Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,449 members, 7,917,372 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 02:26 AM

How Will Islam Make My Life Better? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / How Will Islam Make My Life Better? (5312 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by logicboy: 12:17pm On May 08, 2012
I'm an atheist and my muslim girlfriend said something to me that really got me thinking. She said that islam will improve my life and make me a better person.

But how is that possible? I already enjoy my life as an atheist. Money is not my problem and I volunteer at an African charity for children. What will it benefit me to become a muslim?

Here are the positives of my atheist life

- I dont have to go to a church or mosque and I have free time
- I can eat any food I want, halal or not
- I can mix with my Eastern European friends who drink a lot (I usually dont drink but I drink during social occasions)
- I was a christian for 22 years, and I was not a very happy person as I used to think God was punishing me anytime something bad happened to me but now I feel free
- No fear of hellfire.

This is a serious question because my girlfriend isnt good at explaining herself and she keeps saying that my life will be better as a mulsim. I'm suspecting its because I'm lazy and mostly on the computer but she says it much more than that. So, I really want to know, why anyone would feel that Islam will make my life better
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by LagosShia: 12:36pm On May 08, 2012
the very points (lacking in your life) you think are positive in your life,are the points you very well know would make you a better person if you become a Muslims.but obviously,you are not ready to improve,change or even reason.your girl friend (whatever that means) is wasting her time and also fooling herself.your union with her is bound to end in failure and heartbreak.she may like you and willing to commit sin because of you and to please you (while forgetting Allah).but trust me that will not go on forever.she will realize her mistakes,so long as she is Muslim and remains one in her heart.

for me,i believe i am a better person because i do not drink or smoke.and not doing those is out of conviction and principle not to both because of my religion and to protect my health.

i pray and that gives me hope and strength.i will never contemplate on suicide because i believe Someone mighteir and greater than I am Who made me is there for me and will relieve me in one way or the other.

i try to be clean and hygienic because Islam demands so.

i eat halal food and i do not eat any meat.you are what you eat.

Islam teaches me to be honest and truthful in all my ways and dealings.

I am the best example in the prophets,the Ahlul-Bayt(as),and the good companions of Muhammad (sa) to emulate and be humane and just and a good human being.
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by logicboy: 12:51pm On May 08, 2012
LagosShia: the very points (lacking in your life) you think are positive in your life,are the points you very well know would make you a better person if you become a Muslims.but obviously,you are not ready to improve,change or even reason.your girl friend (whatever that means) is wasting her time and also fooling herself.your union with her is bound to end in failure and heartbreak.she may like you and willing to commit sin because of you and to please you (while forgetting Allah).but trust me that will not go on forever.she will realize her mistakes,so long as she is Muslim and remains one in her heart.

for me,i believe i am a better person because i do not drink or smoke.and not doing those is out of conviction and principle not to both because of my religion and to protect my health.

i pray and that gives me hope and strength.i will never contemplate on suicide because i believe Someone mighteir and greater than I am Who made me is there for me and will relieve me in one way or the other.

i try to be clean and hygienic because Islam demands so.

i eat halal food and i do not eat any meat.you are what you eat.

Islam teaches me to be honest and truthful in all my ways and dealings.

I am the best example in the prophets,the Ahlul-Bayt(as),and the good companions of Muhammad (sa) to emulate and be humane and just and a good human being.

It is good that you are taking care of yourself. Cleanliness is important, muslim or non-muslim.

You already know where I stand with the Koran not accepting my union with my girlfriend- that is a whole different matter.

As for the rest, you have not convinced me of any benefit to my life if I wre to become a muslim. Chinese and Japanese people eat pork and yet, they live long and their old people can still do some martial arts.

I was a christian and I used to pray. However, now that I'm an atheist, there is no difference; prayer or no prayer, I still remain hopeful and strengthened each day.
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by LagosShia: 1:10pm On May 08, 2012
logicboy:

It is good that you are taking care of yourself. Cleanliness is important, muslim or non-muslim.

