Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,745 members, 7,965,804 topics. Date: Thursday, 03 October 2024 at 09:36 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (145) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1847276 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) ... (714) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:09am On Sep 09, 2013
Nightshift: Where are these radio stations located in Enugu?
solid fm(owned by dora akunyili) is at salvage crecent, GRA while dream fm (owned by ike ekweremadu) is at bank avenue. dream fm is far better than solid fm buh enungu peeps still miss cosmo fm, I personally would do anything possible to bring back the station. no station in nigeria was close to cosmo fm in terms of entertainment, audio graphics, presentation, youth empowerment etc

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:14am On Sep 09, 2013
thanks for the update, joeluv!! more flash to your camera cheesy
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by WarriPikin1: 12:40am On Sep 09, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^This rural road is simply beautiful!....though they shouldn't forget the road markings to complete it. It's even got street lights as a bonus!

Can anyone post pics of Enugu urban? It's been more than a year now since we last got updates.....just want to see if they've maintained the high standards of environmental sanitation which was lacking about the time Chime went for a medical trip. And I hope the roads he built in the first two years of his administration are being maintained.

We've not yet seen much of what the Governor has done in education, health and agriculture, but going by what's shown thus far i have to say i'm impressed with the quality and scope of work shown; i'll grade him 75% on this! smiley

What Enugu needs so badly is using trees and flowers along the major roads to make it a truly green city. I know Enugu already has trees and flowers better than most Nigerian cities, but more should be planted to bring it at par with what is obtainable in European cities and indeed real African cities such as Nairobi,Abuja, Calabar or Harare.

Again, i was informed today that Enugu airport has the shortest runway of international airports in Nigeria.
Abuja=3.70km (extendable to 5.2 km)
Lagos=4.2 km (extendable to 6.0 km)
PH= 3.4km (extendable to 5.5 km)
Kano= 3.65km (extendable to 6.2 km)
Enugu=3.10km (extendable to ?)

The government of Enugu state must immediately put a freeze on further developments around the airport area which is bound to boom now. They should also secure more land in front of the runway,should an extension be needs soon. They should also ban any building higher than a bungalow around the airport for safety reasons. All these measures need to be taken now because the Enugu airport unlike the other international airports is located in the middle of a thriving Emene town. So managing housing development in the immediate vicinity of the airport to guarantee safety of especially large airplanes such as Boeing 747s and airbus A340 landing and taking off from Enugu International must be a priority now. if not, land speculators will only concentrate on buying up all the land around the airport needed for future runway extension and build hotels and tall building which will make air crashes frequent at the airport.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:46am On Sep 09, 2013
^^
I thought the int'l runway at MMIA was 3.9km? Maybe it's been expanded.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by WarriPikin1: 1:09am On Sep 09, 2013
CFCfan: ^^
I thought the int'l runway at MMIA was 3.9km? Maybe it's been expanded.

Maybe it was extended, however these figures are the total length (ie including the unmarked extensions at the end of the runway). Which are safety requirement in case a disabled airplane declares an emergency landing and somehow cannot land properly and thus require a longer runway to stop safely. 3KM is more than enough length for any size of NORMAL plane to take off and land safely.

Also Enugu is the only international airport in Nigeria without a taxi-way. The new Kaduna airport, also has a taxi-way. If the airport gets busier, it will be harder to allow planes land and take off quickly since the runway itself is used as a taxiway in Enugu and the plane turns at the end of the runway as in domestic airports.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ujoinme: 1:17am On Sep 09, 2013
Warri _Pikin:

What Enugu needs so badly is using trees and flowers along the major roads to make it a truly green city. I know Enugu already has trees and flowers better than most Nigerian cities, but more should be planted to bring it at par with what is obtainable in European cities and indeed real African cities such as Nairobi,Abuja, Calabar or Harare.

Again, i was informed today that Enugu airport has the shortest runway of international airports in Nigeria.
Abuja=3.70km (extendable to 5.2 km)
Lagos=4.2 km (extendable to 6.0 km)
PH= 3.4km (extendable to 5.5 km)
Kano= 3.65km (extendable to 6.2 km)
Enugu=3.10km (extendable to ?)

