Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,496 members, 7,971,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 05:17 PM

Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola (18597 Views)

See How Pirate Confraternity Members Welcomed Nnamdi Azikiwe 2 UNILAG In 70s(pic / Picture Of Abiola, Tukur And Yaradua Back In The Days / Wole Soyinka Opposes UNILAG/MAU Renaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by DeepSight(m): 7:44pm On May 29, 2012
yd849ja:

He is the president of Nigeria and not the visitor of the university of Lagos, get your facts straight even a visitor still needs to consult the governing council to take such an action. In this case I doubt our slowpoke has considered that even before going forward with this uncouth action.

Let me say that I am not discussing the legality of the action. Unilag was established by an Act of parliament in 1962 and as such that act probably neeeds to be amended before such a name change can take effect. Probably the National Assembly will be assailed with protests and lord knows whether they may even pass it. My point is that the decision of itself is grand, it's excellent and most apt and deserving. Anyone with a sense of History should know this. I suspect a lot of UNILAG alumni are upset cos MAULAG doesnt quite sound with the same swagger that UNILAG does. I graduated from UNILAG 12 years ago and yes, I prefer the name UNILAG, but I am more keen to see MKO properly honoured and this is an excellent step in that direction.

1 Like

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by tpia5: 7:46pm On May 29, 2012
Deep Sight: If we have Obafemi Awolowo University, Tafawa Balewa University, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Ahmadu Bello University. . . and these are all pre-eminent institutions, then it is CLEAR that the principle of naming an eminent Federal Institution after an eminent national hero is not in question.

says who?

the fact that they renamed some universities doesnt mean there's a hard and fast rule that they should rename ALL universities.

if that's the plan then they should just change the names of[b] all [/b]the universities at one go, and get it over with.

and while doing that, they should free up the former names for other private institutions who have an interest, to take over for their own universities.

these colleges are named for the towns they're located in, which is significant.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by DeepSight(m): 7:48pm On May 29, 2012
tpia@:

says who?

the fact that they renamed some universities doesnt mean there's a hard and fast rule that they should rename ALL universities.

if that's the plan then they should just change the names of[b] all [/b]the universities at one go, and get it over with.

and while doing that, they should free up the former names for other private institutions who have an interest in the name, to take over for their own universities.

Nobody ever said there is any hard and fast rule so quit the chit chat. My point is that it has precedent and as such we cannot say that renaming a university after a national icon is wrong. Simple, dear.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Nobody: 7:49pm On May 29, 2012
The name Unilag has bcome a brand associated with one of d best quality education even within our nations poor education standards,d name has bcome a landmark.
If GEJ wanted to honour late MKO,1st of declare june 12 as the true Democratic day instead of May 29 and then he can name one of d newly commissioned universities after MKO.
WHY WUD SOMEONE WANT TO CHANGE THE CAR NAME FERRARI TO SOMETHING ELSE?
Dis is not a matter of whether Goverment has d right or not,ITS ABOUT D NAME UNILAG AND WHAT IT REPRESENTS...
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by DeepSight(m): 7:50pm On May 29, 2012
Xsolutions: The name Unilag has bcome a brand associated with one of d best quality education even within our nations poor education standards,d name has bcome a landmark.
If GEJ wanted to honour late MKO,1st of declare june 12 as the true Democratic day instead of May 29 and then he can name one of d newly commissioned universities after MKO.
WHY WUD SOMEONE WANT TO CHANGE THE CAR NAME FERRARI TO SOMETHING ELSE?
Dis is not a matter of whether Goverment has d right or not,ITS ABOUT D NAME UNILAG AND WHAT IT REPRESENTS...

Many notable universities have had their names changed before so quit right there.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Sweetdbest: 7:52pm On May 29, 2012
Why dey no buy football write his names on it? This man was never an academician, rather known as Pillar of Sports. Buy football and inscribe his names on it. Or buy wrapper and inscribe his names on women assssssssssh since he loves women so much
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by werepeLeri: 7:53pm On May 29, 2012
Nonsense. When the name University of Ife was changed to Obafemi Awolowo University in 1987- were you born? Who did the change? a civilian?
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by yd849ja: 7:55pm On May 29, 2012
Donmeca:

If this insults ur collective intelligence, then u guys are not really as intelligent as u are deceived to believe. Did u say he shuddering erect a status ifo Abiola's memorial? That wud b a waste of money and u know it. U will even b d first to come here and shout that we have no light, no water, poor roads and GEJ is wasting money to remember Abiola.

