Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,421 members, 7,888,297 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 01:18 AM

FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. (9889 Views)

FG Suspends Deduction Of States’ Loans / FG Suspends Permanent Secretary Ministry Of Foreign Affairs / FG Suspends Importation Of Private Jets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Kobojunkie: 10:13pm On Jun 05, 2012
BetaThings:
You may think I am dribbling, but the Nigerian system is different from what you have in the US
No big company can dare the FG. Many US companies can speak out against the Obama administration

You are not Dana's lawyer, I am sure
Otherwise I would dare you to advise them to do take FGN to court and you will see their reaction
If Dana as much as files any papers in court over this, I owe you

Let me remind you
A few years ago, when CBN was penalising banks for roundtripping, both FSb (now merged with fidelity) and Diamond bank took CBN to court
2 years later they went to the Bankers Committee to help them beg CBN to let them settle the matter out of court
My challenge stands - if Dana sues I ow you

Where in any of my post did I mention the US system?

Again, stop dribbling, your 'unchallengable' Nigerian system has been sued so many times over by both Nigerian and foreign entities. If you do not know this, spend your time researching it instead and stop trying to de-rail the thread.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jun 05, 2012
whats my business if fg withdraws their license! mtcheeew! " yawns and walks straight to bed"
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by crackhouse(m): 10:16pm On Jun 05, 2012
onatisi: so this is the action gej was talking about
people sef. Now tell me, what do u want him to do? Do u want him to give them a sack letter? Are they working for govt?. At least, his recent action is a good thing to start with, others will take precaution now or else they will also have their licenses revoked and no company will want to experience that. So, in order to avoid it they will take their business seriously.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by nateevs(m): 10:20pm On Jun 05, 2012
Gbawe:

"To allow for a free and unfettered investigation into the circumstances surrounding the fatal crash of flight #992 in Iju area of Lagos".

This is the right thing to do in my opinion.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/nigerian-government-suspends-operating-licence-dana-air

I disagree with this Gbawe. Suspending their license is an insinuation that the airline is guilty.
Though a lot of people have alluded to the fact that the airline operator has a lot to explain, for now it's only conjecture.

If the FG grounds their airlines for some days, I can understand. However, to suspend their license is about the ultimate punishment if eventually guilty. The FG has already done that. Are they guilty already?
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jun 05, 2012
Federal government got it right this time around but suspending Dana airline is not the best alternative. What the federal government is indirectly saying is that any airline that crashes, will be suspended or grounded. Me think that what the federal government should have done was to look into the aviation sector horistically. Dana airline crashed because of corruption, period. Now to Ismhab who says that suspending Dana airways is a great loss to tax income to fed govt. I disagree with him. If you ask the minister of aviation, mrs stella oduah to tell you how much that had been paid to the federal govt. Of Nigeria as tax by airline operators in Nigeria for the past one year of Jonathan's administration, the woman will be looking at you like cenema. Fuel subsidy scam,lack of electricity, pension scam,airline crash,judiciary scam, all have to do with corruption. The sooner Jonathan's administration wakes up and start fighting CORRUPTION, the better for all of us....... Chuks writes from Enugu, Nigeria.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Kobojunkie: 10:21pm On Jun 05, 2012
berem: whats my business if fg withdraws their license! mtcheeew! " yawns and walks straight to bed"

it better be your business because you are looking at the possibility of the Unemployment lines getting longer, and Governments scrambling again to fly out claiming they are out looking for investors.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Reference(m): 10:27pm On Jun 05, 2012
Gbawe:

"To allow for a free and unfettered investigation into the circumstances surrounding the fatal crash of flight #992 in Iju area of Lagos".

This is the right thing to do in my opinion.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/nigerian-government-suspends-operating-licence-dana-air

Concur, particularly as suspicious lie around operational breaches. If a roach is found in your burger the kitchen goes down not just the pack. Moreover several important people will be absent from work a few days answering some very tough questions.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jun 05, 2012
Mobowho:
U travel by road, A tanker will catch fire..by air, plane crashes..u sit in ur house,the plane will come and meet u, u go to church boko haram will attack u,u go by sea,militants will attack,u finally run to ur village,u r kidnapped..! No safe place in naija for people .What. A life

GOAT!!
Is dis matter a joke where u can just copi and paste sshitty stuffs?
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jun 05, 2012
FG made the right decision.

