Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,511 members, 7,904,988 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 11:29 PM

Religious Issue And Confusion, Please Read This!!! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religious Issue And Confusion, Please Read This!!! (929 Views)

President Muhammad Buhari On Religious Issue / The Reasons For Ignorance And Confusion In The Body Of Christ / The State Of The Religion Forum - Blasphemy And Confusion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religious Issue And Confusion, Please Read This!!! by overloved(m): 5:37pm On Jul 03, 2012
Hello Nairalanders

I am a Nigerian in my early 20’s, I am an undergraduate student studying in Europe, and since I was born, I grew up in a home where Christianity is practiced to the fullest, My parents are devoted Christian, and they have tried their best to make sure we their offspring goes the same way too and yes, I am a Christian and I’m proud of it. But as times goes by, I begin to mix up with people from different countries in my class, see different people always from different cultural background and believes, and I start to think if the reason why there are so many religion out there are for real.

Issues concerning Religion have been making me to think deeply these days; there are many kind of religion in the world today like Christianity, Muslims, Hinduism, agnostic, free-thinkers, etc. and also the atheist that don’t believe that there is any supreme being(God). I have been thinking about issues like;

1. Which religion is the true one?
2. If the reason why there are many religion are valid (if there is God),
3. If there is life after death, and many other issues beyond my comprehension.

Christianity believe in God, Muslim believes in Mohammed, atheist do not believe in God, while many religion or practice has their own genuine reasons why they are into it, but how can someone identify if he is doing the right thing? I have entered into argument concerning Christianity with atheist and people of other religion, and they tends to defend their religion or belief so well with facts that cannot be beaten (at least by me), even many of my classmate don’t have religion or any belief, and it’s so hard to convinced them concerning the reason why they should believe in God.

Majority of the people accept religion based on the kind of family that they grew up in, I know for sure that I am a Christian because I am brought up in a Christian home, while many of my friends that are Muslim, etc are into it based on the kind of family or society that they grew up in, In that case, are we all going to say or think that there is only One God but we are worshipping him in different ways? Or they are more than one God? Or there is no God at all, and everything about religion is just a waste of time? I believe that there is only one true God and nothing more. Scientist brings out research every day that strengthens the fact most atheist use against religion when I try to convince them about Christianity, I entered a discussion with a young girl one day, and she was saying that there is no God, that ‘’if there is God, why can’t he just come down and show himself to everyone? That it’s not a hard thing for him to do’’, she also said that ‘’she sees no reason to believe in a book written by men who claim that they are inspired by God to write it and if there is God, why is there Bible, Quran and other religious books? Also, One God cannot write Quran, Bible, and other religious book’’

After the discussion with her and many other one that I got into, I always think about these issues seriously and the point that they have made because I have no satisfactory answer to them. Coming to reality, many people suffer in Nigeria, with a believe that it would be fine one day, and majority of them never live the life of which they dreamt of after constant prayers and worship towards their beliefs, and I asked myself, God is a caring God for sure, but why will he see all this people live in poverty and lack all what they want without his intervention? Will God be alive and watch boko haram bomb his children without intervention?

I am asking these because I need to know what I do not know, I have asked my parents and some other people so many times concerning these, but they all give me an unsatisfied answer while some would say that I should not think of it or bother myself about it, but I don’t think that is the best thing to do. I really need to know what I believe in and if its for real. I am not trying to say that I don’t believe in God anymore, but I think I am deceiving myself if I have all these questions in mind unanswered which leads to distraction in building a stronger faith towards God

Constructive advice are needed here, because it would save someone life or believe at least for me in making heaven.

