Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,625 members, 7,888,990 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 07:57 PM

Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye (38471 Views)

Who Owns Lagos? By Sam Omatseye / Let's Be Fair; Jonathan Has Done Well On The Economy. By Sam Ohuabunwa. / Sam Omatseye, Under-Fire For Column On Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by aljharem(m): 12:43pm On May 12, 2012
emmke: quite true...

Jos indigenes are not bad themselves.

Also the Ijaws
Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by aljharem(m): 12:47pm On May 12, 2012
bashr8: show u the proof of accomodation in yoruba states of osun , ondo , ekiti and ogun. outside lagos that is federal capital .

Lagos is not the federal capital, it is not even any capital. The reason it is a defacto commericial capital is because Private companies chose to have their HQ in Lagos.

In the real sense there is not constitution that allows Lagos the commercial capital but because of the accommodation nature to a fault companies chose Lagos over Abuja and others.

Moreover their is no different between Lagos, Osun , Ondo etc It is all called West and are all Yoruba-speaking states.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by Abagworo(m): 12:48pm On May 12, 2012
Lagos cannot be used as a yardstick to measure how accomodating Yorubas are. Ibadan, Ilesha, Abeokuta, Oshogbo, Ogbomosho, Ife, Ado, Ede etc should be used instead. The cosmopolitan nature of Lagos owes a lot to its years as the capital. Look at Abuja today, It is almost more cosmopolitan than Lagos in less than 14 years and there are no area boys extorting people or claiming landed properties. That does not translate into Northerners being more accommodating. Shift the capital to Yenagoa and within 10 years it will also outgrow Abuja in mix of tribes, ethnicity and races

2 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by aljharem(m): 12:52pm On May 12, 2012
Abagworo: Lagos cannot be used as a yardstick to measure how accomodating Yorubas are. Ibadan, Ilesha, Abeokuta, Oshogbo, Ogbomosho, Ife, Ado, Ede etc should be used instead. The cosmopolitan nature of Lagos owes a lot to its years as the capital. Look at Abuja today, It is almost more cosmopolitan than Lagos in less than 14 years and there are no area boys extorting people or claiming landed properties. That does not translate into Northerners being more accommodating. Shift the capital to Yenagoa and within 10 years it will also outgrow Abuja in mix of tribes, ethnicity and races

I would prefer to us Ibadan and Abeokuta.

Even if we use it, we would still arrive at the same conclusion, so what is your point ?

Ibadan is more multiethnic than Port harcourt, do you doubt me ?

should we go to Illorin ?

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by aljharem(m): 12:56pm On May 12, 2012
BTW

How many years was Calabar the capital for ?
Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by Abagworo(m): 1:10pm On May 12, 2012
alj harem:

I would prefer to us Ibadan and Abeokuta.

Even if we use it, we would still arrive at the same conclusion, so what is your point ?

Ibadan is more multiethnic than Port harcourt, do you doubt me ?

should we go to Illorin ?

Guy you are so damn funny. Ibadan is a big village. Maybe you could tell that to someone that has not been there. Port Harcourt is as diverse as Lagos and Abuja but has more White men. I don't think there are up to 5000 caucasians in Ibadan.
Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by Gbawe: 1:24pm On May 12, 2012
Abagworo:

Guy you are so damn funny. Ibadan is a big village. Maybe you could tell that to someone that has not been there. Port Harcourt is as diverse as Lagos and Abuja but has more White men. I don't think there are up to 5000 caucasians in Ibadan.

So the presence of Caucasians is now the gold standard for ascertaining how cosmoplitan and accomodating a City is?

2 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by hakanai(m): 1:26pm On May 12, 2012
alj harem:

Jos indigenes are not bad themselves.

