Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,978 members, 7,873,140 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:37 AM

GSM Mobile Phones Are Not So Good For Business!!! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / GSM Mobile Phones Are Not So Good For Business!!! (919 Views)

Best Nigerian Bank For Business Account / Is Shoprite Business Good For Nigeria? / Laptops And Mobile Phones Import To Nigeria From Europe And USA – Good Biz? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

GSM Mobile Phones Are Not So Good For Business!!! by charlsecy4(m): 1:52am On Jul 07, 2012
GSM mobile phones are a major communication tool. They provide a means of keeping in touch with family, friends, customers and associates.

Ironically, GSM phones have been harmful to a host of businesses such as transportation and hospitality firms, trade, banks, and so forth.

I know you may be surprised "what the hell is this guy talking about?" Don't worry. After my explanation, you will understand what I mean.

The use of GSM phones is harmful especially to the road transport industry
Transportation and telecommunication are competitive. With the widespread use of GSM phones, the transportation industry has been suffering. My father used to embark on a business trip to Lagos at least 4 times a month. But I can can truly tell you that he only made 2 business trips to Lagos the whole of last year (2011) on account of increased use of GSM phones!

Some big-time transport firms, for example in Onitsha, used to float about 10 big luxurious buses daily to service Onitsha > Lagos route, but today, they engage only 3 buses, and still have difficulty securing passengers. This could translate into loss of employment for some transport service workers.

Hospitality firms are also adversely affected
Hotels, restaurants, relaxation joints, etc. are not enjoying the poor patronage occasioned by low number of travellers.

The use of GSM phones encourages bad credit in some trade
This is most appropriately applicable to businesses that sell non-fashion goods. Sellers and retailers in such businesses prefer to call their suppliers on phone rather than do an actual visit. They would place calls to suppliers, requesting goods without paying a Kobo into their accounts. Due to stiff competition and poor sales, suppliers are keen to send the goods in the hope of getting payment later. Suppliers also consider that if they don't send the goods, their competitors may key into the request, and it could be perishable goods.

Due to poor sales, this unbridled credit system could result in bad debt and collapse of businesses. Entry is also highly unattractive. How could a small starter engage in high-volume credit sales?

Bank failures
It is a world of interdependence. Business failures could result in bank failures. When failed businesses couldn't repay the loans granted them, banks are adversely affected. Depending on the scale, the outcome could be bank distress, failure and/or unemployment.

How has the widespread use of GSM phones affected your business? Good, bad or both? Let's talk.

Re: GSM Mobile Phones Are Not So Good For Business!!! by ITbomb(m): 5:11am On Jul 07, 2012
In essence, let the govt ban the use of mobile fones and bring in new bus, that will restore the Banking sector and the stock exchange , right?
Re: GSM Mobile Phones Are Not So Good For Business!!! by DECOtech(m): 10:14pm On Jul 07, 2012
I've Heard of adverse negative effects of idleness on humans. Never knew it cld be this fatal.

1 Like

Re: GSM Mobile Phones Are Not So Good For Business!!! by harryface: 6:36am On Jul 08, 2012
I strongly do not agree with that. It depends on the view to which you talk about phones. Do you know that your phone can help publicise your business? Have you heard of bulk sms service before? Where you can send sms to millions of people with your number displaying on their phones as if you are already a contact. Visit this site www.hinzsms.com because they are the most reliable for your business.
Re: GSM Mobile Phones Are Not So Good For Business!!! by charlsecy4(m): 11:10am On Aug 18, 2013
Please re-read the post!

(1) (Reply)

Scam! Scam!! Scam!!! / No Capital To Rent Shop/office? Don't Worry,i Have A Space To Share At... / How To Create A Best Selling Product In 7 Days Or Less.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.