The government of Enugu state must immediately put a freeze on further developments around the airport area which is bound to boom now. They should also secure more land in front of the runway,should an extension be needs soon. They should also ban any building higher than a bungalow around the airport for safety reasons. All these measures need to be taken now because the Enugu airport unlike the other international airports is located in the middle of a thriving Emene town. So managing housing development in the immediate vicinity of the airport to guarantee safety of especially large airplanes such as Boeing 747s and airbus A340 landing and taking off from Enugu International must be a priority now. if not, land speculators will only concentrate on buying up all the land around the airport needed for future runway extension and build hotels and tall building which will make air crashes frequent at the airport.

point of correction the nigerian airport runway length are as follows:
Abuja direction 04/22 length 3,609 m or 11,842 ft
lagos direction 18R/36L length 3,900 m or 12,794 ft
direction 18L/36R length 2743 m or 8,999 ft
Port harcourt direction 03/21 length 3,001 m or 9,846 ft
Kano direction 05/23 length 2,451 m or 8040 ft
direction 06/24 length 3,301m or 10,831ft
Enugu direction 08/26 length 3,000m or 9,843ft
source FAAN
Uyo direction 08/26 length 3,600m 0r 11,800 ft width 60 m + reinforced shoulders designed for widest body aircrafts.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by WarriPikin1: 1:22am On Sep 09, 2013
ujoinme:

source FAAN

That is the marked part. Anyway,how long is the Katsina airport runway? just asking..
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 1:24am On Sep 09, 2013
The authorities concerned need to construct a taxiway at the Enugu airport ASAP! Even in the newish Uyo airport, a taxiway is being constructed.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ujoinme: 1:30am On Sep 09, 2013
Warri _Pikin:

That is the marked part. Anyway,how long is the Katsina airport runway? just asking..
Katsina direction 04/22 length 3,032m or 9,947ft
the lengths provided are the accurate lengths of the runways in nigeria. FAAN wont lie about their facility.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 1:42am On Sep 09, 2013
Warri _Pikin:

Maybe it was extended, however these figures are the total length (ie including the unmarked extensions at the end of the runway). Which are safety requirement in case a disabled airplane declares an emergency landing and somehow cannot land properly and thus require a longer runway to stop safely. 3KM is more than enough length for any size of NORMAL plane to take off and land safely.

Also Enugu is the only international airport in Nigeria without a taxi-way. The new Kaduna airport, also has a taxi-way. If the airport gets busier, it will be harder to allow planes land and take off quickly since the runway itself is used as a taxiway in Enugu and the plane turns at the end of the runway as in domestic airports.

^^^If all this is true, it makes you wonder what the hell they were doing when they spent billions and closed the airport about 3 years ago for upgrade! It's so annoying when they do these things without keeping an eye on future expansion.

Maybe land issues with the 'locals' was the cause (i think there are still lingering issues on that), as i can't fathom why they couldn't use the time the airport was closed for 'proper' international runway expansion since they knew the airport was going to be upgraded for int'l flight!

We like doing things by half-measures in this country!

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 1:46am On Sep 09, 2013
ujoinme:

source FAAN
Uyo direction 08/26 length 3,600m 0r 11,800 ft width 60 m with reinforced shoulders designed for widest body aircrafts.

^^^So Warri_pikin, where did you get your own information from? undecided
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 1:50am On Sep 09, 2013
CFCfan: The authorities concerned need to construct a taxiway at the Enugu airport ASAP! Even in the newish Uyo airport, a taxiway is being constructed.

^^^They can't be seen to be spending too much money on Enugu, or else you know who will start complaining saying that the Aviation Minister is favouring Enugu airport over their own! They've already accused her of favouritism and tribalism.....you can expect they're watching her every move like a hawk!

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ujoinme: 2:55am On Sep 09, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^They can't be seen to be spending too much money on Enugu, or else you know who will start complaining saying that the Aviation Minister is favouring Enugu airport over their own! They've already accused her of favouritism and tribalism.....you can expect they're watching her every move like a hawk!

Detractors will say whatever they want to say, she should be bold and do the right thing by building a taxiway @ enugu airport to give it a befitting intl' status both lagos and kano have 2 runways complete with taxiways. so one standard runway with taxiway for enugu is not doing too much.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 3:00am On Sep 09, 2013
ujoinme:

Detractors will say whatever they want to say, she should be bold and do the right thing by building a taxiway @ enugu airport to give it a befitting intl' status both lagos and kano have 2 runways complete with taxiways. so one standard runway with taxiway for enugu is not doing too much.

According to the PW Group Website a taxi way is being constructed as part of the runway expansion project: http://www.pwlimited.com/Projects.aspx?PID=86

I think it will lead to the new international terminal building

Please when last where you at Enugu?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by londoner: 3:24am On Sep 09, 2013
asha 80: your pic does not justify what you wrote.

Lol...Asha, I think the poster is trying to (slyly) suggest the airport is insignificant by saying it has no international passengers.

