Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,294 members, 7,910,537 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 11:17 AM

Preparing for GRE - Education (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Preparing for GRE (98045 Views)

University Of Benin Students Preparing For Exam(pictures) / Studying Abroad Made Easy Register For Gre, Sat, Toefl, Gmat / Can I Register For Gre Online As A Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 11:26am On Dec 28, 2009
Yeah that's a fact. We'll just have to trust God for it.
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 5:19pm On Dec 30, 2009
No kidding, the visa process will become tough, but should cool down by april or so.
Back to applications. What is all this talk about January deadlines you guys keep referring to. All my deadlines are between march and june. Though I plan to submit everything by mid January before I return to naija for my nysc.
Congrats Superbrain, a 4.0 AWA should get you into most engineering schools. Have you submitted your applications yet? Could you review my SOP. I've written a first draft. Also are you going for the thesis or non thesis MS option?
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 6:06pm On Dec 30, 2009
January deadlines usually apply to people who apply to top schools for admission and financial aid. For example, MIT's Chemical Engineering department has deadline of January 1 for PhD applicants. Other schools (not the top 20-30) have theirs from February to April depending on the program you're applying for.

About the visa stuff, no hassles. The most important thing for one to do is to ensure that one prepares well for the interview. A character that exudes confidence and charisma, alongside the necessary documents should make one scale through the visa process.

I'm glad I passed the AW but a 5.0 wouldn't have been bad. wink You can send your SOP to my email. About my option, I applied directly for PhD for two schools, the rest are MS with the thesis option. I've added you on my yahoo messenger. Hit me up as soon as you can.
Re: Preparing for GRE by okele193N: 4:32am On Dec 31, 2009
About the VISA, let's just keep our fingers cross. Superbrain congrat about your score, 4 is not a bad mark in AW for engineering.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 6:00am On Dec 31, 2009
Re: Preparing for GRE by 2good(m): 8:24pm On Jan 10, 2010
I also applied to some american schools for msc Petroleum Engineering.
This is my profile
GRE score aggregate 1350(quantitative-790 verbal-560 AWA-3.0)
Toefl ibt aggrerate 100 (writing-28, listening-24, speaking-20 and reading 28)
I applied to [b]University of Texas @ Austin, Texas A & M and Louisiana State University all for Petroleum Engineering.
I graduated from Unilag with a Chemical Engineering major and a GPA of 4.01/5.00
I have 1 year experience as a wellsite drilling engineer working on a jack up drilling rig.
Do u guys think my profile can give my admission with funding in any of the schools above?
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 4:45pm On Jan 11, 2010
2good:

I also applied to some american schools for msc Petroleum Engineering.
This is my profile
GRE score aggregate 1350(quantitative-790 verbal-560 AWA-3.0)
Toefl ibt aggrerate 100 (writing-28, listening-24, speaking-20 and reading 28)
I applied to [b]University of Texas @ Austin, Texas A & M and Louisiana State University all for Petroleum Engineering.
I graduated from Unilag with a Chemical Engineering major and a GPA of 4.01/5.00
I have 1 year experience as a wellsite drilling engineer working on a jack up drilling rig.
Do u guys think my profile can give my admission with funding in any of the schools above?

