Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,648 members, 7,932,878 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 02:18 PM

Enugu, The Pride Of The East. - Politics (388) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu, The Pride Of The East. (1834293 Views)

Nigerian Armed Forces, Pride Of West Africa. / Babangida’s Letter To Bola TINUBU, Does The Letter Expose The Pride Of IBB? / The First Mayor Of Enugu, The Most Politically Important Igbo City, Was A Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (385) (386) (387) (388) (389) (390) (391) ... (711) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:01am On Jun 19, 2015
Ikengawo:
You guys are talking. My own Imo state is ranking with hausa and yoruba states. How do you think we feel?

It saddens me that Imo state does not have a strong industrial base. For a people so intelligent and educated, I think the efforts this next four years should be industry industry industry. Imo state people should please hold the government to account, let them build more job generating companies to manufacture all we need there. Imo has good arable lands, where are the farmers? Government should help in that aspect too.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by SpaceTour: 6:13am On Jun 19, 2015
Ikengawo:
You guys are talking. My own Imo state is ranking with hausa and yoruba states. How do you think we feel?

It give all of us a huge concern. The continuous nose-dive on development in the state is disturbing to everyone. Like spyder said the state should focus on industrialization to provide jobs for its citizens and boast its IGR.

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 6:21am On Jun 19, 2015
SpaceTour:

It give all of us a huge concern. The continuous nose-dive on development in the state is disturbing to everyone. Like spyder said the state should focus on industrialization to provide jobs for its citizens and boast its IGR.

It also gets me surprised that no Imo state citizen sets up private manufacturing companies inside Imo state like we see in Anambra state. We need more billionaires like Frank Nneji of ABC transport, not all these politicians looking for money to embezzle.

Something should be done to discourage people from setting up only hotels in Imo state.

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by SpaceTour: 6:44am On Jun 19, 2015
spyder880:

It also gets me surprised that no Imo state citizen sets up private manufacturing companies inside Imo state like we see in Anambra state. We need more billionaires like Frank Nneji of ABC transport, not all these politicians looking for money to embezzle.

Something should be done to discourage people from setting up only hotels in Imo state.

You have just nailed it! I just hope that the authorities in that state are listening particularly as it concerns your first and last paragraph.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Afam4eva(m): 6:50am On Jun 19, 2015
spyder880:

GBAM. It puzzles me as to why IMO business men cannot take a cue from Anambra business men to setup industries in the state. This "Ala wu otu" mentality has yo stop. IMO has the largest number of educated folks in Igboland but with very little development to show for it.

7 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by abagoro(m): 7:09am On Jun 19, 2015
Afam4eva:

GBAM. It puzzles me as to why IMO business men cannot take a cue from Anambra business men to setup industries in the state. This "Ala wu otu" mentality has yo stop. IMO has the largest number of educated folks in Igboland but with very little development to show for it.

You guys are here raining abuses on Imo State for being number 13 while Anambra is 10 in IGR. There is no way every State will be number one at the same time but being number 13 does not warrant these lies, mockery, blackmails and abuses.

Rochas Okorocha has made his mark in one term and now we watch as Imo business men invest in mainly manufacturing industries. It is however wrong to claim Imo is not developed. It is as false as the lies that civil servants are owed 11 months. Let us wait patiently for this Buhari's non-partial Government to normalise Nigeria and then use our tongues to count our teeth.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Igbonazy: 7:23am On Jun 19, 2015
spyder880:

It saddens me that Imo state does not have a strong industrial base. For a people so intelligent and educated, I think the efforts this next four years should be industry industry industry. Imo state people should please hold the government to account, let them build more job generating companies to manufacture all we need there. Imo has good arable lands, where are the farmers? Government should help in that aspect too.

I call the pig incharge, Dumb Welfarist, he is killing the state gradually. Sometimes i fear he is doing it on purpose

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 7:23am On Jun 19, 2015
I dont have problem with Igbos siting investments in any part of Igboland as long as its not in Nigeria.
Tonimas is own by an Anambra man while Orange Drugs is own by an Imo man, Innoson has firm in Enugu.

We Anambras are even crying of the way our people site companies everywhere in Nigeria except Anambra State, Smile is own by Anambraman but we lack an ISP here, Neros completed her ultra modern factory at Ogun, Beloxxi Biscuit is own by Anambraman, this is how they liter hotels and housing estates in Abuja but there is no 5 star hotel in Nnewi and Onitsha.

The problem is generic among Igbo people but Owerri was not planned to be an industrial cum commercial center but tourism.