He does not realise that the airport was not built with just foreigners in mind. We dont need to see white and asian faces to feel like we matter....lol
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChimaAdeoye: 3:48am On Sep 09, 2013
onye_okwu: My Igbo brothers we should ignore Chino or whatever he call himself, his view does not represent the anambra people
i am from anambra but i consider my self igbo first before all these sates that were handed to us by hausa fulnis and their bedfellow.
Before the Biafra war the word ndi anambra or ndi imo did not exist in Igbo word or regarded as people
we only had omabara river or imo river but never regarded as people
Please my brothers we should be wise as serpent and know when enemy is in our midst, i believe some of us are not new here on nairaland, we all knows how the enemy or the paid agents had been trying to divide us and cause disunity among us
Chino and abagworo are paid agents to cause disunity among us and they are doing their job very well
they are serving the same master
A word is enough for the wise

Ala Owerri mamma omara ndiigbo nine
Ala Onitcha mamma omara ndiigbo nine
Ala Enugu mamma omara ndiigbo nine

LET US JOIN HANDS TOGETHER AND LIFT IGBO LAND

Dalu unu umunne

God bless Igbo land cool

Bros,
You know, i have read all the bashings here and found that Chino didn't start this problem. He probably felt the need to defend his state from unprovoked calumny from "other" fellow igbo.Chino might really not be the trouble.We must learn to accept our fellow Igbo and really stop ganging up against Anambra people.Exactly the type of unreasonable gang up against Nigerians by "fellow" Africans, yet Nigeria is the first to donate to their causes and volunteer troops to help keep peace in their war-torn lands. I have often marvelled why no yoruba ever bad mouths Lagos,yet they have been deported back to Osun from Lagos!

Yet, Anambra that has made it obvious that every Igbo is welcome to feel at home and resisted the clamor to sack Abians working in Anambra schools and university after Orji sacked their citizens is the one constantly barraged by other Igbo?
It is really sad to see fellow Igbo people gang up against Anambra people for some perceived complex or phobia which is far from reality.I do think it has something to do with jealousy.

Did it even occur to anyone here that Princess Stella Odua is from Anambra, yet she put in all her reputation and even the risk of losing her job to counter all those who had secretly frustrated the Enugu Intl. from taking off? If that airport had been in Awka, i suspect most of our "fellow" Igbos here will even join ofenmanu people to frustrate it in their myopic thinking that they are helping to under develop Anambra! Without knowing they are actually shooting themselves in the leg.

Even though Nigeria's oil fields are located well outside their land, a major Nigerian tribe, which i have privilege of marrying into have offered everyone who spoke the language free education and have helped themselves to dominate the economy and Nigeria's oil industry purely by employing only their brothers and sisters.No matter how much others have barked or protested,they have brushed aside the criticism and continued unperturbed to be their own brothers' keepers. The Igbo must become wise or perish in it's pettiness and divisive foolish individualism.We must begin to learn how to become our brother's keeper and complement each others talent rather than constitute a stumbling block. Or we shall surely perish together for our foolishness under our persecutors wicked design, by constantly making ourselves willing tools in implementing their wicked design against the prosperity of Igbo in Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by passion007: 5:46am On Sep 09, 2013
Warri _Pikin:

They should also ban any building higher than a bungalow around the airport for safety reasons. All these measures need to be taken now because the Enugu airport unlike the other international airports is located in the middle of a thriving Emene town. So managing housing development in the immediate vicinity of the airport to guarantee safety of especially large airplanes such as Boeing 747s and airbus A340 landing and taking off from Enugu International must be a priority now. if not, land speculators will only concentrate on buying up all the land around the airport needed for future runway extension and build hotels and tall building which will make air crashes frequent at the airport.
I believe a ban like that is already in place and being implemented. At Thinker's Corner, just adjacent to Emene, no house is allowed to more than 2 storeys high for reasons bordering on airspace security.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by henrychubayo: 9:14am On Sep 09, 2013
What is happening to the Flights to Enugu? Seems since friday, no flights has landed. Tracked it today and no flight yet. Did they change their time of departure?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by soma042(m): 9:23am On Sep 09, 2013
soma042: i decided to share these lil picture to my brothers and sisters that are in Diaspora especially those that like hanging out in a natural atmospheric environment or a quiet place to cool over the stress of life, that protea hotel aka NIKELAKE result hotel has all the natural endowment to make your outing down to the eastern part of the country a perfect destination.
Protea hotel is located in a community in Nkwo Nike, in Enugu off the city center. the location was choosing becouse of the environmental calmness and the water that surrounds it.
The lake is usually known for its neat nature, though at the time i took this pics, it has been raining for almost two weeks here, thats was the reason why the color of the water seems to have changed a bit.

more

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by feelamong(m): 12:01pm On Sep 09, 2013
henrychubayo: What is happening to the Flights to Enugu? Seems since friday, no flights has landed. Tracked it today and no flight yet. Did they change their time of departure?