You already know where I stand with the Koran not accepting my union with my girlfriend- that is a whole different matter.

As for the rest, you have not convinced me of any benefit to my life if I wre to become a muslim. Chinese and Japanese people eat pork and yet, they live long and their old people can still do some martial arts.

I was a christian and I used to pray. However, now that I'm an atheist, there is no difference; prayer or no prayer, I still remain hopeful and strengthened each day.

saying a group of people live long or a group of people are violent is either generalization or stereotype.

among the japanese and chinese,there may be people who live long,do doubt.but it doesn't mean all of them live very long and all of them live healthy lives free of sickness and suffering.also,it is a generalization to say they eat pork.and i am sure you will still find among them those who do not.

also whether or not people eat pork or not,it still doesn't make pork very healthy for human consumption or the best choice of meat.the problems with pork are known.people smoke and may still live long,but smoking isn't healthy.and also the animal the pig is does not make eating it appealing or healthy.

as for the asians,it is good for me to point out to know the number of diseases that have come from that part of their world.i can remember SARS and bird-flu.may be others or even you can tell us of others.
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by logicboy: 1:31pm On May 08, 2012
LagosShia:

saying a group of people live long or a group of people are violent is either generalization or stereotype.

among the japanese and chinese,there may be people who live long,do doubt.but it doesn't mean all of them live very long and all of them live healthy lives free of sickness and suffering.also,it is a generalization to say they eat pork.and i am sure you will still find among them those who do not.

also whether or not people eat pork or not,it still doesn't make pork very healthy for human consumption or the best choice of meat.the problems with pork are known.people smoke and may still live long,but smoking isn't healthy.and also the animal the pig is does not make eating it appealing or healthy.

as for the asians,it is good for me to point out to know the number of diseases that have come from that part of their world.i can remember SARS and bird-flu.may be others or even you can tell us of others.

You're deviating. How does islam improve my life?

If you are Nigerian, you must know of palm wine. My and many other Nigerian people's forefathers drank palm wine and we know that people in the village lived up to over a 100 years. My grandparents eat non-halal meat everyday of their lives and lived long. They also were pagans. Palm wine was a normal occurrence.

Pork is a common dish in Chinese and Japanese cuisines. SARS has nothing to do with halal or haraam.
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by LagosShia: 1:49pm On May 08, 2012
logicboy:

You're deviating. How does islam improve my life?

i answered the point you raised.

If you are Nigerian, you must know of palm wine. My and many other Nigerian people's forefathers drank palm wine and we know that people in the village lived up to over a 100 years. My grandparents eat non-halal meat everyday of their lives and lived long. They also were pagans. Palm wine was a normal occurrence.

Pork is a common dish in Chinese and Japanese cuisines. SARS has nothing to do with halal or haraam.

eating halal is the healthier way.it doesn't mean that if you do not eat halal,you'd straightaway fall down and die.it is not like that.

eating halal meat is first of all eating an animal that is slaughtered with the name of God recited upon it,since God is the provider of everything.

halal whether meat or drink is the better and healthier way.now those who smoke and drink or eat snakes and non-halal meat may live long.it doesn't mean each and every one of them has to die young.this is because each human being reacts different.they experience different reactions in their bodies and therefore health repercussions vary.in order to be on the safe or safer side,it is best to eat halal.

why do we should all eat halal?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EWwm7CKsyE
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by logicboy: 2:17pm On May 08, 2012
Halal is not the healthier way. If it were so, nutritionists/biologists would have advocated for it. People who eat halal still get stomach and heart cancer.

You did not answer my point. What benefits do I get from being a muslim? I can not count halal as a benefit as my girlfriend has to shop an extra hour looking for halal products while I can buy meat from any supermarket.

I am not asking this question to argue with you. If I wanted to bash your religion (which is one of my hobbies) I would have asked an annoying question.