your profile is slightly better than mine (1310- 760 Quantitative, 550 Verbal; 5.0 AWA) and I'm applying to one of the schools on your list so I think you have as good a chance as I do if not better than I do at LSU (the other schools are a bit more competitive but you have a chance), what does a 4.01/5.00 gpa translate to on a scale of 1 to 4? If you can, apply to one or two lower ranked schools as well. I've applied to all top schools in the past and was burned by all of them then again maybe that's because I applied for the spring program as opposed to fall.
Re: Preparing for GRE by 2good(m): 8:28pm On Jan 11, 2010
Hi guys,
I just got admitted to TU Delft for MSc. Petroleum Engineering and Geoscience. I have a chance of being considered for scholarships like BP, huygen, nuffic etc which could cover my full cost of education.
I am hoping 2 get one of these scholarship, but at thesame time, my priority is to go to an american school because I am concerned of job after graduation and i think it is easier getting job from american schools.
Although i dont have an offer yet from any american school, I am hoping to get from atleast 2 of the schools I am applying 2 for fall semester.
What do u guys think about technical university of delft as regards standard and career prospect after graduation in europe and d world?
Re: Preparing for GRE by H2O2: 11:02pm On Jan 11, 2010
All these GRE nuts.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 11:05pm On Jan 11, 2010
Hi guys,
     I just got admitted to TU Delft for MSc. Petroleum Engineering and Geoscience. I have a chance of being considered for scholarships like BP, huygen, nuffic etc which could cover my full cost of education.
    I am hoping 2 get one of these scholarship, but at thesame time, my priority is to go to an american school because I am concerned of job after graduation and i think it is easier getting job from american schools.
    Although i dont have an offer yet from any american school, I am hoping to get from atleast 2 of the schools I am applying 2 for fall semester.
    What do u guys think about technical university of delft as regards standard and career prospect after graduation in europe and d world

TU Delft is a good school and quite better in reputation than any of the schools you applied to except for UT Austin. Now considering job prospects- TU Delft is in Holland- Royal Dutch shell is a dutch company, put two and two together- yes, TU Delft is probably the number one choice for recruiting engineers in Shell, and BP and such. As for America, I dont know about the opportunities for getting a Job- what I heard was very very hard to get a job compared to any other place. You would also have to apply for a work visa and stuff which is hard in America. If you get a scholarship at TU Delft, you should definitely consider it.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 11:06pm On Jan 11, 2010
All these GRE nuts.

Go away and toast babes in the Romance section. We guys have figured out that nerds get all the girls cool
Re: Preparing for GRE by H2O2: 11:22pm On Jan 11, 2010
Then allow me to simplify the quadratic equation for you nerds.
grin The secret to having women eat out of your palm lies in money.

I don't toast babes again, I just flash them and they get the drift.
Re: Preparing for GRE by yalesam: 9:53pm On Jan 12, 2010
i must confess that you guys have all been doing a great job, i did have been following the thread quite some days now, i must confess it has really been so informative. i have really learnt a alot from this thread. i am planning to have my GRE in the next 3months and i really want to start preparing now so as to ace the exam once and for all.

but i am facing some great challenges downloading books online, in view of this i am seeking for assistance from all those that had done their exams to please assist me with all available and resourceful material that could be of great benefit. I will so much appreciate if you can send to my mail box all soft copy material that could be of help ranging from grebible software, powerprep test, Barron's prep, big book and kaplans and others.

here is my email address: smithbguy [at] yahoo [dot] com

thanks,
Re: Preparing for GRE by biina: 11:29pm On Jan 12, 2010
SEFAGO:

TU Delft is a good school and quite better in reputation than any of the schools you applied to except for UT Austin. Now considering job prospects- TU Delft is in Holland- Royal Dutch shell is a dutch company, put two and two together- yes, TU Delft is probably the number one choice for recruiting engineers in Shell, and BP and such. As for America, I dont know about the opportunities for getting a Job- what I heard was very very hard to get a job compared to any other place. You would also have to apply for a work visa and stuff which is hard in America. If you get a scholarship at TU Delft, you should definitely consider it.
If you study a STEM program (of which Petroleum Engr is one) in the US, you are entitled to an Optional practical training of 29 months on your F1 status, during which you can work for a US employer. Before the end of this period you will have to apply for an H1B status working permit or permanent residence. Getting the job itself would would depend on the state of the economy, your qualifications and your job targets. I expect the job market to be more favorable in 2yrs time.

Getting a degree on a scholarship should be preferable to getting it on your own bill. The one thing I would worry about if going to TU Delft is the language barrier, as I am terrible with languages.  http://www.delta.tudelft.nl/en/archive/article/-hit-me-with-your-english-stick/20107
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 11:50pm On Jan 12, 2010
If you study a STEM program (of which Petroleum Engr is one) in the US, you are entitled to an Optional practical training of 29 months on your F1 status, during which you can work for a US employer. Before the end of this period you will have to apply for an H1B status working permit or permanent residence. Getting the job itself would would depend on the state of the economy, your qualifications and your job targets. I expect the job market to be more favorable in 2yrs time.

