said previously, it really boils down to the individual.

(1) (Reply)

Are Using Of Weaves A Sign Of Black Inferiority Complex? feat. Uncle Ruckus / Translation Of Dobale And Ekunle / The Yoruba Goddess In Nigeria & Diasporia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.