Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,511 members, 7,978,705 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 12:45 PM

Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos (13065 Views)

APC Hails Inko-tariah’s Courage In “dumping Wike’s Sinking Ship” / Ribadu - Nigeria’s Sinking Ship And The Way Forward / Lagos State Is Sinking In A Sea Of Debt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by HighChief4(m): 12:18pm On Jun 28, 2012
Honestly, Lagosians are suffering. I thought they said Fashola was working.
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by Imagineers: 12:32pm On Jun 28, 2012
New Orleans!!!!!
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jun 28, 2012
High_Chief: Honestly, Lagosians are suffering. I thought they said Fashola was working.
Stop blaming Fashola . Its not his fault that the crazy city is located below sea level( geographers back me up on this willya). Truth is Mother nature is tired of the crazy place and wants 2 do away with the place 1ce and 4 all.
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by ochallo: 12:39pm On Jun 28, 2012
people should be aware, this flood keeps getting worse each year and people keep building houses below sea level by the time eko atlantic takes off, the whole of lagos would become river
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by tnktosin(m): 12:54pm On Jun 28, 2012
Mehn, see flood.
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by omosexy1: 12:55pm On Jun 28, 2012
Babzilla:
Stop blaming Fashola . Its not his fault that the crazy city is located below sea level( geographers back me up on this willya). Truth is Mother nature is tired of the crazy place and wants 2 do away with the place 1ce and 4 all.

Look at this man talking. Is Cape Town not below sea level, is there no water in barcelona, is Venice not surrounded by water, is Florida not close to the ocean? I am not blaming him for all the previous commotions in Lagos but for christ sake he is the chief executive officer of Lagos state and he has prior knowledge that Lagos is close to the ocean and there would be flood during rainfalls. Rather, they carried out their eye service operations as usual by destroying a few houses and we no hear again. Lagos has a plan just like Abuja, Fashola should return back to that master plan and re-organise Lagos if he thinks he wants to make Lagos a mega-city. Thank God for El-rufai else Abuja would have been a mess. It can be done in Lagos, people will cry in the short-term but be happier later just like Abuja residents are happy now but they previously threatened, they cried, they swore, but they are happy now.

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by yemmight(m): 1:03pm On Jun 28, 2012
High_Chief: Honestly, Lagosians are suffering. I thought they said Fashola was working.

No, Fashola is not working. He's sleeping. So you can stop flood totally in Lagos abi?
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by goldng: 1:06pm On Jun 28, 2012
Wahala dey oh!
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by Reference(m): 1:14pm On Jun 28, 2012
stepo707: @ mukina2 which area is that with people paddling with canoe. grin

That looks like Venice.
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by omosexy1: 1:17pm On Jun 28, 2012
When people say fashola is working, I ask how? Show me facts, show me proof, how is Lagos working? Did fashola generate jobs in Lagos (I don't think so apart from the useless corrupt LASTMA). Did fashola provide water in your house (I don't think so, people have boreholes). Did fashola provide you with a home (that na long thing, even federal government cannot achieve that), Did fashola reduce traffic in Lagos (hmmmm, he open traffic radio, what a gimmick). Did fashola take out the so many diseases in the state (hoodlums, tanker drivers, bus drivers, okada riders, tricycles riders) no he did not do that because, the disease generate money for him. Fashola's specialty is road construction, not only him, all governors that is their specialty. When I scream that our politicians and leaders are not visionary, people no dey hear. Lagos used to be better back in the days and I can vividly say at this rate Lagos in 2012 will be better than Lagos in 2013 or 2015. I have never seen a mad city like this Lagos before, where people abandon pedestrian bridge and start strolling along EXPRESS ROAD (Jesus). Where people decide not to take a shop and move their wares to the road and even the local government and state government turn a blind eye to that disease outbreak, before you know you have a market on the ROAD. A city where traffic wardens do not assist drivers but pray incessantly that drivers break traffic rules or make mistake. A city where people abandon safety precautions, jump on top of okada and start traveling to Ogun state on express road. WHAT A MAD PLACE. Everywhere in Lagos is a ghetto, V.I, Ikoyi, VGC, Lekki are typical middle class ghettos like the type in Jo'Burg and Cape Town.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by Reference(m): 1:24pm On Jun 28, 2012
omosexy1: When people say fashola is working, I ask how? Show me facts, show me proof, how is Lagos working? Did fashola generate jobs in Lagos (I don't think so apart from the useless corrupt LASTMA). Did fashola provide water in your house (I don't think so, people have boreholes). Did fashola provide you with a home (that na long thing, even federal government cannot achieve that), Did fashola reduce traffic in Lagos (hmmmm, he open traffic radio, what a gimmick). Did fashola take out the so many diseases in the state (hoodlums, tanker drivers, bus drivers, okada riders, tricycles riders) no he did not do that because, the disease generate money for him. Fashola's specialty is road construction, not only him, all governors that is their specialty. When I scream that our politicians and leaders are not visionary, people no dey hear. Lagos used to be better back in the days and I can vividly say at this rate Lagos in 2012 will be better than Lagos in 2013 or 2015. I have never seen a mad city like this Lagos before, where people abandon pedestrian bridge and start strolling along EXPRESS ROAD (Jesus). Where people decide not to take a shop and move their wares to the road and even the local government and state government turn a blind eye to that disease outbreak, before you know you have a market on the ROAD. A city where traffic wardens do not assist drivers but pray incessantly that drivers break traffic rules or make mistake. A city where people abandon safety precautions, jump on top of okada and start traveling to Ogun state on express road. WHAT A MAD PLACE. Everywhere in Lagos is a ghetto, V.I, Ikoyi, VGC, Lekki are typical middle class ghettos like the type in Jo'Burg and Cape Town.

