Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,417 members, 7,881,527 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:25 PM

NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! - Health (720) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! (4480295 Views)

In Benue, Woman Delivers 6 Still-Born Babies (Graphic Pic) / SHOCKING PHOTOS: See Chinese People Kill And Eat New Born Babies / Are There Doctors For Newly Born Babies Here? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (717) (718) (719) (720) (721) (722) (723) ... (2516) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ngsoundz: 9:55pm On Nov 16, 2016
[quote author=Tojued post=51080141]
thank you for sharing ur experience I'll include lot of fluid these days
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by sugah: 10:33pm On Nov 16, 2016
AlphaHandMaiden:

He he he he wetin i do na?!

Pele, you don try! E no easy. I wonder how some people manage to do it for longer..

I dont know if his being pre term matters so you will have to check with your doctor first.

For starters what i did was get a pack each of

baby rice ( you know my struggles from previous post),
Aptamil cereal
Cow and gate creamy porridge. All of them the ones from 4 mos.
( aptamil cereal and the creamy porridge already contain milk so its just to add water.)

Then also some cow and gate food jars. Just a few for out and about days or when food inspiration fails me.

To be honest the orisirisi is not that hard and it is waaaaayyyyy cheaper than pouch or jar food!

I started with basic and easy fruits and veg...

■Banana - can be mashed with a fork
■Mangoes - if ripe enough a fork would do but in the early days i used a hand blender to make it eeally smooth
■carrots - boiled or steamed and blended
■avocado - mashed with a fork.
■Sweet potato - boiled and mashed or blended till smooth.
■ripe plantain - boiled and blended

Note for most of these you would need to add a few spoons of water to blend any excess was put in an ice tray wraped in cling film and frozen. If you are using immediately you can use some of babies usual milk.

I did single stuff for like 2 - 3 weeks, then started my mixy mixy. I then take my baby's food out of the main pot before i add maggi, and pepper.

So things like, beans, yam, spinach, amala, poundo, okra were introduced. So that she gets used to the house food. ( as i dont want her to go and get used to cauliflower cheese from hipp and the like meanwhile na amala and yam the rest of us dey chop for house. I cant set myself up for future food drama. My policy is one house - one pot)

If you do a search, there are like one or more pages with various food ideas from different mamas.

If he can hold stuff you can start giving him finger foods duting meal times things like yam, potatoes, soft boiled carrots can be sliced up for him to hold and he will just be there contently sucking the life out of it......

Please do not leave him alone un- supervised with food at any time.

Also i introduced food with a soft tip spoon and water from a cup at mealtimes.....

I have just saved this on my notepad grin
Cc Rofemiguwa

1 Like 10 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by ozycy: 10:54pm On Nov 16, 2016
sugarcanebaby:
My dear son needs to take the rotavirus vaccine and pneumococcal conjugate. The private hospital I use says it's 16500.
Mamas here have answered you on the importance of these vaccines. Government hospitals now give PCV free so you pay for only retrovirus it shouldn't be more than 7-8k.
As for me, I ll rather give all the vaccines and save my self the stress cos GOD forbid the child gets any of these disease, you may end up spending more to treat it plus the stress of taking care of a sick child.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by zimunachimdi: 11:15pm On Nov 16, 2016
Motherhood is something else.
so pap and infant milk is not enough again??
what will be the fate of mothers and their los who cant complement with cerelac or any other cereals.

all these combo with pap na war ooo.

Isorit . i turned out good so my kids will.lol.

so how will i add the groundnut?

6 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rofemiguwa(f): 11:36pm On Nov 16, 2016
sugah:

I have just saved this on my notepad grin
Cc Rofemiguwa

Thanks mama.
Thanks helovesme.
I gave her mashed potatoes and carrot she didnt like it.she threw up after 4th spoon.

She took oats n apple puree well dou
But didnt take only apple puree well,guess it was too sweet.

Saving page
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by iomoge2(f): 12:11am On Nov 17, 2016
Jeez. Anytime i visit. This page. I am amazed at the work mothers do. Chio.

This is d most serious thread i have come across on NL.

God help me when the time comes....

Saving pages too on my notepad.
#sigh

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by zimunachimdi: 1:01am On Nov 17, 2016
mamas,is it ok if i ground only dawa or corn or should i combine the two?
i intend soaking for 24hours.
pls someone should help on how to add groundnut to it.
thanks to all mamas here.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by helovesme(f): 1:23am On Nov 17, 2016
rofemiguwa:

Thanks mama.
Thanks helovesme.
I gave her mashed potatoes and carrot she didnt like it.she threw up after 4th spoon.