What would we be saying if a plane from same Dana Airline crashes tomorrow? Many would put the blame rightly on government that they should have at least grounded the fleet for two weeks. The dead can not gain from a buoyant economy (so let the investors stay wherever they like). The decision was not even arbitrary, it followed an event. Upon thorough investigation, if the authorities are satisfied, same licence will be restored.

The CEO should be thoroughly investigated. If it could be established, as widely reported, that he made a volitional decision that did not accord deserved priority to safety of passengers, he should be made to face appropriate relevant laws.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Castos(m): 10:32pm On Jun 05, 2012
EPOMA:
These are the kind of animal thinking humans that we find writing senseless things here in nairaland and ruling Nigeria.
U rotten nonentity, just find ur under bridge level before you start halucinating.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Gbawe: 10:49pm On Jun 05, 2012
nateevs:

I disagree with this Gbawe. Suspending their license is an insinuation that the airline is guilty.
Though a lot of people have alluded to the fact that the airline operator has a lot to explain, for now it's only conjecture.

If the FG grounds their airlines for some days, I can understand. However, to suspend their license is about the ultimate punishment if eventually guilty. The FG has already done that. Are they guilty already?

Not at all. It is a safe-guard measure any responsible Government is within its power to utilise if there is even a hint an airline is breaching very strict safety guidelines. Airlines have had their licenses suspended even when a crash has not occurred. What are we then talking about here when a crash has indeed occurred ,taking over 150 lives, with employees of Dana Airline , who will now undoubtedly have supplied more than is put in the public domain, directly talking of negligence that put profit-making above the preservation of human life? I may not be a fan of this Government but they do nothing wrong here and have indeed acted responsibly given that this one incidence of alleged misconduct may not be an isolated one. Other planes run by Dana Airline may indeed be similarly faulty !!!!

My guy, investigate and you will find that there is enough information out there to show that this particular Airplane was one with a recent troubled history that showed it should likely not have been in the air. How many more of these are Dana Airline operating and how does a responsible Government establish this without grounding an airline now very badly tainted with serious allegations over safety and maintenance? Should the FG gamble with another disaster just to satisfy sentiments or, logically, err on the side of the paramount need to protect lives at all time and as much as possible?

http://www.holidayextras.co.uk/news/travel/18220668.html

Iranian airline has license suspended
[/b]Iranian airline Mahan Air has had its operating permit suspended in the UK [b]on the grounds of safety,
the Department for Transport (DfT) has said.

The DfT said that the airline had recently been involved in a number of incidents which suggested a poor level of operational control and safety management. It noted that some aircraft were being operated without collision avoidance systems.

"We suspended the operating permit of Mahan Air on Friday night as it's not able to operate safely," a spokesman for the department said.

"We'll with work with EU and other partners to help Air Mahan to rectify any deficiencies, but we won't allow them to recommence operations until they have convinced us they can do it safely."

In June, Mahan increased the number of flights it operates between the Iranian capital Tehran and the city of Manchester to five a week.

Airport Hotels - Stay the night before your flight and relax in one of our 140 Airport Hotels. Pre-book with Holiday
[quote][/quote]

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by bisi16(m): 10:50pm On Jun 05, 2012
Kobojunkie: I hope Dana Air sues. What do you mean shutting a business down simply because you want to conduct an investigation. shocked

People are, as always, too quick to jump to conclusions . . . we are not sure of what happened and it is nonsensical to suggest that this is the best the government can do at the moment. We have a ministry of Transportation, and a ministry of Aviation for pete's sake. What were they doing BEFORE this happened?
U're a re.tard..
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Kobojunkie: 10:51pm On Jun 05, 2012
bisi16:
U're a retard..

Your papa!
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Reference(m): 10:51pm On Jun 05, 2012
nateevs:

The suspension is for the purpose of re-certification of its entire fleet. Once suspicions arise that the paper work was bent you start there. And if all your aircraft are under audit, what do you have to fly. If I import a consignment of exploding transformers won't SON check the entire batch before releasing them for sale.

The problem is because we lack soft infrastructure in Nigeria. In aviation we are essentially consumers. We have no aerospace industry nor independent experts with technical know how and large archives.