These are pseudo cultural things you point out not necessarily issues of leadership or governance. Fashola can change Lagos not Lagosians.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by omosexy1: 1:40pm On Jun 28, 2012
Reference:

These are pseudo cultural things you point out not necessarily issues of leadership or governance. Fashola can change Lagos not Lagosians.

I did not say Fashola is responsible for some madness displayed by Lagosians but he can do something, that is why there is a State House of Assembly that can enact laws to make it a crime to stroll along an express road rather than use pedestrian bridge or establish a market on the road. Make is a crime to break traffic laws, make it a crime to be homeless and sleep under bridges. Make it a crime for people who defecate in the street or litter the street. Remove the social miscreants on the street and under the bridges, break down houses that are illegally constructed or houses not in the master plan. Build low-cost houses, just like his predecessor Jakande (abeg but not that style again) and ensure people can own these houses. Establish markets based on the master plan and make it a crime for an individual to erect any market without prior knowledge of the state. Create a system of governance that can thrive. Establish good schools that can compete with private schools. Please the man should be visionary, he should think and evolve with time. What he is practicing is old-school politics and governance (I build road today, I carry media show them for TV, I repaint school I show them for TV). Now look at all the sectors in Lagos economy and you tell me if Fashola is bloody working or Lagos is gradually deteriorating. What a shame. His mates in even Ghana are becoming more environmental conscious.
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jun 28, 2012
omosexy1: .

Look at this man talking. Is Cape Town not below sea level, is there no water in barcelona, is Venice not surrounded by water, is Florida not close to the ocean? I am not blaming him for all the previous commotions in Lagos but for christ sake he is the chief executive officer of Lagos state and he has prior knowledge that Lagos is close to the ocean and there would be flood during rainfalls. Rather, they carried out their eye service operations as usual by destroying a few houses and we no hear again. Lagos has a plan just like Abuja, Fashola should return back to that master plan and re-organise Lagos if he thinks he wants to make Lagos a mega-city. Thank God for El-rufai else Abuja would have been a mess. It can be done in Lagos, people will cry in the short-term but be happier later just like Abuja residents are happy now but they previously threatened, they cried, they swore, but they are happy now.

Hey Mr. just 4get about that master plan cos even if it exists its not feasible. Where are U gonna relocate all the n excess crazy people? Look abuja worked cos its not as populated as Lagos.
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by fm7070: 2:01pm On Jun 28, 2012
People should stop blaming leaders when issues arise.
I know how much both Lagos state and federal government tried to clear several drainages and canals before the rain.
At least, I saw the FGN doing the Abeokuta Express way and many others done by the state government.
What about those people throwing pure water nylon and waste into the rain??
Lagos is congested, let people begin to go back to their state of origin or other states if they don't have substantial business in Lagos.
That is what Fashola is saying indirectly.
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by blacklion(m): 2:06pm On Jun 28, 2012
omosexy1:

Remove the social miscreants on the street and under the bridges...

Fashola can't do anything about Lagos area boys. They are the foot soldiers of his master, Tinubu, and they are needed to rig elections.
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by omosexy1: 3:23pm On Jun 28, 2012
blacklion:

Fashola can't do anything about Lagos area boys. They are the foot soldiers of his master, Tinubu, and they are needed to rig elections.