She took oats n apple puree well dou
But didnt take only apple puree well,guess it was too sweet.

Saving page

How old is your baby? Mashed food/lumpy food are best introduced after a certain age so as not to overwork their digestive system. As their taste buds develop, it's all about the texture and consistency of the food in their mouth which is why it's advised to start with puréed food and slowly introduce mashed/lumpy food.

Below is a brief breakdown of my son's diet for his first year.

0 - 6months = breastmilk and formula
7-8 = breastmilk, formula, factory produced baby cereal, strictly puréed food. Only mashed meals were banana and advocado.
9-12 = breastmilk, formula, factory produced baby cereal, mashed/lumpy food.

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by kidco: 6:20am On Nov 17, 2016
What the age specification
could you like rhyme
cartoons or Christmas stories included
please go to the group and make your choice

Abiagirl777:

Thank God finally,i'm inooooo.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by starbuck(f): 7:11am On Nov 17, 2016
zimunachimdi:
mamas,is it ok if i ground only dawa or corn or should i combine the two?

i intend soaking for 24hours.

pls someone should help on how to add groundnut to it.

thanks to all mamas here.

For all my kids... I combine dawa, corn and joro (dunno the English name) which contains calcium and then ground together. As for the groundnut, I ain't sure what it will turn out to if you add to it.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 7:36am On Nov 17, 2016
I think what the researchers are saying is "don't give pap/ogi as a daily meal unless you fortify it with enough protein combos". Pap, like custard should be fine for maybe twice a week. Because people do take plain pap with milk and give their babies daily, see the child getting plump and think the child is healthy.
Nigerian food is carb-heavy because our ancestors used to trek to the farm and do strenous work under the sun all day and trek back. So they needed high-energy carb rich foods. Just like a footballer or runner. We don't live like that anymore.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by soonest(f): 8:13am On Nov 17, 2016
starbuck:

For all my kids... I combine dawa, corn and joro (dunno the English name)

Guinea corn, corn, millet.

As for the groundnut, I think it's the powdered form that's added to the prepared pap.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 8:18am On Nov 17, 2016
I don't know if anyone has seen this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/3467558/crisis-looms-prices-drugs-increase#51097206

Basically, drugs are getting more expensive because of the Forex issue. Prices are skyrocketing or expensive drugs are not being replaced. Children's mulitvitamins were highlighted. Please we all need to be careful where we buy our medicines because knowing Nigerian factor, unscrupulous people will start cutting corners and selling expired and substandard drugs at chemists and pharmacies. I believe I trust Healthplus enough and I know a few other pharmacies around Lagos I think I trust. But let us be very careful. Also, in getting drugs from your hospital be also watchful, especially if it is all those small private clinics that is basically a one-man show. They may wish to cut corners.

6 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by starbuck(f): 8:21am On Nov 17, 2016
soonest:

Guinea corn, corn, millet.

As for the groundnut, I think it's the powdered form that's added to the prepared pap.

Thanks
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by zimunachimdi: 10:49am On Nov 17, 2016
starbuck:

For all my kids... I combine dawa, corn and joro (dunno the English name) which contains calcium and then ground together. As for the groundnut, I ain't sure what it will turn out to if you add to it.

thanks mummy. this task eeh,na God hand i dey.

how are the kids?

how many days should i soak it ma.

mummy soonest,thanks for the english names. they do confuse me a times. guinea corn and millet looks alike.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by starbuck(f): 11:05am On Nov 17, 2016
zimunachimdi:

thanks mummy. this task eeh,na God hand i dey.

how are the kids?

how many days should i soak it ma.

mummy soonest,thanks for the english names. they do confuse me a times. guinea corn and millet looks alike.

I soak the three all together for 3 days, but I change water for all those days. After that, I ground and then sieve..
The kids are good and yours... Don't worry about the task you will get very used to it and wouldn't feel bothered again.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by mumsgirl27(f): 11:07am On Nov 17, 2016
Onegai:

Take her to a doctor, find out if it's a serious condition (some require surgery) and if it isn't, focus on her diet changing more than convenient multivitamins. There is a lot going on in multivitamins research and a lot of paeditricians don't recommend it for their own children unnecessarily but will let yours swallow it easily. Because the parent insist on it. There are foods rich in Calcium and Vitamin D available cheaply everywhere, do your research. I'm saying that as a parent whose child doesn't drink milk and stopped since 5 months plus by herself, who has excellent bone density (no matter how many derring-do jumps she performs from the centre table, her legs are strong enough to kick painfully at night). Anyhoo, choice is yours smiley