This is a honest question because my girlfriend keeps saying that Islam will improve my life but she is always scared of expalining why because she is not good at debating and she's afraid that I might convert her if we argue. So I want to know why someone would say that when I'm already happy with my life!
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by mazaje(m): 3:10pm On May 08, 2012
What is this halal no halal brouhaha. . .He asked a simple question, how will Islam make his life better and lagoshia is busy dwelling on halal food. . .Japan, Norway, Denmark, Switzerland and Finland have some of the highest life expectancies in the world higher than most muslim countries yet they do not eat halal. . .So what is this broauhaha about halal. . .

How will islam make his life better as an atheist?. . .
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by LagosShia: 3:11pm On May 08, 2012
logicboy:

Halal is not the healthier way. If it were so, nutritionists/biologists would have advocated for it. People who eat halal still get stomach and heart cancer.
if you watch the video i presnted you'd have realized that.

You did not answer my point. What benefits do I get from being a muslim? I can not count halal as a benefit as my girlfriend has to shop an extra hour looking for halal products while I can buy meat from any supermarket.
i have stated a few points.if it is good for you then fine.if not,then better luck next time.

I am not asking this question to argue with you. If I wanted to bash your religion (which is one of my hobbies) I would have asked an annoying question.
obviously,you can see the kind of person you are from your words.

when answers are provided to you,you then go ahead to repeat the question.i simply dont have to bother myself.now you are no longer looking for the answers but to argue.

show your girl friend this thread and let us know her reaction.

This is a honest question because my girlfriend keeps saying that Islam will improve my life but she is always scared of expalining why because she is not good at debating and she's afraid that I might convert her if we argue. So I want to know why someone would say that when I'm already happy with my life!

you brought up the issue of drinking.your forefathers and mine too may have drank.but the negative effects of drinking is not limited to causing bad health.it also have social problems that even christians who tolerate alcohol are complaining about:

https://www.nairaland.com/889615/drunkenness#10723166

there many social ills that could be limited from the use of alcohol if you are Muslim and do not drink.
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by LagosShia: 3:13pm On May 08, 2012
mazaje: What is this halal no halal brouhaha. . .He asked a simple question, how will Islam make his life better and lagoshia is busy dwelling on halal food. . .Japan, Norway, Denmark, Switzerland and Finland have some of the highest life expectancies in the world higher than most muslim countries yet they do not eat halal. . .So what is this broauhaha about halal. . .

How will islam make his life better as an atheist?. . .

you are an idi.ot.and ofcourse one of the ways Islam would improve his life is to prevent him from being like you.here is the OP and what he said about halal food;why has discussing it become my diversion?:

logicboy: I'm an atheist and my muslim girlfriend said something to me that really got me thinking. She said that islam will improve my life and make me a better person.

But how is that possible? I already enjoy my life as an atheist. Money is not my problem and I volunteer at an African charity for children. What will it benefit me to become a muslim?

-[size=18pt] I can eat any food I want, halal or not[/size]
- I can mix with my Eastern European friends who drink a lot (I usually dont drink but I drink during social occasions)
- I was a christian for 22 years, and I was not a very happy person as I used to think God was punishing me anytime something bad happened to me but now I feel free
- No fear of hellfire.

This is a serious question because my girlfriend isnt good at explaining herself and she keeps saying that my life will be better as a mulsim. I'm suspecting its because I'm lazy and mostly on the computer but she says it much more than that. So, I really want to know, why anyone would feel that Islam will make my life better
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by maclatunji: 3:31pm On May 08, 2012
logicboy: I'm an atheist and my muslim girlfriend said something to me that really got me thinking. She said that islam will improve my life and make me a better person.

- I can eat any food I want, halal or not
- No fear of hellfire.

