Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,316 members, 7,887,970 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 05:08 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (214) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1818365 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) ... (710) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by tonychristopher: 9:38pm On Aug 23, 2014
Unemadu:

I found it disturbing that most of those product are made mostly in Ogun State or Lagos State. Really disturbing.

That shouldn't Cos igbo still got theirs but focusing more in technology and ict not candy bar manufacturing.....
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by IGBOSON1: 9:46pm On Aug 23, 2014
Unemadu:

I found it disturbing that most of those product are made mostly in Ogun State or Lagos State. Really disturbing.

^^^They will tell you not to worry....that it's all within 'one Nigeria' so no wahala! wink

But i thought all those chocolates were imported! undecided Or has Cadburys and Nestle started producing those popular chocolate brands in Nigeria as well?
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Unemadu: 10:05pm On Aug 23, 2014
tonychristopher:

That shouldn't Cos igbo still got theirs but focusing more in technology and ict not candy bar manufacturing.....

Not just the candies. A lot more other stuff like the cubed sugar i bought was made in ogun, toilet paper made in lagos, corn flakes made in ogun state and many more things. I just wondered what we were manufacturing down east.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by mufutau55(m): 10:10pm On Aug 23, 2014
spyder880:
Don't mind me bro, North London and Enugu North grin Just trying to see if there is any difference between them.

From what I have seen so far, I don't see any difference..

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ubomeze: 10:10pm On Aug 23, 2014
Globalization should not be a problem for the South East but a plus. Our Igbo buisnessmen or millionaires seem comfortable in Lagos and Abuja, they benefit from the 'one Nigeria' but as soon as any issue arises in relation to Igboland they become very clannish. We are our own worse enemy.
tonychristopher:

Yes your correct but we don't want a repeat of what happened. Having investor is nice but its better having investor from your place its called group economics

Dstv invested in Nigeria yes they employ Nigerian but take their money outside

What if an igbo opens a business and takes the money and keeps its within igbo land. Its better.
forget globalization that's what the west is using to decieve Africa to gain market.

I seemingly believe in protectionism

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by mufutau55(m): 10:13pm On Aug 23, 2014
Unemadu:

That should not be disturbing... because we are still in "Made in Nigeria", and what about all the products made in the East now selling in Lagos and Ogun? Please we are all still in Nigeria, at least they are not made in China.

Hajji M.

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by mufutau55(m): 10:14pm On Aug 23, 2014
sorry double post
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by tonychristopher: 10:26pm On Aug 23, 2014
Ubomeze: Globalization should not be a problem for the South East but a plus. Our Igbo buisnessmen or millionaires seem comfortable in Lagos and Abuja, they benefit from the 'one Nigeria' but as soon as any issue arises in relation to Igboland they become very clannish. We are our own worse enemy.

Who told you that globalization isn't an issue...go to Franco phone countries of Africa and see how French and Asians have taken over their economy. That's why today smart countries always prefer their citizens owning those business because it keeps the money home.
Look at our oil industry been rub by so called globalization...there is huge capital flight same with communication industry. They employ you pay you peanuts make huge profits take it totheir countries

I prefer protectionism . The Chinese model. Even USA practice that also. Even Ghana.

You don't leave toot economy to the foreigners to over run otherwise you will be vulnerable. That's simple economists

Do you know the principle of group economics our even cooperative economics.

I love protectionism. That's a way of getting things fast tracked in an economy.

Dubai does that also at some level. Every body protects something you know

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by tonychristopher: 10:32pm On Aug 23, 2014
mufutau55:

That should not be disturbing... because we are still in "Made in Nigeria", and what about all the products made in the East now selling in Lagos and Ogun? Please we are all still in Nigeria, at least they are not made in China.

Hajji M.
very correct but those are multinationals.then nearest to sea port its vital also. But do know done of these firms are been owned by igbos especially in the pharmaceutical and oil and gas . Asians are more into these candy things also .

Igbos are into hydrates like wires battery cables...I am from Nnewi and I know d the kind of manufacturing happening in there.

But what we are saying its that keep local economy in your hand then go outside invest and plough the profit home.

Igbos should be doing capital repatriation just line Jews globally.