I can see google has finally come to your aide. You are not quite of age for a conversatory audience with me. Thank you anyway.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by JomoGbomo2(m): 7:56pm On May 29, 2012
Some pple are asking what's there in a name, the name UNILAG is an identity (some will say brand) built over years - the change though not affecting academics, eliminates all goodwill, perception and recognition attributable with it's mention. now it has to start again. a name is not just a name - it embodies goodwill. that's why companies acquiring other companies pay for the GOODWILL the name carries separately. (try release a product and call it Apple or Ipad if u are brave all countries have flagship institutions, they build and maintain its name for a purpose
Why does GEJ have to erase a legacy just to build another when he can actually have both. UNILAG is a Legacy MKO Abiola is another, you don't have to kill one for the other.

PS: part of this write up above is from a friend.

1 Like

Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Donmeca(m): 7:57pm On May 29, 2012
tpia@:

enough of the senseless chit chat.

harvard is a PRIVATE university, you num@&&&ulls, and in spite of that, has had the same name since 1632.

abeg make una go siddon for corner!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvard_University

Did u read d article or are u just ranting like a self-acclaimed intelligent lad who ends up failing all exams cos he's too smart to listen in class? Who was d school named after? When it was named or established doesn't matter here.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by snellsun(m): 8:02pm On May 29, 2012
grin grin[b][/b][quote author=tonymusogo]Unilag Babes now Abiola Babes=)). 
Unilag FM Station now MFM =)) =)). 
Unilag now Moshood Abiola University ( MAU)
50yrs of swag lost on Democracy day!

Uniport don't laff.
u r next! 
Patience Ebele Jonathan University 
*PEJU*=)

Buhahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. LWKMO
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Donmeca(m): 8:03pm On May 29, 2012
yd849ja:

I can see google has finally come to your aide. You are not quite of age for a conversatory audience with me. Thank you anyway.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by tpia5: 8:04pm On May 29, 2012
Donmeca:

Who was d school named after? When it was named or established doesn't matter here.

and what part of PRIVATE university is skipping your cognitive faculty [if you have any]?
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by xyloxloto(m): 8:05pm On May 29, 2012
hmmmm from swag to [b]MALU[/b]UNIVERSITY
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by tpia5: 8:06pm On May 29, 2012
Deep Sight: If we have Obafemi Awolowo University, Tafawa Balewa University, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Ahmadu Bello University. . .

and now, as it turns out, Ahmadu Bello University has never had a name change since its inception in 1962.

eyin yi ma go o.

gbogbo yin ti go ju. undecided
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by xyloxloto(m): 8:07pm On May 29, 2012
MALU UNIVERSITY how doesnt sound ajeboish to me
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Nobody: 8:07pm On May 29, 2012
Taking him to a court he has power over, una de talk from nose.
GEJ did the right thing to immortalise our democracy herop MKO Abiola. Haters kindly go kiss naked wire to show you are protesting till u do it they name can never be changed.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by mkoabiola: 8:08pm On May 29, 2012
People shud learn how to respect d president office,mr president deserves respect and humilTy.wht is d big deal naming a uni afta abiola.wht abt awolowo,nmadi azikwe,michel okpara,ahmadu bello.does it change d sku curiculum or wht?some people will jus begin to typ rubbish and nonsense on nairaland.MAULAG noni.there is nothing any1 can do abt it.abiola deserve it.unilag is not biggeer dan mr president or nigeria.sorry unilag babes now MAULAG babes.MAULAG noni bro joe carry go.who no like am make he go die or jump enta 3rd mainland bridge.shikena
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Donmeca(m): 8:18pm On May 29, 2012
yd849ja:

have u checked what i asked u to check? U sound sillyy
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by DeepSight(m): 8:19pm On May 29, 2012
tpia@:

and now, as it turns out, Ahmadu Bello University has never had a name change since its inception in 1962.

eyin yi ma go o.