Well for starters, it will prevent you from asking questions all over the place like a lost person in the middle of no where. grin You are obviously lacking a sense of purpose and direction- it is that simple.
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by logicboy: 4:07pm On May 08, 2012
maclatunji:

Well for starters, it will prevent you from asking questions all over the place like a lost person in the middle of no where. grin You are obviously lacking a sense of purpose and direction- it is that simple.

Lol....what does the Koran teach you about judging others?

"Quran 88:25: For behold, unto Us will be their return,
Quran 88:26: Then it will be for (only) Us to call them to account"

I do not lack purpose or direction. I askthese questions to learn. Religious people sometimes come out with very good answers and insight to things.

So, how can islam improve my life?
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by maclatunji: 4:52pm On May 08, 2012
logicboy:

Lol....what does the Koran teach you about judging others?

"Quran 88:25: For behold, unto Us will be their return,
Quran 88:26: Then it will be for (only) Us to call them to account"

I do not lack purpose or direction. I askthese questions to learn. Religious people sometimes come out with very good answers and insight to things.

So, how can islam improve my life?

Secondly, it can definitely help to reduce your vulgarity. Your posts constitute a good percentage of posts I have to hide. Mend your ways.
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by mazaje(m): 5:04pm On May 08, 2012
LagosShia:

you are an idi.ot.and ofcourse one of the ways Islam would improve his life is to prevent him from being like you.here is the OP and what he said about halal food;why has discussing it become my diversion?:

. . .You are clearly out of gas. . .Keep on keeping on. . .
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by logicboy: 5:26pm On May 08, 2012
maclatunji:

Secondly, it can definitely help to reduce your vulgarity. Your posts constitute a good percentage of posts I have to hide. Mend your ways.

You are confusing me with Logic Mind.

Logic Mind. Logicboy.
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by logicboy: 5:32pm On May 08, 2012
LagosShia:
if you watch the video i presnted you'd have realized that.

i have stated a few points.if it is good for you then fine.if not,then better luck next time.

obviously,you can see the kind of person you are from your words.

when answers are provided to you,you then go ahead to repeat the question.i simply dont have to bother myself.now you are no longer looking for the answers but to argue.

show your girl friend this thread and let us know her reaction.

you brought up the issue of drinking.your forefathers and mine too may have drank.but the negative effects of drinking is not limited to causing bad health.it also have social problems that even christians who tolerate alcohol are complaining about:

https://www.nairaland.com/889615/drunkenness#10723166

there many social ills that could be limited from the use of alcohol if you are Muslim and do not drink.

You did not provide answers to me. Surely, Islam is more than halal food and not engaging in haram alcohol. The irony is that I eat a lot of Halal food because I have a muslim girlfriend and the last time I touched alcohol was last year. I only drink when there is a reason to drink.

I can not show my girlfriend this thread. It's bad enough that make fun of her when she has to spend time in the supermarket looking for halal products or when I tease her for being ashamed of the burkha/niqab
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by vedaxcool(m): 5:44pm On May 08, 2012
LagosShia:

Welll, you might want to remind him of his electricity was invented statement, it works wonders for me, it acts like an antiseptic soap that wash away all germs leaving the thread squeaky halal, as his methodology for arguing always defies all known laws of common sense and reason.

maclatunji:

Ooouuuuuchh! Why do you have to hit so hard? And I think this is the greatest point yet, Islam provide purpose and direction to man.
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by logicboy: 5:54pm On May 08, 2012
vedaxcool:

Ooouuuuuchh! Why do you have to hit so hard? And I think this is the greatest point yet, Islam provide purpose and direction to man.

What is this purpose that you are talking about?
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by LagosShia: 6:24pm On May 08, 2012
logicboy:

What is this purpose that you are talking about?

the purpose of life.where you came from and where you are heading to and how you should manage this present life to reach at a higher level of existence.that is what Islam is.it presents practical advice that reduce the risks in life and move you forward.you either follow it or follow what you please and also displease God.then wherever you end up finding yourself,blame it on you.
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by LagosShia: 6:25pm On May 08, 2012
vedaxcool:

Welll, you might want to remind him of his electricity was invented statement, it works wonders for me, it acts like an antiseptic soap that wash away all germs leaving the thread squeaky halal, as his methodology for arguing always defies all known laws of common sense and reason.