I am for protectionism not globalization

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Ubomeze: 11:08pm On Aug 23, 2014
Historically, Francophone nations have always been tied to France even after independence. Nigeria has been independent for over 50 years but yet we import fuel! what happened to our refineries run by ourselves. We cannot stand alone. Look at china, russia and india they all have strong home grown economies but have not totally shut themselves off from the outside world.
tonychristopher:
very correct but those are multinationals.then nearest to sea port its vital also. But do know done of these firms are been owned by igbos especially in the pharmaceutical and oil and gas . Asians are more into these candy things also .

Igbos are into hydrates like wires battery cables...I am from Nnewi and I know d the kind of manufacturing happening in there.

But what we are saying its that keep local economy in your hand then go outside invest and plough the profit home.

Igbos should be doing capital repatriation just line Jews globally.

I am for protectionism not globalization

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by tonychristopher: 11:16pm On Aug 23, 2014
Ubomeze: Historically, Francophone nations have always been tied to France even after independence. Nigeria has been independent for over 50 years but yet we import fuel! what happened to our refineries run by ourselves. We cannot stand alone. Look at china, russia and india they all have strong home grown economies but have not totally shut themselves off from the outside world.

You have the same mindset. I didn't say closed economy but I used the world protectionism. USA will give preferential treatment to a local firm than a foreign firm in USA. That's why they did what they did for Ford and GM not to crumble...that's protectionism. They didn't give Terr grants to Toyota USA.

Its go to have investors but better to have local players Manning the economy. The investors can be then competitors.

Note don't forget that refinery issue is a cabal issue. Refining oil its simple classified chemistry called fractional distillation.

Igbos refined their oils during the war do that's no new thing. What we should be talking is capital repatriation here.

Its imperative

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 12:36am On Aug 24, 2014
Ubomeze: Where are your capable Igbo investors? The world today is a global village investor can come in from anywhere in the world. Do you think that hotels in London or New York are built and owned by the British and Americans exclusively? No they are not. But since you have so much faith in Igbo investors let us wait for one to turn up be it from IMO, ABIA, EBONYI, ANAMBRA and ENUGU.quote author=tonychristopher]

You don't nee a foreign investor here. We have capable igbo sons who can buy that facility.

Look at modotel owerri it was sold now its the flag ship hotel in owerri rivaling Concord hotel.

Do

They can put it up for sale but while doing that we should remember the principle of group economics which igbos and Jews are noted for.

Udo diri unu

Let me begin by saying that I support selling it to a credible hotel chain such as Protea, since they already have operations in Nigeria.

The problem with getting foreign investors willing to invest their own money in Nigeria is that many western companies find Nigerian assets to be "toxic" and therefore will not pump in the amount of money required to turn the place around. The was the same problem that stalled the Anambra refinery at Otuocha for many years because they had partnered with the world's biggest refinery developers "The Shaw group" from Louisiana USA. Of course, this typical American company would not invest it's own money and will have so many laws to comply with back home. The fortunes of that project finally changed when Peter Obi authorized the switching of technical partners into a Chinese company, that has since brought their engineers to do the project.
From the looks of it, the best we can hope for in the hotels and tourism sector are South African companies that have seen that Nigeria inspite of all her troubles offer bigger returns than South Africa and many other countries.

There is also nothing wrong in selling this hotel to indigenous people who know the business very well. Although it is easier said than done, to select the right local buyer. Especially if one considers what became of ANAMMMCO after it was regretfully sold to Onitsha based transporter GUO motors,who neither had the expertise or funds to turn the company around.

Lets hope something positive is done to save the Presidential Hotel.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 12:57am On Aug 24, 2014
Unemadu:

Not just the candies. A lot more other stuff like the cubed sugar i bought was made in ogun, toilet paper made in lagos, corn flakes made in ogun state and many more things. I just wondered what we were manufacturing down east.

just look at the kind of tnz disturbing u.
What is disturbing about the presence of a cadbury, nestle and other bread n butter factories in Lagos or Ogun?
Ur breweries, pharmaceuticals, cables, fashion items, automobile, chemical industries no do u? ;

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by tonychristopher: 1:09am On Aug 24, 2014
cjrane:

Let me begin by saying that I support selling it to a credible hotel chain such as Protea, since they already have operations in Nigeria.

