Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,399 members, 7,904,490 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 02:21 PM

Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? (9682 Views)

How To Solve China Android Tablet Pc Hanging On Android Logo When Booting / Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? / Good Sites For Downloading Free Full Version Of Fashion Designing Software (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by francis247(m): 5:39pm On Jun 20, 2012
Temistatics 007: who told you that rubbish you are saying,i own and use a tablet pc,its hdd is 400GB,its ram is 4gb and with amazing processing power.
who is saying rubbish? That thing is nothing but a glorified touchscreen phone. Can it be connected via usb for printing? Does it have a diskspace?
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by LordReed(m): 5:47pm On Jun 20, 2012
Reference:

They just kill your eyes faster than you can blink. Tablets are okay for people with short attention spans not for serious work.

Believe it all that will change.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jun 20, 2012
francis247: who is saying rubbish? That thing is nothing but a glorified touchscreen phone. Can it be connected via usb for printing? Does it have a diskspace?
why not?,although it doesn't have a disk space,but who cares?Tablet pc is the best
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by ocheejemb: 6:34pm On Jun 20, 2012
Someone raised a point that Laptops have replaced Desktops, I think this is false. AS with Tablets, Laptops were a whole new class of computer hardware with different use cases.
A high end laptop can NEVER be as powerful as a desktop released (by the same company in the same year). The numerous considerations that have to be made for space and power trade-offs will always ensure that a desktop will always be more powerful than a laptop, and this relation holds true for tablets. Yes Moores law states blah blah, but it follows that the as the number of chips you can cram into the small space of a Tablet increases, that same number will also increase when there's more space to cram them in..on a laptop or on a desktop or on a server.
I think that Tablets have found their own specific use case, users want their fancy gadget to browse today's rich websites in high resolution, to play games, and to watch and listen to movies and music. Heck they are even powerful enough to run some specialized business applications if need be. But that's because they have been designed and created to work best in these kind of use cases. Look at how much emphasis these tablet guys put on screen resolution and multimedia support.
When it comes down to core or even general purpose computing such as building applications or even web pages, rendering graphics, database management, spreadsheets, simulations, design, even simple word processing...show me the tablet that today performs admirably..or can outperform a stock Laptop or Desktop. These tablets are simply not designed for this..with thier relatively small screens and cumbersome touch screen keyboards that eat into the small display space.
Tablets are truly here to stay, and will get even more useful and more popular as time goes on. But can they ever truly replace laptops and desktops? I seriously doubt it

1 Like

Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by LordReed(m): 7:20pm On Jun 20, 2012
oche_ejemb: Someone raised a point that Laptops have replaced Desktops, I think this is false. AS with Tablets, Laptops were a whole new class of computer hardware with different use cases.
A high end laptop can NEVER be as powerful as a desktop released (by the same company in the same year). The numerous considerations that have to be made for space and power trade-offs will always ensure that a desktop will always be more powerful than a laptop, and this relation holds true for tablets. Yes Moores law states blah blah, but it follows that the as the number of chips you can cram into the small space of a Tablet increases, that same number will also increase when there's more space to cram them in..on a laptop or on a desktop or on a server.
I think that Tablets have found their own specific use case, users want their fancy gadget to browse today's rich websites in high resolution, to play games, and to watch and listen to movies and music. Heck they are even powerful enough to run some specialized business applications if need be. But that's because they have been designed and created to work best in these kind of use cases. Look at how much emphasis these tablet guys put on screen resolution and multimedia support.
When it comes down to core or even general purpose computing such as building applications or even web pages, rendering graphics, database management, spreadsheets, simulations, design, even simple word processing...show me the tablet that today performs admirably..or can outperform a stock Laptop or Desktop. These tablets are simply not designed for this..with thier relatively small screens and cumbersome touch screen keyboards that eat into the small display space.
Tablets are truly here to stay, and will get even more useful and more popular as time goes on. But can they ever truly replace laptops and desktops? I seriously doubt it

Where do you live? In an office? Most purchases of desktops are made by Corporate Organisations and for official use whether big business or home office. To say laptops have not replaced desktops is like saying mobile phones have not replaced the desktop phone and you'd be living in the last century.

As for designing websites on a tablet all it takes is the right tools. If those tools are not available for the tablets yet they soon will just as Autocad has released its tablet tools as well as Adobe so will others. Are you kidding me about word processing? Or even spreadsheeting? Gosh dude do a little research before you make comments like these because I wonder what you call the Quick Office tools.