Then lets declare Lagos a doomed state
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by Demdem(m): 3:30pm On Jun 28, 2012
I must confess, Fashola simply needs to do more no doubt.
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by mbulela: 3:44pm On Jun 28, 2012

He does not have the guts to do what is needed (due you know the curses El-Rufai is labouring under for all the demolitions he did? Besides that needed in Lagos is even more comprehensive). It takes balls of stell, which i doubt he has.
secondly, Lagosians do not help themselves. Go to Orile road and see how world class drainages on a road still under construction has been destroyed with refuse by traders. The drainage is completely blocked. Soon that road will begin flooding (if it has not already). Will you still blame Fashola for that?
The level of filthiness is Lagos is second to none.If cleanliness is next to Godliness,then Lagos is a Godless city.
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by auwal87(m): 3:45pm On Jun 28, 2012
This would have been a breaking news and headline feature if it happens in the US or other non-African country.
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by mbulela: 3:46pm On Jun 28, 2012
omosexy1:

Then lets declare Lagos a doomed state
When you have not declared Nigeria a doomed nation?
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by omosexy1: 3:47pm On Jun 28, 2012
fm7070: People should stop blaming leaders when issues arise.
I know how much both Lagos state and federal government tried to clear several drainages and canals before the rain.
At least, I saw the FGN doing the Abeokuta Express way and many others done by the state government.
What about those people throwing pure water nylon and waste into the rain??
Lagos is congested, let people begin to go back to their state of origin or other states if they don't have substantial business in Lagos.
That is what Fashola is saying indirectly.

Thank God I dont insult people. When you have a problem what do you do about it. You try to resolve it my friend and not look at it. Take a clue from Japan, look at how they were able to resolve the earthquake disaster and quickly got back on their feet. Do you know in Japan, toodlers in public schools are taught what to do in the event of an earthquake (a country that has identify its problems and seeking ways to address it). I hear Lagos is congested, it is, because every dick, tom and harry can come and reside. I do not say the state govt should restrict people from coming to lagos but a smart leader can do something about it. Look at Abuja, the city is meant for all and sundry but before you think of residing there you go count your pocket well. it is not a place for hoodlums, touts, clueless people or madmen roaming the street or market women who think there is gold littering the streets of abuja. The city has been clearly defined. People run away from Abuja because they cannot cope. In business terms, I like to call it market segmentation. Lagos is a failed state to me because it has deteriorated to a point of no repair, probably the reason why the idea of Eko Atlantic was supported by the state govt. The governor cannot sit down and strategize or surround himself with strategists who can come up with ideas to solve each of Lagos problems. Maybe what we see as problems may not be problems to Fashola. These are the things that make a leader outstanding and differentiate him from the pack. Our leaders must go to leadership school and study about leadership. A big reason I respect Ribadu, El-rufai e.t.c(men who revolutionarize and distinguished themselves). To me, the rest are ignorant, dumped, pocket politicians parading our streets. Fashola is working my foot.
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by omosexy1: 3:48pm On Jun 28, 2012
mbulela:
When you have not declared Nigeria a doomed nation?

Nigeria is already doomed and sinking. Don't you know that already.
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by mbulela: 3:55pm On Jun 28, 2012
omosexy1:

Nigeria is already doomed and sinking. Don't you know that already.
then, you are in order.
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by omosexy1: 4:01pm On Jun 28, 2012
mbulela:
He does not have the guts to do what is needed (due you know the curses El-Rufai is labouring under for all the demolitions he did? Besides that needed in Lagos is even more comprehensive). It takes balls of stell, which i doubt he has.
secondly, Lagosians do not help themselves. Go to Orile road and see how world class drainages on a road still under construction has been destroyed with refuse by traders. The drainage is completely blocked. Soon that road will begin flooding (if it has not already). Will you still blame Fashola for that?
The level of filthiness is Lagos is second to none.If cleanliness is next to Godliness,then Lagos is a Godless city.

