Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,358 members, 7,888,139 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 08:16 PM

Boko Haram Members Are Misguided, Says Abdulsalami - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram Members Are Misguided, Says Abdulsalami (656 Views)

Bindow Jibrilla Visits IBB & Abdulsalami Abubakar (Photos) / Saraki’s Election Is Unacceptable, Says Abdulsalami Panel / IBB, Abdulsalami Reconcile Gov. Aliyu Of Niger State With Deputy Gov. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Boko Haram Members Are Misguided, Says Abdulsalami by free2ryhme: 6:56am On Jun 14, 2012
[img]http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/thumbnail.php?file=abdulsalami_abubakar_295834122.jpg&size=article_medium[/img]

A former Head of State, General Abdulsalami Abubakar, yesterday said members of the Boko Haram sect are misguided elements whose insurgence is not insurmountable.

Addressing reporters after a special prayer on his 70th birthday at his Hill Top home in Minna, the Niger State capital, the former military leader said he has no regrets in his 70 years on earth.

He noted that poverty is not a tool for the socio-political crises the country is experiencing.

Urging Nigerians not to be deterred by the challenges confronting the nation, the former Head of State said Nigerians should not fold their arms and allow things to worsen.

He said Nigerians must search for solutions to the current challenges.

Gen. Abubakar said: "The whole world is full of problems and challenges. It is happening all over the world and not only in Nigeria. I know that here we will all say we have Boko Haram, we have kidnappers and what have you. Yes, we do have them, but we should not fold our arms and throw our hands into the air and let things worsen.

"We should keep trying and pray that those misguided elements will give peace a chance. Nigeria is not the only country ridden with poverty and economic problems. I believe it (poverty) is not a tool for what is happening in the country."

On Nigeria's democratic process, the former Head of State noted that in the past 13 years, the nation has been passing through a learning process.

But he expressed satisfaction that things are on course.

Gen. Abubakar advised politicians to play the game as a give-and-take process.

He said politicians need to imbibe the ideals of the late Alhaji Waziri Ibrahim, the exponent of "politics without bitterness" because they cannot win all the time.

He said: "People should give whoever is elected the necessary support so that the nation can move forward."

On the 2015 elections, the septuagenarian retired general urged politicians not to overheat the polity to get power.

Reminiscing on his life, Gen. Abubakar said: "I have no regrets in the past 70 years. I thank God. By His grace, He has lifted me to the highest level somebody can attain, and I thank God for this.

"I am 70 years old today; I am married and have children and grand-children. They organised this prayer. I am very proud of my family. I thank all of them. Sincerely, I have no regrets."

The Chief Imam of the Federal University of Technology (FUT), Minna, Alhaji Bashiru Mohammed, led the prayer.

At the event were: Alahji Umaru Ndanusa, a former National President of the National Association of Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture (NACCIMA); Senator Zaynab Kure and the wife of the governor, Hajiya Jummai Aliyu.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/50177-boko-haram-members-are-misguided-says-abdulsalami.html
Re: Boko Haram Members Are Misguided, Says Abdulsalami by inspirenet: 12:05pm On Jun 14, 2012
Interesting

(1) (Reply)

Shoot At Sight Order As Violence Hits Kaduna / The President Cannot Be Summoned Like A School Boy! / Attorney General Files Petition To Stop Prosecution Of Fuel Subsidy Thieves

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.