Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,151 members, 7,890,886 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 11:06 PM

President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable (38674 Views)

Jonathan's Speech At Handover Presentation. / Amaechi's "Parallel Government" Statement Is Treasonable, Says Doyin Okupe / Enugu Is One Of The Poorest States In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by basadenet: 12:49pm On May 20, 2012
The president is 100% right and unless we sit down round table and have a serious talk to examined that amalgamation that took place in 1914 if not this country will probably not no peace.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Kobojunkie: 12:50pm On May 20, 2012
gboss4sure:

Whats wrong with him saying that?. Don't we all know the simple truth.

The Amalgamation being right or wrong is a PERSONAL issue for individuals to deal with. That some believe it was wrong DOES NOT, I REPEAT DOES NOT make them right. It simply means they have an opinion on the issue. There is nothing factual about statements that claim it was wrong or it was right. No Country was created in a PERFECT OR NEAR PERFECT manner. What happens over time is that weak areas are identified and solutions applied.

A President making such divisive statement ON THE VERY CREATION OF THE COUNTRY HE ASKED TO RUN is unbecoming. Imagine this was the US of A? Do you think the American people will not immediately call for his head? And I am not talking Obama here. Any . . . if Bush had made such a statement, when he was just a Governor, he would never have made President, let alone Clinton or anyone else for that matter. The point is a President is supposed to have 100% faith in the creation and existence of the entity he runs.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Blackteeth(m): 12:50pm On May 20, 2012
Even if the president said in plain language that the amalgamation was a mistake, there is still no offence. The president took an oath to fix the mistakes and not an oath to deny Nigeria's glaring problems.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Nobody: 12:54pm On May 20, 2012
hotshot_peter: The president's speech is not legally treasonous neither is it wrong. We all the know the truth, there is no need to lie to ourselves, the Northern and Southern Protectorates should never have been joined together. The North and South have nothing in common.

I just read today that Jega was nearly stoned to death by his fellow Northerners simply because he did not enforce Buhari on Nigerians, see the kind of ppl we are living with?

Tell them, They are busy looking everywhere for what GEJ said and did, they wont get busy
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by ismhab(m): 12:54pm On May 20, 2012
egift: Mr. President GEJ Speech is a Treasonable offense because not only is it insulting to the dignity of of the Nigerian State, it as well undermines the sovereignty of the nation. How can a President of our great country Nigeria say that the Amalgamation of Nigeria in 1914 was a mistake.

Do you agree?
Ebele was dangerous, Ebele is dangerous, Ebele will be dangerous for ever.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by extension: 12:56pm On May 20, 2012
Nothing spoil yet.We still have time to disconnect where the oyibos connect us.The white guys were on crackhead when they join us,smoking that long pipe tobacco.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Blackteeth(m): 12:57pm On May 20, 2012
Kobojunkie:
The Amalgamation being right or wrong is a PERSONAL issue for individuals to deal with. That some believe it was wrong DOES NOT, I REPEAT DOES NOT make them right. It simply means they have an opinion on the issue. There is nothing factual about statements that claim it was wrong or it was right. No Country was created in a PERFECT OR NEAR PERFECT manner. What happens over time is that weak areas are identified and solutions applied.
A President making such divisive statement ON THE VERY CREATION OF THE COUNTRY HE ASKED TO RUN is unbecoming. Imagine this would be kind of like having the U.S President making such statements of the country, America? Do you think the American people will not immediately call for his head? And I am not talking Obama here. Any . . . if Bush had made such a Statement when he was just a Governor, he would never have made President, let alone Clinton or anyone else for that matter. The point is a President is supposed to have 100% faith in the creation and existence of the entity he runs.
President Obama was once said that there is a problem with America's politics. This statement is of the same class with what GEJ said. So why didnt Americans cut his head? Cos its a fact! Simple.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by publisher(m): 12:58pm On May 20, 2012
@OP,this is what you get when you've used 'expo' in all ur English language examinations from Common entrance till date.
The 'olodoism' displayed by u and ur fellow anti-GEJ folks on this thread is baffling.
Anyways,CONGRATS on having ur thread generate over 2 pages of NL responses. Very few illiterates can achieve this feat.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Kobojunkie: 12:59pm On May 20, 2012
Blackteeth: President Obama was once said that there is a problem with America's politics. This statement is of the same class with what GEJ said. So why didnt Americans cut his head? Cos its a fact! Simple.

