Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,627 members, 7,918,018 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 08:37 PM

Weekly Stock Picks - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Weekly Stock Picks (7774 Views)

Us Stock Market 101 – Hot Stock Picks - Train And Get Good Hot Tips / Proshare.ng Daily Nigeria Stock Picks / Safety Stock Picks: Diamonds In The Rough (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Weekly Stock Picks by upson(m): 1:49pm On Nov 27, 2007
This is my little contribution to your wealth.
i will be posting my market research results here on a weekly basis.

V-stocks represent volatile stocks that can achieve plus or minus +- 25% in a week.
while G-stocks represent less volatile stocks that are regarded as Growth stocks.
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by upson(m): 1:56pm On Nov 27, 2007
V-Stocks G-Stocks
GUINEAINS 2.46 FIRSTBANK 45.99
CONTINSURE 3.40 INTERCONT 30.02
LINKASSURE 2.80 ACCESS 21.94
EQUITYASUR 1.80 UBA 54.92
NEIMETH 4.02 UNILEVER 21.00

V-stocks represent volatile stocks that can achieve plus or minus +- 25% in a week.
while G-stocks represent less volatile stocks that are generally regarded as Growth stocks.
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by MyPeace(f): 2:06pm On Nov 27, 2007
This will be a welcome development. kudos!!
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by Geebaba: 2:24pm On Nov 27, 2007
this is a very welcome idea, nice one and keep the tempo
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by Geebaba: 2:27pm On Nov 27, 2007
@upson

bros this equityassurance has been on the upside this week, today its doing 2naira, what is th e propects before the end of the year, how far do u think it will go
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by upson(m): 5:43pm On Nov 27, 2007
Geebaba:

@upson

bros this equityassurance has been on the upside this week, today its doing 2naira, what is th e propects before the end of the year, how far do u think it will go

I am sorry, i dont have target prices. but the concept is to identify stocks that would add value to your portfolio on a weekly basis.

N.B. the duration is very important, strictly Monday to Friday.
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by Nobody: 10:31am On Nov 28, 2007
upson, i dey gbadun you. about equity assurance,can u predict how it can go? list other v-stocks too. thanks
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by toskin: 11:33am On Nov 28, 2007
@ Upson
This is a welcome development.Ur weekly appraisal will enable fellow Nlanders who are too busy to monitor their investments on a daily basis,the opportunity to do so on a weekly basis.thanks bro
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by upson(m): 1:20pm On Nov 28, 2007
eva4ward:

upson, i dey gbadun you. about equity assurance,can u predict how it can go? list other v-stocks too. thanks
I can't resist the urge of not wanting to give target prices. But i will do this for Equityasur because i don't want people to get in and get trapped. A good exit target for Equityasur maybe around N2.20, because after todays trading (2.04) the bullish power seem to have lowered, thus it may not go much further before tiring out.

@toskin, eva4ward
Thanks for the nice words  smiley
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by Geebaba: 5:16pm On Nov 28, 2007
@ upson
bros thanks 4 ur info
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by madeonline(m): 8:07pm On Nov 28, 2007
Thanks for the post nice one welcome development
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by nio68(m): 9:25pm On Nov 28, 2007
nice idea, Thanks Bros
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by Nobody: 8:23am On Nov 29, 2007
thanks guys for your contributions. but i was thinking equity assurance will at least hit 3.00naira like staco and custody.they have good prospects from my little analysis:though its just an opinion.what do you feel about cutix and airservice?
oceanic certificates is out for those who bought get yours on time.
first bank alloted their shares this week.
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by upson(m): 9:11am On Nov 30, 2007
its Friday, time for my first performance review, and i can tell u that i'm jittery, cos this is going to be a public evaluation.
Anywayz, after today's trading i guess my picks wouldn't have performed to badly.
Till then.
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by upson(m): 3:13pm On Nov 30, 2007
The Result:::::::::::>

WEEK 1 26th to 30th November
Company opening price closing price %gain/loss
V-Stocks

GUINEAINS      2.46                  3.09   25.61%
CONTINSURE     3.40               3.30    -2.94%
LINKASSURE      2.80                2.95    5.36%
EQUITYASUR      1.80               1.95    8.33%
NEIMETH         4.02                  4.92 22.39%

G-Stocks
FIRSTBANK     45.99                43.51 -5.39%
INTERCONT    30.02               31.50  4.93%
ACCESS     21.94                20.51 -6.52%
UBA          54.92                50.15 -8.69%
UNILEVER         21.00                19.95 -5.00%

Overall Performance on the basis of equal weights is 3.81%

While the volatile stocks did not disappoint attaining 11.75% all together, the Growth Stocks performed below expectation -4.13%, with UBA leading the pack having declared the much awaited results albiet fantastic but with not to much to reward the shareholders.

