Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,536 members, 7,888,718 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 01:37 PM

My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption (2369 Views)

Full Option Registered Nissan Xtera 2004 Going Cheap / 09 Camry.2000 Sienna.01 Xtera And Bmw X5. / Faragon Bus or Volkswagen Bus Feul Needed urgent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption by surugede(m): 6:07pm On May 25, 2012
i spend and average of 10k per week on fuel on My Nissan extera 2001 model. I live at Ajah and work in Lekki, I suttle at least 3 times in a week between my offfice in Lekki and VI, yet i spen this aount on fuel

For me I believe, the vehicle comsumes fuel, what do you think guys.
Re: My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption by scanthecar: 6:20pm On May 25, 2012
Is there any service engine soon light lit on your instrument cluster(dashboard)? Take your car for a comprehensive scan. Something is definitely wrong. You can let me know what code you pulled out and I would help out in whatever capacity that I can.
Re: My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption by mutiply: 7:43pm On May 25, 2012
sometin definitely wrong,pls i advice u nt to speed much whn drivin dat car,if it persists,den u nid to go scan ur car
Re: My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption by NnamdiChidi(m): 11:23pm On May 25, 2012
u forgot to tell us if u r using ac,xterra consumes fuel if u r using it
Re: My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption by surugede(m): 11:05pm On May 26, 2012
yes i use AC, but going by the distance a cover per day (Ajah to VI) even with the AC, I still find spendig close to 40k on fuel on the high side.

Please where can I go for the car scan within Ajah - VI axis.

@scanthecar, there is no "service engine soon" light on the dash board
Re: My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption by gulfer: 9:07am On May 27, 2012
surugede: yes i use AC, but going by the distance a cover per day (Ajah to VI) even with the AC, I still find spendig close to 40k on fuel on the high side.

Please where can I go for the car scan within Ajah - VI axis.

@scanthecar, there is no "service engine soon" light on the dash board
try to trigger the CEL by not properly closing your gas tank and starting the engine. If the light doesn't come on it night have been disconnected by someone or the connection is short. You can also post a picture of ur current instrument cluster while the vehicle is started.
Re: My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption by nissparts(m): 6:47pm On May 27, 2012
Mileage that bad, I'd say you have blocked catalysts
Re: My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption by Nobody: 7:45pm On May 27, 2012
GO AND SELL OFF THAT BASTARD OR ELSE IT WILL REAP YOU OFF. I SOLD MY OWN AND NOW I AM BOUNCING BACK TO LIFE.

2 Likes

Re: My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption by surugede(m): 10:31pm On May 27, 2012
nissparts: Mileage that bad, I'd say you have blocked catalysts

Blocked catalysts? so whats the way forward
Re: My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption by FabulousAutos(m): 6:55am On May 28, 2012
Same problem here. My neighbour spends 16 ltr from Ajah to airport on his 3.3ltr Xterra but my 3.0 RX 300 uses 26 Lyra to cover same distance.I've been advised to service the injector, change nuzzles and inspect catalyst. What do you think guys?
Re: My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption by nissparts(m): 8:51am On May 28, 2012
surugede:

Blocked catalysts? so whats the way forward

Have a technician open up your exhaust to confirm they are blocked. If they are remove them or replace them.
Re: My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption by cretin: 9:49am On May 28, 2012
xterra has a high fuel consumption just like the 01 to 04 nissan pathfinder.
but first u need to be specific..how many miles/km do you drive on a full tank ...and what is the capacity of ur tank?
provide the data first and we can analyse ur problem scientifically..........

when u fill up...zero ur trap meter and dont fill up until the tank is empty/the fuel warning light comes on...tells us the reported mileage reading and ur fuel tank capacity then we will calculate ur mpg and compare it with the vehicle manufacturere mpg chikena!
Re: My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption by FabulousAutos(m): 5:42pm On May 29, 2012
Fabulous Autos: Same problem here. My neighbour spends 16 ltr from Ajah to airport on his 3.3ltr Xterra but my 3.0 RX 300 uses 26 Lyra to cover same distance.I've been advised to service the injector, change nuzzles and inspect catalyst. What do you think guys?

Ok. Here's my experience after posting this yesterday.
I went to Ladipo and was referred to a mechanic who told the engine and emission are in good working condition and will not need to be tampered with. I was advised to service the nuxxle and injector at Mobil filling station and it cost me 5k to do that there. When I discovered that there was no improvement, I did what I should have done earlier and the result shoes, P1155 Air/Fuel sensor Heater Malfunction, Bank 2 Sensor 1.