Simulation is processor intensive and will come when processing power on the tablet grows to match its laptop cousins.

To think that tablets won't make the laptop substitution is living like an ostrich with its head in the sand.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jun 20, 2012
Tablets ARE GOING TO REPLACE LAPTOPS. It's jst so certain. What is ur definition of a laptop. That is the question u shud be asking. The reason why tablets av not being good replacement for laptops is becos they r not being made well enuff yet. Look at the ipad for example. You can do majority of what u want to do on a laptop except that it doesn't support most main stream office and work applications like autocad, microsoft office, photoshop, 3dmax, fruityloops, C++ etc.... The apple ipad as of nw as a keyboard dock that can type fast enuff so u cn do some level of office work on it. It also doesn't av a usb drive. Also gaming wise I can tell u that ipads SUCK!!!!! But all this is abt to change with a new microsoft tablet that will be launched soon. Windows Surface Pro. That tablet can to every damn thing ur laptop can do. It runs Windows 8. It comes with a keyboard cover that is detachable. It features a touchscreen. It has USB. You can run all ur autocad, solidworks, even programming languages and regular microsoft office on it as it runs normal windows application. You can plug a mouse. The detachable 4mm thick keyboard has a touchpad. You can play PES or FIFA 12 on it and plug in XBOX pads thru the USB and printers, ur camera etc. It has i5core intel processor. So what else do u do with ur laptop again that it isn't capable of doing. Absolutely nothing. But wait a minute....haven't I jst describe it has a laptop? So the question to be asked is what is a laptop and what is a tablet. I think this product from microsoft is both.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jun 20, 2012
And to finally round up to those that are not sure where the future is going....The main advantage laptops have over desktop is that they are portable. So many pple dropped desktops. But what is the advantage of a laptop over a tablet with a 4mm keyboard that also doubles as a screen cover and Ivy bridge i5 core processor with USB and can run all ur windows office and buisiness programs....Absolutely nuffin. The desktop will always be around. Afterall the desktop is just suppose to be a mad a.s.s C.PU with mad a.s.s processing power and graphics and RAM that doesn't av any battery and heat or noise constrictions. The desktop will just be used when mad a.s.s processing power is required. But laptops as u knw them today. That foldable design is relegating into history. And anybody that thinks otherwise like someone just said is like an. Ostrich with is head in the sand. Tablets are going to get really good within the next few years.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by AtheistD(m): 8:23pm On Jun 20, 2012
I predicted the growth of mobile computing over a decade ago. I believe that yes they and netbooks will take over laptops and desktops. The key is portability and battery life.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by LordReed(m): 8:23pm On Jun 20, 2012
@12 inches!
There are Autocad tools for tablets, there are also Adobe tools as well, the rest is just a matter of time.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by manny4life(m): 9:04pm On Jun 20, 2012
As for me o, I will speak for myself; I know I cannot work on spreadsheet file using a 9inch screen, it ain't gonna work.

1 Like

Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by IYANGBALI: 9:13pm On Jun 20, 2012
tessyade: The advantage of tablet's pc is just its size i.e. it is very portable, there is nothing special about it. Moreso a lot of other vital computer processes cannot be done with it. For me laptop is it atleast for now.
Another advantage is that it can easily be swallowed
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by lastpage: 3:31am On Jun 21, 2012
Brand_new: With the advent of Tablet PC's and various computer hardware manufacturers joining the band wagon. Microsoft being the latest of them with it's "surface" tablet computers.
Seems buying or owning a laptop isn't any longer the in thing.
I personally no longer use my laptop. It packed up and i didn't even bother to fix it. I hope to replace it with a tablet PC.
So what do you think? Is it no longer fashionable to own or use a laptop for business and personal use. What are the pros and cons of using a Tablet PC?
If your Laptop can pack-up and you dont even bother, then you my bruvda, is just an "ordinary Browser"!
As in someone who uses the Laptop to do "very basic things", the same sort of things that a Tablet is well suited for!

Take it from me, despite adequate back-up, some "serious users" will have a heart attack, if their Laptop was to 'pack-up.

