Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,449 members, 7,881,590 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 01:04 AM

What Is The Effect Of Using Wood For Decking Instead Of Concrete - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Is The Effect Of Using Wood For Decking Instead Of Concrete (1356 Views)

Estimate For Decking / Decking A Block Of Flats In Port Harcourt. / What Is The Estimated Cost For Decking Of L58ft X W38ft Building In Sango-ota (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Effect Of Using Wood For Decking Instead Of Concrete by oolumide: 11:18pm On Jun 17, 2012
I am planning to build a house but has cash constraints. So my architect advised that i used wood as decking as agaist concrete. Please is it cheaper and durable.
Re: What Is The Effect Of Using Wood For Decking Instead Of Concrete by diordaves(m): 7:11am On Jun 18, 2012
^^^^
Where is the architect based? Home or abroad? I have this feeling the architect might be based abroad. If based abroad and has no fore-experience and residence (in Nigeria) experience in Nigeria you want to be cautious. If the architect is based in Nigeria ask him to spell out in details how this can be done. In details mean sourcing of timber. Size of timber. Sawing/cutting of timber to size Installation method: ie wood to concrete bond. And above all the skilled personnel/craftsmanship need to safely install the decking. You should note that in Nigeria building craftsmanship is dying and we now import artisan for simple stuff like tilling and using metals as doors just because carpentry is dying. They are all Okada drivers now. I think wood decking in Nigeria will be more expensive than concrete.[quote author=oolumide]I am planning to build a house but has cash constraints. So my architect advised that i used wood as decking as agaist concrete. Please is it cheaper and durable.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Effect Of Using Wood For Decking Instead Of Concrete by oolumide: 7:44pm On Jun 18, 2012
Thanks he lives in Nigeria. Though when i was young my grand uncles house was made with wood decking. Moreover it has always been my dream to build a wood house.
Re: What Is The Effect Of Using Wood For Decking Instead Of Concrete by chioma134: 11:56pm On Jun 18, 2012
@poster,I asked this same question a few days ago in another thread. The response by spider880 was that it may end up being more expensive. Pls,if ur architect can get it done at a cheaper rate than concrete,let me know,and how much it costs,where to source the wood,and the professionals that can do it. Thanks.
Re: What Is The Effect Of Using Wood For Decking Instead Of Concrete by brabus(m): 4:27am On Jun 19, 2012
diordaves: ^^^^
Where is the architect based? Home or abroad? I have this feeling the architect might be based abroad. If based abroad and has no fore-experience and residence (in Nigeria) experience in Nigeria you want to be cautious. If the architect is based in Nigeria ask him to spell out in details how this can be done. In details mean sourcing of timber. Size of timber. Sawing/cutting of timber to size Installation method: ie wood to concrete bond. And above all the skilled personnel/craftsmanship need to safely install the decking. You should note that in Nigeria building craftsmanship is dying and we now import artisan for simple stuff like tilling and using metals as doors just because carpentry is dying. They are all Okada drivers now. I think wood decking in Nigeria will be more expensive than concrete.

^^^ Well said Bro!
Re: What Is The Effect Of Using Wood For Decking Instead Of Concrete by oolumide: 6:28pm On Jun 26, 2012
But some decades back they were doing it in Nigeria, what has changed that will make it difficult or expensive
Re: What Is The Effect Of Using Wood For Decking Instead Of Concrete by lilah321: 9:26am On Jun 14, 2021
Did you end up getting your decking done with wood? I am trying to find someone knowledgeable about a wood deck for my project.

Thanks.
oolumide:
I am planning to build a house but has cash constraints. So my architect advised that i used wood as decking as agaist concrete. Please is it cheaper and durable.

(1) (Reply)

Personal Property Sales: 1,200m2 Land With A Bungalow For Just Seven Million / Fenced Blk Of 2 And 3 Bedrooms Bungalow 4 Sale@journalist Estate Arepo / A Room Self Contain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.