A resident doctor in Alaska who has never encountered malaria and probably has no reference materials will panic, possibly quarantine such a patient and most certainly mis-diagnose. To Americans they may not need to suspend licenses because they have an experienced AIB which everyone is confident in. Even then they are always under pressure to ground aircraft when incidents occur.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Kobojunkie: 10:54pm On Jun 05, 2012
Suspending the licence of an airline AFTER INVESTIGATIONS REVEAL it is not able to operate safely cannot be suggested to be same as suspending license of an airline BEFORE INVESTIGATIONS reveal anything of substance.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jun 05, 2012
Kobojunkie: Suspending the licence of an airline AFTER INVESTIGATIONS REVEAL it is not able to operate safely cannot be suggested to be same as suspending license of an airline BEFORE INVESTIGATIONS reveal anything of substance.

What if crashes occur before you conclude the investigation? FG made the right decision, safety first before something else.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by nateevs(m): 11:03pm On Jun 05, 2012
Gbawe:

Not at all. It is a safe-guard measure any responsible Government is within its power to utilise if there is even a hint an airline is breaching very strict safety guidelines. Airlines have had their licenses suspended even when a crash has not occurred. What are we then talking about here when a crash has indeed occurred ,taking over 150 lives, with employees of Dana Airline , who will now undoubtedly have supplied more than is put in the public domain, directly talking of negligence that put profit-making above the preservation of human life? I may not be a fan of this Government but they do nothing wrong here and have indeed acted responsibly given that this one incidence of alleged misconduct may not be an isolated one. Other planes run by Dana Airline may indeed be similarly faulty !!!!

My guy, investigate and you will find that there is enough information out there to show that this particular Airplane was one with a recent troubled history that showed it should likely not have been in the air. How many more of these are Dana Airline operating and how does a responsible Government establish this without grounding an airline now very badly tainted with serious allegations over safety and maintenance? Should the FG gamble with another disaster just to satisfy sentiments or, logically, err on the side of the paramount need to protect lives at all time and as much as possible?

I do not doubt that there have been series of complaints against the airline.
The FG however has to be the regulatory body that it is and act judiciously.

If there is a hint that their airplanes are in breach of safety, ground the airlplanes.
Suspending the license of airline however, can only occur after[b] "there is proof beyond reasonable doubt"[/b] that the airline has indeed erred on safety.

It's nice to see the FG take action however we must all be wary of "what kind of action" the FG is taking. The FG must be what it is, the FG. It must not conduct itself based on hearsay. It must hear but act accordingly. The investigations must endeavour to be swift and thorough, so that all is revealed in time. However, due process is the hallmark of any sane society. Trust me.

Please be reminded that I do not condone any mischief (if any) by Dana Airlines, I do not have any connection to them whatsoever. I hope that the souls of those killed in the crash find a perfect resting place.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Reference(m): 11:09pm On Jun 05, 2012
Gbawe:

Thank you. It is not witch hunting DANA. It is protecting the public and restoring confidence in the industry DANA has just shaken. Most of the revelations of misdeeds have come from DANA staff and their associates, so.

Moreover the ball is in their court. If they can respond quickly and professionally to investigators and have their fleet checked out, they can be flying in no time with the full confidence of the public in tow.

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jun 05, 2012
nateevs:

I do not doubt that there have been series of complaints against the airline.
The FG however has to be the regulatory body that it is and act judiciously.

If there is a hint that their airplanes are in breach of safety, ground the airlplanes.
Suspending the license of airline[/b] however, can only occur after[b] "there is proof beyond reasonable doubt" that the airline has indeed erred on safety.

It's nice to see the FG take action however we must all be wary of "what kind of action" the FG is taking. The FG must be what it is, the FG. It must not conduct itself based on hearsay. It must hear but act accordingly. The investigations must endeavour to be swift and thorough, so that all is revealed in time. However, due process is the hallmark of any sane society. Trust me.

Please be reminded that I do not condone any mischief (if any) by Dana Airlines, I do not have any connection to them whatsoever. I hope that the souls of those killed in the crash find a perfect resting place.

How do you ground the planes if not by suspending the licence? After investigation, arguments can now be made for either restoration or outright revocation of the licence.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by pplsroundtable: 11:14pm On Jun 05, 2012
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by nateevs(m): 11:20pm On Jun 05, 2012
bayooooooo:

How do you ground the planes if not by suspending the licence? After investigation, arguments can now be made for either restoration or outright revocation of the licence.

Ofcourse you can. Planes are not like cars. They need clearance to fly every single time. This clearance is obtained from airport management. If the National Airport Authority receives a memo to not allow Dana air-planes fly, they don't. However, Dana can still conduct business by flying their loyal customers (if any) on other flights. Or hire a certified safe plane to transport it's customers. With the suspension of their license, they can't do either.