Imo State is situated inbetween Anambra and Abia both dominant players in Nigeria economy, if it will both states 50horsepower to convince an investor to site a manufacturing outfit in there states, it will take Imo 500horsepower to do the same considering proximity of the two states to big markets in SS

Afam4eva:

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by abagoro(m): 7:29am On Jun 19, 2015
BuddahMonk:
I dont have problem with Igbos siting investments in any part of Igboland as long as its not in Nigeria.
Tonimas is own by an Anambra man while Orange Drugs is own by an Imo man, Innoson has firm in Enugu.

We Anambras are even crying of the way our people site companies everywhere in Nigeria except Anambra State, Smile is own by Anambraman but we lack an ISP here, Neros completed her ultra modern factory at Ogun, Beloxxi Biscuit is own by Anambraman, this is how they liter hotels and housing estates in Abuja but there is no 5 star hotel in Nnewi and Onitsha.

The problem is generic among Igbo people but Owerri was not planned to be an industrial cum commercial center but tourism.

Imo State is situated inbetween Anambra and Abia both dominant players in Nigeria economy, if it will both states 50horsepower to convince an investor to site a manufacturing outfit in there states, it will take Imo 500horsepower to do the same considering proximity of the two states to big markets in SS

Gbam! The colonial masters made 3 towns Enugu administrative, Onitsha commercial and Aba industrial in Igboland. Following States creation Imo and Ebonyi got none of these cities. Imo did well to capture tourism.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by chinolization: 7:33am On Jun 19, 2015
Shut up and don't mistake prostitution and proliferation of brothels in Owerre as tourism. The only tourist states around here is Calabar and Akwaibom. I have not seen anybody going to Owerre for any genuine/decent business except if it involves commercial se.x hawkers. Tell ur useless gov to draw an industrial masterplan and develop the damn economically backward state.

abagoro:

Gbam! The colonial masters made 3 towns Enugu administrative, Onitsha commercial and Aba industrial in Igboland. Following States creation Imo and Ebonyi got none of these cities. Imo did well to capture tourism.

6 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ZeroTolerance: 7:34am On Jun 19, 2015
abagoro:

What dirty tourism is this negro talking about?

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by chinolization: 7:36am On Jun 19, 2015
The clown always mistake large army of imo state prostitutes in owerre as boom in tourism, without knowing that it is the imo state unmarriageable women that are being wrecked coolcheesy

ZeroTolerance:
What dirty tourism is this negro talking about?

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by chinolization: 7:39am On Jun 19, 2015
Shut up u imbec1le. Must u mention Anambra? Show me on the list where imo state made 13th position? I am not sure imo state is even among the first 30 states.

Imo civil servants are owed for over 11months- Vanguard Newspaper

U have to live with that reality. tongue

abagoro:

You guys are here raining abuses on Imo State for being number 13 while Anambra is 10 in IGR. There is no way every State will be number one at the same time but being number 13 does not warrant these lies, mockery, blackmails and abuses.

Rochas Okorocha has made his mark in one term and now we watch as Imo business men invest in mainly manufacturing industries. It is however wrong to claim Imo is not developed. It is as false as the lies that civil servants are owed 11 months. Let us wait patiently for this Buhari's non-partial Government to normalise Nigeria and then use our tongues to count our teeth.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by chinolization: 7:43am On Jun 19, 2015
Killing? The abokii governor has succeeded in burying the state. That is what u get when an animal is ruling a state.

Igbonazy:

I call the pig incharge, Dumb Welfarist, he is killing the state gradually. Sometimes i fear he is doing it on purpose

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by chinolization: 8:00am On Jun 19, 2015
You need to go on and become a university lecturer going by the way u give us long assignment to read always. Lol.

Do not hold brief for imo state. The state is a useless state without any economic value to the SE and Nigeria at large.

There is an upcoming 5star hotel(Raddison Blu) in Onitsha among others but we do not need hotels to liter every street here like as seen in Owerre so that our society will remain sane and morally in order and also protect the future of our children.

BuddahMonk:

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 8:19am On Jun 19, 2015
abagoro:

The issues on the discussion table surpasses Rochas Okorocha or Buhari'a administration. The issues are a review of the past and a plan for the future. What is the blueprint for this present administration as regards creating enabling environment for industrial revolution?

That is the question I expect answers to.

