Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,634 members, 7,889,036 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 08:54 PM

Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume (14357 Views)

Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike / Sacked Lagos Doctors Reinstatement Letters Ready / Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by ashile(m): 11:53am On May 11, 2012
you sacked 7 hundred plus doctors and recruited 3 hundred plus and you say normalcy has returned knowing that only but a few lagosians know about the new recruit. lets see what the story or testimony would be when the whole lagos starts rushing to the hospital and see if those new blooded doctors won't wear out soon and see how their tolerant and patient value would hope. i just want to hear that he\s still recruiting.

SHIKENA
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by alajikineo: 12:10pm On May 11, 2012
Fashola employed casual workers to replace staffs and some fools are congratulatng him.if he is confident he's doin d rite tin,he should employ staffs and let's c if d mortalities in his hospitals won't skyrocket.continuity is d norm in medicine because knowledge is passed down by hands and not tru textbooks alone.if any of u is confident of his current workforce,den feel free to put ur lives in deir hands.God help u.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by afrodiva: 12:19pm On May 11, 2012
ojubi: This serve the doctors well, and it is a reminder to others even those in medical school that medicine is not alpha and omega among courses.
This doctors will almost always want you to worship them b/c they read medicine.

They claim they are the best in society so they should be paid 10 times higher than all other professionals and then make them lords over every other medical professionals.

Mr. Doctor listen to me, Medicine is not better that history or anyother course.
You choose to be a doctor i choose to be somthing else, so why ll you lord over me?
You need to see the way doctors look down on nurses, pharmarcist,and other medical professionals.

You and your post reek of envy. Be objective and stop being jealous. Society needs doctors whether you like them or not, and yes they are at the top of the health tree because they have the highest level of responsibility and decision making as regards human life.nobody goes to hospital to see a nurse or pharmacist. Without doctors prescribing meds and therapies, nurses pharmacist, labworkers would be near redundant.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Koolking(m): 12:19pm On May 11, 2012
What impact will these newly hired 373 doctors make in Lagos state of over 15million people? In the first instance, the 788 doctors sacked were never sufficient. Lagos state government should look very well before it leaps further. If Govt allows its bluff and arrogance to take the driver's seat, there is a disaster awaiting. I am always of the opinion of engaging in dialogue in resolving industrial disputes. After all the people are the employers while the govt acts as the managers and intermediators.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Nobody: 12:23pm On May 11, 2012
alajikineo: Fashola employed casual workers to replace staffs and some fools are congratulatng him.if he is confident he's doin d rite tin,he should employ staffs and let's c if d mortalities in his hospitals won't skyrocket.continuity is d norm in medicine because knowledge is passed down by hands and not tru textbooks alone.if any of u is confident of his current workforce,den feel free to put ur lives in deir hands.God help u.

God bless you....You spoke like a true professional...KNOWLEDGE IS PASSED DOWN BY HANDS not thru books...If it is right to sack all consultants and residents and replace them with new doctors, God will judge. That is why it's called a teaching hospital...A hospital where doctors work and learn... Illiteracy is not good ooo... You sack a doctor with 30 yrs experience and replace with a new doctor....That is a big joke...Rather than sack the doctors he should av negotiated...That is bad leadership. Who suffers...The patient... I cn remember wen I wanted to do an operation. My dad with over 30 years of experience took me to a more senior colleague to do the operation because he thot that person could do it better...That is experience...You don't read experience inside textbook...I'm sorry to say that this will not work because professionalism thrives on continuity.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Nobody: 12:24pm On May 11, 2012
Why the beef nah ? Take am easy ooo !
ojubi: This serve the doctors well, and it is a reminder to others even those in medical school that medicine is not alpha and omega among courses.
This doctors will almost always want you to worship them b/c they read medicine.

They claim they are the best in society so they should be paid 10 times higher than all other professionals and then make them lords over every other medical professionals.

Mr. Doctor listen to me, Medicine is not better that history or anyother course.
You choose to be a doctor i choose to be somthing else, so why ll you lord over me?
You need to see the way doctors look down on nurses, pharmarcist,and other medical professionals.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by BabaO2: 12:25pm On May 11, 2012
I'm very surprise at the reaction of some folks here.