LOL cheesy
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by logicboy: 6:32pm On May 08, 2012
LagosShia:

the purpose of life.where you came from and where you are heading to and how you should manage this present life to reach at a higher level of existence.that is what Islam is.it presents practical advice that reduce the risks in life and move you forward.you either follow it or follow what you please and also displease God.then wherever you end up finding yourself,blame it on you.

You are being abstract. Are you saying that the purpose of life is to go to heaven? Please, can you give some examples of this practical advice from islam?

Maybe if you used your life, it would be easier. How has islam helped you in life?
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by LagosShia: 6:52pm On May 08, 2012
logicboy:

You are being abstract. Are you saying that the purpose of life is to go to heaven? Please, can you give some examples of this practical advice from islam?
you cannot summarize the purpose of life into one point.life is bigger than just going to paradise even though that is the ultimate wish for everyone.

Imam Ali (as) has described three categories of worshippers:

1.) those who worship God-Almighty for the sake of eternal rewards, which is like -worshipping of merchants, (for the sake of profit).

2.) Consists of those who worship God-Almighty because of the fear of God and retributions, which is like –the worshipping of slaves (for the sake of fear).

3.) those who worship God-Almighty because to express their appreciation and thanks for His bounties and favors which is like the -worshipping of freeman.”

-Bihar al-Anwar, vol 70, p-l96.

the most important thing in this life is enjoining good and forbidden evil.every act in Islam that is commanded has the aim of achieving those two results.

Maybe if you used your life, it would be easier. How has islam helped you in life?

Islam has helped me alot because it has given me strength and hope.i have never despaired or lost faith in Allah (swt).i dont club and i dont drink or smoke.i avoid places of bad association where my companions have gone to and ended up in trouble.

Holy Quran 6:162
"Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds:"
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by maclatunji: 6:55pm On May 08, 2012
logicboy:

This is a great question. Like I said earlier, Islam gives a sense of direction, I don't just do things because everybody is doing them, I don't have doubts about morality, what is right or wrong and why. All of those things are addressed. I don't have to learn the hard way that drinking, smoking, fornication, vulgarity etc. are bad. It all comes naturally. I am not afraid of the unseen or unknown. You will not believe the number of adults that are afraid of being in a dark room just because they are at the mercy of their imagination and are without knowledge of what can and what can't harm them and how to protect themselves.

Islam gives me strength and conviction wherever I go- it helps me become as close as possible to being the best I can truly be. Maslow's self-actualization readily comes to mind here. A good Muslim will be very close to this level on his hierachy of needs because by default he always tries his best and is at ease even if he does not always get or achieve what he wants.

Islam keeps me at peace with myself, other people, my environment and best of all my creator.
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by Nobody: 6:56pm On May 08, 2012
maclatunji:

huh? At least logicboy's posts contain far less hate than constantly emanates from predominantly muslim areas of the middle east. You simply need to turn on the TV to have your stomach churned with revulsion at the violent and vulgar language used against jews and christians.
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by Nobody: 6:57pm On May 08, 2012
maclatunji:
Islam keeps me at peace with myself, other people, my environment and best of all my creator.

apparently this doesnt apply to the billions of muslims in north africa and the middle east. Oh wait... northern nigeria is a close example.
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by mazaje(m): 6:59pm On May 08, 2012
vedaxcool:

Sure, like the coffee is one of the scientific inventions of islam right? as stated by lagoshia while you were busy cheering him on as him stating the scientific inventions of islam, no?. . . . .Talk about methodology of arguments always defying common sense. . .Coffee is indeed a scientific invention of islam. .Next!.. .
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by Nobody: 7:20pm On May 08, 2012
Islam is the only reason flying through any airport has become a herculean task. 7 yrs ago when i first came to the states, flying domestic used to be no more difficult than a brief glance at your boarding pass. today you have to budget to arrive at your local airport at least 2 hrs in advance or more depending on how big of a hub it is. 1.5 hrs of that time is spent on security checks (shoes, belts, laptops, coins, cream, soda...)