My advise is for you to scan it first.
Re: My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption by nissparts(m): 9:48pm On May 29, 2012
First of all, that code is a reference to the oxygen sensor that monitors your catalyst in bank 2.
That oxygen sensor has no bearing on your fuel system as this is controlled by the air/fuel ratio oxygen sensor on top.
You'll get the 1155 either when the electrical connector to the sensor is bad or where your catalyst is bad(which would cause bad fuel mileage)
Do either of you experience engine pinging when you accelerate?
Re: My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption by Faithnn: 6:51am On May 30, 2012
A lot of my friends who use xterra complain bitterly of this fuel consumption issue.My adivice to them was to either get a smaller car that has fuel economy to support the exterra or reduce the xterra daily use by using public trans.Xterra is classified as one of the luxury cars and should not be used on daily basis as other cars like, camry, corolla etc.Buy one of these advise and ursef from unneccessary expenses.Good luck.
Re: My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption by FabulousAutos(m): 8:00am On May 30, 2012
nissparts: First of all, that code is a reference to the oxygen sensor that monitors your catalyst in bank 2.
That oxygen sensor has no bearing on your fuel system as this is controlled by the air/fuel ratio oxygen sensor on top.
You'll get the 1155 either when the electrical connector to the sensor is bad or where your catalyst is bad(which would cause bad fuel mileage)
Do either of you experience engine pinging when you accelerate?

Thanks for throwing more light on this. That means it is better to change both catalyst and the bank 2 sensor
The raving is ok, dont experience any pinging while driving. However, I don't warm the car b4 driving off in the early morning and consequently, I sometimes experience some hesitant but it clears off when I step on the gas pedal, and I'm good to go. What do you advise? Thanks once again.
Re: My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption by nissparts(m): 1:00pm On May 30, 2012
My advise, if your only option for replacement catalyst is a tokunbo then I strongly advise you just remove the catalyst which is blocked and then do what is called an oxygen sensor extender mod (google it).
If you do not do the mod, you will get catalyst codes but your mileage will improve. The mod will ensure you get the best mileage possible with our fuel grade.
You will only need to change the oxygen sensor if you confirm it has a bad electrical connection
Re: My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption by cretin: 2:58pm On Jun 04, 2012
change only the bad sensor..leave the catalytic converter alone. a bad cat usually throws off a code..after changing the sensor...if the thing continues...then come and let us know....car troubles are best solved scientifically..one variable at a time
Re: My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption by nissparts(m): 3:57pm On Jun 04, 2012
Post cat oxygen sensor has no effect on fuel mileage so if that's his primary issue, the sensor is not responsible.
Re: My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption by FabulousAutos(m): 11:40pm On Jun 04, 2012
Thanks for your contributions. I just remembered that the plugs have not been changed ever since it was bought about 2 years back as tokunbor. Before I left town lash week, I switched on the ac few seconds after I turned on the ignition and then tried to engage the gear but the engine went off. I suspect that the plugs are weak. Might be wrong anyway.

Meanwhile, the car revs at 320 at cold start and then settles at 700-750 once the engine warmed up. I noticed recently too that sometimes when I slow down at the junction or at the traffic and the try to accelerate, the car doesn't respond well. I am a light foot driver but I have to press hard in such occasion before it responds. Is this a sign that the plugs are weak, and does the plugs play major role in fuel consumption? Perhaps I have to start by changing the plugs and monitor the fuel consumption. Which plugs would be ideal? Someone suggested platinum plugs earlier.
Re: My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption by stepedie: 8:24am On Jun 05, 2012
Well i'll advice you scna the car, Scanning it would give you an insight to where the issue is instead of doing a guess work...You can call me up on 08028290680 for your scan at a reduced price,am always in lekki phase 1 during the week till 3pm...Cheers
Re: My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption by Nobody: 9:23am On Jun 05, 2012
Hi,

Change ur plugs. Buy original denso plugs. They are meant for toyota but its perfect on nissan too.

D original plug has a dull silver colour at d metallic part. D fake plugs are shiny in colour.

Have u changed d fuel filter since u bought d car. Look for original big/medium size filters. Nissan cars are designed to change d fuel filters at least every 3 to 4 months.

Then clean ur air filters in d air flow meter compartment

Do not be deceived. D problem is either fuel filter, plugs or air filter.

if d problem persists, service ur injector nozzles with a carburettor cleaner (that spray can) . A good mechanic will not charge u more than N1500 to service it. I service my nozzle by myself.

If after all this, fuel consumption is still high. Check ur engine tune up. It may be that the engine tune up is too high, u have to tune down d engine a little bit. U can adjust d engine where d distributor is.

If after all this no improvement still, u may have to tactfully put up ur car for sale.

Advise: ensure d mechanic u ar used to follows the instructions above.

If it works, just let me know. No fees!!!

Re: My Xtera, And Her Feul Consumption by FabulousAutos(m): 10:05pm On Jun 05, 2012
@Chiebube,
Thank a million. As a DIY, I find your tips VERY HELPFUL. Just realized we've talked some days back. Wish I could go back to 4 Cylinders. They are more easy to fiddle with. I could barely handle rutine maintenance with this car unlike the 4cyls. I've registered your number on my phone.

(1) (Reply)

Tokunbo Power Bike 4 Sale, Grade 1 / Toyota Camry 2011 Model / 07 Camry XLE Full Options *2.3M From Cotonou To Lagos*genuine Duties Inclusive!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.