Anywayz, we look forward to next week. The picks should be up by Sunday night or Monday morning.
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by wyt(m): 3:32pm On Nov 30, 2007
@ the poster, that is a nice job, are u a stock broker?
when are u posting the next week stock picks?

keep the good work
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by upson(m): 7:16pm On Nov 30, 2007
@ wyt
thanks for the words.
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by bjluv: 7:25pm On Nov 30, 2007
@upson

this is a great work on your part, I highly appreciate. Now I have to look for a way to get a stokebroker to start buying shares there,
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by grabdbull: 1:24pm On Dec 01, 2007
It is incumbent on me to first give kudos to Seun for this wonderful forum where Nigerians at home and abroad can relate with each other, and not be despised for where they come from.
That said, I must raise my hat to Upson for the stock picks thread. One week on and it has proven to be instructive. Imagine getting seriously accurate forecasts on a thread. I will have you know that inasmuch as I have always visited Nairaland as a guest, your thread for the past one week has made me register as a member. I implore you to keep adding value to the lives of as many as are interested in grabbing the opportunity to build themselves.
There are a few things I would like to know though: are you a registered stockbroker, are you going to be committed to posting on this thread? If not, where can we get a regular weekly forecast of Stock picks in the NSE as an alternative? If you are a stockbroker, how do we get you to represent us?
Once again, thank you very much
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by upson(m): 3:27pm On Dec 01, 2007
@ grabdbull
@wyt
wyt:

@ the poster, that is a nice job, are u a stock broker?
grabdbull:

There are a few things I would like to know though: are you a registered stockbroker,
I want to plead that you allow me maintain the anonymity usernames are meant to guarantee, cos i dont want this thread to be mistaken for a marketing campaign, in the process losing its value and consequently defeating the objective of the thread as stated in the first post.

Talking about commitment to the thread
grabdbull:

are you going to be committed to posting on this thread?
it is my prayer too, that i dont get distracted or too busy to continue rendering this Nairaland Community Service.
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by naijaking1: 7:34pm On Dec 01, 2007
@Upson

Thanks for your wonderful job on the weekly stock pics, but take a look into your crystal ball and tell me if you could, what's the projected value of UBA and First Bank in 1, 2, 3 years.
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by wyt(m): 6:12am On Dec 02, 2007
@upson
i preciate ur stand to do ur work anonimously, for other reason that i may need ur help,
u can drop ur email addy to on kolinz24@gmail.com, or txt or call 08065452268.

so when are we having this week info?
what is wrong with ecobank stock?
any forsiable retracement on curent move on insurance stocks?

thanks for ur friendliness in this thread
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by Ibime(m): 8:23am On Dec 02, 2007
Upson, I'm sorry but if you are going to give us stock tips, don't just come here and give us the volatility and the current share price. That tells us nothing. Why don't you give us the fundamental ratios to prove that you are carrying out your analysis properly? What are these companies earnings per share, their book value per share, YTD % change and what is their leveraging and free cash flow etc. Don't just give us simple facts that we can find from the internet in ten seconds, you could cause people to lose money with your haphazard approach.
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by Ibime(m): 8:24am On Dec 02, 2007
Upson, Im sorry but if you are going to give us stock tips, don't just come here and give us the volatility and the current share price. That tells us nothing. Why don't you give us the fundamental ratios to prove that you are carrying out your analysis properly? What are these companies earnings per share, their book value per share, YTD % change and what is their leveraging and free cash flow etc. Don't just give us simple facts that we can find from the internet in ten seconds, you could cause people to lose money with your haphazard approach.
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by esejoanna: 8:55am On Dec 02, 2007
udson ! i appreciate your effort to give us weekly v-stock or g-stock, because i have search for this type of means all through . and if you say you can do ; there i good need for you to seriously back it up with fundamentally analysis.
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by upson(m): 9:47am On Dec 02, 2007
[size=2pt]I have been praying not to get distracted and at least for now, my prayer would be answered.[/size]
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by Ibime(m): 10:12am On Dec 02, 2007
upson:

I have been praying not to get distracted and at least for now, my prayer would be answered.

I don't know what you mean by this. All I'm saying is that you should tell people why you pick the stocks you do. Yes, we know the volatility, but do you expect it to be negative or positive this week? If so, why? Because volatility = risk. Unless we are fairly sure that the projected volatility is positive, we don't want to invest. Also for Growth stocks, we know that the growth is long term. Therefore, you cannot have a new G-stock each week. You pick a few G-stocks each quarter or each year and you stick with it. You also know that the process of buying Naija stocks can take weeks to complete. So what is the purpose of buying your stockpick this week only to recieve ownership in a few weeks, by which time you have a new stockpick for that week?

Also, can you please compare the movement of your stock picks against the movement of the NSE as a whole so we can evaluate your performance in the right context. Anyway, I don't mean to be hard on you. Don't take it that way. Every honest effort is appreciated by Nairaland users.
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by upson(m): 11:59am On Dec 02, 2007
B4 i post the picks for this week, i think there is need for some education here.
my objective for initiating this thread is not to educate on the modus operandi of the Nigerian Stock Market, i guess so many threads on Nairaland are already doing that.
But i see the need to educate some seemingly NASDAQ, FTSE, NYSE knowledgeable people on how the Nigerian market operates.