Thank you so much mama Onegai....My DD doesn't take milk expect in her cereals...I give her egg(she has started rejecting it lately), banana and other foods, also vegetable daily..What other food do u suggest...I thought only my daughter grin, she is so strong....something I imagine if i unknowingly give her steroid grin, and extremely active. Though she is a chubby baby but not over weight, am think the weight also contributes it.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by mumsgirl27(f): 11:10am On Nov 17, 2016
babythug:

Typically the Drs say it'll straighten out as she grows but I'd suggest you add cod liver oil to her regimen. It's particularly helpful for growing bones and strengthens the bones.

You may also want is assessed by a dr to be sure it's not the chronic type that will need medical intervention

Thanks mama, I will c a drs, though i don't think it is chronic.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by mumsgirl27(f): 11:12am On Nov 17, 2016
imurboss:

In addition to what other mamas suggested, you can also add complan milk to her diet,i also experienced this with my dd...i gave her cod liver oil and complan milk for a yr+ but if you see her now you can never know she once had a bow leg.....i can testify to this. God will help us all to take good care of these little ones.

Amen....Thanks mama for your suggestion, should complan milk be used as her daily milk or I should she she take it once daily.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by zimunachimdi: 11:15am On Nov 17, 2016
starbuck:

I soak the three all together for 3 days, but I change water for all those days. After that, I ground and then sieve..
The kids are good and yours... Don't worry about the task you will get very used to it and wouldn't feel bothered again.

thanks alot ma. lo is fine. have a blissful day.

1 Like

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 11:23am On Nov 17, 2016
mumsgirl27:
[/b]

Thank you so much mama Onegai....My DD doesn't take milk expect in her cereals...I give her egg(she has started rejecting it lately), banana and other foods, also vegetable daily..What other food do u suggest...I thought only my daughter grin, she is so strong....something I imagine if i unknowingly give her steroid grin, and extremely active. Though she is a chubby baby but not over weight, am think the weight also contributes it.

Do research on the internet and check the Search function, it was mentioned some months back.

2 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rofemiguwa(f): 11:29am On Nov 17, 2016
helovesme:

How old is your baby? Mashed food/lumpy food are best introduced after a certain age so as not to overwork their digestive system. As their taste buds develop, it's all about the texture and consistency of the food in their mouth which is why it's advised to start with puréed food and slowly introduce mashed/lumpy food.

7-8 = breastmilk, formula, factory produced baby cereal, strictly puréed food. Only mashed meals were banana and advocado.

Thanks alot mama dis helps a great deal.
I can puree potatoes. Abi.
Or i shud just leave out root crops for now n jus give pureed fruits
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rofemiguwa(f): 11:38am On Nov 17, 2016
So couple of weeks ago i went down memorylane on this thread grin
It was fun.i remember seeing onegai announce her entry around jul lastyr i tink.
Nita2013,bosslady
Those were the ghenghen mamas den.

Shoutout to u all now.
The thread is soooo informative.
If u have time one spare weekend.try rewinding.new mamas u will learn alot.
For example do u know washing ir babies hair with soap daily will cause d hair to be strong by d time shes sixmonths n above cause u have stripped d hair of dir natural oils.
Mama zoey iomoge2 take note oooo.
Had to stop mine immediately.

Shoutout to all mamas.
Please maybe u guys should do a refresher course for us one of this days. From haircare to skincare.God bless u all.

For weaning mamas like me or abt to wean.
I found dis link somewhere down dis thread.

It helps.
http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/solidfood4to6montholdbaby.htm

Aiit takia everybody

4 Likes

Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rofemiguwa(f): 11:55am On Nov 17, 2016
helovesme:

She is sixmonths plus
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Tojued: 12:27pm On Nov 17, 2016
rofemiguwa:
So couple of weeks ago i went down memorylane on this thread grin
It was fun.i remember seeing onegai announce her entry around jul lastyr i tink.
Nita2013,bosslady
Those were the ghenghen mamas den.

Shoutout to u all now.
The thread is soooo informative.
If u have time one spare weekend.try rewinding.new mamas u will learn alot.
For example do u know washing ir babies hair with soap daily will cause d hair to be strong by d time shes sixmonths n above cause u have stripped d hair of dir natural oils.
Mama zoey iomoge2 take note oooo.
Had to stop mine immediately.

Shoutout to all mamas.
Please maybe u guys should do a refresher course for us one of this days. From haircare to skincare.God bless u all.