I will blame him. The initial plan was to chase all the marketers from Suru Alaba. He tried, the marketers refused, he ignored them because he probably felt it would affect his 2nd term ambition, for christ sake that market is illegal, it is situated on the road and should not be there. No, Fashola turned a blind eye to that fact, because his touts are collecting taxes from the market women and men. You see the disease I am talking about, why won't the drainage be blocked, already a sign of failure from his specialty (road construction). I attended a security forum meeting with Fashola last year and the guy was assuring us that he will curb the irresponsiblity of okada riders and ensure they obey traffic rules and if they don't, the wrath of the law will fall on them, possibly a ban (he quoted that too). We were estatic and clapping, even the commissioner of police was grimming. What happened next, okada drivers continue to disobey traffic laws, continue to rob us (day light and at night),huge influx of chadians continue to flow into lagos because of the thriving okada business and nothing has been done to them. Now somebody will stand up, smile and tell me Fashola is working and Lagos no go spoil. Hmmmmmm
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by omosexy1: 4:31pm On Jun 28, 2012
Some people will think I am out to witch-hunt Fashola, No I am not a politcian, nor do I support any party, I didn't not even register because I don't understand our political parties. They only thing they know how to say is when I enter I will provide you with good roads, water, education, power (even state governors tell their people they will provide power when they have not even sat down to look at the problem, some of them don't even know that there is a national grid), security (when the police is centrally administered from Abuja), housing (when the mortgage industry is practically dead). Nigerians you see how we are easily deceived. First, our leaders do not know how to identify a problem, they randomly speak. Jonathan sat in Abuja and said he will squash Boko Haram by June and the man has not even visited Borno state and ascertain the level of damage in the place and feel the pains of the victims. Let me leave Jonathan. Questions Lagosians should be asking the next governor-to-be in 2015 should be - How do you intend to reduce the traffic situation in Lagos, how you do intend to curb the menace of okada drivers, how do you intend resolve the touts that litter our street, how do you intend to revive the public schools in lagos, how do you intend to curb the lawlessness in lagos, how do you intend to curb flooding in lagos, how do you intend to boost investment in lagos, how do you intend to generate income in lagos (and not solely depend on national handouts from abuja), how do you intend to ensure that there is a transparent tax system in lagos and ensure that all individuals pay and track their tax remits, how would road repairs and maintenance be administer. These are a few questions, a leader who is visionary would answer them but a clueless one would be confused.
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by bisi16(m): 4:43pm On Jun 28, 2012
Its no longer a question of weda Fashola&Lagos is working.. D rain was much. I'll still give him credit any day. Back in days, it was worse.
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by omosexy1: 4:51pm On Jun 28, 2012
bisi16:
Its no longer a question of weda Fashola&Lagos is working.. D rain was much. I'll still give him credit any day. Back in days, it was worse.

Depends on the days you are talking about. Maybe you were not born when Lagos was actually a mega city before the military neglected it. A reason IBB ran to Abuja to set up the capital. When you are used to a disease you no longer see it as a disease but as a norm.
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jun 28, 2012

You are making sense. I like the way you reason.

We can't cheat nature. But the average black man is so self centered and short sighted and does not understand that. Cutting down trees and building houses hear and there without thinking of the environment and future.

Desperate times calls for desperate measures. Lagos can learn from the cities you mentioned above including Netherlands.

A lot of people are in denial. Something needs to be done before the floods gets worse and begin to claim many lives. The worst of all is the lack of infastructure in case of emergency like helicopters and so on to aid and rescue people.

For a start, warri, PH, calabar, dredging of river niger and also bayelsa ports should be in service. This will decongest lagos and give much room for its rehabilitation.

Lagosians should also be responsible for once in their lives.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jun 28, 2012
mukina2: Surulere

Gademmit!!
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jun 28, 2012

Depends on the days you are talking about. Maybe you were not born when Lagos was actually a mega city before the military neglected it. A reason IBB ran to Abuja to set up the capital. When you are used to a disease you no longer see it as a disease but as a norm.
[quote author=omosexy1].

Homie the plan to relocate the capital of nigeria had been in place since the days of Murtala.
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by brabus(m): 5:33pm On Jun 28, 2012

What have you done in your area to assist them government? Remember, Fashola didn't build those houses on carnal.

Where do you want him to put the marketers in Alaba Suru? Alausa Secretariat or Govt House?
Were you so blind to see the Modern Tejuoso market? Isn't that befitting?

Disease my foot
Re: Share Your Lagos Sinking Photos by nodullin(m): 5:55pm On Jun 28, 2012
I took this pix yesterday... When I passed there (orile) this morning it was worse off.
S0S

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NNPC Appoints Garba-Deen Mohammed As Spokesperson / Cynicism Trails Ogoni Cleanup After Ceremonial Flag Off / Osun 2018: Buhari, APC South West Stakeholders Meet In Aso Rock

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.