There is something wrong with American Politics is same as suggesting there is something wrong with how America was created? Are you sure you don't already see how you are trying to FORCE this one, and how this is nothing but you trying to WASTE BOTH OUR TIMES HERE? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by nyabingi(m): 1:00pm On May 20, 2012
There is basically no line of comparison between the Nigerian State and that of America, Go read the history America and how the State was created, it was based on mutual agreement of all intending parties made up of different nations but one goal and that is the reason why Obama would not come out to make such statements, NIGERIA HAS A SERIOUS PROBLEM OF IDENTITY AND UNTIL WE ALL SIT DOWN ON A ROUND TABLE TO SINCERELY DISCOURSE THE 1914 AMALGAMATION, WE HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO, THE SOONER THE BETTER!!!

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by agabaI23(m): 1:01pm On May 20, 2012
According to the President, something must have gone wrong along the line from 1914 when the Southern and Northern Protectorate amalgamated till date, stressing that the problem of Nigeria did not start today.

He said: “Sometimes when critics are lambasting the government, my self as President and the governors sometimes begin to think that yes it is starting today. But what we promise Nigerians is that this country must change.

“When the Priest was speaking, I started asking myself – what must have gone wrong from 1914 that the Northern and Southern parts of the country were amalgamated? They were under colonial rule since 1960 when we started governing ourselves. From 1960 to date it is about 50 years.

“I don’t think it is the two years that President Jonathan assumed the office that these problems came up. So something must have gone wrong and all of us citizens of this country must reassess ourselves, our journey from independence till date, the areas that we have not done too well in order to effect a change.

“Let us not play politics with the development of the country. Let us work hard to change our country for the better. We have no other country to go to. There was a time we had a television play where Andrew wanted to check out of the country; we are not checking out of this country, we will all stay, we will all work together, do our best to change the country for our children.”
Kobojunkie:

Let us also be careful not to pull statements apart in such a way that we end up with claims that are different in meaning from what was actually said.

The line in bold suggests he believes the problem started in 1914, right at the time of the amalgamation, not after it.

The president mentioning the amalgamation and suggesting that something went wrong right from the get go is not supposed to happen, especially when you consider the level of division in the country today. We dont need more divisive talk, especially from the nations number one.

Also, He is making this statement at a funeral wake, not some political get together, and that causes me to wonder why.

Yes, this is Nigeria where most anything goes, I accept that but the statement is unbecoming of a president. His statements should instead be of those that cause people to see hope in Nigeria, even as it was created. Not statements that suggest that there was a problem in the country's creation/since its creation.

I am sure kobo that you chose to pick a part of the sentence that would allow you to critize as usual. Even by your highlighted part of the statement, you would see clearly that the president was referring to what happened within a period of time starting from a reference point (1914) when Nigeria became a country, when Nigeria came into existence till now that Nigeria is 52. 'From' is very different from 'in'. If he had said, what happened in 1914 ...., you would be right sir/ma.
He is right on the money

Argument based on your assumption and what you chose to believe
On the other hand assuming that he meant the latter, I would cut him some slack especially as it appears that all the Northerners including his VP and the PDP boss are pursuing sectional agenda.
The same people that would support Buhari when he incites violence claiming he has said it as it is, are the same people calling for the head of the president when he said the truth as it is.

2 Likes

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by mkpologwu(m): 1:01pm On May 20, 2012
Ok peeps, let's occupy GEJ's tongue so he doesn't say a word furthermore!
Truth is so so bitter!!!

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Kobojunkie: 1:03pm On May 20, 2012
nyabingi: There is basically no line of comparison between the Nigerian State and that of America, Go read the history America and how the State was created, it was based on mutual agreement of all intending parties made up of different nations but one goal and that is the reason why Obama would not come out to make such statements, NIGERIA HAS A SERIOUS PROBLEM OF IDENTITY AND UNTIL WE ALL SIT DOWN ON A ROUND TABLE TO SINCERELY DISCOURSE THE 1914 AMALGAMATION, WE HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO, THE SOONER THE BETTER!!!

Oh, you mean America was created by mutual agreement of ALL RACES in America, right?? The blacks, whites, mexicans, indians, everyone sat at a round table and decided that creating America made sense? The Civil wars never happened in protest?

Please go back to school and stop attempting silly comparisons yourself. The mention was not to get anyone to compare the two countries --- NO TWO countries on this planet were created in exactly the same way. Most of the very successful you know of today probably started off worse than the countries you and I think make sense today.

Now, back to the issue at hand, the point is a President is not in the right making divisive statements --- statements that futher draw doubt on the UNITY of the Nation.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by ayobase(m): 1:03pm On May 20, 2012
egift:

NO! I am stating that by Gowon's position as "Head of State" of Nigeria, it is his duty to defend the territorial integrity of Nigeria even if it means with the last blood in his vain.

