Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,331 members, 7,943,823 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 04:46 AM

Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? (23660 Views)

New Naira Notes Ready September Ending – CBN / Are You Still In Possession Of Old Naira Notes? / New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by fortyfeet(m): 5:02pm On Jul 06, 2012
no moi moi, i keep my coins. not this days moi moi but those then on peak milk can. enjoyed it.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by microgiant: 5:03pm On Jul 06, 2012
The exchange rate was N1 = 1Pound = $2.
Level 01 worker earned N128 which was equal to $256
Then came IBB and IMF insisted on devaluing our currency.
The naira was devalued to N10 to $1
Salary was increased to N350, workers danced over the increment but later discovered they have been short changed.
350 was exchanging for $35 in import dependent economy, that is when real poverty started.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by poweredcom(m): 5:06pm On Jul 06, 2012
I remember all dis coins ooo na wa Nigeria is finished ooo and all these are due to IBB regime when he borrowed money from the IMF and our money started to loose value and couple with his theft and lootin
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jul 06, 2012
I wasn't alive then but I got those notes and coins cool
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by davida222(m): 5:20pm On Jul 06, 2012
Befor a bottle of coke in Nigeria used
to sell for just 10 naira what has
happened to nigeria naira. Is nigeria
moving foward or backward. I
remenber wen i first came to the U.S,
for studys i came with just 2500naira and 20kobo in 1989 and it lasted for a
full 9 months, i remenber paying for a
house offcampus 4 just 200 naira to
u.s dollers then. So my Question is
what has gone wrong with The giant
of Africa?
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by EMOGROUP: 5:24pm On Jul 06, 2012
Garba Audu: The good old days. This is the kind of thread that should be making front page on nairaland. God bless you Dr. Joe.
my brother I say a big Amen to that. I am really touched reading all this. Its so painful to know how our economy and currency have depreciated.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jul 06, 2012
good thread, i always go to school with 10kobo for my Nasco biscuit and Reno drink. happy olden days.
grin grin
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by SOLLYBOY1: 5:29pm On Jul 06, 2012
Pls some one shd give us more of these old lovely notes
lovely days...........
and so sad........................
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by dasparrow: 5:32pm On Jul 06, 2012
@Post

I remember those days. 10 kobo could get you 1 puff-puff. You need to see me chewing my puff-puff with my mouth and hands all greasy after eating, lol. Agh, I miss the past. I wonder how our currency looks like today
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jul 06, 2012
Ahh, the 90s, what a beauty.

Kulikulis were 1 naira. Pure water was 5naira. Rice and stew were 10nairas. lol
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by yokiti: 5:48pm On Jul 06, 2012
I will not forget the beating I got from my mum for misplacing the 50 kobo I was sent to buy ogi with.
Where is the ice cream, nico sweet, lolly and choco milo of those day?

God deliver Nigeria from the cankerworm and the caterpillars!
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by claremont(m): 5:53pm On Jul 06, 2012
During my days, only 'big boys' could afford to bring 50 kobo note to school as pocket money. Naija don spoil finish! grin
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jul 06, 2012
my mum said they used this one pound grin grin grin

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Crown128(m): 6:00pm On Jul 06, 2012
ACM10: The 50 kobo coins shown here is the most recent one. I think 50 kobo was once in notes. Can someone confirm?
yes,it looks like former N5 paper note. Even till early 90s
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by SpiritofOkija(m): 6:01pm On Jul 06, 2012
Notice the Arabic inscription has always been in our monies...
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jul 06, 2012
one shilling too

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jul 06, 2012
My god cry cry cry , IBB why na, why? Oh IBB, how evil can you be to plunch your fellow country men into such destructive IMF policies (currency devaluation), Structural adjustment e.t.c. No single IMF policy has ever succeeded throughout history, every country that followed those policies got their economies ruined. E.g, Russia (1990s), Argentina (1990s), Chile, Thailand, Indonesia, Phillipines all in the 90s, the only country that rejected those policies is Malaysia, and go and see how malaysia is developed today. Nigeria used to be boasting of industries and factories in every corner of the country, agriculture was so developed that helicopters were used to fumigate the vast cotton fields of the north, palm oil trees dominate the southern landscape, cocoa and cassava was huge in south west, in those days, all the residential areas will be empty in the morning because majority of people are in factories working, we used to be an exporter nation, the naira was strong, and all of a sudden IBB came and destroyed everything via IMF policies, OBJ did the same, unfortunately even GEJ is too friendly with the IMF, and now we hear rumors of a n1000 naira note which is further devaluation, removing subsidy which means structural adjustment, excessive privatisation of critical national assets angry which every sane person should know its bad, so in a sense even now its like IBB's regime all over again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by bonetalk(m): 6:17pm On Jul 06, 2012
I could remember when i was in primary 2 then, my grandma used to give me 50kobo to eat rice in the break-time from one tapa woman in my primary school, but worst part of it, was when i used to steal some 1naira and 50kobe coins from her cupboard without her consent, but fortunately for me, she didn't know and she used to tell people that i dont steal, this is what that made me and motivated me to stop stealing coins from her cupboard till i grew older, coz i didn't want to break the trust she had in me.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Sylverbox(m): 6:23pm On Jul 06, 2012
I can see dat agriculture was key in 9ja den, its all over d coins...i used 2 earn N2.50k per wk in pri schl those days..wow! Good old days!
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jul 06, 2012
bonetalk: I could remember when i was in primary 2 then, my grandma used to give me 50kobo to eat rice in the break-time from one tapa woman in my primary school, but worst part of it, was when i used to steal some 1naira and 50kobe coins from her cupboard without her consent, but fortunately for me, she didn't know and she used to tell people that i dont steal, this is what that made me and motivated me to stop stealing coins from her cupboard till i grew older, coz i didn't want to break the trust she had in me.

