Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,257 members, 7,880,976 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:19 AM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (268) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4479814 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (265) (266) (267) (268) (269) (270) (271) ... (2516) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Chyvy(f): 11:55pm On Jul 15, 2015
lamdec:
Hello.mamas, I know a lot of questions are yet to be answered but I will appreciate if this is answered. My baby is 15 days now and his placenta cord hasn't come off, my mum is kinda worried that it is taking too long. The doctors advice that I only clean it with cotton wool and methylated spirit but my mum is of the opinion that we should use heat compress on it. The stump looks fine, no smells, no discharge and it's shrinking but my mum thinks it's just taking too long. What else can I do, she is getting me to panic and I don't know if I should allow her use heat on his navel.
Well, my mum applied d compress during bathing (its tradition) and it fell off on the 4th day. I don't know if it had any impact, But my mum said mine also fell off in 4 days wen I was born. Jus use ur instinct dear

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Chyvy(f): 11:57pm On Jul 15, 2015
dunnybaby26:

By heat compress guess u mean towel in hot water nd press wt it?if u ar my tribe(yoruba) it won't be new 2 u as its done on all babies av seen.ds is ao my mum did 4 my children even after it has fallen off till 3 mnths;after bathin bt b4 dryin d body she will put a small towel in hot water(nt too hot pls so dt d baby's body does nt burn)nd press d navel wt all d surrounding,then dip d towel in d water again nd raise it directly 2 d navel hole(belly button)nd let it drop like tap,she may do it 3 times at every bath.ds does nt stop u frm cleanin evry 2 hours wt cotton wool nd spirit.put ur mind at rest nd speak 2 d doc too,my nephew's own fell after 3 weeks
U just described d whole thing

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Chyvy(f): 12:04am On Jul 16, 2015
Keji3:
Its good to finally port to this thread, my baby is 5days old and finally getting a grab of so many things i've read here. I was given multivitamins and ampicillin drops for my baby but i'm confused on why she will need it cos there was no complains about her didnt check the drugs b4 we left the hospital and cant go back to the hospital for now. Pls i jst want to know if anybody has had to use the drugs on a newborn and under what circumstances.
Do u breastfeed? Do u eat well? If so, I don't think there's a need for multivitamins. Also,was ur LO diagnosed of any infection? I think u should seek a 2nd opinion. Congrats and welcom onboard

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by shndy: 12:35am On Jul 16, 2015
Pls mothers giving super apeti, cypri gold, cypron.....syrups to babies shd think twice. Those drugs are bad enough for adults not to talk of babies! A chubby baby doesn't mean a healthy baby, being healthy is the most important.

5 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MGeey(f): 2:53am On Jul 16, 2015
Good morning mamas. Please sorry to digress, its six weeks now since I put to bed yet the dark coloration on my neck and the dark spots from the pimples I had while pregnant is yet to fade. I have used black native soap, longrich soap n coconut oil yet no improvement. Please any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Jenonye(f): 3:26am On Jul 16, 2015
Keji3:
Its good to finally port to this thread, my baby is 5days old and finally getting a grab of so many things i've read here. I was given multivitamins and ampicillin drops for my baby but i'm confused on why she will need it cos there was no complains about her didnt check the drugs b4 we left the hospital and cant go back to the hospital for now. Pls i jst want to know if anybody has had to use the drugs on a newborn and under what circumstances.
My LO was also given those drugs. The multivitamin is to help ur LO's immunity and antibiotics is to help fight infections. But the antibiotics shld be administered for only 7days or so. Ask ur doc to b extra sure. But it's normal that ur LO is given those drugs tho
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Jenonye(f): 3:32am On Jul 16, 2015
Jenonye:
Good day mamas. Pls I'm having a little challenge. During the day wenever I put my LO to sleep he wakes up in less than 20mins sometimes it's 5mins... But at night he sleeps very well and only cries for food and goes back to sleep. How can I get him to sleep for longer hours during d day so I wld hav time to do stuffs around or is it normal? He's 2months plus. May God bless our LOs
Pls mama's my question remains un answered o
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by bossladymo1: 4:13am On Jul 16, 2015
Jenonye:

Normally, the problem is the other way round...i.e Mothers needing advice on how to get their LO to sleep at night. Your baby might just not be much of a sleeper and would rather be active.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by bossladymo1: 4:20am On Jul 16, 2015
Keji3:

Are you sure the antibiotic isnt for you?