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by chinolization: 8:23am On Jun 19, 2015
The dumbass will rush now and tell u that imo state got lucky by grabbing tourism prostitution. cheesy

Prostitution business he sees in Owerre means tourism to him. Horrible. cheesy

The useless gov knows that imo state is economically dormant that was why he used industry industry and factory factory mantra to deceive the gullible voters during his campaign and he has gone back to his usual way..

spyder880:

The issues on the discussion table surpasses Rochas Okorocha or Buhari'a administration. The issues are a review of the past and a plan for the future. What is the blueprint for this present administration as regards creating enabling environment for industrial revolution?

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 8:23am On Jun 19, 2015
abagoro:

Now, the colonial masters are long gone and the founding fathers of Nigeria all dead. But the present problems of unemployment and under utilisation of our capable graduates still stare us in the face.

Do we continue to fold our hands and cry colonial masters while we all know the possible solutions? It's not about delivering beautiful speeches, Rochas should roll up his sleeves and GO TO WORK!

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 8:27am On Jun 19, 2015
Silas Ifeanyi
It's interesting to note some of the things which ordinarily don't look good. The truth is that our people don't like paying taxes but love to have good things. Enugu metropolis is well developed and the truth is that the government needs money to develop it further as well as maintain it. Multiple taxation is bad but many of the charges cannot even qualify to be called taxes. In Asaba, equally a state capital, people pay much more and basically for nothing. The town is probably the least developed among the 36 states but that doesn't deter the tax planners from hammering people anything that comes to their mind. The good thing is that majority of them can be negotiated meaning that when you get a N1m demand notice, you may end up paying N200,000. The Joint Tax Board is currently looking into this and my prayer is that it becomes one of the items in the change plate. My fear now is that many governments at all levels may have to fall back to IGR to fund their excesses and that means that we may have to pay more in the coming months and years. Just pray that the payments go directly to the correct government accounts because more often than not, they are simply stolen.

The above quote was from the facebook page you cited. Most of those things he listed are cannot be qualified as multiple taxation. What Government needs to do is to organise them into one and distribute the money to various departments after collection. We want good things but not ready to pay for them. The word used outside the country is 'bills' And they pay it in banks, various departments and agencies can access the payment information and know who is owing. But Enugu residents will not pay into bank and keep their receipt, they will rather wait to be harrased by Goverment Agents. I stayed in Enugu, more than half of residents there don't pay those bills. Are you saying because you pay tax to government, you shouldn't pay 'NEPA' bill, or because you pay tax to Enugu state you shouldn't pay water or ESWAMA bills. We all want ESWAMA to sweep our road, dispose refuse, but on what funding? Who pays them? We are not oil producing state, the only natural mineral, coal, is no more attractive. My concern is that most of those monies don't end up in government purse but personal pockets.

The chris guy even gave a lot of false information. The Waste bag, ESWAMA bag cannot go for N5. He said they sell it at N20, that's even better 'cause I buy similar bag at N50 where I am. The waste bag is bigger than those black waterproof bag sold at N10 so how can ESWAMA bag go for N5.
He said something on extention from shops. Enugu is one of the nigerian city that is relatively serious about planning. Often times the government demolish illegal houses, shops, and remove those extended shade from shops. But people will go ahead to put those extended shades back. That one is paying for an offence not bill or taxation.

To add to some posters, I think the increase in IGR is from improved remittance and easier collection. Most time we say Enugu is mostly civil servants, getting tax from civil servants are easier because all you need to do is deduct it from their salary, and those ones can easily be accounted for unlike taxes from local shops, drivers. Enugu also has a good share of service industry from which tax deduction can easily be made and properly remitted. In the coming years, IGR wil improve further, Two big shops are under construction in Enugu, the industrial park by china company is still in pipeline, the free trade zone is already here, I pray that the foundation Chime laid will attract more industries, both large, medium and small scale, even as ifeanyi works better than chime, I pray.

If price of oil does not improve, then the coming days will still not be rosy for everyone. And I am happy ifeanyi pointed out in his inaugural speech that there's urgent need for alternative source of fund, not just depending on 'National cake'

BuddahMonk:
The problem is that multiple taxation is very common in Enugu unlike Anambra where the government consider small businesses as bedrock of emerging economies and even donate big firms to provide social animinities, the recent upgrade at Rojenny costed N150m while Anambra donated N30m, Obi gave Innoson money to tar the roads that read to his company.
Recently the state map out a billion naira fro her small business arm called ASBA, they are giving money to small businesses and allow them to enjoy tax holidays, this is what government in East should be doing.

