Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,610 members, 7,941,343 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 02:01 AM

Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters (13532 Views)

New Electricity Tariff, Without Prepaid Meters?? / PHCN To Import Prepaid Meters / Electricity Consumers Can Petition Against Over-billing - NERC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by edicolove: 11:04am On May 19, 2012
It is sad that many of you dumbheads can not think intelligently. The government is providing prepaid meters and you all are talking crap. Can't you see that if the government provide prepaid meters and don't provide power, they will be the loosers. Now PHCN/government are collecting free money from monthly estimated bills and they come out to provide prepaid meters and you lot are spewing garbage. Don't you see that providing prepaid meters will force their hand to provide regular electricity as they will go totally bankrupt if they don't?

Its obvious so many here on NL are kids without brains! The result of poor education!
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by Nobody: 11:07am On May 19, 2012
Well it beats the N25,000 they used to collect before but still, what a rip off, what a horrible country
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by Mynd44: 11:20am On May 19, 2012
edicolove: It is sad that many of you dumbheads can not think intelligently. The government is providing prepaid meters and you all are talking crap. Can't you see that if the government provide prepaid meters and don't provide power, they will be the loosers. Now PHCN/government are collecting free money from monthly estimated bills and they come out to provide prepaid meters and you lot are spewing garbage. Don't you see that providing prepaid meters will force their hand to provide regular electricity as they will go totally bankrupt if they don't?

Its obvious so many here on NL are kids without brains! The result of poor education!
You are a reta-rd did the whole subsidy affair not teach you anything? Ode oshi
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by basadenet: 12:47pm On May 19, 2012
We should stop deceiving ourselves, when you say something is free let it be free. Why the N5000 charges? That is to say it is not free. PHCN should be scrapped.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by ModestSam(m): 2:01pm On May 19, 2012
I honestly don't know why these idiots think everyone is a fool.
Does PHCN have to increase electricity tariff, before improving on customer service?
The tariff has been increased thrice, in the last 9 months, yet no increase in electricity supply. These profs with shit for brains, just giving an excuse just for the sake of it. How do we measure this so called ''customer service''?
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by imparable7(m): 6:44pm On May 19, 2012
hmm
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by pendo89(f): 7:52pm On May 19, 2012
We (kenya) have many urban households on prepaid meters mine included.I say Urban because not all households in rural areas use elect.Solar available.
It began as a pilot project few years back before implementation early last year.
Would like to share how they did it for us for anybody interested in knowing.
First, it wasn't imposed on people.It was a matter of choice.But for those living in rented houses the final word rested with the landlord not the tenant.

The Power supplying co.(kplc) contracted several elect. companies to do the wiring and installation.Estate by estate,so that each estate had diff contractors to complete the job within a given time and they worked like safari ants at times late into the night.They weren't supposed to live an area without completing the job cz it was a contract.
Each household was given 35 tokens(units)on credit at the time of installation. Reason for this was because when they came to install,they did away with the old meter(leaving you without power since connection is lost) then give you a new account card.The 35 credit tokens covered those whose accounts had zero,overdue or out of town.
For those with balances,they simply transfered the old units from the old meter to the new,meaning you had an extra 35 units.
Several months later, they started deducting the 35 units given on credit with every top up.But they deducted in such a way that we didn't feel.
Little by little till the 35 was exhausted.

The prepaid meter box is resembles a calculator and can be fixed anywhere you choose in ur house.
The box shows the electricity units you have left meaning you control consumption,because just like airtime,the units go down with usage and you can see it do so. When it reaches a critical level it sets of an alarm till you top up again.
We buy the power from the elctr.company via phone. Infact we pay almost all our bills via a system called Mpesa which is operated by the largest mobile company
Few min later after buying via phone, you receive your token of electricity.It's just a 12 didgit no which you must enter into the meter box and your units are topped up!
The minimum token(units) we can buy is worth $ 3.That can last you a week if you are a low unit consumer.