So it becomes very painful seeing Jonathan in the comfort of his seat at a burial ceremony of a non-official to question our Nationhood. Even worst is that Beaf and co are here telling us it means nothing.

Okay with ur first paragraph,
but d second one.

U r yet to understand, there is
difference btw
''....it was mistake....'' by the OP
and
''...it started from.....'' from d culled.

GEJ aint blaming anything or anyone,
but stating how d problems Nigeria has been facing started from, and
how to tackle it.

U wanna solve a problem,
U solve from the foundation.

U wanna disable a tree,
U uproot it, and not cutting.

Nigeria has been trimming,
and not cutting, let alone of
uprooting.

I gez GEJ wanna uproot, and it
wont be that easy......
Its a stage by stage case that can
span yrs!

God Bless Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by SMGOO7: 1:05pm On May 20, 2012
It's painful but true that our leaders are myopic & wicked stooges plamted by the cabalistic powers that be to perpetuate corruption, injustice & theft without plans or strategies to mitigate our problems as a nation. In fact, their perplexities at our problems as graduated to admiration which explains y instead of solving them, they aggravate dem & dat briliantli.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by ayobase(m): 1:07pm On May 20, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Oh, you mean America was created by mutual agreement of ALL RACES in America, right?? The blacks, whites, mexicans, indians, everyone sat at a round table and decided that creating America made sense? The Civil wars never happened in protest?

Please go back to school and stop attempting silly comparisons. The mention was not a COMPARISON of creation --- NO TWO countries on this planet were created in exactly the same way.

Now, back to the issue at hand, the point is a President is not in the right making divisive statements --- statements that futher draw doubt on the UNITY of the Nation.

ur last paragraph....
Have we been living in unity?

Lets face d matter and solve it
once and for all instead of masking
it like slimyem does!

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Kobojunkie: 1:09pm On May 20, 2012
ayobase:

ur last paragraph....
Have we been living in unity?
What has your opinion of that to do with anything on this thread? Or this particular thread? Please remove yourself and what you think from this issue and focus on the topic, and analyzing just that.
ayobase:
Lets face d matter and solve it
once and for all instead of masking
it like slimyem does!
This thread is not about you and how you feel about things. This is beyond personal feelings of some Nigerians. But on the role of the CEO of the company and how how his expressing a lack of faith in the very creation/foundations of said entity UNDERMINES development, and progress. Is that abstract enough for you?
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Nobody: 1:10pm On May 20, 2012
Point blank all u haters of truth and open governance are idiotic boko harams. Mr president stated d truth knowing fuly wel dat lies n decit hav bin drawing 9ja bakward. We no get biz wit abokis o.mek una go Bleep una deserted toto land o

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Blackteeth(m): 1:11pm On May 20, 2012
Kobojunkie:
There is something wrong with American Politics is same as suggesting there is something wrong with how America was created? Are you sure you don't already see how you are trying to FORCE this one, and how this is nothing but you trying to WASTE BOTH OUR TIMES HERE? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Are you saying that a president criticizing his country's political system is lighter than a president criticizing the mistakes the founding fathers made during the country's creation? Think again.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Nobody: 1:14pm On May 20, 2012
Kobojunkie:

A President making such divisive statement ON THE VERY CREATION OF THE COUNTRY HE ASKED TO RUN is unbecoming. Imagine this was the US of A? Do you think the American people will not immediately call for his head? And I am not talking Obama here. Any . . . if Bush had made such a statement, when he was just a Governor, he would never have made President, let alone Clinton or anyone else for that matter. The point is a President is supposed to have 100% faith in the creation and existence of the entity he runs.

Have faith in which entity, The problem of Nigeria has started far back even before GEJ starts thinking of becoming a president, why didn't the past president make Nigeria right?

How can you make Nigeria right when a few group with the born to rule mentality are parading themselves around throwing bombs everywhere and killing others cause they aint Muslims, can you make that right?

If you were GEJ what would you do?

Okay let me bring in Ojukwu into this, when the Aburi Accord agreement was made in the quest to make Nigeria right which people ignored or let me say burnt the agreement and went about their normal way of slaughtering non northerners?

When you guys talk about making Nigeria right i begin to wonder if you were given the opportunity can you make it right, can you change them from been blood thirsty.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Kobojunkie: 1:14pm On May 20, 2012
Blackteeth: Are you saying that a president criticizing his country's political system is lighter than a president criticizing the mistakes the founding fathers made during the country's creation? Think again.