My assertion is that Anambra would have done better if the government is to tax every taxable activity going on in the state

below is what Mr Chris Onyishi an Enugu based social critique wrote on his FB page which i found very disturbing.
https://www.facebook.com/chris.onyishi/posts/10205301452273757

our government need to protect small businesses and give them tax incentive, this is why Anambra informal sector is contributing to the GDP of the citizens.

am impress with Enugu but she should tone it down a little bit because of small businesses.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:32am On Jun 19, 2015
spyder880:

Ask him whether buhari is coming to industrialize imo or what has buhari got to do with the igr of imo state.
Maybe in 1984 when buhari came in, imo igr skyrocketed and he has cone to do it again

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 12:14pm On Jun 19, 2015
spyder880:

As the poster above me said, I think its more of an accountability issue, the number of big shops in Nkpor, Obosi, Onitsha, Ogidi, Nnewi and Oba is large enough to increase the IGR by a big margin. (Heavy importers with large warehouses) The big industries are also generating revenue. Some companies in Onitsha has operated for so many years so why give them incentives if they are to grow to stability.

InyinyaAgbaOku:
The problem here is just accountability of the tax collectors to the state government. If the taxing agency collects #50 and accounts for only #10, igr will be falsely recorded at #10, flat.
So, loopholes for embezzlement should be identified and corrected

EXACTLY !
Accountability of the tax collection system should be an urgent priority.
It is not as if the taxes are not being paid and collected from those companies and the people, just that it doesn't enter into government purse.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:02pm On Jun 19, 2015
Igbonazy:

Rochas has good intentions and really want to help but he is not a good administrator,hence hence his welfarist tendencies.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by ideynl1: 1:23pm On Jun 19, 2015
You guys should ignore the mad local village driver. He's looking for a way to derail this thread.
Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by CentralIntels: 1:51pm On Jun 19, 2015
Chidi nwabekeyi aka customized13 aka ideynl1 the B.astard son of an okadaman who eats chicken once in a year. U will be haunted till u commit suicide tongue

U go cry again today. cheesy

Always quote us whenever u comment so we can properly descend on u. tongue

ideynl1:
You guys should ignore the mad local village driver. He's looking for a way to derail this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 2:22pm On Jun 19, 2015
Breaking news on a developing story!

I have just been called that agents of Eswama in Enugu went to my ongoing building project somewhere in Enugu and arrested one of my carpenters who came to work. They claimed to have dropped a demand notice but I am not aware of such.
My question is, are these people supposed to demand or collect money from builders or owners who have not yet started making use of their houses? The house in question is a residential high rise under construction, just one month since the project started. All state and local government approval had been paid for and secured.

Why should we pay Eswama when they are not yet packing our refuse/debris from the building site if any? Is it fair?

I will wait for them to release the guy and if they don't, I will pay them a visit and reveal the whole internal process of our high IGR figures. (If really it goes into government pockets) grin

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by abagoro(m): 2:36pm On Jun 19, 2015
spyder880:

Which State has done what you wrote? Only God knows why you guys hate Imo State and our Governor but the truth is that all of Nigeria has the problem above and it has to do with Federal Government of Nigeria. Under Jonathans admin everything was war including investments in opposition States.

Like I wrote earlier, now Buhari is in charge we shall see what real development is. Aba already has power generation capacity instituted by Obasanjo which could not come into fruition owing to same petty politics of Jonathan era. Under Buhari all the power plants will work and all the refineries will work. It will help accelerate industrial growth in Nigeria.

As for development Imo is a fairly developed State by Nigerian standard but has a long way to go. It however is far more developed than Enugu State and hence should never be discussed like it is retrogressive when compared with Anambra or Enugu where people live in hell.

1 Like

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by CentralIntels: 2:52pm On Jun 19, 2015
Fool, stop deceiving urself and face reality for once, imo state is actually the least developed state in the SE in all parameters and equally has the worst living condition which also can be termed 'hell' as the state has the highest poor population in the SE. The state also has the poorest residents in the SE as most of them are poorly paid civil servants. Imo state is the only SE state that does not have other Igbos from other states living in it.

These are the basis for assessing development: health, education, industrialization, overall infrastructural development across board, HDI, GDP, IGR etc. The only thing imo state had going for it before now was education but u and I knows that a neighboring SE state has overtaken them..confirm from WAEC, NECO, JAMB, Unity school, Nation school debates etc.