I love prepaid you cannot be cheated since you see it run plus you buy according to the the size of ur pocket.
Many kenyans living in plot houses(those which had a central meter and the landlord controlled the electricity consumed have a reason to smile because the landlord is now out of the picture so it's just you and the power co.)The landlords too have every reason to smile since the electricity headache is out of their mind)

In case of emergency you can have a friend far away buy (just give them ur prepaid account no.) and they will send you the 12 digit number.Your work will be to top up and voila! u have power.

The only disadvantage is,it only works well if the systems are running proper. They however send alerts on phone incase of maintanance and repairs.

It's a worthwhile project and I have no complains so far except that they want to push up the elect.tariffs.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by Cachez(m): 8:01pm On May 19, 2012
Don't let anyone deceive you with the belief of government giving you free meters. What the Chairman Sam Amadi said on Channel TV was that the cost of the prepaid meters will be factored into the billing and spread over some months for people to pay up.Can anything be free in Nigeria? Even if it was possible for government to bill people for air that we breathe, they would have done so.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by pendo89(f): 8:16pm On May 19, 2012
Cachez: Don't let anyone deceive you with the belief of government giving you free meters. What the Chairman Sam Amadi said on Channel TV was that the cost of the prepaid meters will be factored into the billing and spread over some months for people to pay up.

True that.At first we in Kenya thought the 35 units were given free.LOL Some wanted to protest saying it was a rip off but remember contractors had to be paid plus I said it wasnt forced down people's throats.The house owner decides.
35 units is apprx ksh 750 = $ 9. That lasts me say 1.5 to 2 wks.

I think the other thing to worry about is the quality of the meter boxes.They must source from worthy suppliers or else some may backfire and refuse to work.
Seen that happen.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by pendo89(f): 8:22pm On May 19, 2012
LeoMax: IF THEY GIVE ME FREE METER, I WILL CONNECT IT TO MY GENERATOR AND USE IT TO MONITOR MY FUEL CONSUMPTION shocked shocked shocked cheesy cheesy cheesy

lmao funny dude.Impossible.Once installed,they send message back to their systems to activate it.It's automatically captured and wont work any other way.
grin
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by isaco(m): 7:20pm On May 20, 2012
LeoMax: IF THEY GIVE ME FREE METER, I WILL CONNECT IT TO MY GENERATOR AND USE IT TO MONITOR MY FUEL CONSUMPTION shocked shocked shocked cheesy cheesy cheesy
You are funny guy. Am now a generator repearer. O boy i suffer on generator. 9ja don finish. We pay for what we are not using. Oga o.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by malc619(m): 10:49pm On May 20, 2012
Same subsidy removal trick...
Same poo diff toilets....
Very annoying...

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by manutayo(m): 11:34am On May 21, 2012
In other countries the government provide the meters at no cost since tis the property of the Electricity company. Why do we have to pay for meter in Naija?
My friend paid for a prepaid meters in 2008 till date he has not received the meter.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by ModestSam(m): 12:39pm On May 21, 2012
[color=#990000][/color][quote author=manutayo]In other countries the gover
nment provide the meters at no cost since tis the property of the Electricity company. Why do we have to pay for meter in Naija? [quote]

Abi, why should we pay for govt's peoperty, despite the fact that we're still being charged monthly for service charge?
Just credited my meter last saturday, and there's a #900 charge that is unexplained.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by jimlat: 8:40am On May 22, 2012
otokx: Sam Amadi and Barth Nnaji are some of the people that should be tried for high treason against the Nigerian state and its people. What is the point of prepaid meters or do they prepay and dispense darkness in totality? So they have now got meters that we also charge us for the hours of darkness encountered? These people are very wicked.
agreed brother but the net should be widened
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by hotshotpeter(m): 6:39pm On May 22, 2012
Will people please stop calling the metres free! That same NERC said that the cost of the metres will be added to our bill.
Talking about electricity, I hope you guys know they want to remove the subsidy on electricity, so be expecting another increase.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by Fhemmmy: 8:03pm On May 22, 2012
I guess that means the meter will never move, since there is never light . . . tongue
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by MeandSum: 1:01am On May 23, 2012
TroGunn: People stop the negativity. We all know PHCN must be completely privatized if we ever want better service. And the tariff will increase, but it'll still be way cheaper than running generators. This govt has been useless, but they got this spot on. Everyone must have prepaid meters. If they don't give u electricity, then it's their loss too because they'll only make money when u use electricity.
At N11/kwh ( 6.8cents/kwh) our rate is likely too cheap to be profitable for investors, compared to other countries http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_pricing.