2 Likes

Re: Religious Issue And Confusion, Please Read This!!! by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jul 03, 2012
There are a lot of threads here that can guide/lead you towards the answers you seek..
Check this thread out: https://www.nairaland.com/274559/think-im-losing-faith-god
Re: Religious Issue And Confusion, Please Read This!!! by cog1: 7:21pm On Jul 03, 2012
After reading your post,I understand your dilemma.Now,follow me,you must use your personal copy of the Bible as you do
1)Is God uncaring? The answer is no. Read James 1:13;God allowing bad things to happen does not mean he is the cause. There's a big difference between allowing something and causing it.
2)Is God happy about the terrible things happening? No again. God is a lover of Justice. Read Psalms 37:28
God felt hurt at his heart at the badness that filled the world in ancient times Read Genesis 6:5,6
God has not changed.Read Malachi 3:6 God cares for you Read 1Peter 5:7
If you had the power to change the wicked things in the world you would,right? Yes because we've been wired that way and we were wired in God's image,that is to say to resemble his qualities. Read Gen.1:26;1John 4:8,
3)You must have heard about how Satan challenged God and made the human race fall from perfection to the present disgraceful state. Read Genesis 2:7;3:6.
Romans 5:12;3:23. God's perfect sense of justice would not allow him to put the rebels to death straight away because time was neede to prove who the real deceiver was back then,now over aeons of years down the line,you and I know for a certainty who the real deceiver was back then,or don't you?
Were Adam & Eve right to believe Satan who had never done anything good for them?
Was it right for them to believe that Jehovah who had given them everything they had,is a cruel liar?
After the fall,God allowed them to find out for themselves who was telling the truth and who was lieing.The drama began,
You and I are part of the unfolding drama,whose side are you on? God's or Satan's,the ball is in your court.
4)Who really rules the world? Read John 12:31;14:30;16:11. Who really rules the world? Wake up,answer me on your thread,let's see if you understand that You and I can either serve God or the devil,its a choice really,do not expect God to hold you by the collar and demand worship,even if all tha atheists in the world decide not to worship God as they've decided,God can raise up stones to sing his praise.Alleluia.
5)How will Satan's world be removed? Read Rev.16:14-16;Isaiah 9:6,7,Matthew 6:10;Daniel 2:44. The Bible reveals that the time is near when God will eliminate the wicked world during his war of Armageddon,Rev16:14-16 refer,this will make way for a righteous new world with Jesus Christ as ruler of that heavenly kingdom that is why you and I should keep praying "Let your kingdom come" then Gods kingdom will usher in an earthly paradise.
6)The Bible assures us there are new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness is to dwell Read 2Peter 3:13;Isaiah 65:17; in the coming new world,those approved by God would receive the gift of everlasting life Mark 10:30,at that time we will witness these blessings namely;
7)Rev 21:4 He will wipe out every tear from their eyes(whether by Boko haram or whatever)
Isaiah 35:6 The lame one will climb up just as the stag does;
Isaiah 35:5 the eyes of the blind ones will be opened
John 5:28,29 All those dead in the memorial tombs will come out.Alleluia Satan will ultimately be defeated
Look for Jehovah's witnesses in your area and ask them any question they'll defend it from passages in your own Bible,I'm not one but if you want to meet christians who can defend their faith go to them with all your questions includinhg the ones on evolution.
Do you believe that what God says he will do?
Yes,I believe.
Re: Religious Issue And Confusion, Please Read This!!! by Ptolomeus(m): 7:37pm On Jul 03, 2012
cog1:
Alleluia Satan will ultimately be defeated

1. That God has been thousands of years trying to defeat Satan, and so far has not been.
Well, it's good news that "ultimately Satan will be defeated".