[s]
abagoro:

Which State has done what you wrote? Only God knows why you guys hate Imo State and our Governor but the truth is that all of Nigeria has the problem above and it has to do with Federal Government of Nigeria. Under Jonathans admin everything was war including investments in opposition States.

Like I wrote earlier, now Buhari is in charge we shall see what real development is. Aba already has power generation capacity instituted by Obasanjo which could not come into fruition owing to same petty politics of Jonathan era. Under Buhari all the power plants will work and all the refineries will work. It will help accelerate industrial growth in Nigeria.

As for development Imo is a fairly developed State by Nigerian standard but has a long way to go. It however is far more developed than Enugu State and hence should never be discussed like it is retrogressive when compared with Anambra or Enugu where people live in hell.
[/s]

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by spyder880(m): 3:38pm On Jun 19, 2015
abagoro:

Well, I dont like comparing Igbo states, if not I would have loved to challenge you to a picture contest, picture for picture, sector by sector, Local government by local government, town by town between Enugu and Imo states. But we are too big for that.

Imo state developmental progress has been without direction in the past few years. There are no widespread housing estates developed by the government. I went to execute a project at Umuguma Owerri housing estate. No roads, total neglect.

Do you really believe the federal government helps states that are not in the opposition?

I wanted to shop in Owerri, where? Traffic in Owerri is just unforgivable. If keke napep no scratch your car as they have so much taken over the city. Taxis in Owerri are non existent. Where are the roads they will ply? Apart from Whederal and Douglas, where else will a taxi make his money?

Let us call a spade by its proper name, maybe things will change if we change our ways.

9 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jun 19, 2015
Most of these comparisms are not constructive, fair or objective. And we should desist from them, so we don't fan the ember of disunity. Let's be ojective and constructive.

2 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by jude2011: 9:57pm On Jun 19, 2015
Father Ejike Mbaka is currently building a multi billion naira farm in my village Nkerefi in Nkanu east LGA. I went there yesterday. They are currently building 10 fish ponds, 4 massive poultry farms with 3 already completed, 4 massive shelter for pigs with 2 completed. Wow! this is surely the biggest investment in agriculture east of the niger. There are many foreign cows, goats and pigs in the farm. The chicken are more than 2,000. I don't know the exact figure of the goats,cows and pigs. Each fish pond is bigger than a football field. I am typing with a phone that has a faulty camera, so I Did not bother to take pictures. This is the biggest investment in agriculture I have ever seen. I wonder why there is no media hype about it. He told my community that he needs more lands because he wants to build a university. We have given him lands that if combined is between 1800-2500 hectres of land..
I KNOW MANY DOUBTING THOMASES WILL SAY I AM LYING. SPYDER880 IS FROM NOMEH NOT VERY FAR FROM MY VILLAGE. HE CAN CONFIRM IT OR CALL HIS NKEREFI FRIENDS TO CONFIRM. When next I travel to my village, I promise to provide picture evidence. Spyder can also drive to Nkerefi to confirm. Serious work is going on there. If you doubt travel to Nkerefi and ask of Mbaka farm. I promise you that the first thing you saw is wow! wow! Wow!

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, The Pride Of The East. by cjrane: 10:27pm On Jun 19, 2015
spyder880:

Well, I dont like comparing Igbo states, if not I would have loved to challenge you to a picture contest, picture for picture, sector by sector, Local government by local government, town by town between Enugu and Imo states. But we are too big for that.

Imo state developmental progress has been without direction in the past few years. There are no widespread housing estates developed by the government. I went to execute a project at Umuguma Owerri housing estate. No roads, total neglect.

Do you really believe the federal government helps states that are not in the opposition?

I wanted to shop in Owerri, where? Traffic in Owerri is just unforgivable. If keke napep no scratch your car as they have so much taken over the city. Taxis in Owerri are non existent. Where are the roads they will ply? Apart from Whederal and Douglas, where else will a taxi make his money?

Let us call a spade by its proper name, maybe things will change if we change our ways.

We should always ignore Abagworo.
He is an Abokii intent on destroying all Igbo threads using our help to do it. He claims to be from IMO so, Chino bombs IMO thread hoping that he is inflicting pain on Abagworo, to no avail. Then Abagworo sneaks into Anambra and Enugu threads under his numerous fake monikers to raise controversial issues in the hope he gets people roused up to post poison in those threads in response to him.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (385) (386) (387) (388) (389) (390) (391) ... (711) (Reply)

Update on developments in Anambra state-photos / Few Pics From Imo State / Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram Leader Speaks To BBC Hausa, Enjoys Killing People.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.