Getting a degree on a scholarship should be preferable to getting it on your own bill. The one thing I would worry about if going to TU Delft is the language barrier, as I am terrible with languages. http://www.delta.tudelft.nl/en/archive/article/-hit-me-with-your-english-stick/20107

Yeah but the problem with the STEM program is that you need to first find a job before you can actually use the first year of your OPT-12 months and then apply for an extension- additional 17months. Getting a job in the US with a masters degree and a Nigerian undergraduate degree is not easy from what I have seen in this economy (I expect someone to bring an example of their friend who got a job under such a scenario- but exceptions do not overthrow a law). However, in Europe- Amsterdam/London specifically, it is very possible for someone with an engineering degree to apply and get a job and process his work visa.

Furthermore, H1-B has a quota and so its not really guaranteed that he would be given the H1-B after he completes his degree and obtains a job. Yes he can file for the H1-B twice, by using the OPT if for the first time he is placed in the backlog and then filing a second time though.

Why I am skeptical about commenting on the job opportunities in America, is because I am not totally unfamiliar with how engineering hiring works. If it was for other fields such as banking/consulting I could be more vocal. Like its now harder for international students to get jobs in such industries now because of a bad economy than previously. So my skepticism about jobs in other sectors most especially the technology sector.
Re: Preparing for GRE by biina: 1:38am On Jan 13, 2010
SEFAGO:

Yeah but the problem with the STEM program is that you need to first find a job before you can actually use the first year of your OPT-12 months and then apply for an extension- additional 17months. Getting a job in the US with a masters degree and a Nigerian undergraduate degree is not easy from what I have seen in this economy (I expect someone to bring an example of their friend who got a job under such a scenario- but exceptions do not overthrow a law). However, in Europe- Amsterdam/London specifically, it is very possible for someone with an engineering degree to apply and get a job and process his work visa.
You do not need a job offer to obtain your initial OPT, but need to be employed to get the extension. In fact you can make use of part of it while in school (if for any reason the option of a CPT is unavailable). Comparing notes between people I know in the US and the UK,  US ones seem to be finding jobs more easily than those in the UK, with most in the UK coming back to naija. I doubt the Netherlands job market is any better. Still, job availability is often subjective, as most people I know in the US went to some of the top schools in their fields.

Furthermore, H1-B has a quota and so its not really guaranteed that he would be given the H1-B after he completes his degree and obtains a job. Yes he can file for the H1-B twice, by using the OPT if for the first time he is placed in the backlog and then filing a second time though.
You need an employer to file an H1B for you, and one would expect that to be while you are still on OPT with same company. Someone with a MS degree will have the opportunity to get one under the 20K advanced degree or 65k general quota. Last year there were 163k applicants for the total 85K slots. That gives a more than 50% chance of success on average, and a much higher value if you have an advanced degree.

Why I am skeptical about commenting on the job opportunities in America, is because I am not totally unfamiliar with how engineering hiring works. If it was for other fields such as banking/consulting I could be more vocal. Like its now harder for international students to get jobs in such industries now because of a bad economy than previously. So my skepticism about jobs in other sectors most especially the technology sector.
I am sure the job market pinch extends into engineering jobs as well, but I expect things to be much better 2yrs in the future. You cannot use the current state of affairs as the baseline, as there is an economical slump.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 3:41am On Jan 13, 2010
^ seems solid.
Re: Preparing for GRE by 2good(m): 10:32am On Jan 13, 2010
Thank you all forn your contribution.
I believe I am going to have a very big problem deciding on the school to attend come fall 2010 because I applied to a lot of schools and have already gotten admission in three of them.
They are:
1. University of Nottingham: Petroleum and Environmental Process Engineering
2. TUDelft: Petroleum Engineering and Geoscience.
3. Eindhoven University of Technology: Chemical Engineering.
I am also expecting to hear good news from the following schools
1. Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU): Petroleum Engineering
2. Heriot Watt University: Reservoir Evaluation Management
3. Royal Institute of Technology Stolckolm: Chemical Engineering with Energy Option
4. Louisiana State university: Petroleum Engineering
5. Texas A&M: Petroleum Engineering
6. University of Texas @ Austin: Petroleum and Geosystem Engineering.

