Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,837 members, 7,872,810 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 10:38 PM

Eyewitness: We Refused To Let Arik Fly With One Engine This Morning – Singer Jah - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Eyewitness: We Refused To Let Arik Fly With One Engine This Morning – Singer Jah (1210 Views)

So There Are Nigerians That Fly From Lagos To London Then To Abuja Than Direct? / Main Reasons Many Are Refused Visas / How To Fly With A Small Dog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eyewitness: We Refused To Let Arik Fly With One Engine This Morning – Singer Jah by pheesayor(m): 4:20pm On Jun 10, 2012
Stranger than fiction. But this news went viral via BlackBerries this morning:

This jst happened to Jahdiel, Nigerian Gospel artiste, few minutes ago..a wk after Dana Crash..wetin dey do naija airlines nah?

Imagine. I boarded an arik plane today for a program in ph, the plane was on for a while and we were all sweating profusely cos the ac was not on. I summoned a staff who attends my church asked him why..he said the second engine wasn’t working and dat the ac doesn’t work unless we take off. On hearing this we all disembarked the plane. Can u imagine they were trying to use a generator to start the engine. If arik planes can be faulty then no plane is safe to fly in nigeria.

Attempts to speak with the singer have not been successful as her phone is off, but her friend and fellow artiste, Nikki Laoye, confirmed the event. Repeated calls to the Arik Air spokesperson have not yet been returned.

We will continue to update you.

UPDATE: We have contacted the singer via and she sent us this message:

After my refusal of flying with the flight today with arik air to ph flight no W3 519 with one engine, a new plane was provided for us..we could even smell the “newness” pardon my english..we were all calm and at ease. My fellow nigerians,the word “manage” is not our heritage. We deserve the best we will always get when we speak out with one voice. One people,great nation.

Source: Ynaija
Re: Eyewitness: We Refused To Let Arik Fly With One Engine This Morning – Singer Jah by Vicjustice: 11:13am On Jun 11, 2012
pheesayor: Stranger than fiction. But this news went viral via BlackBerries this morning:

This jst happened to Jahdiel, Nigerian Gospel artiste, few minutes ago..a wk after Dana Crash..wetin dey do naija airlines nah?

Imagine. I boarded an arik plane today for a program in ph, the plane was on for a while and we were all sweating profusely cos the ac was not on. I summoned a staff who attends my church asked him why..he said the second engine wasn’t working and dat the ac doesn’t work unless we take off. On hearing this we all disembarked the plane. Can u imagine they were trying to use a generator to start the engine. If arik planes can be faulty then no plane is safe to fly in nigeria.

Attempts to speak with the singer have not been successful as her phone is off, but her friend and fellow artiste, Nikki Laoye, confirmed the event. Repeatedy calls to the Arik Air spokesperson have not yet been returned.

We will continue to update you.

UPDATE: We have contacted the singer via and she sent us this message:

After my refusal of flying with the flight today with arik air to ph flight no W3 519 with one engine, a new plane was provided for us..we could even smell the “newness” pardon my english..we were all calm and at ease. My fellow nigerians,the word “manage” is not our heritage. We deserve the best we will always get when we speak out with one voice. One people,great nation.

Source: Ynaija
ABSOLUTE NONSENSE!
The whole thing is being exaggerated
I have many valid reasons to frown upon this post.
1) The average age of Arik planes is 3.5 years old, therefore, it is extremely unlikely that an engine of such age would develop a fault except if it encounters an interference of foreign objects during a flight.
2) Though standard airplance are equipped with multiple engines, but only one of them powers the generator, so, perhaps the flight attendant said "the engine that powers the AC is not running at the moment".
3) It is a gross misconduct for a flight attendant to announce an operational fault of a plane to passengers, only the Pilots have the power and responsibility to do so
4) Airplane needs full engine power to reach its take-off speed and attain lift, and then ascend to cruising altitude, so, it is practically difficult to achieve this with half the power of its engines capacity
5) No pilot would agree to fly a plane with one engine: they all know that it would take longer time to reach V1 (and take-off speed), the plane might even over-run the Runway and yet, not get to V1; and if however it happens to make the take-off, it might not have enough lift to stay airborne and climb to cruising altitude: there is a high chance that the plane will stall and fall down from the sky
6) There is no source to verify this claim
Though, there are several other flight operational reasons to frown upon your claim but this should be enough
Re: Eyewitness: We Refused To Let Arik Fly With One Engine This Morning – Singer Jah by abiamahart: 11:32am On Jun 11, 2012
@vic justice - seconded
glad the aircraft was changed for the poster and fellow passengers before we hear sad news again