If GEJ ever tried doing what Fashola just did, these same ACN
and their cronies including expired analyst seeking relevance
will manipulate the media to chew him raw.

We should put ourselves in the shoes of those Doctors. How does one
rationalise broken agreement on the part of the Lagos State government.
For God's sake, these Dictors are not more greedy than our University lecturers (ASUU)
and the Federal Govt has been managing them over the years.

Funny still how The Nation Newspaper applies every logic to rationalise
evil actions of South West governors except Ondo.
(Report Post) (Quote Post) Like
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by isleman(m): 8:39am

I abhor your thinking.
Why are you so myopic and perpetual gullible? Why is it that you people always attempt to discredit any strong and uncommon solutions proffered to endless confrontation issues by calling it ACN this ACN that
When the doctors were on duty, we are recording cheap deaths daily, so what is so big deal about them that they should be rated above civil service rules.
Their must be sanity and and solution solving approach in governance.
Now the sacked doctors are sore afraid of their future, if they are given opportunity to reapply for the post, they will jump at it with fasting and prayer.
The new employed doctors are Nigerians and they are ready to work, govt approach should be commended. Nigeria doctors should stop living in self aggrandizement
Other issue in this country is security. The best and solution solving approach is state police. I hope people like you will not see it as ACN blue print and do away with it. Imagine it to have police like LASMA on our roads and streets, how could any of these daily crimes be committed freely?

1 Like

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by member479760: 12:35pm On May 11, 2012
where this man get 300+ doctors right away? or na those sabo among dem?
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Nobody: 12:36pm On May 11, 2012
But have u seen the standard of govt hospitals in Nigeria?? It's rotten!!! Poorly equipped..Why? Whose fault is that? People die..hw much can the doctors do??We have had bad leadership to the point where we don't know what good leadership is anymore..My brotherinlaw is a doctor in one of these govt hospitals, his office gave me the creeps...it's not somewhere u want to goto every morning..why this is not about Doctors or Lecturers or any other profession, it's about our sick government!!!
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by queensmith: 12:37pm On May 11, 2012
I don't think doctors should ever strike, ever! Gambling with lives over a few extra naira? cmon! I will like to know the ethics taught in Nigerian Medical Schools. This industrial action seems completely unethical to me and should probably cause the leaders to lose their license.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by peter2012: 12:50pm On May 11, 2012
NLC should intervene in this issue of the sacked doctors. Its unfair. Millions was spent in Tinubu's B-day but to pay the agreed small fee for important people like doctors is not possible.hmmmm
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Ilaje44(m): 1:00pm On May 11, 2012
emmydex: @bellabrigs, I concord wt u. Spending 6yrs in med sch was neva beans, wt d whole expensive medical books. Only to graduate to be paid stipends. The govt of lagos, hw much do they collect as allawee, all their travel allowance and etc nd more so afta 6yrs, one wud spend close to 6yrs or more to bcome a consultant. Abroad, drs dnt go on strike because they r well paid for their jobs. But Nigeria everything is different. D drs recruited wud soon leave cos they wil need to renew their licenses wt MDCN, then they will be hooked.

Who told you they dont embark on strike abroad? Have you lived abroad? The diference between Abroad, specifically here in Germany, is crystal clear: HUMAN LIFE is sacred here. You can not strike when it threatens the life of human beings. If you do, you loose your accreditation and you would have a criminal case as well as a civil case against you. Now in Nigeria, there is absolutely no regard for life. It is always MONEY FIRST. If those doctors tried what they are doing over there abroad, a lot of them would not only be sitting in gaol, but their life savings would have gone to compensate the victims of their irresponsible action. Nigeria is a shame, a den of lawlessness...
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by jumpmasta(m): 1:04pm On May 11, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
Na by force to work for government? Abeg shift comot if you wan the job, plenty people dey wait for thesame chance. Wetin the doctors be sef?

i hope the next time u get sick,u will be treated by a herbalist,,,,slowpoke
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Ibime(m): 1:08pm On May 11, 2012
Please abeg - Nigerians, Nigerian webmasters and Nigerian journalists - you cannot resume a job you are starting for the first time.