2. Jheova's Witnesses refuse to receive blood transfusions ...
That is, they leave their wives die and / or children by denying them a transfusion that would save them. It's a wild sect, backward and criminal.
There is nothing of God in that sect, who left to die innocent children ....
Re: Religious Issue And Confusion, Please Read This!!! by cyrexx: 8:31pm On Jul 03, 2012
@ op
welcome to the real world.
you have now begun to ask some questions every rational mind must ask.
Re: Religious Issue And Confusion, Please Read This!!! by gendebs(m): 9:35pm On Jul 03, 2012
Chucks follow your heart. I will and will never advise to believe in God or to believe he does not exist just do what you think is right. I once deviated from christianity for some month based on what I read on the religion section of Nairaland (thanks to Logic mind and co). Everything happening in the world today have biblical prophesy. Jesus said in the bible "will I meet any righteous man if I come back". God have given us the brain to choose what is right and wrong when we get to heaven we will account for any thing we believe.
Re: Religious Issue And Confusion, Please Read This!!! by cog1: 12:26am On Jul 04, 2012
At Ptolomeus,it would have been nice if you came up with your own arguments,your entire post is my post reposted.
The young man is supposed to have been helped by that I hope.
I'm on the side of telling people the truth and leaving them to make their own informed decision based on the fact at hand.
The OP made a statement about not being able to defend what he believes in as vigorously as the so called atheists and whether we like it or no,the Jehovah's witnesses know the Bible in and out,the atheist equally relies on research & publications they read made by other atheist to advance their points,jehovah's witnesses are good at publications too,so read and defend your faith vigorously as well,voila.
FYI,the issue of the use of blood in the medical field is still a very widely uncharted path because of the existence of viruses and other yet to be identified blood borne ailments and pathogens.
Tell me,what issues do you have with someone who says because of God's express command at Acts 5:28,29 and based on the inherent dangers in blood which BTW is a good incubation medium for pathogenic microorganisms,the individual says I want the highest level of healthcare for my family,what issues do you have with that?
The last time I checked,thousands of bloodless surgeries have been successfully undertaken by the Jehovah's Witnesses including open heart bypass surgery one of the hardest.
Please,medicine has advanced to the point where blood fractions such as white blood cells!blood volume expanders,platelets,etc can be used so who says the Jehovah Witnesses don't have options apart from using whole blood.
While we are at it,there was a story of a nice old man who needed knee reconstructive surgery.After the surgery performed with blood,the old man on returning home suddenly developed kleptomanic tendencies from nowhere that were not there before,tell me if you were the one would you not suspect that prolly he has been infused with the blood of a thief. Most times thieves say they don't know why they stole something when they are being beaten.
My 2cents.
Re: Religious Issue And Confusion, Please Read This!!! by overloved(m): 2:01am On Jul 04, 2012
@cog1

your first reply was really helpful, including the bible passage, but your second reply to ptolomeus deals with sciences and blood issues that concern medicine and health, i dont think it give answers to questions which i seek, no offence intended please, and be aware that if i study it and have any further question, i would refer it to this thread and i hope you answer them.

you know, it is only a foolish person that always say ''YES'' to everything he his told, and that is what religion is all about, all these created doubt in someones mind and there are some questions that you might ask, and it would be like you are asking what is bigger than your brain, and that some things are beyond man and should not be known as far christianity is concerns, this are the kind of answers that i have always get form people who cant answer my question, or probably to a satisfactory manner.
Re: Religious Issue And Confusion, Please Read This!!! by cyrexx: 8:13am On Jul 04, 2012
cyrexx: @ op
welcome to the real world.
you have now begun to ask some questions every rational mind must ask.

let me add to my statement by stating that that
religion, in this case christianity, will offer you a convoluted and contradictory logic and unsatisfactory answers to your questions and will demand that you "believe by faith" or else you risk losing your "salvation" and you might end up in eternal hell where you will be tortured forever. this is the greatest mind control mechanism ever invented by humans. kudos to whoever come up with this.

while rational thinking and secular human reasoning (pls note, not neccessarily atheism) will be honest with you and only give the answers that human thus far has discovered and can be logically proved with solid evidence. as knowledge increases all these mysteries in our world will be solved by rational and scientific thinking. e.g mankind thought diseases was caused by the gods but now we know better

while religion may offer you comfort of an imaginary sky daddy who "watches over" you plus the hope of a blissful mythical unverifiable second life,
rational thinking and science offers a reasonable and reliable truth which no reasonable doubt can challenge. plus you don't get to surrender your precious mind to advanced manipulation and control of any religious system.