The problem with getting foreign investors willing to invest their own money in Nigeria is that many western companies find Nigerian assets to be "toxic" and therefore will not pump in the amount of money required to turn the place around. The was the same problem that stalled the Anambra refinery at Otuocha for many years because they had partnered with the world's biggest refinery developers "The Shaw group" from Louisiana USA. Of course, this typical American company would not invest it's own money and will have so many laws to comply with back home. The fortunes of that project finally changed when Peter Obi authorized the switching of technical partners into a Chinese company, that has since brought their engineers to do the project.
From the looks of it, the best we can hope for in the hotels and tourism sector are South African companies that have seen that Nigeria inspite of all her troubles offer bigger returns than South Africa and many other countries.

There is also nothing wrong in selling this hotel to indigenous people who know the business very well. Although it is easier said than done, to select the right local buyer. Especially if one considers what became of ANAMMMCO after it was regretfully sold to Onitsha based transporter GUO motors,who neither had the expertise or funds to turn the company around.

Lets hope something positive is done to save the Presidential Hotel.

I just don't get it when everything in Africa they cal they in west .... Itsjust annoying....they called us not been ideal investment place but today we have the highest ROI.....

They call our assets toxic and you believed them...I believe that domestic challenges need domestic solutions....

What is actually wrong with us African that we can't think for ourselves

Just look at Asian

Tell me how many countries the west has developed in Africa.

Remember the same west were against Biafra on the reason that they can't afford anotherJapan in Africa.

Suckwest

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 1:43am On Aug 24, 2014
Ubomeze: Globalization should not be a problem for the South East but a plus. Our Igbo buisnessmen or millionaires seem comfortable in Lagos and Abuja, they benefit from the 'one Nigeria' but as soon as any issue arises in relation to Igboland they become very clannish. We are our own worse enemy.

I don't think they are "very clannish", they are just as rational as any shrewd business man would. No sensible business man will like to set up a heavy capital investment in SE if the economic enablers or master plan of extended development is not there. These people would love to invest heavily in SE to the surprise of our people if something in the order of SE Regional Development blueprint is created and engendered. These people want to see a long term development plan before they can commit. Case study; when Abuja was just a forest, thick bush, inhabitable, guess who were there first besides the Hausas and local natives? The Igbos. Igbo business men left Lagos.... yes these business men deserted Lagos, Port Harcourt, Kaduna, Maiduguri for Abuja even when Abuja was practically empty. Why did they do that? Because the Government had a master plan for the development of the New Federal Capital Territory with prediction of what it would look like in 20+ yrs....today it looks exactly as predicted and the Igbos are the biggest beneficiaries of it. El Rufai wasn't joking when he said Igbos own 73% of land in Abuja...that's a very factual statement because these Igbo business men had the foresight to see what many others didn't see. Implementation of a SE Regional Development scheme will witness one of the greatest regional investment we have ever witnessed. SAB Miller in Onitsha is just a cake walk to what Igbo businessman will be setting up. These people have the money but waiting for a prospective, viable plan! My first post on page 210 of this thread illustrates this SRDC blueprint.

Orient Petroleum and Refinery, Ibeto Cement Manufacturing Industry, Enugu International Airport are prime examples of Regional Development projects....we need strategic projects like these. A prospective industrialist will be more keen to setting up an industry now in SE than 5 yrs ago why? Because he would now only have to pay 1/3 of the transport cost or less to get his fuel from Orient Petroleum, same with cements directly from Ibeto in SE, same will apply to Onitsha seaport, air cargo at Enugu Airport...these are enablers to attract investors and industrialists. Another prime example of a SE growing, developmental project that has attracted Igbo business men from across the country especially Abuja and Lagos, and across the world is the Enugu Centenary and Golf City. Kudos to Gov. Chime...he has vision!

13 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 2:08am On Aug 24, 2014
Innovator90:
I don't think they are "very clannish", they are just as rational as any shrewd business man would. No sensible business man will like to set up a heavy capital investment in SE if the economic enablers or master plan of extended development is not there. These people would love to invest heavily in SE to the surprise of our people if something in the order of SE Regional Development blueprint is created. These people want to see a long term development plan before they can commit. Case study; when Abuja was just a forest, thick bush, inhabitable, guess who were there first besides the Hausas and local natives? The Igbos. Igbo business men left Lagos.... yes these business men deserted Lagos, Port Harcourt, Kaduna, Maiduguri for Abuja even when Abuja was practically empty. Why did they do that? Because the Government had a master plan for the development of the New Federal Capital Territory with prediction of what it would look like in 20+ yrs....today it looks exactly as predicted and the Igbos are the biggest beneficiaries of it. El Rufai wasn't joking when he said Igbos own 73% of land in Abuja...that's a very factual statement because these Igbo business men had the foresight to see what many others didn't see. Implementation of a SE Regional Development scheme will witness one of the greatest regional investment we have ever witnessed. SAB Miller in Onitsha is just a cake walk to what Igbo businessman will be setting up. These people have the money but waiting for a prospective, viable plan! My first post on page 210 of this thread illustrates this SRDC blueprint.