1 Like

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by chuks49(m): 1:09pm On May 11, 2012
allycat: Oh and for those asking what will happen if the new doctors go on strike ? The answer is foreign docs whom they will pay higher salaries and them justify privatising the health sector. Already they have started The BT diagnostic lab( BT stands for Bola Tinubu) inside LASUTH is a 'state of the art' laboratory/ diagnostic centre in the hospital. The prices for investigations there more than double those in the hospital labs. The staff of the centre are paid almost double what other staff in the hospital are paid. And while that place thrives, the hospitals labs and Xrays department have been left to rot.
From January this year the theatre in LASUTH has had problems with electricity so surgeries have been cancelled or postponed and most surgeons there were frustrated. Not so for the CCU, a private ward with it's own theatre and ICU run by a certain Dr Tinubu. If you have the cash you can get any surgery done there for a minimum of about 300k. Presnsently while the rest of the hospital is groaning under the lack of bed space they are building a 3 storey structure for CCU. This is where government officials are usually admitted when they have problems before being flown out of the country.
That will be the fate of LAGOS state health services.

Had the Doctors gone on strike to protest these issues you raised they would have garnered enough public sympathy and the storey today would have been different, instead they rather sacrifice their sick patients in the alter of negotiation.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by chuks49(m): 1:15pm On May 11, 2012
12 inches!:

God bless you....You spoke like a true professional...KNOWLEDGE IS PASSED DOWN BY HANDS not thru books...If it is right to sack all consultants and residents and replace them with new doctors, God will judge. That is why it's called a teaching hospital...A hospital where doctors work and learn... Illiteracy is not good ooo... You sack a doctor with 30 yrs experience and replace with a new doctor....That is a big joke...Rather than sack the doctors he should av negotiated...That is bad leadership. Who suffers...The patient... I cn remember wen I wanted to do an operation. My dad with over 30 years of experience took me to a more senior colleague to do the operation because he thot that person could do it better...That is experience...You don't read experience inside textbook...I'm sorry to say that this will not work because professionalism thrives on continuity.

Its wrong to conclude that these newly recruited Doctors are incompetent without seeing their credentials.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by chuks49(m): 1:15pm On May 11, 2012
12 inches!:

Its wrong to conclude that these newly recruited Doctors are incompetent without seeing their credentials.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by chuks49(m): 1:21pm On May 11, 2012
nakedall: where this man get 300+ doctors right away? or na those sabo among dem?

Not all doctors accepts the methods used by their egg heads in pursuing their cause.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by jumpmasta(m): 1:22pm On May 11, 2012

Either you were kicked out from medical school or your low jamb scores could not fetch you medicine as a course...either way you can still buy jamb form for medicine tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Delafruita(m): 1:27pm On May 11, 2012
peter2012: NLC should intervene in this issue of the sacked doctors. Its unfair. Millions was spent in Tinubu's B-day but to pay the agreed small fee for important people like doctors is not possible.hmmmm
you are senseless.doctors have a God-complex and believe every other profession is beneath them
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by ngak: 1:29pm On May 11, 2012
373 is propaganda. In reality 97 were hired. I am currently in lasuth and am yet to see anyone that resembles a doctor
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by sshegzzyy: 1:33pm On May 11, 2012
dumodust: They're still in a chatty mood because of low patient turnout, I'm going to spread the word...wait till the full force of Lagos residents hits the inexperienced. Two doctors for randle hospital? Let's watch and see whether they will even be able to go home and change...system overload. Stupid policy by stupid politicians gambling with people's lives...e ko ni death o!
dumodust: They're still in a chatty mood because of low patient turnout, I'm going to spread the word...wait till the full force of Lagos residents hits the inexperienced. Two doctors for randle hospital? Let's watch and see whether they will even be able to go home and change...system overload. Stupid policy by stupid politicians gambling with people's lives...e ko ni death o!
well said
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by olajay5: 1:37pm On May 11, 2012
ballabriggs: Another Government propaganda! 378 Docs for 16 million Lagosians- with a high population growth rate. Any government that does not value the health of its nation is a failed government- that is what development is all about. The Docs have only asked for the basics to keep them going. They're not asking to be paid what their counterparts earn earn in Europe- that would be unreasonable. It's a very myopic decision on the part of the government. You would even spend more at the end of the day as the health condition worsens. But do they care, they come to the UK for NHS treatment where the Doctors are better remunerated leaving our own Docs to rot. I don't wanna see Docs taking bribes in Hospitals to alter health reports, it means something is wrong with their remuneration. It is a shame on Nigeria. How do you develop with hungry Doctors? Any development plan without taking this into consideration is a failed plan.