Yeah i can see how islam has improved my life...
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by maclatunji: 7:38pm On May 08, 2012
davidylan:

apparently this doesnt apply to the billions of muslims in north africa and the middle east. Oh wait... northern nigeria is a close example.

Human beings are bound to encounter strife, it is in the nature of life on earth. It is very good that you have pointed-out North Africa and the Middle East. List the countries under great strife there- is Islam allowed to manifest in its pristine form? Is it in Libya under Gaddafi, Egypt under Mubarak, Iraq under Sadam Hussein, Syria under the Al-Assad dynasty.

The problem you have is that you engage in shallow analysis. The average Muslim will tell you that there is no classic Islamic state in the world at present. The closest thing to it at the moment is Iran but even there you can punch holes in their political system.

The beauty of Islam is that if for any reason you cannot enjoy it at a national level, you can still benefit from it at a communual or personal level.

You speak of violence in Northern Nigeria, that is not a dent to Islam. It is a dent to Muslims who have failed to stay true to the teachings of Islam- I mean the leadership. Buhari is a Muslim, why is he at odds with other Muslim leaders in the North? It is because he exhibits a lot of the qualities Islam brings forth- honesty, humility, kindness to the poor and steadfastness whilst most of the other leaders don't.

Add to that, woeful leadership by our present Christian President and you can see why Northern Nigeria is the way it is.

David, nobody has said you won't find Muslims with defects- all we say is that Islam is the right path ordained by our creator. Different Muslims will advance on that path. Your hypocritical self will not see good things happening in the UAE, Qatar, Malaysia, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Tunisia, Brunei and so on.
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by logicboy: 7:47pm On May 08, 2012
LagosShia:
you cannot summarize the purpose of life into one point.life is bigger than just going to paradise even though that is the ultimate wish for everyone.

Imam Ali (as) has described three categories of worshippers:

1.) those who worship God-Almighty for the sake of eternal rewards, which is like -worshipping of merchants, (for the sake of profit).

2.) Consists of those who worship God-Almighty because of the fear of God and retributions, which is like –the worshipping of slaves (for the sake of fear).

3.) those who worship God-Almighty because to express their appreciation and thanks for His bounties and favors which is like the -worshipping of freeman.”

-Bihar al-Anwar, vol 70, p-l96.

the most important thing in this life is enjoining good and forbidden evil.every act in Islam that is commanded has the aim of achieving those two results.

Islam has helped me alot because it has given me strength and hope.i have never despaired or lost faith in Allah (swt).i dont club and i dont drink or smoke.i avoid places of bad association where my companions have gone to and ended up in trouble.

Holy Quran 6:162
"Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds:"

Thanks for your answer. I was looking for soemthing like this.

However, I cant stop clubbing. I hardly go clubbing but I see it as a peer thing. I only go clubbing when all my friends are in town and we go as a group and buy a table then pop champagne.

You say that you dont drink or smoke but I will let you know that most of my muslim friends who are children of these so called Nigerian leaders are cocaine heads. Islam didnt help them.
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by Nobody: 7:47pm On May 08, 2012
maclatunji:

Human beings are bound to encounter strife, it is in the nature of life on earth. It is very good that you have pointed-out North Africa and the Middle East. List the countries under great strife there- is Islam allowed to manifest in its pristine form? Is it in Libya under Gaddafi, Egypt under Mubarak, Iraq under Sadam Hussein, Syria under the Al-Assad dynasty.

