Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,243 members, 7,970,871 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 05:00 PM

A Case For Urbanization - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Case For Urbanization (1346 Views)

Nigeria 55th Independence Anniversary: A Case For Better Nigeria / Photos: Udom Emmanuel Commences Urbanization Of Oro Nation / PHOTOS: 10 Billion US Dollars- A Case For The Hidden PwC Audit Report. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Case For Urbanization by Nebeuwa(m): 2:22am On Jun 29, 2012
Before you all start complaining that urbanization is not good for Nigeria, hear me out.

I am of the opinion that cities are engines of economic growth. For the first time in human history, more than half of the world's population will reside in cities. The majority of the wealth in the world is created in cities. Cities drive national and regional economies. An example of this is Lagos.

Some people may complain that cities like Lagos are overcrowded and that is true. That is why I am of the opinion that the Nigerian FG should foster growth in other regional cities such as Kano, Port Harcourt, Warri and Onitsha. All of these cities have the characteristics of becoming engines of economic growth for Nigeria.

Nigeria's future is not in its countryside and village, but within cities. As the Harvard Economist, Edward Glasser stated in his book, Triumph of the City, " poor people flock to cities because that's where the money is, and cities produce more because the absence of space between people reduces the cost of transporting goods, people, and ideas.

Successful cities "increase the returns to being smart" by enabling people to learn from one another. In cities with higher average education, even the uneducated earn higher wages; that's evidence of "human capital spillover."

When I look at Lagos, I see a city brimming with opportunities and growth. The same goes for Warri, Onitsha, Kano and Port Harcourt.

Re: A Case For Urbanization by DaLover(m): 1:20pm On Jun 29, 2012
Its a lot cheaper to provide common services for people in in cities, roads, water, telecommunications, transport services etc it makes a lot of sense....
Even though we are gradually moving away from rural areas to urban areas, most of us still refuse to openly accept it...we still believe rigidly in ties to our rural areas...well I feel this may have to do with citizinship and settler issues that are still prevalant on nigeria, of which the root cause in in governments monthly alllocation of funds...

Note the responsibility for delopment of cities in nigeria is the responsibility of states and not the federal government
Re: A Case For Urbanization by ektbear: 5:23am On Jul 02, 2012
I don't think there is really any argument *against* urbanization.

And more importantly, even if there is one, people are voting with their feet in favor of urbanization.
Re: A Case For Urbanization by slimming: 3:38pm On Jul 06, 2012
Nigeria will get there if the rate of corruption reduced, then development will come in.
Re: A Case For Urbanization by Nebeuwa(m): 7:57pm On Jul 31, 2012
Cities will continue to grow in Nigeria. But there is a need for population distribution.

The great thing about cities is its diversity. Diversity needs to be maintained.

(1) (Reply)

Onitsha Port....and The Abracadabra Of 29 Years Continues In Earnest / State Police: Good Or Bad / Man Beats Wife For Refusing Him Sex In Children Presence, Gets 14 Days Jail Term

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.