Please remember that this is an on-going process as interviews are still been conducted for hundreds who have applied for the jobs. Just wait and see, the next few weeks many more doctors will resume. I tell u, 90% of doctors in the private hospitals will jump at this offer. Let the sacked doctors go and experience the "first-class" working condition of thier counterparts in the private hospitals. Moreover, most of the senior consultants did not join the strike, so they will support the news ones with thier experience. No employee is bigger than his employer.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Nobody: 1:49pm On May 11, 2012
olajay5:

Please remember that this is an on-going process as interviews are still been conducted for hundreds who have applied for the jobs. Just wait and see, the next few weeks many more doctors will resume. I tell u, 90% of doctors in the private hospitals will jump at this offer. Let the sacked doctors go and experience the "first-class" working condition of thier counterparts in the private hospitals. Moreover, most of the senior consultants did not join the strike, so they will support the news ones with thier experience. No employee is bigger than his employer.
True, the sacked doctors are on level 13 and below as reported in the dailies.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by edicolove: 1:49pm On May 11, 2012
As much as I don't support doctors going on strike because of the consequences, I must say that Fashola goofed here big time. This is one battle he cannot win. Those of you posting funny stuff are so ignorant its baffles me. These are medical doctors, not mechanics. They are irreplaceable and inddispensible. Where have you seen doctors on the streets looking for jobs? They are not like other proffesions. My brother is a consultant surgeon. Doctors don't go around looking for Jobs unless they are neophytes with little experience.

These doctors you are talking about are specialists in some many complex fields. How do you want to replace and ENT specialist or a heart surgeon? This is a very big and expensive joke. Never heard of this in my life. Is this the man some of you are advocating should rule Nigeria in 2015? Nigeria will blow up in one month. This kind of people in business circles are called loosed canons. Practically zero percent man management skills.

If this goes thru, it will set Lagos back 20 years at least!

1 Like

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by ballabriggs: 1:56pm On May 11, 2012
MR GERMANY PLEASE STOP LYING!

Ilaje44:

Who told you they dont embark on strike abroad? Have you lived abroad? The diference between Abroad, specifically here in Germany, is crystal clear: HUMAN LIFE is sacred here. You can not strike when it threatens the life of human beings. If you do, you loose your accreditation and you would have a criminal case as well as a civil case against you. Now in Nigeria, there is absolutely no regard for life. It is always MONEY FIRST. If those doctors tried what they are doing over there abroad, a lot of them would not only be sitting in gaol, but their life savings would have gone to compensate the victims of their irresponsible action. Nigeria is a shame, a den of lawlessness...

German doctors strike raises fundamental political questions
By Patrick Richter and Lutz Köppe
3 August 2006
For more than four weeks local doctors from 700 German hospitals have been on strike against ever worsening conditions of work in the form of unpaid overtime, unpaid additional paperwork and the dismantling of social gains.
In a ballot held at the end of June, 97 percent of unionised physicians voted for strike action. This latest action follows the 13-week-long strike by 22,000 physicians at university hospitals, who had also fought for better conditions of work and higher salaries. An estimated 70,000 local doctors are now involved in the latest strike.
Many of the predominantly young assistant doctors are taking part in a union-organised strike and protest actions for the first time in their lives. Banners and posters at protests and demonstrations express their indignation over the fact that, after years of study and training, they are then forced to work under utterly precarious and uncertain conditions involving interminable shift work and poor wages that make any serious planning for the future impossible.
The strike by physicians is significant because it is indicative of the shape of future social conflicts. An increasing army of highly-qualified technicians, engineers and scientists are confronted with very similar problems.
It is therefore important to draw attention to the political problems which physicians face in their strike. The grand coalition government of Angela Merkel—Christian Democratic Union (CDU), Christian Social Union (CSU) and Social Democratic Party (SPD)—and on federal level social democratic ministers—have made decisions leading to huge cuts in social funding which in turn precipitate drastic savings that are then imposed on a local level.
The trade unions, whose functionaries are in the main SPD members, support these policies, point to the empty coffers, and use such strikes as merely a means of letting off steam. As has been the case time after time in recent years, after a few weeks on strike and some radical demonstrations, the union agrees to a collective agreement involving a perceptible worsening of conditions for the workers involved.
In this respect the Marburg Federation (MB), which poses as a politically independent agency specialising in the interests of physicians, represents no real alternative. There now arises the very real danger that the strike by doctors—despite the militancy of many strikers—could end in defeat. Local physicians could be the last major group to be subordinated to the new collective agreement that came into effect last year involving considerable worsening of conditions.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Ibime(m): 2:10pm On May 11, 2012
The 373 new doctors are a disgrace to their profession.