For weaning mamas like me or abt to wean.
I found dis link somewhere down dis thread.

It helps.
http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/solidfood4to6montholdbaby.htm

Aiit takia everybody

Hmm but when i stopped washing daily, he had cradle cap. Was so embarrassing because none of my grandmother's offspring have ever had cradle cap. Na only me wey one come form oyinbo natural hair tins for my pikin. In short its shampoo I now use.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 12:33pm On Nov 17, 2016
Tojued:

Hmm but when i stopped washing daily, he had cradle cap. Was so embarrassing because none of my grandmother's offspring have ever had cradle cap. Na only me wey one come form oyinbo natural hair tins for my pikin. In short its shampoo I now use.

Anoint with oil, leave to soak in, then comb out gently. I learnt that here when we had Cradle cap. That's why I recommend the Search.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Zheemub(f): 12:50pm On Nov 17, 2016
Thanks rofemiguwa. Was about to ask about the strong hair ish.
My ds hair is strong and dry.
What can one do to rectify it?
Cc: onegai
AlphaHandMaiden
Helovesme and sabi mamas
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by rofemiguwa(f): 12:51pm On Nov 17, 2016
Tojued:

U are to was with shampoo once a week den other days jus use water.
Abi mummy onegai.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by imurboss: 1:15pm On Nov 17, 2016
mumsgirl27:

Amen....Thanks mama for your suggestion, should complan milk be used as her daily milk or I should she she take it once daily.

Yes, you can either make it as her daily milk or make her take it once daily,the major thing is to include it in her diet. You will notice the change gradually,just continue giving her......thank me later grin
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Tojued: 2:18pm On Nov 17, 2016
Onegai:

Anoint with oil, leave to soak in, then comb out gently. I learnt that here when we had Cradle cap. That's why I recommend the Search.

I may have been part of that conversation because that was the solution that worked. The cradle cap went in less than a week, and now I wash daily. I was only sharing my experience of when I stopped washing his hair twice a day and how it led to cradle cap.

With the way my grandma embarrassed me, i'd rather risk him having strong hair by daily washing than have a recurrence of cradle cap @rofemiguwa. Thank God he's a boy self, make hair strong if e like, we're cutting it at six months.

Does hair being strong not have anything to do with genetics? as per hair type. I'm 4c, hubby is 4c, so i don't expect my son to have 2a type of hair. The guy has already inherited male pattern baldness from me self.
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by princessG35: 2:22pm On Nov 17, 2016
rofemiguwa:
U guys r scaring me. I don soak ogi order mitchy soya.n
Now una sey e no good.
Abeg wetin i git give my pikin chop.

She can't be taking only frisogold na.

Abeg help a FTM mama weaning a baby
My dear am in the same boat with u, am so confused on this pap issue now
Re: NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!! by Onegai(f): 3:07pm On Nov 17, 2016
Tojued:

I may have been part of that conversation because that was the solution that worked. The cradle cap went in less than a week, and now I wash daily. I was only sharing my experience of when I stopped washing his hair twice a day and how it led to cradle cap.

With the way my grandma embarrassed me, i'd rather risk him having strong hair by daily washing than have a recurrence of cradle cap @rofemiguwa. Thank God he's a boy self, make hair strong if e like, we're cutting it at six months.

Does hair being strong not have anything to do with genetics? as per hair type. I'm 4c, hubby is 4c, so i don't expect my son to have 2a type of hair. The guy has already inherited male pattern baldness from me self.

I believe Cradle cap is made worse by dryness. The only shampoo the dermatologist would recommend was Sebamed during that time and it took a while to work. Oil worked faster. And shampoo is drying. I have type 4 hair but I have seen so many type 4 hairs that are soft and manageable because they moisturise constantly and are using the right products for their hair. Mothers of young babies don't usually have time to deep con, prepoo, spritz daily and so much. Though I'm trying to improve.

As an aside, I really really hate when I ask those Natural Hair Gurus what products they would recommend and they smugly reply "it's different for everyone, you have to try everything and see what works". I'm usually like "Bissshhh do I look like I have the time and money to be spending buying your entire store and helping you earn money reading your blog, before you hand me a bottle of the right conditioner? What is the point of typing my hair if you won't advise me what others with my hair type use??"

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (717) (718) (719) (720) (721) (722) (723) ... (2516) (Reply)

Trying To Conceive A Child? TTC / Pregnancy Are You Pregnant Or Going Through A High Risk Pregnancy,,lets Talk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.