The NLC should chill. We need power and will pay slightly more for it.

6.8 cent is way too expensive for a country like Nigeria with her own natural resources to provide power. In fact, it is twice as much as i pay here in Ukraine (around 3 cents for the first 150 kwh and 3.6 cents above that). The last time I had an unplanned power failure was the summer of 2010 ( abnormally high temperature that shutdown some equipment which lasted about 6 hours - I must confess, it was terrible!!).

My point is, even if they charge .20 cents per kwh you'll still be getting the same sh ity service from them.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by dasparrow: 6:46am On May 23, 2012
jidsoon: Chairman of the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), Dr. Sam Amadi, says provision has been made for free installation of meters in the new electricity tariff proposed by the Federal Government. The new regime takes off on June 1.

He said the electricity distribution companies have been ordered to provide meters for their customers between 12 to 18 months, starting from June 1. He said only a connection fee would now be paid for meters of N5,000 by customers.

Amadi said this when he visited the customer services centre of the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company.

He said the new tariff was a bitter pill Nigerians should endure for improved electricity supply which calls for better services from the distribution companies and accurate billing system.

According to the NERC boss, customer service is the core of the new tarrif order.

He said: “I think the Nigerian people will understand our predicament if we improve on our customer service. That is why we have made customer care the niche of the new tariff. We can really improve in terms of transparency and accountability especially in billing.

“We (NERC) will be having periodic check on the distribution companies because this is the most important component of the Multi-Year Tariff Order. Every CEO of the companies should ensure they have a forum office where customers’ complaints can be dealt with.”

A forum office constitutes member(s) of staff of the distributor company, NERC and civil society organisation who would address complaints from electricity consumers who did not get satisfactory attention from the PHCN.

He said it was illegal for communities to buy transformers, adding that it was the job of the PHCN to do so. He, however, said governments at all levels could do so to empower the people and upon installation, it becomes the property of the PHCN.

Chief Executive officer of the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company, Engineer Abdulganiyu Umar, corroborated Amadi’s position, saying, “It is illegal for communities to buy transformers and it is also illegal for any PHCN staff to collect money from people in the name of procuring transformers for them.

“If anyone has evidence of such incident against my staff, we should be notified and we will deal with it.”

He warned PHCN customers to be wary of crooks who masquerade as community helpers to defraud them of money, insisting that “PHCN has not authorised anybody to collect money on its behalf.”

—Henry Ojelu

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/05/18/electricity-consumers-to-get-free-prepaid-meters/

Will the new meters ensure that customers paying their electricity bill will have steady, uninterrupted power supply? If not, then what difference does it make? We call ourselves giant of Africa and yet cannot boast of uninterrupted power supply in 2012. What a shame!
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by Mcleo007(m): 2:00pm On May 23, 2012
edicolove: It is sad that many of you dumbheads can not think intelligently. The government is providing prepaid meters and you all are talking crap. Can't you see that if the government provide prepaid meters and don't provide power, they will be the loosers. Now PHCN/government are collecting free money from monthly estimated bills and they come out to provide prepaid meters and you lot are spewing garbage. Don't you see that providing prepaid meters will force their hand to provide regular electricity as they will go totally bankrupt if they don't?

Exactly my thoughts.
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by Fhemmmy: 2:06pm On May 24, 2012

Since when do the govt give a damn about making money or losing money, as long as they are able to use the scheme to pile money into their own personal pocket.
What is the brain in meters when there is light, what will the meter be reading?
Re: Electricity Consumers To Get Free Prepaid Meters by babybird82(f): 12:01pm On Jan 11, 2013
Has anyone gotten the meter by paying the 5k connection fee only?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Has Surrendered To Terrorists —PDP / Kidnappers Of 6 INEC Ad-hoc Staff In Kogi Demand ₦50M Ransom / Tinubu Appoint New CEOs For Refugees Commission, Social Investment Agency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.