Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,165 members, 7,939,678 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 10:21 AM

Does The Full Face Veil Stand As A Barrier In Communication? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Does The Full Face Veil Stand As A Barrier In Communication? (1378 Views)

Face-Veil: Why The Ban? / Does The Quran Permit Suicide? / Our Stand As Muslims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Does The Full Face Veil Stand As A Barrier In Communication? by emofine2(f): 1:53pm On May 23, 2012
I’ll begin by assuring I mean no ill intention in asking these questions and I hope no one will take offence as that is neither my motive but I sincerely would like to hear the opinions of Muslims regarding this.

Whilst I appreciate that it is entirely the prerogative (both as a religious and human right) of all Muslimahs to wear what befits them and of course maintaining their faith requirements as a priority I’ve often wondered about the social effect the burka may inadvertently cause in terms of communication.

When it comes to communication there are many components to consider – visual being one of those – thus the burka immediately makes it difficult in communication in this instance. In such cases the full face veil may pose as a wall concealing the emotions/visual language of the anonymous party clad in the burka.
Thus is the burka a barrier in social settings that often times relies on the visual? i.e. court cases, interviews etc...

I understand that wearing such apparel may wholly be out of piety but whilst I do find it quite honourable of Muslim women who dress moderately partly to avert lustful attention in so doing assisting their brethren do not fall into temptation such clearly shows that there has been a consideration for their male neighbours.

Thus I wonder could not that consideration be extended to other neighbours that may rely on visual language as an important factor in communication?
Re: Does The Full Face Veil Stand As A Barrier In Communication? by tbaba1234: 7:09pm On May 23, 2012
A woman wearing a burka can expose her face to other women and in the presence of family and relations. you only wear the burka or hijab in the presence of strange men.

Maybe she does it to limit the kind of communication she has with strange men. That is why she would request a female doctor for instance. Social gathering with family or with girlfriends does not require the veil.

Special concessions can be made for identification purposes; A basic rule in Islam is that necessity allows for compromise/concession.... Now that depends on what is deemed a necessity. In the case of eating restrictions for instance, Allah says:

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than God. But whoever is forced [by necessity], neither desiring [it] nor transgressing [its limit], there is no sin upon him. Indeed, God is Forgiving and Merciful. (Surah 2:173)

Identification can be deemed a necessity in a court room or an airport... Many women wearing the burka elect to be housewives and take care of their home front.
Re: Does The Full Face Veil Stand As A Barrier In Communication? by emofine2(f): 8:13pm On May 23, 2012
Thanks tbaba.

(1) (Reply)

The Religion Of Peace - Myths Of Islam / Demba Ba Reacts To The Banning Of Koran And Muslims In China. (pics) / How Can We Forget Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.