Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,619 members, 7,941,383 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 05:13 AM

Contemporary Art: Brilliance Or Sophistry? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Contemporary Art: Brilliance Or Sophistry? (809 Views)

The Witch Hunters: To Hunt A Level Four - A Contemporary Fantasy / Do Contemporary African Writers Actually Sell Books? / Camouflage: The Best Of Contemporary Writing From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Contemporary Art: Brilliance Or Sophistry? by doyin13(m): 6:04pm On Nov 25, 2007
A big contemporary artist recently held an exhibition in NY.
His work was just a pile of bric-a-brac and other items arranged in
a big space. At least that was the way I saw it.

But when the artist was interviewed, he gave some claptrap about
the interaction which the viewer will have the items, how we get a new sense of
perspective on these items that we take for granted everyday subsumed under the
modern obsession with consumption.

All that from a particularly bad piece of interior design!!!!!!!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked

This self indulgence originated from America, but Britain after initial skepticism
(there was a great deal of disbelief when an American arranged a couple of listless
bricks at the Tate in the 1970's) has elevated itself to the Contemporary art capital of
the world.

The likes of Damien Hirst and Tracy Emin have made ridiculous amounts of money from this con.
Hirst preseved a shark in a fish tank filled with Formaldehyde and titled the 'piece' ''The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living''!!!!!!!!!!! That sold for under five million, he then proceeded to sell a medicine cabinet(Lullaby Springs) for 9 million. Oh but wait he outdid himself when an investment group bought his last work for 50 million pounds shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Tracy Emin's price tag is a lot more modest but no less ridiculous. Her signature work was an unmade bed!!!!!!! It sold for half a million pounds.

Of course value is subjective and it shows capitalism and its values, seemingly perverse are truly alive. Hence I do not begrudge this feast of the contented.

What I do not appreciate is when these niche group of artists, wealthy buyers, and self indulgent observers take us for fools angry angry angry
for not participating in this carnival of pomposity. I cannot force myself to be philosophical about an unmade bed or a shark preserved.
Frankly I think there is more artistic creativity in Paris Hiltons sex video than any of these works. But of course, the video has no slick talking
producer to enlighten us of its artistic merits. (for that role I merrily apply) grin grin

Every time I come across these con artists, I am often reminded of this tale from the Oxford Book(Readers in Naija parlance)
about the wise man who goes to the kings court with his arms extended in front of him, apparently holding up a coat which only the wise would be
able to see. The King and many others in order to not appear foolish, heartily agreed with him, even going as far as putting on the imaginary coat aided
by the 'wise man'. . .

Needless to say there was a bag of gold involved somewhere in the tale. . .

(1) (Reply)

It Is Official Modenine Disses Ruggedman 2008. Can Ruggedman Reply Soon? / Learn How To Write Salesletters / The Broken Road - The Story Of A Man's Life At Its End

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.