I am pleading on the side caution. You know, just in case Dana has fault with other planes but not the one that crashed.
It could have been anything. Pilot error, Cabin abduction, attempted terrorist attack, or even the rumoured 2hr airport shutdown. Yes there could have been simultaneous negligence of safety procedures but what you are all doing now is concluding that the plane crash is a result of negligence of safety procedures.

Once again, I am not arguing for Dana. I don't know them.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jun 05, 2012
nateevs:

Ofcourse you can. Planes are not like cars. They need clearance to fly every single time. This clearance is obtained from airport management. If the National Airport Authority receives a memo to not allow Dana air-planes fly, they don't. However, Dana can still conduct business by flying their loyal customers (if any) on other flights. Or hire a certified safe plane to transport it's customers. With the suspension of their license, they can't do either.

I am pleading on the side caution. You know, just in case Dana has fault with other planes but not the one that crashed.
It could have been anything. Pilot error, Cabin abduction, attempted terrorist attack, or even the rumoured 2hr airport shutdown. Yes there could have been simultaneous negligence of safety procedures but what you are all doing now is concluding that the plane crash is a result of negligence of safety procedures.

Once again, I am not arguing for Dana. I don't know them.

No Dana is not guilty until proven otherwise. Suspension of licence does not imply culpability. There have been accusations even from an unexpected quarters-the associates of the Airline in question. There is no option left, for a responsible government, other than to suspend licence of such company and call for thorough investigations.

Your write up rules out man power as a potential source of incompetence responsible for the crash. If Dana partners with a certified faultless Airline and we still have crash, what do you suggest we investigate? We need to investigate not just the air worthiness of their fleet but also the competence of personnel. Until that is certified ok, the licence is justifiably suspended.

Technically, the suspension even favors Dana.

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by dasparrow: 11:36pm On Jun 05, 2012
@Post

I support the Nigerian government in this. I am glad DANA's operating license has been suspended for now. I pray that even if they should get their license back, that people stop patronizing them. My opinion.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by iyke648(m): 11:39pm On Jun 05, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Show me proof of the claim you made above please! Government has to FIRST make sure that it is not WRONG in its assumption BEFORE it can go this far.

Planes crash around the world too. Nigeria no be the first. If Governments rushed to suspend licenses like this, how many airlines do you think will be in business?
. And u tink if dey sue govt dey wil win? Hmmn.E b lyk sey u get uncle wey dey work 4 dat airline? tongue cheesy grin
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Kobojunkie: 11:43pm On Jun 05, 2012
iyke648: . And u tink if dey sue govt dey wil win? Hmmn.E b lyk sey u get uncle wey dey work 4 dat airline? tongue cheesy grin

It does not matter who you think should win, what you should be concerned with is what this action means.

Suspending the operating license of an airline, or any company, BEFORE INVESTIGATIONS have been carried out is something all Nigerians should stand against, NO MATTER who owns the company or what country the owner comes from. You do realize that this is going to impact the Nigerian economy in some way as well?

Dana definitely can and should sue. These investigations could take months, or even years. If the Government finds Dana Airline not Culpable, would the Government then pay the company months/years of earnings lost, as a result of this suspension?

If Nigerians are unwilling to get there government to act right, maybe the company, by suing the government, can get it to apply common sense solutions, instead of the usual ban, ban,ban approach to dealing with issues.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Nobody: 11:54pm On Jun 05, 2012
Kobojunkie:

It does not matter who you think should win, what you should be concerned with is what this action means.

Suspending the operating license of an airline, or any company, BEFORE INVESTIGATIONS have been carried out is something all Nigerians should stand against, NO MATTER who owns the company or what country the owner comes from. You do realize that this is going to impact the Nigerian economy in some way as well?

Dana definitely can and should sue. If Nigerians are unwilling to get there government to act right, maybe the company, by suing the government, can get it to apply common sense solutions, instead of the usual ban, ban,ban approach to dealing with issues.

It's not in the business or economic interest of the company to sue.

One, that will prolong the investigation and shut the door against Dana for a very long time because, until the case is adjudicated, Dana can not operate.

Two, even if court orders restoration of licence, that does not solve the safety issue that's central to the suspension in the first place.