Enugu is going places. Mark my words, the massive real estate development in that town points to that.

What the town needs are a few more airlines flying internationally from its airport. It is already near to ports at PH & Warri and if you have like say, Ethiopian, KLM, Lufthansa & one of the Chinese airlines flying out regularly from there a lot of businessmen will not just settle, but build businesses there.

Compare Enugu with Kano now, what does Kano have that Enugu does not have now & cannot have in future? Kano's advantage over Enugu was an international airport, when Enugu's airport fully takes off, see what Enugu will do.

As I said earlier, all that is needed is a governor to take Enugu to the next level - there's land, they need to map out a "new town development" with solid roads & attract businesses.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 2:09am On Aug 24, 2014
Innovator90:

I don't think they are "very clannish", they are just as rational as any shrewd business man would. No sensible business man will like to set up a heavy capital investment in SE if the economic enablers or master plan of extended development is not there. These people would love to invest heavily in SE to the surprise of our people if something in the order of SE Regional Development blueprint is created. These people want to see a long term development plan before they can commit. Case study; when Abuja was just a forest, thick bush, inhabitable, guess who were there first besides the Hausas and local natives? The Igbos. Igbo business men left Lagos.... yes these business men deserted Lagos, Port Harcourt, Kaduna, Maiduguri for Abuja even when Abuja was practically empty. Why did they do that? Because the Government had a master plan for the development of the New Federal Capital Territory with prediction of what it would look like in 20+ yrs....today it looks exactly as predicted and the Igbos are the biggest beneficiaries of it. El Rufai wasn't joking when he said Igbos own 73% of land in Abuja...that's a very factual statement because these Igbo business men had the foresight to see what many others didn't see. Implementation of a SE Regional Development scheme will witness one of the greatest regional investment we have ever witnessed. SAB Miller in Onitsha is just a cake walk to what Igbo businessman will be setting up. These people have the money but waiting for a prospective, viable plan! My first post on page 210 of this thread illustrates this SRDC blueprint.

Already such a body exist to provide a framework for the SE to synergize resources and develop, but you know it is difficult for Igbos to cooperate without someone trying to bring the Nigerian factor of cheating into it. The bad blood that went into the assets and liabilities management of the Nkalagu cement company effectively ruined or at least made tenuous any talk of inter-state or even regional cooperation amongst Igbo states.

SENEC is a body of professionals to identify common infrastructural projects such as electricity plants, refineries, public transportation infrastructure such as a light railway line from Onitsha to Enugu, then fans out at Enugu to Abakaliki axis, Another line connects Owerri to Afikpo via Okigwe crossing the existing Enugu to PH line. Then they plan on harnessing electricity via coal powered plants and agricultural programs such as palm plantations in Imo and parts of Abia state,with allied factories to utilize the produce for export, strategic setting up of poultry farms around rice basins,piggeries to ensure the region becomes a net exporter of food again. In fact, Former Governor Sam Egwu of Ebonyi was encouraged to set up the Nkaliki poultry farms in Abakaliki as part of this regional economic strategy. Of course, the government mismanaged that poultry farm and it has folded up already!

[size=14pt]SENEC: South East Nigeria Economic Commission[/size]

http://www.senec.org.ng/senec/index.php/news/36-news-events/57-imperative-of-south-east-nigeria-economic-commission-senec

We should support this commission to act more than it's present endless talk-talk symposium, by identifying the critical projects and getting Igbo business men to buy into these projects. Which will also be easier said than done. But we should continue trying until the attitude of our people towards investing in the SE changes. Perhaps, one positive outcome of Boko Haram slaughter of our people is that it continuously reminds those of them that believe the lie called "one Nigeria" that it is the biggest 419 fraud told to Igbos. Even after Boko Haram is finally defeated, another northern group will soon be armed again by their politicians, and guess who their target for slaughter and maiming would be? angry

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:20am On Aug 24, 2014
HappyJoe:

Enugu is going places. Mark my words, the massive real estate development in that town points to that.

