Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,791 members, 7,889,578 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 03:41 PM

The First Law Of Thermodynamics. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The First Law Of Thermodynamics. (2254 Views)

Scientific Concept Of Heat (thermodynamics) For Engineering Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The First Law Of Thermodynamics. by Mynd44: 2:45pm On Jun 17, 2012
Is there anyone out there who also thinks this law is a scam? If we look at it, it states that new heat supplied into a system is equal to net work done. It is true to some extent but the second law which introduces Internal energy U made nonsense of it.
My question is thus why do we still call it a law when the second law has nullified it? Sound pointless to me.
How about you?

1 Like

Re: The First Law Of Thermodynamics. by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jun 19, 2012
There is no fraud in it. . .
I'll give you here an example you can follow and comprehend.

Say you have 100joules free energy and you apply all of it to an isolated system. . .
The 2nd law immediately comes into play first that is. . .out of the 100joules applied there will be some loss (inevitably). . .say 20joules.

Now what the 1st law says is after that loss, the 80joules that gets into the system will be equal to the amount of work done by or raise in the temperature of the system.

So in essence, if you apply energy to a system, there will be some loss (2nd law) . . .
But whatever gets into the system will never be lost. It will either do work or raise temperature or both (1st law)

I hope its crystal-clear now.

1 Like

Re: The First Law Of Thermodynamics. by ijebabe: 7:26pm On Jun 19, 2012
Wow! I'm so clueless
Re: The First Law Of Thermodynamics. by flash11(m): 7:38pm On Jun 19, 2012
Mynd_44: Is there anyone out there who also thinks this law is a scam? If we look at it, it states that new heat supplied into a system is equal to net work done. It is true to some extent but the second law which introduces Internal energy U made nonsense of it.
My question is thus why do we still call it a law when the second law has nullified it? Sound pointless to me.
How about you?
seriously did you ever think you were smarter than the scientists that put that law together and those still working with it??
Re: The First Law Of Thermodynamics. by flash11(m): 7:39pm On Jun 19, 2012
ijebabe: Wow! I'm so clueless
i would be surprised otherwards tongue
Re: The First Law Of Thermodynamics. by ijebabe: 7:43pm On Jun 19, 2012
flash11:
i would be surprised otherwards tongue
I'm not even remotely offended grin
Re: The First Law Of Thermodynamics. by flash11(m): 7:46pm On Jun 19, 2012
ijebabe:
I'm not even remotely offended grin
good for you then
Re: The First Law Of Thermodynamics. by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jun 19, 2012
flash11:
seriously did you ever think you were smarter than the scientists that put that law together and those still working with it??

You never can tell smiley
Re: The First Law Of Thermodynamics. by Mynd44: 7:41am On Jun 20, 2012
flash11:
Excuse me but is this supposed to insult me or get me offended? What a load of poo
Besides I did not say it was wrong, what I said was that it was pointless having two when they both point to the same thing
Re: The First Law Of Thermodynamics. by Mynd44: 7:44am On Jun 20, 2012
adolfe bad: There is no fraud in it. . .
I'll give you here an example you can follow and comprehend.

Say you have 100joules free energy and you apply all of it to an isolated system. . .
The 2nd law immediately comes into play first that is. . .out of the 100joules applied there will be some loss (inevitably). . .say 20joules.

Now what the 1st law says is after that loss, the 80joules that gets into the system will be equal to the amount of work done by or raise in the temperature of the system.

So in essence, if you apply energy to a system, there will be some loss (2nd law) . . .
But whatever gets into the system will never be lost. It will either do work or raise temperature or both (1st law)

I hope its crystal-clear now.
You mistake my point dude.
The first law came before the second law right? So, I point in essence is that there is only one law which is the combination of the two. The second law just came in after it was realised that the has to be losses due to the factor U so why did they not just dice up the first and chuck the second law into it leaving everyone with on significant law instead of two
Re: The First Law Of Thermodynamics. by Mynd44: 7:45am On Jun 20, 2012
ijebabe: Wow! I'm so clueless
It is not your field nah so no one blames you
Re: The First Law Of Thermodynamics. by Nobody: 9:00am On Jun 20, 2012
Mynd_44:
You mistake my point dude.
The first law came before the second law right? So, I point in essence is that there is only one law which is the combination of the two. The second law just came in after it was realised that the has to be losses due to the factor U so why did they not just dice up the first and chuck the second law into it leaving everyone with on significant law instead of two

Trying to chuck the 2nd law into the 1st is like mixing kerosene with water.
They can never mix because they are 2 extremely separate entities even though they are both liquids.