Ask Stella!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ubomez2yahooc: 12:11pm On Sep 09, 2013
Henrychubayo, I also have noticed that there seems to be a problem somewhere but I cannot say exactly what it is. I have phoned the Ethiopian Airline office at the Polo Park Mall but no response as the line is always engaged.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by feelamong(m): 12:13pm On Sep 09, 2013
ubomez2@yahoo.c:
Henrychubayo, I also have noticed that there seems to be a problem somewhere but I cannot say exactly what it is. I have phoned the Ethiopian Airline office at the Polo Park Mall but no response as the line is always engaged.

please do inform us as you get the exact details....

hope no one is trying to play tricks on us sha? undecided
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Kairoseki77: 12:23pm On Sep 09, 2013
What do you all think about Akpabio's family relocating to Lagos?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by kostadinis: 12:46pm On Sep 09, 2013
feelamong:

please do inform us as you get the exact details....

hope no one is trying to play tricks on us sha? undecided

If there is any problem, it should be what i have been thinking since the past 48 hrs - low passenger traffic. And if that is the case, you will expect them to cut down on the flight schedule in the interim. I just hope this will not discourage those planning to include Enugu in their immediate plans.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by henrychubayo: 1:00pm On Sep 09, 2013
ubomez2@yahoo.c:

Plz do find out my brother. Seems the last flight to Enugu is still in Enugu and have not departed yet. I also think its a technical problem and may not be associated with traffic. We don't want our ppl to be disappointed in flying to Enugu direct.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by kostadinis: 1:13pm On Sep 09, 2013
henrychubayo:

Plz do find out my brother. Seems the last flight to Enugu is still in Enugu and have not departed yet. I also think its a technical problem and may not be associated with traffic. We don't want our ppl to be disappointed in flying to Enugu direct.

No, from what i have read so far, and from Ubomez precisely, the last flight to Enugu landed on Friday, stayed the night and took off on Saturday.
I hope we'll get to know what the problem is. Not a pleasant moment at all.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ChimaAdeoye: 1:29pm On Sep 09, 2013
HappyJoe:

According to the PW Group Website a taxi way is being constructed as part of the runway expansion project: http://www.pwlimited.com/Projects.aspx?PID=86

I think it will lead to the new international terminal building

Please when last where you at Enugu?

Yes, warri pikin is right. Enugu does not have a taxiway. If you look at the google map of Enugu airport and compare it to to other international airports in Nigeria eg, PH Kano Kaduna Abuja or Lagos international airports, only Enugu does not have a taxiway to both ends of its runway.

What the company did was to connect the new terminal building to the old domestic terminal which is the 1.2 km they are referring to as taxiway! For a plane to takeoff at Enugu, it must first taxi on the runway and then turn around when it reached the end, before it can takeoff. A true taxiway is meant to be connected to at least one END of the runway. So that a plane about to takeoff rides on the taxiway and enter the runway at the end where the taxiway ends. In that way, a plane can wait on the taxiway while another airplane is landing or taking off and enters the runway only when it is his turn to take off.

Thus, that construction company should be mandated to complete the taxiway properly to reach at least one end of the runway. Or both ends of the runway as is standard with an average Nigerian international airport.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ubomez2yahooc: 1:42pm On Sep 09, 2013
The flight finder activity log is indicating that flight ETH930 should depart Enugu in the next 5 minutes. Lets wait and see. I am watching the live flight tracker right now. Get back to you soon.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by basilo101: 1:47pm On Sep 09, 2013
Nightshift: Sure, but because of the decade- long decay of Enugu it was pertinent to give the city profound facelift.
Gov. Chime has also tried in opening up some of the state's countryside. Although much still need to be done.
My brother, wat is happening in Nsukka now is uncontrolled urbanization with decayed infrastruture to support d emerging urban area. Enugu stat belongs to all of us, emerging urban areas such as Nsukka, Agbani, 9th mile, Obollo-Afor, Oji river etc shud be given due attention by the next administration because we all have sacrificed enough for the reconstruction of the coal city. it is nt acceptable dat dia is hardly any other place to boast of in the state apart from the capital
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ubomez2yahooc: 1:49pm On Sep 09, 2013
This is not looking good folks the screen is just saying 'scheduled'. Lets hope it is just a little hitch and all will be well.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by asha80(m): 1:53pm On Sep 09, 2013
basilo101:
My brother, wat is happening in Nsukka now is uncontrolled urbanization with decayed infrastruture to support d emerging urban area. Enugu stat belongs to all of us, emerging urban areas such as Nsukka, Agbani, 9th mile, Obollo-Afor, Oji river etc shud be given due attention by the next administration because we all have sacrificed enough for the reconstruction of the coal city. it is nt acceptable dat dia is hardly any other place to boast of in the state apart from the capital
this is what i keep telling guys....the infrastructure development should be spread.

(1) (2) (3) ... (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) ... (714) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.