What the town needs are a few more airlines flying internationally from its airport. It is already near to ports at PH & Warri and if you have like say, Ethiopian, KLM, Lufthansa & one of the Chinese airlines flying out regularly from there a lot of businessmen will not just settle, but build businesses there.

Compare Enugu with Kano now, what does Kano have that Enugu does not have now & cannot have in future? Kano's advantage over Enugu was an international airport, when Enugu's airport fully takes off, see what Enugu will do.

As I said earlier, all that is needed is a governor to take Enugu to the next level - there's land, they need to map out a "new town development" with solid roads & attract businesses.

I agree with you 100%. Enugu is leading. Gov. Chime is a visionary!
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 2:38am On Aug 24, 2014
cjrane:

Already such a body exist, but you know it is difficult for Igbos to cooperate without someone trying to bring the Nigerian factor of cheating into it. The bad blood that went into the assets and liabilities management of the Nkalagu cement company effectively ruined any talk of inter-state or even regional cooperation amongst Igbo states.
It is a body of professionals to identify common infrastructural projects such as electricity plants, refineries, public transportation infrastructure such as a light railway line from Onitsha to Enugu, then fans out at Enugu to Abakaliki axis, Another connect Owerri to Okigwe on the existing Enugu tp PH line. Then they plan on harnessing electricity via coal powered plants and agricultural programs such as palm plantations in Imo and parts of Abia state,with allied factories to utilize the produce for export, strategic setting up of poultry farms around rice basins,piggeries to ensure the region becomes a net exporter of food again. In fact, Former Governor Sam Egwu of Ebonyi was encouraged to set up the Nkaliki poultry farms in Abakaliki as part of this regional economic strategy. Of course, the government mismanaged that poultry farm and it has folded up already!

[size=14pt]SENEC: South East Nigeria Economic Commission[/size]

http://www.senec.org.ng/senec/index.php/news/36-news-events/57-imperative-of-south-east-nigeria-economic-commission-senec

We should support this commission to act more than it's present endless talk-talk symposium, by identifying the critical projects and getting Igbo business men to buy into these projects. Which will also be easier said than done. But we should continue trying until the attitude of our people towards investing in the SE changes. Perhaps, one positive outcome of Boko Haram slaughter of our people does is that it reminds those of them that believe the lie called "one Nigeria" that it is the biggest 419 ever executed on Igbos. After Boko Haram is defeated, another northern group will soon be armed again by their politicians, and guess who their target for slaughter and maiming would be? grin

Good to see that a parallel commission exists. They need to bring on board key people like Obi of Onitsha, Sir Emeka Anyaoku to help sell the agenda.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:26am On Aug 24, 2014
Innovator90:

Good to see that a parallel commission exists. They need to bring on board key people like Obi of Onitsha, Sir Emeka Anyaoku to help sell the agenda.

And Peter Obi, I think the man has what it takes to lead the planning team for the east.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 7:38am On Aug 24, 2014
Unemadu:

We are manufacturing hotels, filling stations, then prostitution and kidnapping. Even common egg you eat in South east come from south west. sad
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 7:53am On Aug 24, 2014
Kkkk
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 7:54am On Aug 24, 2014
HappyJoe:

To my mind, what the next governor should concentrate on is keeping Enugu clean, creation of jobs through establishment of cottage industries and massive investment in agriculture and education. Also I don't like the idea of giving the contract of building roads to Arab contrators because it engenders capital flight. Even the Enugu lifestyle and golf city is being handled by a foreign firm. If the contracts were awarded to local contractors, we would have killed 2 birds with a stone, developing our land and creating of indigenous millionaires. I think that's an area Sullivan has not done well. Our local engineers should be used in doing those jobs even if the government decides to make use of direct labour. This was one area Chimaroke did a good job. I think that poverty multiplied under Sullivan because all juicy jobs were given to foreigners.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by HappyJoe: 9:15am On Aug 24, 2014
biafrandream:
To my mind, what the next governor should concentrate on is keeping Enugu clean, creation of jobs through establishment of cottage industries and massive investment in agriculture and education. Also I don't like the idea of giving the contract of building roads to Arab contrators because it engenders capital flight. Even the Enugu lifestyle and golf city is being handled by a foreign firm. If the contracts were awarded to local contractors, we would have killed 2 birds with a stone, developing our land and creating of indigenous millionaires. I think that's an area Sullivan has not done well. Our local engineers should be used in doing those jobs even if the government decides to make use of direct labour. This was one area Chimaroke did a good job. I think that poverty multiplied under Sullivan because all juicy jobs were given to foreigners.