Am talking about Coders, Programmers, web-designers, e.t.c.........people who use a Laptop as a tool of work, not just for browsing nairaland! grin grin

Show me a "Tablet" that has quad-core i7 processor, 2TB hard drive, 8GB RAM, L6 Cache, e.t.c .......and l will agree with you that Tablets are taking over!
Thing is, not everyone needs a Laptop
....just like not everyone needs a smart-phone, if all you do is "call and receive" like my Granny in the village!
grin grin

Lastpage!
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by lastpage: 3:40am On Jun 21, 2012
Lord_Reed:

Where do you live? In an office? Most purchases of desktops are made by Corporate Organisations and for official use whether big business or home office. To say laptops have not replaced desktops is like saying mobile phones have not replaced the desktop phone and you'd be living in the last century.

As for designing websites on a tablet all it takes is the right tools. If those tools are not available for the tablets yet they soon will just as Autocad has released its tablet tools as well as Adobe so will others. Are you kidding me about word processing? Or even spreadsheeting? Gosh dude do a little research before you make comments like these because I wonder what you call the Quick Office tools.

Simulation is processor intensive and will come when processing power on the tablet grows to match its laptop cousins.

To think that tablets won't make the laptop substitution is living like an ostrich with its head in the sand.
If your analogy is correct, then Laptops should have made the Server/Desktop substitution by now...or have they not been around long enough?

Can you show me one office, even if its not a "Corporate Office" where the Database Server is housed on a LAPTOP...please show me!
Gosh, you mean you can replace one of them IBM RS Servers where banks host customer database/transaction database and their banking software, on a Laptop!

hehehe, dont make me laugh into coma, abegi you pleaze!

Lastpage!

BTW: Since Technology is ever evolving, in future, Tablets may become more powerful compared to the "Toy" they are today, with more "miniaturization and integration" but so also is the increase in "processing power and data size" requirements of 'users' which will still make Tablets inadequate for specialized purposes as mentioned earlier. There will always be "classes" of computers and Tablets will always remain in their own 'class'.

1 Like

Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by fidelism: 4:33am On Jun 21, 2012
Do any1 knw how i can repair my android pc tablet? D screen just got broken n i have nt been able 2 get a repairer? Pls sms me on 08165123401
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Nobody: 5:37am On Jun 21, 2012
Tablet can't kill a laptop,in my line of work a tablet is totally useless to me, if I can run a VM of other OS, and use for Core Server sided works maybe I'd come around but its meant for entertainment purposes. Even desktops are still not phased out, they are meant for professional use.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by ccollins(m): 6:50am On Jun 21, 2012
Brand_new: With the advent of Tablet PC's and various computer hardware manufacturers joining the band wagon. Microsoft being the latest of them with it's "surface" tablet computers.
Seems buying or owning a laptop isn't any longer the in thing.
I personally no longer use my laptop. It packed up and i didn't even bother to fix it. I hope to replace it with a tablet PC.
So what do you think? Is it no longer fashionable to own or use a laptop for business and personal use. What are the pros and cons of using a Tablet PC?
.laptop is always the main thing.i am sure there isn't much diff btw an advanced ipod and a palmtop.computers don't need all that mobility except if it is a handset.computers are necessarily for assidous task that would take time.i.e just imagine a guy doing his final yr project on his palm top.would he take it serious or do it perfectly as to the way he would on a laptop.palm top is just for effizzy and styles
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by musty1987(m): 7:06am On Jun 21, 2012
Never. it depend on what u really want to do with the gadget. for mobility and show tablet wins. But for real work for techie like programming etc cool laptop is always the winner here. so laptop is not going to fade away any time soon.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by LordReed(m): 7:10am On Jun 21, 2012
lastpage:
If your analogy is correct, then Laptops should have made the Server/Desktop substitution by now...or have they not been around long enough?

Can you show me one office, even if its not a "Corporate Office" where the Database Server is housed on a LAPTOP...please show me!
Gosh, you mean you can replace one of them IBM RS Servers where banks host customer database/transaction database and their banking software, on a Laptop!

hehehe, dont make me laugh into coma, abegi you pleaze!

Lastpage!

BTW: Since Technology is ever evolving, in future, Tablets may become more powerful compared to the "Toy" they are today, with more "miniaturization and integration" but so also is the increase in "processing power and data size" requirements of 'users' which will still make Tablets inadequate for specialized purposes as mentioned earlier. There will always be "classes" of computers and Tablets will always remain in their own 'class'.