so it finally up to you to take your pick. comfort or truth
Re: Religious Issue And Confusion, Please Read This!!! by Nobody: 8:27am On Jul 04, 2012
@Cyrexx:
I know a few people may want to use this post against you, but I will go ahead with it.

cyrexx: i believe christianity and atheism had little to nothing in common, and each one should follow what he really believes. and we should respect each other and not try to convert another person to one's belief system. i am a christian and my belief system has answers to some questions that atheism didn't have (like who created the world and every other complex phenomenon we observe including our great minds we use in reasoning) while atheists are not bound by some of our rules for living since, according to their belief system, there is no judgement, no afterlife, no heaven or hell, no Higher Being etc. i respect that. another thing is that I as a Christian cannot prove 100% that God exists while atheists cannot prove 100% that God does not exist, but we can learn one or two thing to strengthen or reshape our different belief system with MUTUAL RESPECT for each other not try to call anyone a fool. we will never really know who is right or wrong until hundreds of years from now, i think. thats my submission
This is one of your posts from a while back. I too used to be a Christian. You can check my profile to confirm that. I'm agnostic now, though I learn more towards atheism than theism.
Since you became an atheist, I'm sure you may have questioned those 'experiences' you may have had while being a Christian.
Of course, if you didn't have any of those experiences, sorry for bothering you.

If you did, how do you explain them now? Do you think those experiences were valid? Answers to prayers, for example..
Re: Religious Issue And Confusion, Please Read This!!! by cyrexx: 9:59am On Jul 04, 2012
musKeeto: @Cyrexx:
I know a few people may want to use this post against you, but I will go ahead with it.

This is one of your posts from a while back. I too used to be a Christian. You can check my profile to confirm that. I'm agnostic now, though I learn more towards atheism than theism.
Since you became an atheist, I'm sure you may have questioned those 'experiences' you may have had while being a Christian.
Of course, if you didn't have any of those experiences, sorry for bothering you.

If you did, how do you explain them now? Do you think those experiences were valid? Answers to prayers, for example..

Sir MusKeeto, i hail o. you are a very observant mind. big kudos to you.

i posted those when i just came into nairaland. then i was an agnostic christian (you can can confirm from my similar posts around that time). i still have some percentage of some confusing christian religious beliefs i have not fully uninstalled then. but as time goes on i realised that those biblical inconsistencies and irrationalities can NEVER be reconciled. and i must make a choice: either stick to my religious mind and accept them by "faith" else i "perish in hell" OR use my reasonable mind and follow a rational path of truth wherever it might lead me. of course you know my choice now.

then i must say i'm still an agnostic atheist in a sense because just like religion, science and rational thought has not yet provided all the answers to all the questions of life. so, regarding some issues e.g. origin of life, i must say "i dont know" that's the agnostic side of my atheism. but i dont believe there is any god anywhere who cares what i believe and has such a weak self-esteem as to be offended by my beliefs or non-beliefs about him and would later torture me forever in a mythical second life for rejecting a belief system he has not provided a valid evidence for. No, that is just NOT TRUE

now to answer your question: answers to prayers is nothing more than probabilities that could have happened to anybody in any religion whether you prayed or not. i have had some "answers" to my prayers and even some "spiritual visions". yes it may be hard to believe but its true. there is more i could say about that but these websites provides in more detail everything i wanted to say about it

http://godisimaginary.com/i1.htm
http://godisimaginary.com/i2.htm
http://godisimaginary.com/i8.htm

about the spiritual bornagain experiences, the emotions and feelings and "visions" are very real, but they are largely subjective and depend your previous religious beliefs. those experieces are not a true valid evidence of truth as buddhists and muslims also have their own version of experiences that "confirms" their faith.

about their "peace that passeth understanding" it's simply a feeling of psychological grandeur or some emotional (but they will call it spiritual) relief. i mean who would not feel relieved with "salvation" after "escaping" the "hell" that you "deserved to go":

i can give more explanation but this thread is not about me. the websites below explains perfectly everything i wanted to say about those experiences and my personal beliefs.

