Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,531 members, 7,951,213 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 12:31 PM

Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? (6059 Views)

7 Reasons Why I Am Forced To Agree It's A Man's World / Kenyan Man Forced To Have Sex With A Woman In Public (video) / Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jul 04, 2012
12Y4

1 Like

Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by adorebee(f): 4:33pm On Jul 04, 2012
ZUBY77: The solution to that problem is too simple. Impregnant the girl and her parents will be begging you to just show your face.
>>>>hahahaha ROTFL.MR ZUBBY,hw is mrs ZUBBY and baby?

1 Like

Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by UKBobo(m): 4:53pm On Jul 04, 2012
CHI

i am tired of this tradition, contemplatin marryin a non-igbo but a catholic woman.

Try Mid-belt region. Plenty of my ibo broddas in London have gone fishing there with long rod and indestructible bait.
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by UKBobo(m): 4:56pm On Jul 04, 2012
The solution to that problem is too simple. Impregnant the girl and her parents will be begging you to just show your face.

True talk - even 1 simple dudu osun soap and bottle of groundnut go carry bride price 4 family. They will make full soup replete with meat whenever they see your shadow!
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by chic2pimp(m): 5:01pm On Jul 04, 2012
.......And yet we wonder why Nigeria is so backwards
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by cyril83(m): 6:04pm On Jul 04, 2012
sosoluv: The problem is simple to solve if u are so worried abt ur pocket, go get a woman who thinks the same way u think. Get married to her and stop bothering the rest who think otherwise
so you mean to tell me that's enuf reasons for your papa to sell you out like a monger...anyway its not genuine coz such idea can be traced to igboland
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by cyril83(m): 6:09pm On Jul 04, 2012
yuzedo: Marriage is expensive in Naija so that when you marry woman, before you divorce am u go think twice about all the money wey u don trowey! grin grin grin
somebdy is making a mistake here,point of corection not in nigeria,in igboland parents don't sell out their daughters in yoruba land
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by ZUBY77(m): 8:31pm On Jul 04, 2012
adorebee: >>>>hahahaha ROTFL.MR ZUBBY,hw is mrs ZUBBY and baby?

Fine oohh... The little terrorist decides when i sleep and wake up in the night.
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by kandiikane(m): 9:37pm On Jul 04, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
Cows and sheeps were worth fortune back in the day so you got lucky.

O

I was going to post this exact thing.

@op To you, what might seem like chicken shid now, was blood, sweat and tears back then. (Did you know many had to build houses even by themselves?)

If you don't want to marry chick you can always remain single.
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by ikekings(m): 10:42pm On Jul 04, 2012
Lyk one of d guys said get the girl pregnant....... Na d gal parents go Cari d gal come to ur house nd even dash d gal to u without paying kobo....lol...
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by Nobody: 4:53am On Jul 05, 2012
B
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by LordReed(m): 4:55am On Jul 05, 2012
claremont: This is one aspect of our culture that has to be looked at critically. What most people do not understand is that the culture of 'bride price' not only cheapens the Nigerian female, but it also invariably means that the Nigerian female is a commodity (not much different from any grocery item) that can be bought and sold at a price. The good news is that most educated families in Nigeria no longer practise such culture, it seems to be limited to the illiterates and bare-lettered sections of our society.

What a joke! I live in a "well lettered" middle class neighbourhood and all the weddings that have taken place there have always involved so form of traditional rites or the other so I don't know were you get your notion from.

@OP
I have known of people who did weddings for N300,000 and less. It all depends on your families or if you are the aggressive type you can bull your way into doing it your way.

However for now people are caught up with the whole wedding splash thing so don't expect a general societal change yet.
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by ladgentle(m): 1:31pm On Jul 05, 2012
In my own opinion we should stick to traditional marriage ceremonies,then go the registry for registration, for documentation and official purposes. The so called 'white wedding' is an unnecessary imposition.
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by nwanioma(f): 2:16pm On Jul 05, 2012
Come why all these complains sef! Poor people get married every day. It you guys that constantly feel like there is some standard to live up to that feel pressured by all these. Except the girl no wan marry, go there with what you have, i have not heard of a marriage that didn't happen because he didn't bring everything on the list. Tell them u'll owe them the rest. carry your wife and go home. simple
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by Jaywon242(m): 2:26pm On Jul 05, 2012
from what I ve heard from pple and from Igbo gurls too,d bride price is more expensive than dat of the yorubas and some other ethnic groups in Nigeria. Bt d fact remains that it depends on d kind of family u re marrying from. Am getting married early nxt year and d whole expenses we planned spending is abt N600,000.
And moreover dowry means: AN AMOUNT OF MONEY OR PROPERTY WHICH A WOMAN'S PARENTS GIVE TO THE MAN SHE MARRIES. But seems in Nigeria,it's been the reverse. Can smone xplain d difference between BRIDE PRICE AND DOWRY(IN D NIGERIAN CONTEXT)? It's kinda confusing
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by AdeniyiA(m): 4:44pm On Jul 05, 2012
Lordave: I was there when my dad droped £15k as ma mum's bride price. Dat was B4 the war.
i dont undstnd dis guy, u be product of 'on credit' or u were dea as a ghost or oh! ookk, u dey inside 'tube' dey hear wetin dem dey talk. for outside. sharp sharp parent
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by AdeniyiA(m): 5:01pm On Jul 05, 2012
ever wonder y dea ar many unmarried nowdays? dis is jst it. come to think of it y paying more for 'low quality' - promiscuity is d order of d day, maidens of dos days were known to maintain a high level of chastity not d '2nd hand n over-laid of nwadays' ,were loyal,hardworking- not parasitic n liabilities. they stood behind their hus thru thick n thin,never left 'em . hah! smh . wat has civilization done to us?
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jul 05, 2012
claremont: This is one aspect of our culture that has to be looked at critically. What most people do not understand is that the culture of 'bride price' not only cheapens the Nigerian female, but it also invariably means that the Nigerian female is a commodity (not much different from any grocery item) that can be bought and sold at a price. The good news is that most educated families in Nigeria no longer practise such culture, it seems to be limited to the illiterates and bare-lettered sections of our society.

Yes! 3 gbosas! cheesy
Re: Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? by Konnektions146(m): 8:37pm On Jul 05, 2012
^^^
at least yu are reasonable, not minding some toddler that come here and say people lament cos of poverty, as if she knows what money makin is all abt.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do You Cry When You Kiss / She Is Gay Bt Married To Straight N Sleeps With Her Sister-in-law! Advice Needed / Topic completely hacked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.