gbogbo yin ti go ju. undecided

SO WHAT? Does this mean that name changes do not occur? Or that name changes are wrong? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by kholis(m): 8:21pm On May 29, 2012
My questions:

1.Why has ACN up till now not taken an official position on the issue?
2.Could this be an agreement reached between ThiefNIBU and Jonathan?
3.Why wasn't a federal structure at Abuja used to immortalize the(International Thief Thief)ITT icon?
4.Why wasn't the school council consulted as the case of other universities used for such purposes?
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by xyloxloto(m): 8:23pm On May 29, 2012
i know why they are protesting the name does not sound POSH TO them, if the university was called a name like DENZEL WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY OR SILVERBIRD UNIVERSITY guys trust me they wont protest its because they dont like the name MOSHOOD ABIOLA UNIVERSITY but wats in a name sef abeg all of them should go and sit down and read their books grin grin grin
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Donmeca(m): 8:23pm On May 29, 2012
tpia@:

and what part of PRIVATE university is skipping your cognitive faculty [if you have any]?

i c u just jumped into my post without checking where it came from. Ok, it is a private uni....so what's d argument about unilag? Is it private? So d guy dat mentioned Harvard, was he putting it on d same pedestal as unilag? Can obama just change d name of some other person's investment by fiat?
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by AFOLS: 8:23pm On May 29, 2012
Well, the lawyers can show thier
experties, the students can protest, let everybody have his or her say, the hard fact remains, mr president has made the pronouncement: IT SHALL STAND!
Pronto!
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by tpia5: 8:23pm On May 29, 2012
Deep Sight:

SO WHAT? Does this mean that name changes do not occur? Or that name changes are wrong? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

yes, it means name changes do not occur, and that they are wrong!! angry
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by xyloxloto(m): 8:25pm On May 29, 2012
check these name out MOSHOOD ABIOLA UNIVERSITY COMPARE TO DENZEL WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by bestview: 8:27pm On May 29, 2012
They should change the unilag name biko, afterwards unilag as a nomenclature don dabaru. GEJ well done oo. grin
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by xyloxloto(m): 8:29pm On May 29, 2012
what is in a name? MAULAG STUDENTS grin grin
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by xyloxloto(m): 8:30pm On May 29, 2012
DAT NAME MAULAG has no[b] SWAG [/b]
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by bestview: 8:33pm On May 29, 2012
xyloxloto: what is in a name? MAULAG STUDENTS grin grin

It maybe be because the person they renamed the school to does not have anything to do with education nor being an intelligentsia.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Donmeca(m): 8:34pm On May 29, 2012
GboyegaD:

Are you that stupid that you do not know Harvard is a private school? The face remains that you do not change the name of a school the way GEJ did since it was established by law. You and GEJ do not understand the tenets of democracy you claim you are trying to uphold.

I c u can only read and write without thinking to get d premise of an argument b4 including an ediotic input. Check what made me send d guy back to Google den come back and apologise for calling ya fada names. Was Harvard university named after someone? Who was that?....private or not! Den d fact that d school is private makes d guy i quoted even more stoopid for putting it on d same argumentative pedestal as unilag, which belongs to d FGN.
Re: Sagay, Others Differ Over Renaming Of UNILAG In Honour Of Abiola by Phardeelah: 8:35pm On May 29, 2012
Isn't it glaring in front us dt dis man is jst tryin 2 woo us 'd westerners' 2 his side? N 2 think d weak ones among us ar already falling. O mase o. Y unilag of all skuls. Common sense pls. Think all of u dt like d so cald change.[color=]Isn't it glaring in front us dt dis man is jst tryin 2 woo us 'd westerners' 2 his side? N 2 think d weak ones among us ar already falling. O mase o. Y unilag of all skuls. Common sense pls. Think all of u dt like d so cald change.[/color]Isn't it glaring in front us dt dis man is jst tryin 2 woo us 'd westerners' 2 his side? N 2 think d weak ones among us ar already falling. O mase o. Y unilag of all skuls. Common sense pls. Think all of u dt like d so cald change.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Federal Government Should Ban Hijab In Public Places / Wike And Ekweremadu Inspect Akpajo-woji Bridge / How Tinubu ‘killed’ Yoruba Nation Agitation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.