Member of such a noble profession should not be crossing the picket line.

I dont know what Fash's budgetary constraints are, but even unskilled labourers in the developed world would be insulted to earn the kind of wages House officers were earning.

A man doesnt sacrifice 7 years of his life (10 if you count strikes), long sleepless nights in the teaching hospital and all sorts just to have his employment rights trampled like a common labourer.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by fm7070: 2:13pm On May 11, 2012
I know this is coming from 'godfather Tinubu'.
One silly mistake ACN will make in Lagos will break their political backbone for life.
With heavy taxes imposed on Lagosian, they still cannot meet the needs of these medical doctors who work tirelessly. I wish you see them at work in any of the general hospitals. You see 1 doctor attending to more than 50 patience daily.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by moshoodn(m): 2:17pm On May 11, 2012
chuks49:

Forget the arithmetic of the sacked and replaced doctors cos the recruitment is ongoing, that Govt didn't completely implement the agreement it reached with Doctors is not enough reason for them to abandon their sick patients in their time of need.
Thanks a lot o!
Maybe the doctors forgot the Hippocratic Oath they swore too.
No matter the condition, based on the oath sworn, doctors are never never never meant to go on strike!
I'm happy they lost out.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by edicolove: 2:27pm On May 11, 2012
moshoodn: Thanks a lot o!
Maybe the doctors forgot the Hippocratic Oath they swore too.
No matter the condition, based on the oath sworn, doctors are never never never meant to go on strike!
I'm happy they lost out.

Are you for real? You will replace them? With what? Ok tell me, how do you replace a heart surgeon? With a native doctor from ikotun or okokomaiko? How do you replace an ear-nose-and-throat specialist? With a sooth sayer from Osun? Are you in your right mind? You say the doctors have lost out? How? Are the patients members of the doctors families? You Fashola supporting folks have got to be the d.um.best set of folks I have ever seen.

The point is how did it even reach this 'place of no return' situation. That is catastrophic human resource management. Its a disaster. In any sane country, this would get the governor fired. It should never have turned into we against them situation. That is leadership 101 and Fashola has completely blown it here!
d-

1 Like

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by sartorius(m): 2:29pm On May 11, 2012
ΤΗΕ ΝΑΤΙΟΝ Ιs owned by TINUBU and ACN. How can they now afford to pay 7500 - 15 k per day(150k in 10 days of 8hrs shift) to locum docs who are @ least 1yr post nysc to replace 2O-25 post nysc specialists. Medicine is an apprenticeship. Why would a goverment risk lives to score political points. Lasuth is the busiest teaching hospital in nigeria, with over 25 secondary health centres in lagos . All docs are saying is that they shud be payed accordingly to the wages stipulated in conmess agreeement they signed.Lasuth generates lots of revenue, with a couple of private settings.Lasuth school of medicine is abt 400,000. Whilst in OAU its 30,000 and whilst states like rivers, akwaibom, ekiti, etc are payin conmess Am a bit saddened by the rxn of some commentators here. - personally don't agree with strikes as a tool @ least. Emergency services, but fashola is making it protracted. I work in lagos. Luth is filled to capacity and people are really dying.We need solutions not steps that wud take us back
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by fm7070: 2:40pm On May 11, 2012
let's see how far they can go.
he who laugh last, laugh best.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lagos Discharges 67 Coronavirus Patients Today / G50 Siemens Ultrasound Machine With All Ultrasound Features For Sell / Facts About Malaria!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.