Three, customers will avoid an operator that is not willing to prove beyond reasonable doubt that it complies with safety measures but would instead cling to technicalities of law to continue to operate. Without customer confidence, either in medium or long term, natural revocation of licence will still happen.

But if Dana cooperates with Government and after investigations licence is restored, such can be displayed everywhere to convince customers that "all" is ok. That they have even been thoroughly investigated is enough to gain confidence of customers, at least one is sure that Dana's fleet has been inspected for compliance with safety measures.

1 Like

Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Kobojunkie: 12:43am On Jun 06, 2012
iyke648: . And u tink if dey sue govt dey wil win? Hmmn.E b lyk sey u get uncle wey dey work 4 dat airline? tongue cheesy grin

Dana definitely can and should sue. These investigations could take months, or even years. If the Government finds Dana Airline not Culpable, would the Government then pay the company months/years of earnings lost, as a result of this suspension?

If Nigerians are unwilling to get there government to act right, maybe the company, by suing the government, can get it to apply common sense solutions, instead of the usual ban, ban,ban approach to dealing with issues.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by HighChief4(m): 1:10am On Jun 06, 2012
Kobojunkie:

KoBo why have you not changed? You still engage in this your baseless arguements and asking rhethoric questions. The FG reserve every right to suspend their license at any given time(most times indicated on the license). Why didnt you take your time to investigate more about DANA before spewing your thrash as usual. It is against the law to fly any aircraft over 20years old in Nigeria airspace and all DANA's planes are way above 20years, pray tell, is that not enough to suspense their licence, not to talk of the ill fated flight that crashed out of their negligence. I doubt you would be saying the same thing if you had lost a loved one on that flight.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Kobojunkie: 1:23am On Jun 06, 2012
High_Chief:

KoBo why have you not changed? You still engage in this your baseless arguements and asking rhethoric questions. The FG reserve every right to suspend their license at any given time(most times indicated on the license). Why didnt you take your time to investigate more about DANA before spewing your thrash as usual. It is against the law to fly any aircraft over 20years old in Nigeria airspace and all DANA's planes are way above 20years, pray tell, is that not enough to suspense their licence, not to talk of the ill fated flight that crashed out of their negligence. I doubt you would be saying the same thing if you had lost a loved one on that flight.

Gosh! The so detest the senseless claims people keep making when this only happened on sunday and, no investigation has actually been carried out, even by their government in this.

Stop regurgitating the rumors you have heard. You cannot turn them into facts simply by repeating those stories.

And how do you know no one from my family died in that plane crash?
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Nobody: 1:23am On Jun 06, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Let me get you right. Are you of the opinion that the same Airline should be allowed to operate in face of allegations of non compliance with safety measures even from the staff of Dana?

Looking at recent history where air crash was competing with road crash in 2005, prompt action in my view, is needed, to prevent a repeat of what just happened. A good response is to halt operations of affected airline until investigations are concluded and re-certification is done, if recommended. No other entity other than the company would bear the financial loss from such investigation. No smoke without fire. Arik is still flying, Aero is still flying and others. If government decides to stop them without cause, then Government had better prepared to pay financial compensation commensurate with anticipated loss. But in this case, Dana would justifiably bear the loss.

The duration of the investigation need not be months if Dana has appropriate documentation to prove compliance with safety measures. In fact, government is also aware that many will ultimately lose their jobs if such investigation is not completed on time. So Government will (or should) consider interest of all. But emphasis here is on safety which is a serious issue and life can not be bought no matter the amount. I am sure (if the crashed plane was insured) compensations will be paid to families of victims but unfortunately none of the victims will spend, not even a kobo, from such a compensation. Life is paramount, life is sacrosanct and no business decision should come before preservation of life. The purpose of Government is to pursue the welfare of her citizens and no welfare, in my honest view, is superior to preservation of the lives of citizen. For when there is life, a triumph of hope can bring back what's lost. Without life, hope does not exit.
Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by Kobojunkie: 1:24am On Jun 06, 2012
jeezzz.. . .

Re: FG Suspends DANA Airline's License. by DECOtech(m): 1:37am On Jun 06, 2012
Funkymallam:

And what do u expect him to do? Kill dem or chase dem with machete? Smh
YES! ...kill them all.
They shld be sentenced to death by deliberately flying a faulty aircraft with passengers in it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagos Residents Lament Absence Of Infrastructure (Fashola's Projects Sinks) / Flood Of Northerners In Imo State Villages / El-rufai: North To Benefit Most From Restructuring

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.