1. While i agree with you that strife is itself a part of human nature, we can no longer PRETEND that the VAST majority of violent areas are in muslim countries. We also cannot continue to decieve ourselves that we are not aware of the fact that MAJORITY of the terrorists today are muslims. We also cannot continue to PRETEND not to know that muslim nations are the LEAST FREE, several still practice slavery openly today and are bastions of violent dictatorships! Nigger pls... enough! We are not fools here.

2. Oh please, there is no country on earth practicing christianity, judaism or hinduism in its pristine form - how many of them are violent bastions of death?
Secondly, you keep blathering on the usual excuse that these countries are not practicing islam in its pristine form... why? Where is this "pristine" form of islam you speak about? Are you hiding it in your bedroom?

maclatunji:
The problem you have is that you engage in shallow analysis. The average Muslim will tell you that there is no classic Islamic state in the world at present. The closest thing to it at the moment is Iran but even there you can punch holes in their political system.

So what? there is no classic christian or hindu state either.

maclatunji:
The beauty of Islam is that if for any reason you cannot enjoy it at a national level, you can still benefit from it at a communual or personal level.

and this "beauty" is where? Afterall no one practices the pristine form of islam no?

maclatunji:
You speak of violence in Northern Nigeria, that is not a dent to Islam. It is a dent to Muslims who have failed to stay true to the teachings of Islam- I mean the leadership. Buhari is a Muslim, why is he at odds with other Muslim leaders in the North? It is because he exhibits a lot of the qualities Islam brings forth- honesty, humility, kindness to the poor and steadfastness whilst most of the other leaders don't.

Nigeria, Sudan, Syria, Jordan, Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Egypt, Lebanon ... seriously? Its all about muslims who failed to stay true to the teachings of islam? Or that islam itself has an ideology of death?

maclatunji:
David, nobody has said you won't find Muslims with defects- all we say is that Islam is the right path ordained by our creator. Different Muslims will advance on that path. Your hypocritical self will not see good things happening in the UAE, Qatar, Malaysia, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Tunisia, Brunei and so on.

We dont want perfect muslims. We just want to be able to get through an airport in 30 mins like it was before muslims started blowing us out of the sky period.

sorry good things happening where? UAE, Qatar, Brunei are tiny oil-maintained fiefdoms that are mostly being developed by Aemricans and Europeans.
Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Morocco? Are you kidding me? grin Is that why muslims are queuing to France, Germany or Holland rather than head to Morocco?

Pointing out 2-3 relatively stable muslim states does not erase the fact that 80% of predominantly muslim countries are ridden with strife and the blood of the innocent.
Re: How Will Islam Make My Life Better? by logicboy: 7:52pm On May 08, 2012
maclatunji:

This is a great question. Like I said earlier, Islam gives a sense of direction, I don't just do things because everybody is doing them, I don't have doubts about morality, what is right or wrong and why. All of those things are addressed. I don't have to learn the hard way that drinking, smoking, fornication, vulgarity etc. are bad. It all comes naturally. I am not afraid of the unseen or unknown. You will not believe the number of adults that are afraid of being in a dark room just because they are at the mercy of their imagination and are without knowledge of what can and what can't harm them and how to protect themselves.

Islam gives me strength and conviction wherever I go- it helps me become as close as possible to being the best I can truly be. Maslow's self-actualization readily comes to mind here. A good Muslim will be very close to this level on his hierachy of needs because by default he always tries his best and is at ease even if he does not always get or achieve what he wants.

Thank you for your answer. However, how does your islam help you with Dawah. Islam does help with discipline (Kai, I watch my girlfriend waking up to pray- not an easy thing to do everyday 5 times). However, I find that many muslims (In my opinion) are seriously afraid to debate their beliefs with unbelievers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Regarding The Case When The Day Of Eid Falls On Friday / Ruling On Abiding By The Law Of The Land In Western Countries / The Status Of The Five Daily Prayers In Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.