@ Ibime
from your posts, its obvious you dont know a lot of things about this market, and pls endeavour to add more to your knowledge base.
Firstly, i dont know of any form of Fundamental analysis that would indicate possible price movements over a duration as short as one week.

Secondly, your insinuation about the time of completion of a single transaction on the NSE obviosly lets the cat out of the bag on your level of familiarity with NSE.
A regular transaction takes only one second to execute, but the cash side of the transaction takes T+3. The meaning of this is that ownership is transferred once your broker executes your instruction, but you would not be able to cash-out (in the case of a sell mandate) until T+3.
In-fact depending on the level of rapport between you and your broker you can buy and sell the same stock on the same day, cos ownership transfer is instanteneous. but that may not be available for even millionnaire clients.

Thirdly, one the issue of G-stocks. The objective here is not to identify or select Growth Stocks, but the motive as clearly stated is to identify G-Stocks that is expected to appreciate during the week. Thus, G-stocks is used here just as a nomenclature for a select category of stocks and not as a definition as you thought.

Lastly, on the comparison with the NSE index, i believe the index is public information, so you can do your evaluation in whatever context you so desire. Even the performance of the "best portfolio managers" is pubicly available so pls compare the results against whatever standard you desire.
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by upson(m): 12:03pm On Dec 02, 2007
i hope this weeks performance would be better, although i haven't had enough time to work on the picks.

STOCK PICK FOR THE WEEK 3-12-07
V-Stocks                 G-Stocks

GUINEAINS N 3.09 GUARANTY 30.25
JAPAULOIL   N 7.66 CUTIX  13.95
INTENEGINS N 1.87 AP      128.08
UNTL    N 1.90   UNILEVER    19.95
INTBREW N 1.17 INTERCONT   31.5
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by Ibime(m): 12:16pm On Dec 02, 2007
upson:

B4 i post the picks for this week, i think there is need for some education here.
my objective for initiating this thread is not to educate on the modus operandi of the Nigerian Stock Market, i guess so many threads on Nairaland are already doing that.
But i see the need to educate some seemingly NASDAQ, FTSE, NYSE knowledgeable people on how the Nigerian market operates.

@ Ibime
from your posts, its obvious you don't know a lot of things about this market, and please endeavour to add more to your knowledge base.
Firstly, i don't know of any form of Fundamental analysis that would indicate possible price movements over a duration as short as one week.

Secondly, your insinuation about the time of completion of a single transaction on the NSE obviosly lets the cat out of the bag on your level of familiarity with NSE.
A regular transaction takes only one second to execute, but the cash side of the transaction takes T+3. The meaning of this is that ownership is transferred once your broker executes your instruction, but you would not be able to cash-out (in the case of a sell mandate) until T+3.
In-fact depending on the level of rapport between you and your broker you can buy and sell the same stock on the same day, because ownership transfer is instanteneous. but that may not be available for even millionnaire clients.

Thirdly, one the issue of G-stocks. The objective here is not to identify or select Growth Stocks, but the motive as clearly stated is to identify G-Stocks that is expected to appreciate during the week. Thus, G-stocks is used here just as a nomenclature for a select category of stocks and not as a definition as you thought.

Lastly, on the comparison with the NSE index, i believe the index is public information, so you can do your evaluation in whatever context you so desire. Even the performance of the "best portfolio managers" is pubicly available so please compare the results against whatever standard you desire.

Thank you very much. You are right that I am still taking my first steps into the Naija market - just need to learn the rules. And yes, I know that fundamental analysis is a longer term approach than one week - again, my ignorance of transaction times spurred this suggestion. So abeg, no vex, my apologies. Anyway, could you then please explain your method - whether you use technical analysis, analyst reviews, news reports, gut instincts etc so that we can also apply some of these methods ourselves - I am not saying you should educate us - the reason I would like to know your methods is so that I know if they are reliable or not - as you know, there are many people on Nairaland who profess to have knowledge that they don't have. If you want to give us some insight into the best methods for short term stock picking in Naija, we no go mind as well - I am sure that your knowledge will be reciprocated somehow - after all, we are all here to learn from each other. As you say, I will continue to check your performance against the NSE over the coming weeks - however, it would be nice if you can post it up yourself so that everyone on here can see that you are doing a good job.

Also, it is good to find that you are knowledgeable about NSE. Maybe you can help with some questions I have in the thread below -

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-98270.0.html
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by narht: 7:21am On Dec 03, 2007
Hi Upson,
u're wonderful.
Love ur approach.
Could you please post ur contact l.e email and GSM, so that we could talk.
Nice day
Re: Weekly Stock Picks by MyPeace(f): 10:36am On Dec 04, 2007
undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Richest Forex Trader In The World! / Building Plan/architectural Design For Proposed Block Of Flats / How To Calculate Your Dividend Growth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.