Also the Ijaws

^^^I doubt that.The Jos people to a large extent are hostile.I would have accepted this view in the past but not now abeg.It also depends on which tribe or locality.Please don't say they were changed or are fighting for there rights.That is the tale given to allow ethnic cleanse in Jos by the inhabitants.
The Ijaws are not hospitable or polite at all.They are naturally aggressive and it won't take long for you to spot an Ijawman by that.Also they are not receptive.Inshort another tribe similar to there aggressiveness is the Fulani.Thought the Fulanis are quiet contrary to the IJaws,they are readily aggressive too.
Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by aljharem(m): 1:26pm On May 12, 2012
Abagworo:

My brother diversity in terms of Nigeria ethnic groups that is what I meant. We can use your standards as well, Port harcourt has bonny Island which could be said to be the Oil capital of Nigeria.

Even at that, Ibadan in terms of Nigeria ethnic groups is far more diverse than Port harcourt. Quote me anywhere

3 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by Dede1(m): 1:27pm On May 12, 2012
Most of these ass-wipes seemed to constantly get intoxicated on emptiness and vanity. The people who are native to Abuja probably seemed not accommodating if one has to follow the goofy illogicalities demonstrated by dubious writer named Sam Omatseye in the alleged article accredited to him.

The incessant presence of ill-motivated articles such as the one credited to hack writer named Sam Omatseye remains a compelling factor to disintegrate Nigeria. I really want to see Lagos flourish within the aisles of Yoruba land only.
Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by aljharem(m): 1:32pm On May 12, 2012
haka_nai:

^^^I doubt that.The Jos people to a large extent are hostile.I would have accepted this view in the past but not now abeg.It also depends on which tribe or locality.Please don't say they were changed or are fighting for there rights.That is the tale given to allow ethnic cleanse in Jos by the inhabitants.
The Ijaws are not hospitable or polite at all.They are naturally aggressive and it won't take long for you to spot an Ijawman by that.Also they are not receptive.Inshort another tribe similar to there aggressiveness is the Fulani.Thought the Fulanis are quiet contrary to the IJaws,they are readily aggressive too.

Jos people use to be the best people I had always wanted to associate myself with, even till now. I think the issue of indigenes and settlers took a new dimension in Jos. My brother, anyone would do the same if faced with "strangers" over lording them in "their land". I think if we use that standard, Yorubas are not any better than Jos indigenes as well.

The issue with the Ijaws is of resent times, I have met a lot of Ijaws in Lagos and I know them to be smiling always. More like I have never seen before, very friendly people and level headed.

Asari Dokubo couple with his Igbo goons here on Nairaland are painting a totally different picture of Ijaw people.

The first ever fight Ijaws had in recent times was in lagos and was because of Asari Dokubo plan. Although I do not expect better since he said he is 40% Igbo and 60% Ijaw.
Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by Nobody: 1:32pm On May 12, 2012
Dede1: Most of these ass-wipes seemed to constantly get intoxicated on emptiness and vanity. The people who are native to Abuja probably seemed not accommodating if one has to follow the goofy illogicalities demonstrated by dubious writer named Sam Omatseye in the alleged article accredited to him.

The incessant presence of ill-motivated articles such as the one credited to hack writer named Sam Omatseye remains a compelling factor to disintegrate Nigeria. I really want see Lagos flourish within the aisles of Yoruba land only.

we dont need to wait for any breakup.The mass exodus of ibos from Yorubaland can start anytime but the issue is that are ibos willing to live our land and where are they going back to ?
Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by hakanai(m): 1:33pm On May 12, 2012
Abagworo: Lagos cannot be used as a yardstick to measure how accomodating Yorubas are. Ibadan, Ilesha, Abeokuta, Oshogbo, Ogbomosho, Ife, Ado, Ede etc should be used instead. The cosmopolitan nature of Lagos owes a lot to its years as the capital. Look at Abuja today, It is almost more cosmopolitan than Lagos in less than 14 years and there are no area boys extorting people or claiming landed properties. That does not translate into Northerners being more accommodating. Shift the capital to Yenagoa and within 10 years it will also outgrow Abuja in mix of tribes, ethnicity and races

^^^ you are right in some areas and greatly wrong on the other issues.What you have to look at is the broad perception of the yoruba people.How they perceive other Nigerians.If you ask all geopolitical zone indigents how they feel with regards to safety and accommodating them in other zones,they would simply pick SW.I mean across zones SW will have an overwhelming thumbs up for visits.Without doubt the yorubas are definitely most accommodating and cosmopolitan.