A LandLord criticizing the design and construction of the kitchens in his building is NOT the same as the Landlord expressing doubts in the very foundation of his building . . . I hope that helps you. If you went to rent a home and the LandLord tells you he is not sure the foundation of the house is right, I am guessing you would probably look elsewhere.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Kobojunkie: 1:16pm On May 20, 2012
gboss4sure:

Have faith in which entity, The problem of Nigeria has started far back even before GEJ starts thinking of becoming a president, why didn't the past president make Nigeria right?

How can you make Nigeria right when a few group with the born to rule mentality are parading themselves around throwing bombs everywhere and killing others cause they aint Muslims, can you make that right?

If you were GEJ what would you do?

Okay let me bring in Ojukwu into this, when the Aburi Accord agreement was made in the quest to make Nigeria right which people ignored or let me say burnt the agreement and went about their normal way of slaughtering non northerners?

When you guys talk about making Nigeria right i begin to wonder if you were given the opportunity can you make it right, can you change them from been blood thirsty.

Again, please learn to remove yourself and your feelings from these issues. It does not help whatever point you are attempting to make. I can't parse all that and connect it in anyway to the topic that this thread is for.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Beaf: 1:17pm On May 20, 2012
egift the liar. embarassed

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Beaf: 1:22pm On May 20, 2012
The OP is a known liar and serial dramatist on NL.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by aljharem(m): 1:26pm On May 20, 2012
LOL but egift, GEJ is right though undecided

Can you not see that we as a people cannot live together without somebody pointing out my ethnicity before I express myself.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Abali1(m): 1:27pm On May 20, 2012
Blackteeth: President Obama was once said that there is a problem with America's politics. This statement is of the same class with what GEJ said. So why didnt Americans cut his head? Cos its a fact! Simple.

Saying that something is wrong with Americas politics is not the same as saying that something is wrong with the formation/creation of the American State.
GEJ, is not an ordinary citezen of Nigeria to make anyhow stateent without weiighing the consequences, if Truth be told He is Supposed to be the Last Man Standing when issues that threatens the Unity of the country comes up.
For Gods sake he is the PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA, and not the President of South-South.
He is their son but our PRESIDENT.
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Kobojunkie: 1:29pm On May 20, 2012
Abali1:

Saying that something is wrong with Americas politics is not the same as saying that something is wrong with the formation/creation of the American State.
GEJ, is not an ordinary citezen of Nigeria to make anyhow stateent without weiighing the consequences, if Truth be told He is Supposed to be the Last Man Standing when issues that threatens the Unity of the country comes up.
For Gods sake he is the PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA, and not the President of South-South.

He is their son but our PRESIDENT.

Abi!
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by dulaman: 1:29pm On May 20, 2012
Some ppl here r blaming interpretation of d english. dat he neva meant so. If na BUHARI, dy wl b criticism him 4 using hs language proverb. Whn he said der wld be violence if electin is rigged,some nicompu gav it its litrary meaning. Examl. D proverb dat say "wt an elder see whn siting down, a child wil nt see if he stands" on a nrmal day if d chld stnds hm go see clearly pas d old man sef. Bt dt nt wt d proverb means. So dose buhari's provrb. Ethnic bigot continue ur ranting..mtsew
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by bulkwide: 1:31pm On May 20, 2012
I seCoNd d president joor..

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by virgo(f): 1:33pm On May 20, 2012
Interesting debate. I think everyone has a point but @Kobojunkie, get rid of the condescending tone in your argument because for someone who is attacking people for their lack of English language skills, your grammar is not so impressive. Cue - "Wasting both our times..."

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by 4evergod3: 1:35pm On May 20, 2012
Beaf: The OP is a known liar and serial dramatist on NL.

See pot calling kettle black. And dem say Buhari Yarn Scatter but now GEJ don scatter Yarn
Re: President Jonathan's Speech At Enugu Is Treasonable by Kobojunkie: 1:35pm On May 20, 2012
virgo: Interesting debate. I think everyone has a point but @Kobojunkie, get rid of the condescending tone in your argument because for someone who is attacking people for their lack of English language skills, your grammar is not so impressive. Cue - "Wasting both our times..."

First, if you do not like my style of debating, ignore my posts.

Second, this is not an English lecture room that I have to use perfect English to please you. This is an online forum and I am not here to win any awards. Rules do not require that I first run my posts through a word processor before posting, so again, if you do not like my posts, ignore!

Third, you do not have to beat a word processor in order to correctly identify the meaning of a statement, in most any language you are familiar with . . .

Next!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Soludo, Fayemi Visit Aso Rock / Meet Oluwaremilekun Nanadjoa Rachael Fani-Kayode. FFK's Daughter (Photo) / I Won In Kaduna On Muslim-Muslim Ticket - El-Rufai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.