Most contracts in Anambra are given to local firms - this has led to mixed results; quality tends to be poor.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by TabletMan: 10:13am On Aug 24, 2014
Unemadu:

Bro, when it comes to production, u just choose what u like to produce and how it will be a benefit to you.
There are many aspect to production.
The cubed sugar u bought that is being produced at ogun, are u aware that the packet of the sugar made with ordinary paper is not produced at ogun?
The tissue paper, are u aware that the coil inside is sometimes made by another company?
The corn flakes, are u aware that the paper packet is imported material from china? Same story with 5alive.
What u found in the east precisely aba and onitsha are not biscuit and candy industries.
Just like christopher said.. Igbos are into a different angle of production, I don't know if that's a coincidence but its good pattern of production.
You start from the bottom and don't need to depend on china or indonesia for materials(take a look at IVM using it plastic company and ibeto's battery company)

And also, it may interest you to know that, all the thing you listed is also being produce at anambra except the Sugar.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by vanbonattel: 10:17am On Aug 24, 2014
HappyJoe:

Most contracts in Anambra are given to local firms - this has led to mixed results; quality tends to be poor.

The ones here in Imo State is a disaster waiting to happen. Rochas is using road side labor to build al our projects. Paint and shine style grin

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by vanbonattel: 10:21am On Aug 24, 2014
general hospitals in Imo, sorry.

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 10:59am On Aug 24, 2014
Why are these hot brains not in power...or are all these write up here too idealistic...unless there are peculiar problems in SE which these posters haven't factored in, otherwise, i see a rapid development if all these ideas are implemented in SE.

However, to make all these brilliant ideas work in SE, we need two additional factors; sincerity and patriotism.

9 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 11:17am On Aug 24, 2014
HappyJoe:

Happy Joe, we must purge ourselves of complexes. The truth is that our people are capable of delivering on any of these projects, if they are properly mobilized. I know how most houses in ESUT were built. Chimaroke gave some of the contracts to local people with a mandate to deliver at a given time and many of them did. The problem is when you award contract to your brother and you take back 40% of the contract money into your pocket. You then give him 30% of the money and expect him to do miracle. If we can have a governor that is as honest as Sullivan, that can pay contractors as and when due, all those engineering works will be moi moi to our people. I know that acquiring most of the machines needed for these projects are capital intensive but the government can also help individuals to acquire them. Please do we make use of foreiners when building of private houses? If we make use of local people, we must have not only developed our land but also created millionaires among us and the effect will trickle down to the masses because those people will spend the large chunk of the money on their relatives but the foreigners would simply pocket the money and go home. Don't forget that our people are law abiding only when they know they would be prosecuted if they foul the law. In like manner, a local contractor who knows that he will be prosecuted if he fails to deliver would be more honest in doing his job. I believe it's all about honesty.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by biafrandream: 11:32am On Aug 24, 2014
centje: Why are these hot brains not in power...or are all these write up here too idealistic...unless there are peculiar problems in SE which these posters haven't factored in, otherwise, i see a rapid development if all these ideas are implemented in SE.

However, to make all these brilliant ideas work in SE, we need two additional factors; sincerity and patriotism.

It boils down to leadership because every people is a reflection of their leadership. When the leaders are honest, the people have no choice than to cue in, or face the long arms of the law.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 11:50am On Aug 24, 2014
biafrandream:

Sullivan didn't choose Arab Contractors, Chimaroke did.
He was the governor in 2005 when agreements for Enugu upgrade was made with World bank and Arab contractors won the bid.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by eaglechild: 12:03pm On Aug 24, 2014
biafrandream:

IMO state did it and paid dearly, they are still paying for it with very substandard road projects.

You need a very robust and sincere ministry and governor to chase local contractors around, it is the unfortunate truth.

Arab contractors can be "nationalised" like JB, into Arab contractors Nigeria with Nigerians having a stake.

The life style and golf city is a PPP and the foreigners are also investing their money.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) ... (710) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.