2 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by aljharem(m): 1:33pm On May 12, 2012
Dede1: Most of these ass-wipes seemed to constantly get intoxicated on emptiness and vanity. The people who are native to Abuja probably seemed not accommodating if one has to follow the goofy illogicalities demonstrated by dubious writer named Sam Omatseye in the alleged article accredited to him.

The incessant presence of ill-motivated articles such as the one credited to hack writer named Sam Omatseye remains a compelling factor to disintegrate Nigeria. I really want see Lagos flourish within the aisles of Yoruba land only.

Abuja indigenes are Asokoro people, they are a very tiny group of people living in the hills of aso rock, Thus it is very easy to bully them as the case of Babangida.
Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by aljharem(m): 1:39pm On May 12, 2012
~Bluetooth:

we dont need to wait for any breakup.The mass exodus of ibos from Yorubaland can start anytime but the issue is that are ibos willing to live our land and where are they going back to ?

Don't talk like that, always try to separate Nairaland from the reality.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by Abagworo(m): 1:56pm On May 12, 2012
alj harem:

Abuja indigenes are Asokoro people, they are a very tiny group of people living in the hills of aso rock, Thus it is very easy to bully them as the case of Babangida.

Abuja people are not Asokoro but Bwari and Gwari people of which IBB belongs to that ethnic group. Asokoro is a Gwari settlement.
Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by hakanai(m): 2:00pm On May 12, 2012
alj harem:

Jos people use to be the best people I had always wanted to associate myself with, even till now. I think the issue of indigenes and settlers took a new dimension in Jos. My brother, anyone would do the same if faced with "strangers" over lording them in "their land". I think if we use that standard, Yorubas are not any better than Jos indigenes as well.

The issue with the Ijaws is of resent times, I have met a lot of Ijaws in Lagos and I know them to be smiling always. More like I have never seen before, very friendly people and level headed.

Asari Dokubo couple with his Igbo goons here on Nairaland are painting a totally different picture of Ijaw people.

The first ever fight Ijaws had in recent times was in lagos and was because of Asari Dokubo plan. Although I do not expect better since he said he is 40% Igbo and 60% Ijaw.

Please remind when the Gbong gwom turn hausa?When last did another person rule them except for themselves.Solomon lar was there governor in the ever first elections.fidelis tapgun,dariye and jang.Where is the Hausa lord?The Gbong gwoms from colonial times have being who?Beroms.All the settlers have is lands and property acquired or built with approvals.
Do you know how you do paper works for landed property in Northern Nigeria?You need district chiefs and royal fathers to sign and collect some tax for it.Then tomorrow you say they want to lord it over you,after giving you all this respect.This same belief is what has being driving the massacre of people in Jos.Over things that they have shared for a long time without any issue.
Obasanjo during a mediation once asked what the indigents wanted to bring peace and they said all Muslim/Hausa must leave there lands.He asked further why ? they had no reason.His response was how would some one who is law abiding and has gone through process to acquire be asked to return it.He said even the Nigerian constitution allows for Nigerians to move freely and settle anywhere.except where they commit a crime.they deserve to be given a chance to go about there normal lifes.Here is thing,the Beroms can't build jos alone and settle others for all there investment on the plateau.I was thinking since leadership is not in doubt.Why not tax the settlers and build the natives.You can't destroy someones investment to regain economic control like that.
sad enough while they were shouting for Hausas to leave,the Bauchi state assembly got furious and ask that same be done to there indigents in Bauchi and behold the results showed alot of government work position were held by the same Beroms and plateau indigents in other peoples state too.while in plateau they have sacked non indigents.With disregard for faith but only by tribe.Especially by the Beroms!Named the Berom agenda of dominance with oga jonah on the board of trustee.
Policians have killed that state.By the same natives political elements who have said it or done it.I remember even solomon lar said Jang is a problem for peace in plateau because of his stubbornness.Alot of elders too have come out to repeat same.The thing is,it will not be long before they crest you a bought over traitor or the Hausas or Muslims stooge.How come other places have gone passed the situation and forged ahead and prospered.Except for the Beroms?
Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by Dede1(m): 2:22pm On May 12, 2012
alj harem:

