Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,215 members, 7,910,303 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 01:53 AM

In-laws Take Away Daughter Over Hubby’s Inability To Pay Bride Price - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / In-laws Take Away Daughter Over Hubby’s Inability To Pay Bride Price (843 Views)

What My In-Laws Served Me (photo) / Finally Got A Job After So Long, But My In-Laws Won't Let Me Have It! / Woman Caught By Her In-laws With Her Husband's Friend In A Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In-laws Take Away Daughter Over Hubby’s Inability To Pay Bride Price by r231(m): 2:13pm On Jul 03, 2012
In-laws take their daughter back after husband fails to pay the dowry
A real-life soap opera unfolded at the Oshodi Customary Court in Lagos where a man, seeking a divorce from his second wife and full custody of their young son together, revealed that his in-laws first took his wife away when he failed to pay the dowry owed.

Mr Ismail Adeniji, a school propreitor, told the court on Monday that his second wife, Abibat, had abandoned him and their son together two years ago, when the boy was only 15 months old.

He alleges that Abibat left him and entered into another marriage, but claims they were still married at the time of her second union.

The pair met under quite odd circumstances. As Adeniji tells it, he was about to travel for a programme and “needed to be with a woman,” however his wife, perhaps unwilling to indulge at the moment, introduced the third party, Abibat into the mix.

Seeking to legitimize the union, Adeniji met with Abibat’s father, who listed his dowry demands, including the lump sum of N100,000.

That proved to pricey for the school principal who told Abibat’s father that he “could only afford N30, 000 and promised to return on another date”.

However, Abibat became pregnant before Adeniji could return to her father to complete the wedding rites. He did return, though, bringing with him N30,000, considerably less than the amount the family had demanded in dowry.

His in-laws squabbled with him over the sum and the inferior quality of fabrics he brought to seek their daughter’s hand in marriage.

The matter was settled temporarily, Adeniji said. “They allowed Abibat go home with me because she was pregnant but a few weeks later, her mother brought in the police to arrest me, alleging that I stole her daughter,” he said.

He explains that his in-laws took Abibat away and she gave birth to their son months later, while she lived with them. He had limited contact with his son, who he says he named at age 15-months-old.

It was at that time that Abibat married another man, while their son stayed with her mother.

“My son has been staying with Abibat`s mother and she takes him to Ijora market where she sells pap and Akara (bean cake), “Adeniji said.

Adeniji is now asking the court to grant him custody of his son, who is currently living with his in-laws. They have so far refused to let the little boy, age two, live with his father.

A six-month pregnant Abibat, who was in court alongside her father and new husband, agreed to the divorce. Presiding judge, R.I. Adetola, listened to both parties and ordered that Abibat’s mother, along with the little boy, appear in court at a later date.

http://thisafrica.com/in-laws-take-away-daughter-over-hubbys-inability-to-pay-bride-price-2/
Re: In-laws Take Away Daughter Over Hubby’s Inability To Pay Bride Price by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jul 03, 2012

1 Like

Re: In-laws Take Away Daughter Over Hubby’s Inability To Pay Bride Price by ifyalways(f): 4:19pm On Jul 03, 2012
This tori needs deep analysis and careful dissemination. First, wife couldn't "do" her husband so she gladly brought her friend. Mumu man jump on board, no questions or reasoning. tongue
Second,man chop finish, e sweet am he decide to kuku carry am wholesale via marriage BUT did he seek the first wifes permission or opinion ?
Very funny story. Something must kill a man anywayz.
Re: In-laws Take Away Daughter Over Hubby’s Inability To Pay Bride Price by horny4u(f): 5:24pm On Jul 03, 2012
After carefully looking into the matter....Habiba is the one at fault for giving teacher the goods before full payment.

Poor son of theirs cry cry cry

(1) (Reply)

I Got Married Last Year Now Celebrating With My Bouncing Baby Girl / Will Or Can U Borrow Money To Celebrate / Parent Allow 15yr Old Daughter To Marry 70yr Old Man Because Of N3million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.