My brother, that plate of rice today is N300 - N500 with out meat.. grin grin
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by avicky(f): 6:51pm On Jul 06, 2012
T-smooth:
This are new abi? because during my days there is no money, we exchange goods using trade by barter. You would give a whole cow for her to give u a common G.string!
Which days of yore is dt?
Mehn, u got me rolling on d floor.
LWKM!
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by kilimanjaro(m): 7:09pm On Jul 06, 2012
I remember the day i took 50kobo i saw on the floor to school, Omo, come see levels. I bought condense-milk for all my friends and still had change.
Naija don pafuka!
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by tiebe: 7:30pm On Jul 06, 2012
my now late uncle gave me N1 when i came first in primary one! i thot the world had ended! i was sooooo proud!

another friend of mine remembers when as a child, she danced at her some occasion and someone sprayed her N5 note. and when she showed her elder bro, he shook his head and said 'after all your dancing, this is all you were given?' he decided to HELP her double the money and gave her 2 N1 notes. his logic was that since there were 2 notes, she now had more money. she being a baby that couldnt count yet thot she'd hit the jack pot!

Sylverbox: I can see dat agriculture was key in 9ja den, its all over d coins...i used 2 earn N2.50k per wk in pri schl those days..wow! Good old days!

interesting o! i ddnt even look at it like that. good stuff.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by davechika(m): 7:54pm On Jul 06, 2012
My O my.....see hw yrs fly.i rememba those days of dandy and bubble chewing gums,the sweetest buiscuits then...Nasco biscuits,Nasco wafers,Trebor sweets,coca cola was in 25cl,the best lager beer then (dint taste any but for visitors) Premier lager beer,Golden Guinea Lager beer, Bergedorf lager beer,33 lager beer,Green sands shandy,10 cups of garri was #10 kobo,the only long distance mass transit i know the was Ekene dilli chukwu and izu chukwu transport company,i remember our prestigious black and white National tv (if ur changing tv channels someone in sokoto will be hearing the noise as u change channels, no need for Auto search cos its already tuned.) also my favourite tv programs normally starts from 4pm (after that boring educational tv programs)VOLTRON,SuperTed,Danger Mouse, my paper aeroplanes didn't fly in the direction I wanted them to,when records plates were DVD's of today,there is one big radio cassette tape my dad was using in his 504 car then,also i rememba then Ghananians were every where in our neighbour hood,ahhhhhhaaa my brown CURTINA shoes for school not these days that kids wear TIMBERLAND boots to classroom,.meeennnn its good to see matured dudes here on nairaland cos most of the ids are not common.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 8:23pm On Jul 06, 2012
Aaah those were the good days, those days where you could buy baba dudu for 1 kobo. wink
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jul 06, 2012
its really good to have your comments here, honestly, those days were better in terms of economy. my father bought his first car for 300naira, the car was 404 Peugeot.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by davechika(m): 8:55pm On Jul 06, 2012
i copied this comment from a sister thread like this and taught i should share it.makes a so much poin though.

Reference: Nice way of aging various posters and contributors so we know those not worth responding to purely on account of immaturity.

www.nairaland.com/980237/remembered-used-this/10
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Callimo(m): 9:11pm On Jul 06, 2012
Ah! The good old days,
My 5kobo, my 10 kobo.
I remember the famous Akara Mary grin grin grin , Our usual for braek time.
This 10 kobo really put me for wahala those days.

The tapping and piffery of those sweet pld daays grin grin grin
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by isalegan2: 10:01pm On Jul 06, 2012
mummy3: . . . .May be naija wasn’t so good o as at then
We only thought it was good because we were still children and all we needed was provided for us. . .

Hmmm. Nope! cry Naija really was good at some point in time. Very darn good, in fact. Don't make me tell stories o. There are some real old-timers around here - I will start naming names shortly. lol. We They just keep their heads down. You want all my ancient peeps to start coming out of the woodwork and posting as if leisure suits, afro (sheen) and disco are back in style? shocked embarassed

microgiant: The exchange rate was N1 = 1Pound = $2.
Level 01 worker earned N128 which was equal to $256
Then came IBB and IMF insisted on devaluing our currency.
The naira was devalued to N10 to $1

Salary was increased to N350, workers danced over the increment but later discovered they have been short changed.
350 was exchanging for $35 in import dependent economy, that is when real poverty started.

Someone should tell Cap28 about this thread. Hey, bro! cheesy
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Seyilome(m): 10:07pm On Jul 06, 2012
cogbuagu: Yes, i remember all these, but guy the lie there na
the 1/2 kobo, I never see or used that one ooo.
i have very other notes during its time.
which year then use 1/2 please.
No u form am?
actually 1/2 k was still spent early 90s i even spend it i was in primry 2 then.ho! If i could turn back the hand of time,i would have done it.like is getting worst.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Seyilome(m): 10:21pm On Jul 06, 2012
buchai: Those days we used 2 see coins on d street even d rusty coins can be cleand wit foot. Dat tym wetin we sabi na kulikuli, danguiya, kulier evn sugar kain u can buy dem wit 10k or 5k, 50k na big moni dt tym, i rememba my primary scool dem, scool fees na btw N20 or N25 den corpers way served in my scool na only white dem dey wear.
them no be corpers,them be student teachers from teachers training college.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods / Diamond Bank Dominates Nigerian Stock Exchange / Transportation Business In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.