Are you insinuating the accommodating mode of Yoruba people is due to magnanimity and that of Asokoro’s cowardice?
Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by Dede1(m): 2:29pm On May 12, 2012
~Bluetooth:

I suggest you shut your putrid loudmouth before somebody shuts it for you. Do you think you can eat your cake and have it? If I may ask you, what bloody land are you talking about? The jittery legged forbearers of yours sold every land there is except for one plot you call home yet you are blabbing about land. I guess you do not want to be occupied.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by emmke(m): 2:34pm On May 12, 2012
really? Jos people are hostile? U know thats a BIG LIE, right. The "hostility" which u are trying to ascribe to the plateau people is largely a resistance, by the Plateau people, to the domineering and lording tendencies of the hausas. This is no rocket science. How can you call people fighting to protect their land hostile? I reckon they'd be be more accommodating to you if they allowed foreigners to lord over them. Plateau used to be home of peace and tourism and one of the most cosmopolitant in the country. That, along with the weather and mining activities, is due to the accommodating nature of the people. Fact.
haka_nai:

Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by Nobody: 2:35pm On May 12, 2012
I'm back again!! grin grin grin

It's funny how people say Lagos is no man's land; former capital of Nigeria; and blah blah blah... Calabar used to be the FCT of Nigeria - why is it not cosmopolitan?? The truth is that, Lagos has indigenes - and Lagos is Yoruba hospitality...

I'm yet to see a Scottish, Irish, or Welsh person, born and raised in London claim to be English - by virtue of where he/she was born.. Neither have I seen an African, Caribbean, or an Asian person who's English despite being born and raised in England... We need to drop this no man's land stupidity - and give the Yorubas their due props, for their hospitality.. Lagos is what Nigeria should be - but ethnic jingoists won't allow that to happen...

As for New York, America is no man's land - till the native Americans can get their acts together - and claim their country back. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by aljharem(m): 2:36pm On May 12, 2012
Dede1:

Are you insinuating the accommodating mode of Yoruba people is due to magnanimity and that of Asokoro’s cowardice?

Not at all, please don't misquote me Agbaya Dede. I am saying Asokoro people don't have much to lose that is what I am saying
Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by EkoIle1: 2:36pm On May 12, 2012
Lagos is attracting more people here than anywhere, including Abuja. The burden on infrastructure, schools, housing and environment is enormous, and that means that one governor is carrying the burdens of others.

I say this all the time. This is just aggravating...
Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by Abagworo(m): 2:41pm On May 12, 2012
haka_nai:

^^^ you are right in some areas and greatly wrong on the other issues.What you have to look at is the broad perception of the yoruba people.How they perceive other Nigerians.If you ask all geopolitical zone indigents how they feel with regards to safety and accommodating them in other zones,they would simply pick SW.I mean across zones SW will have and overwhelming thumbs up for visits.So without doubt give they yorubas are definitely most accommodating and cosmopolitan.

The problem with some Nigerians is that they are stuck to their local enclave. That there are more Igbos in Kano than Ibadan or Calabar does not make Kano more accomodating. The North hosts more non-indigenes than any other part of Nigeria inspite of the frequent killings and high poverty. The SE is too competitive for even the indigenes as a result of over-population and excess skilled manpower.

7 Likes

Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by dayokanu(m): 2:50pm On May 12, 2012
Dede1:
I suggest you [size=18pt]shot[/size] your putrid loudmouth before somebody [size=18pt]shots[/size] it for you. Do you think you can eat your cake and have it? If I may ask you, what bloody land are you talking about? The jittery legged forbearers of yours sold every land there is except for one plot you call home yet you are blabbing about land. I guess you do not want to be occupied.

Dendemoron, How many times do you want me to tell you to go back to school

Do you want to kill us with these missiles?