Understand this, when I say substitution I don't mean phasing out or a complete take over. What I mean is that laptops have replaced the desktop as most people's primary computer. Servers and supercomputers are not in this equation because the very nature of their jobs requires an agglomeration of computing resoures which of essence means they would not require mobility. This fact does not mean a laptop cannot serve as a server or a datawarehouse or even as a supercomputer it just means you would probably use more of them than is necessary.

Before you laugh yourself to a coma you would do well to consider the history of mobile computing and Moore's law.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by spendogram: 7:47am On Jun 21, 2012
The fact is we do not know the future of either. A single twist in one of them can make the other extinct faster than we can imagine.But for now I do not see say a programmer using ipad for his work.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by LordReed(m): 8:04am On Jun 21, 2012
spendogram: The fact is we do not know the future of either. A single twist in one of them can make the other extinct faster than we can imagine.But for now I do not see say a programmer using ipad for his work.

I am sure quite a number of people said this of the laptop in the early 90's.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jun 21, 2012
@lastpage. I am not so bothered about my laptop because i have access to a few dektops in the office for work as well as a smartphone which i`m using right now as i speak. Just can`t shake off the temptation of getting a Tablet pc.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by francis247(m): 2:29pm On Jun 21, 2012
12 inches!:
Tablets ARE GOING TO REPLACE LAPTOPS. It's jst so certain. What is ur definition of a laptop. That is the question u shud be asking. The reason why tablets av not being good replacement for laptops is becos they r not being made well enuff yet. Look at the ipad for example. You can do majority of what u want to do on a laptop except that it doesn't support most main stream office and work applications like autocad, microsoft office, photoshop, 3dmax, fruityloops, C++ etc.... The apple ipad as of nw as a keyboard dock that can type fast enuff so u cn do some level of office work on it. It also doesn't av a usb drive. Also gaming wise I can tell u that ipads SUCK!!!!! But all this is abt to change with a new microsoft tablet that will be launched soon. Windows Surface Pro. That tablet can to every damn thing ur laptop can do. It runs Windows 8. It comes with a keyboard cover that is detachable. It features a touchscreen. It has USB. You can run all ur autocad, solidworks, even programming languages and regular microsoft office on it as it runs normal windows application. You can plug a mouse. The detachable 4mm thick keyboard has a touchpad. You can play PES or FIFA 12 on it and plug in XBOX pads thru the USB and printers, ur camera etc. It has i5core intel processor. So what else do u do with ur laptop again that it isn't capable of doing. Absolutely nothing. But wait a minute....haven't I jst describe it has a laptop? So the question to be asked is what is a laptop and what is a tablet. I think this product from microsoft is both.
@ 1st: You call all that 'ONLY'. @2nd: is that anywhere near the priority of an average Nigerian who wants to own a COMPUTER? Not to mention the variation in price.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jun 21, 2012
lastpage:
If your Laptop can pack-up and you dont even bother, then you my bruvda, is just an "ordinary Browser"!
As in someone who uses the Laptop to do "very basic things", the same sort of things that a Tablet is well suited for!

Take it from me, despite adequate back-up, some "serious users" will have a heart attack, if their Laptop was to 'pack-up.

Am talking about Coders, Programmers, web-designers, e.t.c.........people who use a Laptop as a tool of work, not just for browsing nairaland! grin grin

Show me a "Tablet" that has quad-core i7 processor, 2TB hard drive, 8GB RAM, L6 Cache, e.t.c .......and l will agree with you that Tablets are taking over!
....just like not everyone needs a smart-phone, if all you do is "call and receive" like my Granny in the village!
grin grin

Lastpage!

Ur analogy is very wrong.... There are many users who use laptop for serious work and don't need such high processing power or specs.... I for an example use my laptop to do some processor intensive engineering design and autocad work and word processing and spreadsheet and the laptop specs I'm using is a dual core 2.Oghz 150GB ( I av an external HDD too) and 2GB ram with basic office intel graphics and the laptops as been working for me. They're tablets that alredi surpass this specs alredi. The Microsoft Surface Pro (when released is one and there will be many others).. It has i5 core intel and say 4GB ram with let's assume Nvidia graphics. Many offices use specifications way lower than this as desktops and the offices are still functioning. Plus this devices are mobile and may not be the exact substitution for ur desktop/laptop provided by ur office but they can make u efficient mobility wise too. This is the future so embrace it. And too the person who said that he can't do spreadsheet on a 10inch screen. I thot likewise too until I was forced to do autocad draughting on a 7inch screen notebook and I can tell u that the experience is nt as bad as u r imagining.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jun 21, 2012
lastpage:

grin grin

Lastpage!