Everyone knows you dont give antibiotics when it is noy needed. Does your child have an infection? No. So why the antibiotic? Pls dont scatter your baby's natural process of building immunity. Antibiotics are not so good in ppl with infection, talkless of people with no onfection. Antibiotics kill both good and bad bacteria, e no dey look face. That is why women are advised to take natural yoghurt after fighting a toilet infection etc, cos the antibiotic would have killed the good bacteria, making them more susceptible to a stronger infection. So for a newborn who needs all the good bacteria he/she can get, an antibiotic is not a good idea...except he/she has an infection the body cannot fight....of ehich,tests would have been done.

Pls go back to the hospital or call your doctor. Ask why the antibiotic was given. Antibiotic is not paracetamol or abidec. Besides, majority of the antibiotics we have are for babies older than 3months. It is a cost-benefit ratio that pushes doctors to preacribe antibiotics in babies younger than 3 months. So how a doctor would randomly give an antibiotic, beats me.

6 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by bossladymo1: 4:22am On Jul 16, 2015
Jenonye:

My LO was also given those drugs. The multivitamin is to help ur LO's immunity and antibiotics is to help fight infections. But the antibiotics shld be administered for only 7days or so. Ask ur doc to b extra sure. But it's normal that ur LO is given those drugs tho

In an already infected baby, not a healthy one.

4 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by bossladymo1: 4:23am On Jul 16, 2015
MGeey:
Good morning mamas. Please sorry to digress, its six weeks now since I put to bed yet the dark coloration on my neck and the dark spots from the pimples I had while pregnant is yet to fade. I have used black native soap, longrich soap n coconut oil yet no improvement. Please any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Your body didnt automatically darken in 6 weeks. It was months and months of darkening. Give it time.

7 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by bossladymo1: 4:25am On Jul 16, 2015
shndy:
Pls mothers giving super apeti, cypri gold, cypron.....syrups to babies shd think twice. Those drugs are bad enough for adults not to talk of babies! A chubby baby doesn't mean a healthy baby, being healthy is the most important.

No matter how you drum it in some people's ear, mba!...Nothing dey enta.

I saw a big baby one time, at the health centre. Chubby kid...! But unknown to you, this baby had not taken 1 single vaccination shot...not 1....not even OPV drops. Now a mother somewhere will see that one and start self-medicating her kid, thinking chubby equals healthy.

4 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by bossladymo1: 4:27am On Jul 16, 2015
lamdec:
Thanks rieme28,dunnybaby26,rashomo and other mamas for the replies. We actually clean the. cord and.the area surrounding and beneath it thoroughly every time he feeds and every time we.change his diapers or sometimes whenever he wakes up from sleep, my mum makes sure she cleanses it thoroughly, I just want to be sure it's okay for it to take this long time to fall. I guess I will allow her do the hot compress, was advised against it at the hospital that cleaning it is enough. I will keep hoping it falls off soon. Thanks everyone.

My 2 kids had theirs fall of at about 2 weeks or a little over 2 weeks. I didnt bother myself, cos it was not infected, neither was it smelling. I didnt do any hot water pressing either. All i did was clean with spirit every 3-4hrs or so.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by bossladymo1: 4:29am On Jul 16, 2015
rieme26:
My mum used towel soaked in warm water to massage the surrounding and the cord before cleaning with spirit. When cleaning with spirit make sure you clean the surrounding and the cord itself thoroughly. My son own fall off at 12days. We still massage with warm water till it heals completely. The whole warm water massaging is for internal healing.
. A Matron advised we put little purit disinfectant in the warm water.