http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/DebunkingChristians/Page3.htm
http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/DebunkingChristians/Page15.htm

i hope i have answered your questions.

cheers, my good friend

Re: Religious Issue And Confusion, Please Read This!!! by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jul 04, 2012
Thanks for your elucidation. I'm still wandering round this world, lots and lots of questions. I hope I find a balance but if I don't, I remain a faithful servant of REASON and LOGIC. They're the only Gods that have been kind to humans, solved most of their problems..
Re: Religious Issue And Confusion, Please Read This!!! by truthislight: 3:13pm On Jul 04, 2012
cog1: After reading your post,I understand your dilemma.Now,follow me,you must use your personal copy of the Bible as you do
1)Is God uncaring? The answer is no. Read James 1:13;God allowing bad things to happen does not mean he is the cause. There's a big difference between allowing something and causing it.
2)Is God happy about the terrible things happening? No again. God is a lover of Justice. Read Psalms 37:28
God felt hurt at his heart at the badness that filled the world in ancient times Read Genesis 6:5,6
God has not changed.Read Malachi 3:6 God cares for you Read 1Peter 5:7
If you had the power to change the wicked things in the world you would,right? Yes because we've been wired that way and we were wired in God's image,that is to say to resemble his qualities. Read Gen.1:26;1John 4:8,
3)You must have heard about how Satan challenged God and made the human race fall from perfection to the present disgraceful state. Read Genesis 2:7;3:6.
Romans 5:12;3:23. God's perfect sense of justice would not allow him to put the rebels to death straight away because time was neede to prove who the real deceiver was back then,now over aeons of years down the line,you and I know for a certainty who the real deceiver was back then,or don't you?
Were Adam & Eve right to believe Satan who had never done anything good for them?
Was it right for them to believe that Jehovah who had given them everything they had,is a cruel liar?
After the fall,God allowed them to find out for themselves who was telling the truth and who was lieing.The drama began,
You and I are part of the unfolding drama,whose side are you on? God's or Satan's,the ball is in your court.
4)Who really rules the world? Read John 12:31;14:30;16:11. Who really rules the world? Wake up,answer me on your thread,let's see if you understand that You and I can either serve God or the devil,its a choice really,do not expect God to hold you by the collar and demand worship,even if all tha atheists in the world decide not to worship God as they've decided,God can raise up stones to sing his praise.Alleluia.
5)How will Satan's world be removed? Read Rev.16:14-16;Isaiah 9:6,7,Matthew 6:10;Daniel 2:44. The Bible reveals that the time is near when God will eliminate the wicked world during his war of Armageddon,Rev16:14-16 refer,this will make way for a righteous new world with Jesus Christ as ruler of that heavenly kingdom that is why you and I should keep praying "Let your kingdom come" then Gods kingdom will usher in an earthly paradise.
6)The Bible assures us there are new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness is to dwell Read 2Peter 3:13;Isaiah 65:17; in the coming new world,those approved by God would receive the gift of everlasting life Mark 10:30,at that time we will witness these blessings namely;
7)Rev 21:4 He will wipe out every tear from their eyes(whether by Boko haram or whatever)
Isaiah 35:6 The lame one will climb up just as the stag does;
Isaiah 35:5 the eyes of the blind ones will be opened
John 5:28,29 All those dead in the memorial tombs will come out.Alleluia Satan will ultimately be defeated
Look for Jehovah's witnesses in your area and ask them any question they'll defend it from passages in your own Bible,I'm not one but if you want to meet christians who can defend their faith go to them with all your questions includinhg the ones on evolution.
Do you believe that what God says he will do?
Yes,I believe.

Cog1
What a beautiful post.
Though i have observe that u have the capacity to addres the young man issues from ur mind u rather summited to a superior rationale. Good of u.

How different u are from cyrexx and muskeeto, they were busy relating how false religion use there brain in the past, and believe that the same brain they use in bragging then is not still deceiving then right now.

If they have humble themself to go through the scriptures in ur post and subsequently try to ask rational question for or against we will have seen where they are coming from.