I will be needing very good advicers to convice on which of the schools to attend that will give me a better guaranteed future.
You advices will also be welcome
Re: Preparing for GRE by BlackkBoy: 6:29pm On Jan 13, 2010
Hi guys. How come I never knew such a forum exists? Believe me, having spend some one hour+ going through the 11 pages of really interesting posts in this forum, I knida feel some regret not to have discovered this group earlier; especially when I realized I could have just obtained some debit cards from some Nigerian banks to make online payments for my GRE scheduling, ASRs and application fees.
It's still quite nice to know I have some like-minded individuals I can rub minds with.
Perhaps, I should introduce myself as some Nigerian hpoing to matriculate in a decent graduate programme in the US come fall 2010.  
I will be glad to continually share my little experiences with these 'American runs' with positive minded Nigerians who are or will be interested in following this path.

2good, contratulations on your acceptances. With the assumption that you have applied to, and thus admitted to, masters degree programmes which is a norm that it's sparingly funded; I think the very first thing to consider is funding. Except you are from a really well-to-do background and it's no problem to fund yourself through these programmes, I think an admission that comes with some sort of scholarship should top your list of
preference.
Re: Preparing for GRE by yalesam: 9:53pm On Jan 13, 2010
@2good, i will advice you to go for anything texas to study there as you have greater opportunity in petroleum engineering out there since it a oil rich state for US and there u stand a good chance of having deep knowledge out there considering the fact that u will be opened to internships and have wide and good experience there better.

again, u stand a good chance of getting assistantship for pet engr there in texas more easily, so what are u waiting for, good education, top ranked skools and possibility of assistantship.

but in my own case i am considering, skools in canada maybe coz am into ICT, Computer Engineering to be precise.

finally, i am still imploring to u all out there, i need as much as possible materials from u guys to help me adequately prepare for my GRE,

2good, i know u could be helpful as this regard, so also superbrain,sefago, bebure and all others that could help with materials to study well for GRE, please do send me soft copy materials to my mail box: smithbguy (at) yahoo (dot) com
Re: Preparing for GRE by bebure(m): 5:39am On Jan 14, 2010
Congrats 2good, we may meet in fall at LSU
Re: Preparing for GRE by Superbrain(m): 5:21pm On Jan 15, 2010
BlackkBoy:

Hi guys. How come I never knew such a forum exists? Believe me, having spend some one hour+ going through the 11 pages of really interesting posts in this forum, I knida feel some regret not to have discovered this group earlier; especially when I realized I could have just obtained some debit cards from some Nigerian banks to make online payments for my GRE scheduling, ASRs and application fees.
It's still quite nice to know I have some like-minded individuals I can rub minds with.
Perhaps, I should introduce myself as some Nigerian hpoing to matriculate in a decent graduate programme in the US come fall 2010.
I will be glad to continually share my little experiences with these 'American runs' with positive minded Nigerians who are or will be interested in following this path.

2good, contratulations on your acceptances. With the assumption that you have applied to, and thus admitted to, masters degree programmes which is a norm that it's sparingly funded; I think the very first thing to consider is funding. Except you are from a really well-to-do background and it's no problem to fund yourself through these programmes, I think an admission that comes with some sort of scholarship should top your list of
preference.

Welcome bro. I wish you the best in your endeavours.

2good:

Thank you all forn your contribution.
I believe I am going to have a very big problem deciding on the school to attend come fall 2010 because I applied to a lot of schools and have already gotten admission in three of them.
They are:
1. University of Nottingham: Petroleum and Environmental Process Engineering
2. TUDelft: Petroleum Engineering and Geoscience.
3. Eindhoven University of Technology: Chemical Engineering.
I am also expecting to hear good news from the following schools
1. Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU): Petroleum Engineering
2. Heriot Watt University: Reservoir Evaluation Management
3. Royal Institute of Technology Stolckolm: Chemical Engineering with Energy Option
4. Louisiana State university: Petroleum Engineering
5. Texas A&M: Petroleum Engineering
6. University of Texas @ Austin: Petroleum and Geosystem Engineering.