OP, Its a widely known fact, Some people have abandoned their eroded village that eats the inhabitants. In those parts, No one can make it without going to the SW, every January the car parks are filled with people running away from their own land

1 Like

Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by aljharem(m): 2:51pm On May 12, 2012
Abagworo:

The problem with some Nigerians is that they are stuck to their local enclave. That there are more Igbos in Kano than Ibadan or Calabar does not make Kano more accomodating. The North hosts more non-indigenes than any other part of Nigeria inspite of the frequent killings and high poverty. The SE is too competitive for even the indigenes as a result of over-population and excess skilled manpower.

Hmmmmmm, stuck to their local enclave ? What do you mean

There are more Yorubas in the north than Igbos, again quote me on this. You cannot tell the difference between a yoruba muslim and an average fulani. Infact there is a place called Ogbomosho in Kaduna, it is that bad.

Not every yoruba has tribal marks. I hope you know that ?

Even Borno governor has yorubas in his family,

Just cause Yorubas usually avoid the east does not mean they do not travel. I for one know what I am saying, The amount of Igbos in Oyo and Kwara state would soon rival lagos.

Even if you have not been to Oyo before, the MGP beauty stuff should tell you the representation and size.
Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by dayokanu(m): 2:54pm On May 12, 2012
Abagworo:

Whats competitive about the SE? Competitive criminals?

Ibos are the least accommodating people in the whole country everyone avoids their land like a plague even the natives

Have you seen the number of Yoruba in the North? In Ghana, Abidjan or even UK? yet they are stuck to their local enclaves
Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by aljharem(m): 2:56pm On May 12, 2012
Abagworo, were you not here when Ohaneze said "there are 1 million Igbos in Oyo state"

Oyo is a state of about 5 million and if Igbos are 1 million what does that tell you ?

Because the remaining 4 million is not yoruba I hope you know that
Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by Abagworo(m): 2:58pm On May 12, 2012
alj harem:

Hmmmmmm, stuck to their local enclave ? What do you mean

There are more Yorubas in the north than Igbos, again quote me on this. You cannot tell the difference between a yoruba muslim and an average fulani. Infact there is a place called Ogbomosho in Kaduna, it is that bad.

Not every yoruba has tribal marks. I hope you know that ?

Even Borno governor has yorubas in his family,

Just cause Yorubas usually avoid the east does not mean they do not travel. I for one know what I am saying, The amount of Igbos in Oyo and Kwara state would soon rival lagos.

Even if you have not been to Oyo before, the MGP beauty stuff should tell you the representation and size.

I've been everywhere in Southern Nigeria. I know Ibadan and Ogbomosho well. My grandfather is married to an Oyo woman while my sister is married to an Osun man. As for North, I've been to a couple of places. The population of Igbos is something of debate as other African countries seem to believe Igbo migrants constitute an alarming percentage of their population but Nigerian States always try to under-count the Igbo population.
Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by aljharem(m): 3:01pm On May 12, 2012
Abagworo:

I've been everywhere in Southern Nigeria. I know Ibadan and Ogbomosho well. My grandfather is married to an Oyo woman while my sister is married to an Osun man. As for North, I've been to a couple of places. The population of Igbos is something of debate as other African countries seem to believe Igbo migrants constitute an alarming percentage of their population but Nigerian States always try to under-count the Igbo population.

When last did you visit Ibadan ? No lie grin

If Nigerian states try to under-count Igbos then you should ask why abagworo.
Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by aljharem(m): 3:01pm On May 12, 2012
I am sure you know the reason
Re: Yorubas Are The Best In Accommodating Strangers In Nigeria - By Sam Omatseye by Dede1(m): 3:17pm On May 12, 2012
alj harem:

Not at all, please don't misquote me Agbaya Dede. I am saying Asokoro people don't have much to lose that is what I am saying

You are not quotable talk less of misquoting you. Explain what you meant when you wrote, “it is very easy to bully them”, olodo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (25) (Reply)

Smoked Fish Seller Beaten To Coma In Benin By Obaseki Boys (Photos) / Ifeanyi Ubah Distributes Palliatives In Lagos / Surviving Soldiers Accuse Military Authorities Of Procuring Obsolete Weapons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.