kai dem disembark sharp-sharp. i hope the exit door contain una and no person forget em carry-on luggage. 9ja we hail thee. dem won act part 2 grin@
Re: Eyewitness: We Refused To Let Arik Fly With One Engine This Morning – Singer Jah by SirP1: 11:59am On Jun 11, 2012
@vicjustice . V1 isnt take off speed, it's the speed at which a pilot cant safely abort take off. The take off speed is V.Rotate (V.R). Just so you know smiley
Re: Eyewitness: We Refused To Let Arik Fly With One Engine This Morning – Singer Jah by Vicjustice: 2:57pm On Jun 11, 2012
Sir P!:
@vicjustice . V1 isnt take off speed, it's the speed at which a pilot cant safely abort take off. The take off speed is V.Rotate (V.R). Just so you know smiley
That's correct, so, if a plane with one engine is not able to reach V1,how can it reach VR?
You seem to have some knowledge about flying, so do you find the report credible?
Re: Eyewitness: We Refused To Let Arik Fly With One Engine This Morning – Singer Jah by joebol: 3:13pm On Jun 11, 2012
Vicjustice:
ABSOLUTE NONSENSE!
The whole thing is being exaggerated
I have many valid reasons to frown upon this post.
1) The average age of Arik planes is 3.5 years old, therefore, it is extremely unlikely that an engine of such age would develop a fault except if it encounters an interference of foreign objects during a flight.
2) Though standard airplance are equipped with multiple engines, but only one of them powers the generator, so, perhaps the flight attendant said "the engine that powers the AC is not running at the moment".
3) It is a gross misconduct for a flight attendant to announce an operational fault of a plane to passengers, only the Pilots have the power and responsibility to do so
4) Airplane needs full engine power to reach its take-off speed and attain lift, and then ascend to cruising altitude, so, it is practically difficult to achieve this with half the power of its engines capacity
5) No pilot would agree to fly a plane with one engine: they all know that it would take longer time to reach V1 (and take-off speed), the plane might even over-run the Runway and yet, not get to V1; and if however it happens to make the take-off, it might not have enough lift to stay airborne and climb to cruising altitude: there is a high chance that the plane will stall and fall down from the sky
6) There is no source to verify this claim
Though, there are several other flight operational reasons to frown upon your claim but this should be enough

IF THERE WERE REALLY NO ISSUE WITH THE PLANE, WHY DID ARIK MANAGEMENT CHANGED THE PLANE? SECONDLY, WHY THE CONTINUED SILENCE OF ARIK AIR OVER THIS SENSITIVE ISSUE?
Re: Eyewitness: We Refused To Let Arik Fly With One Engine This Morning – Singer Jah by Vicjustice: 3:25pm On Jun 11, 2012
joebol:

IF THERE WERE REALLY NO ISSUE WITH THE PLANE, WHY DID ARIK MANAGEMENT CHANGED THE PLANE? SECONDLY, WHY THE CONTINUED SILENCE OF ARIK AIR OVER THIS SENSITIVE ISSUE?
You don't seem to understand the point. First of all, there is no evidence of the claim about Arik Plane with faulty engine; so, I think it was all a made-up story: it is an exaggeration that a crew intended to fly a plane with one dead engine
Re: Eyewitness: We Refused To Let Arik Fly With One Engine This Morning – Singer Jah by SirP1: 6:37pm On Jun 11, 2012
@vicjustice Well to be honest the story sounds a bit exaggerated. I don't understand the ''using a generator to start the engine'' bit.

(1) (Reply)

A Referendum Breaking Scotland From The Rest Of UK To Hold In 2014 / Mr.love Travel Lies / Review Of Online Travel Agencies In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.