I will be needing very good advicers to convice on which of the schools to attend that will give me a better guaranteed future.
You advices will also be welcome

Guy go for the schools in Texas once you get the admission. LSU should also be an option due to proximity to Texas and LSU also has a very reputable Petroleum Program.
Re: Preparing for GRE by bawomolo(m): 7:36pm On Jan 15, 2010
what is ethanol the woman rapper doing here?
Re: Preparing for GRE by biina: 7:40pm On Jan 15, 2010
@2good
I would have to agree with yalesam, in that funding should be a priority when deciding which offer to accept. Funding is often limited for MS programs, and has been further limited under the economic crunch. Its nice, and often advantageous, to get a degree from a top school, but I dont think it is nice enough for you to be wallowing in debt after the program. If you have a personal or external source of funding for your program, then you should accept the offer from the best school available, otherwise, I would advice you to select from among those offering funding opportunities.

Do not enroll in a program without a sound financial plan e.g. going simply on the wishful thinking that you will hustle and find your way once you get there. I am privy to cases of Nigerian students who have had to abandon their programs on financial grounds. In the US, you are expected to be enrolled full-time to maintain your F-1 student visa status. If you cannot pay your tuition, most school will refuse you enrollment and you will have violated your immigrant status, and (depending on how much of a stickler your DSO is) might be in trouble with the INS. Normally you are not expected to work off campus to fund your program, but some schools help you work around it by granting you a CPT which permits you to work part-time off campus in a position that is 'related' to your field of study. The usefulness of the CPT will depend on the employment opportunities available around your school, your ability to cope with the workload, and the financial cost of your enrollment.
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 7:41pm On Jan 15, 2010
bawomolo:

He was trying to see if any girl is taking the GRE
Re: Preparing for GRE by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jan 15, 2010
bawomolo:

woman wrapper - you're too kind

some one who was demoted from ethanol - which intoxicates women to peroxide - something women rinse through their hair and throw down the pour down the drain -

u shld call him tooth bleach cheesy
Re: Preparing for GRE by H2O2: 9:45pm On Jan 15, 2010
oyb:

woman wrapper - you're too kind

some one who was demoted from ethanol - which intoxicates women to peroxide - something women rinse through their hair and throw down the pour down the drain -

u shld call him tooth bleach cheesy
ROFLMAO!! Instant death.
Re: Preparing for GRE by H2O2: 10:04pm On Jan 15, 2010
grin grin To my critics,

Love for women is innate in all real men by virtue of the abundance of testosterone overflowing in our blood streams.

Being a diligent student will not clutter or in the slightest bit depress my fondness of womenkiss
I suggest you all set aside your books at least once every other weekend in pursuit of women.

For those with the temerity to to dip their hands into the female cookie jar, I would highly encourage you to do so because it makes focusing on the GRE much easier.

Thank you very much.
Re: Preparing for GRE by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jan 15, 2010
^^^

peroxide - who dash you dipping - you are bleach - the closet u go take reach first base na for overambitious fake blonde who wants ALL her hair to match
Re: Preparing for GRE by bawomolo(m): 12:42am On Jan 16, 2010
oyb:

^^^

peroxide - who dash you dipping - you are bleach - the closet u go take reach first base na for overambitious fake blonde who wants ALL her hair to match

lmao someone please call the undertakers grin
Re: Preparing for GRE by SEFAGO(m): 12:45am On Jan 16, 2010
Could you guys take your womanizing to the romance section. This section is for people taking the GRE and who need advise on graduate school applications

Thanks bros
Re: Preparing for GRE by Nobody: 7:13am On Jan 16, 2010
sefago no vex at us railway saboteurs

i've been wanting to poke fun at h202 ever since he clipped the c cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (44) (Reply)

The Ten Oldest Secondary Schools In Nigeria? / Male Students Sign On Boobs Of Female Students (PICS) / Scenic Pictures Of ABU Zaria Dam

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.