LMAO at internal healing! Hahaha! Naija!

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by shndy: 5:24am On Jul 16, 2015
bossladymo1:

No matter how you drum it in some people's ear, mba!...Nothing dey enta.

I saw a big baby one time, at the health centre. Chubby kid...! But unknown to you, this baby had not taken 1 single vaccination shot...not 1....not even OPV drops. Now a mother somewhere will see that one and start self-medicating her kid, thinking chubby equals healthy.
My sis I weak, we too like drugs for we country and I want to believe it's cos we can practically get all drugs over the counter lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rieme26: 7:08am On Jul 16, 2015
Lol, that's the reason I was given when I asked oh. Think it's a naija tradition though even my mil and aunt did same was they bath him. Abeg bosslady my 3 weeks baby has rash on his face and little on his arm and thigh.
bossladymo1:

LMAO at internal healing! Hahaha! Naija!
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by bossladymo1: 7:49am On Jul 16, 2015
shndy:

My sis I weak, we too like drugs for we country and I want to believe it's cos we can practically get all drugs over the counter lipsrsealed

Exactly!

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by bossladymo1: 7:51am On Jul 16, 2015
rieme26:
Lol, that's the reason I was given when I asked oh. Think it's a naija tradition though even my mil and aunt did same was they bath him. Abeg bosslady my 3 weeks baby has rash on his face and little on his arm and thigh.

There are a million and one reasons. He could be reacting to food, bed sheet or any material he slept on, or heat.

Did you make any changes recently?

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Jenonye(f): 8:41am On Jul 16, 2015
bossladymo1:

Normally, the problem is the other way round...i.e Mothers needing advice on how to get their LO to sleep at night. Your baby might just not be much of a sleeper and would rather be active.
thx ma
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MiracleMum(f): 9:26am On Jul 16, 2015
mimzy:
MiracleMum, my LO is 5mnths and 2weeks ,she takes cow and gate egg custard and to d best of my knowledge, u do not need to add water, for u to be sure, visit their website and see d preparation instructions, u only need to put whatever amount u know ur LO can finish at a go into the bottle,place it in warm water to heat it up and feed ur LO,i use a bowl n spoon though.my LO finishes a bottle at a go so I usually do not need to refrigerate
As for the strawberry n banana porridge, I do two scoops with one scoop of her formula,i.e similac. So depending on how much ur LO can finish at a go,use that ratio.Use the enfamil scoop to measure the cereal,if u have an empty can,just pour d cereal inside to make it easier, Hope u understand my little explanation, find attached if it's d same cow n gate Ure talking bout

Thanks so much dear. It's the same cow and gate. If water is not added, won't it be thick - I would prefer bottle feeding.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MiracleMum(f): 9:34am On Jul 16, 2015
bossladymo1:

There are a million and one reasons. He could be reacting to food, bed sheet or any material he slept on, or heat.
Did you make any changes recently?
rieme26:

My lo once reacted to the detergent I used to wash her clothes. I had to change it.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Nobody: 9:37am On Jul 16, 2015
pls dont add ordinary water,instead of water, u can mix a little formula with warm water den add to the egg custard, buh i noticed once u warm it, it bcums slightly watery so i dont bother adding formula, i bottle feed also cos at tyms she gets tired of d spoon so i just pour d rest into her bottle n feed her
http://www.cowandgate.co.uk/article/banana-strawberry-porridge
http://www.cowandgate.co.uk/article/creamed-porridge#preparation-&-storage
http://www.cowandgate.co.uk/article/baby-cauliflower-cheese#preparation-&-storage

MiracleMum:

Thanks so much dear. It's the same cow and gate. If water is not added, won't it be thick - I would prefer bottle feeding.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MiracleMum(f): 11:39am On Jul 16, 2015
mimzy:
pls dont add ordinary water,instead of water, u can mix a little formula with warm water den add to the egg custard, buh i noticed once u warm it, it bcums slightly watery so i dont bother adding formula, i bottle feed also cos at tyms she gets tired of d spoon so i just pour d rest into her bottle n feed her
http://www.cowandgate.co.uk/article/banana-strawberry-porridge
http://www.cowandgate.co.uk/article/creamed-porridge#preparation-&-storage
http://www.cowandgate.co.uk/article/baby-cauliflower-cheese#preparation-&-storage

Thanks a bunch ma'am
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Ezeanna: 12:20pm On Jul 16, 2015
lamdec:
Hello.mamas, I know a lot of questions are yet to be answered but I will appreciate if this is answered. My baby is 15 days now and his placenta cord hasn't come off, my mum is kinda worried that it is taking too long. The doctors advice that I only clean it with cotton wool and methylated spirit but my mum is of the opinion that we should use heat compress on it. The stump looks fine, no smells, no discharge and it's shrinking but my mum thinks it's just taking too long. What else can I do, she is getting me to panic and I don't know if I should allow her use heat on his navel.

It will fall off soon, dear. No need to panic. Continue cleaning from time to time with the spirit and cotton wool.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by RashMe(f): 12:49pm On Jul 16, 2015
MGeey:

continue using d black native soap, it will surely clear.
Its been 7wks for me now and it remains only my neck.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Catalyst007(m): 1:22pm On Jul 16, 2015
BUY YOUR BABY CLOTHES AND TOYS ONLINE IN NIGERIA TODAY :

This is for those who don't yet know they can shop for almost anything online in Nigeria and have it delivered to their doorstep. Also, Online prices are mostly cheaper than retail prices.

konga will give you N2000 for your first order using their app.

CLICK HERE FOR GUIDANCE;

http://onlineshopping-productreviews..com/2015/03/shopping-on-konga-tutorial-101.html?m=1l
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by babythug(f): 2:12pm On Jul 16, 2015
Jenonye:

Maybe you should try and simulate night time for your LO. Though that could be a bit hard, pull the curtains down perhaps and ensure everywhere is really quiet!

if h/she wakes up does he/she cry? maybe you can leave the child lying down in peace if not crying....

avoid doing any activities around/in the same room baby is sleeping in the afternoon too.

Hope these helps....

If not free the pikin abeg cheesy
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by MGeey(f): 2:39pm On Jul 16, 2015
Thanks @ RashMe n bossladymo1. I'll continue with the black native soap. I pray it works.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rieme26: 3:09pm On Jul 16, 2015
I changed his soap and cream from Johnson to sebamed, then got him abidec multivitamin, he was given afrabvite in the hospital. Can't just figure out what could be the cause.
MiracleMum:

My lo once reacted to the detergent I used to wash her clothes. I had to change it.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by favoredgal: 3:22pm On Jul 16, 2015
bossladymo1:

My 2 kids had theirs fall of at about 2 weeks or a little over 2 weeks. I didnt bother myself, cos it was not infected, neither was it smelling. I didnt do any hot water pressing either. All i did was clean with spirit every 3-4hrs or so.

same as my baby...took 3 weeks...she should just follow the doctor's instructions

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by favoredgal: 3:28pm On Jul 16, 2015
Jenonye:

at least yours sleeps during the day...that was my baby not too long ago...you put her down 10 mins she is awake...except you are carrying her...then at night every 2 hours

but one day she just flipped and started taking 3 hours day time nap and 12 hours straight sleep at night...

try minimizing noise, swaddling, thats wrapping well in a blanket to give the illusion of being carried, you can try low music as well

but just know that THIS TOO WILL PASS

(1) (2) (3) ... (265) (266) (267) (268) (269) (270) (271) ... (2516) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.