Ur analogy is very wrong.... There are many users who use laptop for serious work and don't need such high processing power or specs.... I for an example use my laptop to do some processor intensive engineering design and autocad work and word processing and spreadsheet and the laptop specs I'm using is a dual core 2.Oghz 150GB ( I av an external HDD too) and 2GB ram with basic office intel graphics and the laptops as been working for me. They're tablets that alredi surpass this specs alredi. The Microsoft Surface Pro (when released is one and there will be many others).. It has i5 core intel and say 4GB ram with let's assume Nvidia graphics. Many offices use specifications way lower than this as desktops and the offices are still functioning. Plus this devices are mobile and may not be the exact substitution for ur desktop/laptop provided by ur office but they can make u efficient mobility wise too. This is the future so embrace it. And too the person who said that he can't do spreadsheet on a 10inch screen. I thot likewise too until I was forced to do autocad draughting on a 7inch screen notebook and I can tell u that the experience is nt as bad as u r imagining.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jun 21, 2012
francis247: @ 1st: You call all that 'ONLY'. @2nd: is that anywhere near the priority of an average Nigerian who wants to own a COMPUTER? Not to mention the variation in price.

You're talking like it's only Nigerians that use laptops and tablets and PC. Some pple enjoy games u knw. Even Nigerians inclusive. One of which I am. Students, adults etc. Do u knw the gaming industry is a billion dollar industry in the U.S.A and Europe. Do u knw that " call of duty mordern fare 2" I think it was made by a company called "Activision" raked up more money in sales than the highest selling box office movie for that same year. Gaming is very BIG. Because u dnt play games doesn't mean others don't. Jst check out the success of Nintendo Wii especially among ADULTS and WORKING PEOPLE.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jun 21, 2012
ccollins: .laptop is always the main thing.i am sure there isn't much diff btw an advanced ipod and a palmtop.computers don't need all that mobility except if it is a handset.computers are necessarily for assidous task that would take time.i.e just imagine a guy doing his final yr project on his palm top.would he take it serious or do it perfectly as to the way he would on a laptop.palm top is just for effizzy and styles

That is so lame #tablet is for effizy and u cn do ur final year project on it... You're nw talking abt it not being possible to write ur final year project on the tablet becos the student won't be serious with it or distracted. That is not the point. The point is that is it possible? The answer is simple. You can write ur final year project on the first generation Ipad sef with a bluetooth keyboard doc. Ipad has Quick office alredi. Microsoft is bringing FULL VERSION OFFICE to their next tablet. And just to show u ow possible it is. When I was writing my final year project. Tho I wrote most of it on my laptop then. I did a lot of editing of it and composing on my blackberry when my laptop was faulty. Yes I said it. My blackberry bold 2 which has the lowest level of Quick office that exists. Tablets is the future embrace it.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by AtheistD(m): 2:28pm On Jun 22, 2012
oche_ejemb: Someone raised a point that Laptops have replaced Desktops, I think this is false. AS with Tablets, Laptops were a whole new class of computer hardware with different use cases.

This means that desktops will slowly be phased out. The only areas of growth will be bespoke, high performance desktops and maybe netbooks, tablet pcs. Laptops will slowly be phased out except for gaming laptops.

Why do you think HP nearly exited the pc/laptop manufacturing market? There are predictions that within a decade the above will be the only areas of growth.
Re: Is Tablet Pc's Taking Laptops Out Of Fashion? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jun 22, 2012
Atheist:-D:

This means that desktops will slowly be phased out. The only areas of growth will be bespoke, high performance desktops and maybe netbooks, tablet pcs. Laptops will slowly be phased out except for gaming laptops.

Why do you think HP nearly exited the pc/laptop manufacturing market? There are predictions that within a decade the above will be the only areas of growth.
I personally don't see laptops as being fashionable. Maybe a net book will come in handy but a laptop just doesn't cut it for me..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Create India Web Proxy Server 1 & 2 / How To Retrieve Nairabet Bet Slip Numbers / Navigation Software And Digital Maps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.