Meanwhile, reading there post i found out theirs is the experience of all this delusive people that does not appeal to reason or logic. But what cog1 posted is a rational case if only one takes the time to go through the scriptural references.

Why most people use their false religiouse experience as a benchmark case beat my imagination.
Without rational reason(foundation) from the bible one can not stand firm and defend the bible.

The understanding of the bible is not a magical process or instanter thing but effort and time is necessary.

What u did befor was to answer to a so call man of god yes that u want jesus to be ur lord and personal saviour without reason.

This guy cog1 from his post can rationally tell his left from his right and can stand any and defend his case but he is more interested in asking the young lad to rationally weigh his options for and against.
and not to show brain power. And what he is suggesting is different from what was use to deceive u.

Cog1
Thanks a million.
Peace
Re: Religious Issue And Confusion, Please Read This!!! by Ptolomeus(m): 5:14pm On Jul 04, 2012
cog1:
1. Tell me,what issues do you have with someone who says because of God's express command at Acts 5:28,29 and based on the inherent dangers in blood which BTW is a good incubation medium for pathogenic microorganisms,the individual says I want the highest level of healthcare for my family,what issues do you have with that?
The last time I checked,thousands of bloodless surgeries have been successfully undertaken by the Jehovah's Witnesses including open heart bypass surgery one of the hardest.
Please,medicine has advanced to the point where blood fractions such as white blood cells!blood volume expanders,platelets,etc can be used so who says the Jehovah Witnesses don't have options apart from using whole blood.
While we are at it,there was a story of a nice old man who needed knee reconstructive surgery.After the surgery performed with blood,the old man on returning home suddenly developed kleptomanic tendencies from nowhere that were not there before,tell me if you were the one would you not suspect that prolly he has been infused with the blood of a thief. Most times thieves say they don't know why they stole something when they are being beaten.
2. My 2cents.

I did not answer, but you're asking me to do ...

1. It is a group of criminally insane. This stupidity has cost many lives of men, women and children. You accuse other religions of savagery??
A religion (whichever) should serve to make people better, improve their quality of life and spirituality ... What you mentioned is something wild, inhuman and unworthy.
(You wanted to know my opinion, there you have it)

2. You should have spent more ... Sometimes it ends up being less expensive.

My respects.

1 Like

Re: Religious Issue And Confusion, Please Read This!!! by truthislight: 6:05pm On Jul 04, 2012
Ptolomeus:

I did not answer, but you're asking me to do ...

1. It is a group of criminally insane. This stupidity has cost many lives of men, women and children. You accuse other religions of savagery??
A religion (whichever) should serve to make people better, improve their quality of life and spirituality ... What you mentioned is something wild, inhuman and unworthy.
(You wanted to know my opinion, there you have it)

2. You should have spent more ... Sometimes it ends up being less expensive.

My respects.

bro, i dont understand what u have pen down.
Can u try and explain urself again so that we can get the gist of it.
Thanks
Re: Religious Issue And Confusion, Please Read This!!! by Ptolomeus(m): 7:40pm On Jul 04, 2012
truthislight:

bro, i dont understand what u have pen down.
Can u try and explain urself again so that we can get the gist of it.
Thanks

Yes bro, my pen is down.
regards,

1 Like

Re: Religious Issue And Confusion, Please Read This!!! by truthislight: 9:45pm On Jul 04, 2012
Ptolomeus:

Yes bro, my pen is down.
regards,

hahahahahahahaha. Lol.
Good one friend,
on a lighter mood.
I never thought i will be laughing this much.

Pls, pick up ur pen.
Pls, make use of it.
Ant u a funny chap?
Cool, i love that.
Peace
Re: Religious Issue And Confusion, Please Read This!!! by tobzzy(m): 1:07pm On Dec 21, 2015
overloved:
@cog1

Brother i seriously need to talk to you.... my email ahmed.toyib@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

The Other Side Of Religion... / Jesus Was Not God's Son / Miracle Of God Through Baba Peculiar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.