The 1st and 2nd laws are different entities even though they both deal with energy. . .

While the 1st law is concerned ONLY with what happens 'inside' a system, the 2nd is concerned with the reaction of the system with the environment.
What those 2 laws apply to are hugely different.

1 Like

Re: The First Law Of Thermodynamics. by Nobody: 9:06am On Jun 20, 2012
For example if you have a closed system where heat is neither lost nor gained such as the whole universe. . .where heat generated within itself by the decomposition of matter is used to do a vast amount of work. . .
Now tell me does the 2nd law apply to such a system?
Re: The First Law Of Thermodynamics. by rafou001(m): 12:21pm On Jun 20, 2012
to the post above me yes you can actualy drawconclusions from the second law in the case of a close system.
Re: The First Law Of Thermodynamics. by Mynd44: 6:31pm On Jun 20, 2012
adolfe bad: For example if you have a closed system where heat is neither lost nor gained such as the whole universe. . .where heat generated within itself by the decomposition of matter is used to do a vast amount of work. . .
Now tell me does the 2nd law apply to such a system?
The Universe? Please we don't know enough about it to use that as an example. We can use a closed system to explain it so I get your point like the poster above me said but assuming heat lost to the boundary like the containers of a cylinder to be negligible
Re: The First Law Of Thermodynamics. by queensmith: 7:44pm On Jun 21, 2012
flash11:

The scientists you talk about weren't soo smart in their own days. It took thinking in the same mindset as the op to make the discoveries we all study now. You learn these things when you do philosophy, we should broaden our minds to foster creativity. Left to conformist thinking we will probably all still believe the earth is flat.

Now to this lot- boiii my knowledge on this is rusty, but i think this used to confuse me too. the entropy nonsense. Let me google this ish.

I see what you mean, the literal definition of the first law doesn't take efficiency into account. Then again it depends on how you read it, it can still apply. The first law says that the energy of a closed system is increased by work done on it by an external system, the energy dissipated won't necessarily have effect on that of the closed system will it?

In simple terms (cos thats how i like it) the first law is telling you energy is conserved, the second law is telling you some of it is usable the rest of it isnt.
The second law introduced entropy, which is (as i remember it) a form of unusable energy, it doesn't affect the total energy- it just outlines efficiency between systems when doing work.

2 Likes

Re: The First Law Of Thermodynamics. by Nobody: 1:13am On Jun 28, 2012
I like warm settings and climates. I think it should be a law that summer time lasts a year too! cheesy

I get frost bites easily.. smiley
Re: The First Law Of Thermodynamics. by Mynd44: 1:19am On Jun 28, 2012
MsDarkSkin: I like warm settings and climates. I think it should be a law that summer time lasts a year too! cheesy

Get off this thread ma'am. You are causing loss of energy.
Re: The First Law Of Thermodynamics. by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jun 30, 2012
Mynd_44:
Get off this thread ma'am. You are causing loss of energy.

angry
Re: The First Law Of Thermodynamics. by Nobody: 9:50am On Jul 04, 2012
MsDarkSkin: I like warm settings and climates. I think it should be a law that summer time lasts a year too! cheesy

Lolz
Dont worry. . .you can have your law.
Its always SUMMER in your guy's ARMS. wink smiley

Loooooooooooongest tym sugar!!
Re: The First Law Of Thermodynamics. by Mynd44: 11:40am On Jul 04, 2012
adolfe bad:

Lolz
Dont worry. . .you can have your law.
Its always SUMMER in your guy's ARMS. wink smiley

Loooooooooooongest tym sugar!!
The both of you should get a room
Re: The First Law Of Thermodynamics. by Nobody: 11:21pm On Sep 06, 2014
Mynd44. You still think it is a fraud? cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Revealed: Newly Found Fuel! Prepare For End Of Crude Oil, Price To Fall / Specifications Of Itel 1502.. Go Get Yours Now!!! / Weirdest Logo Ever With Top Hidden Meaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.