Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,162 members, 7,896,948 topics. Date: Monday, 22 July 2024 at 04:17 AM

Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? (5829 Views)

Woman Stabs Teenager Over ‘husband-snatching’ Scandal In Ghana (photo) / A 44 Year Old Father Of 5 Impregnates A Teenager In Delta / Growth Of Pubic Hair In A Pre-teenager (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by honeric01(m): 8:59am On Jul 10, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

I think na2day? is not in Nigeria, so there's a higher chance that his daughter might go somewhere with her interest in technology.

Even if he was in Nigeria, let's not assume a future for our kids. Let's help them as much as we can.

That saying, I'm still granting my kids the "advantage" of a smart-phone at such a young age. (contradicting myself, huh)

LOL please preach or support what you practice.. hehe
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by Nobody: 9:01am On Jul 10, 2012
honeric01:

LOL please preach or support what you practice.. hehe

Just because I understand na2day?'s point of view doesn't mean I have to support/practice it. Just being fair here lol
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by Miamibutch(m): 9:04am On Jul 10, 2012
High tech this...high tech that.....what on earth happend 2 the game world....kids of that age are meant 2 be obssessed with the ps 2's...ps 3's...nitendo wii...that was basicaly what rocked my early teens and still is.
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by Pinoralia: 9:11am On Jul 10, 2012
honestly speaking, I 'm 25yrs old, a corper. I might be so engrossed in my phones (bb and htc) in some cases to the extent that I won't go to teach my student in class talkless of a 12yrs old child. Take it or leave it, one can't monitor a child total activities on a phone. just as someone said, he or she will only be switching memory cards. we were once @ dat age, we shld know what is expected of them. it 's better they started using smartphones after secondary school when they wld av understood life better. if he or she has an assignment to check onlie, let him use your laptop or phone. a small phone that uses no memory card is better at that age.
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:13am On Jul 10, 2012
My kid brother is 9 and owns an Ipad.. Although not connected to the internet via 3G, he has unlimited access the home WIFI system..

The truth is that its not so much about what you expose the kids to but how well you guide them through these 'exposures'.. Take sex for example, its almost everywhere you turn and look.. On T.V, Disney Channel, subtle on Cartoon network and even CNN.. So should I stop my kids from watching T.V because of this?! ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! I my humble opinion, thats like shying away from a problem.. Rather, I have my little ones watch these progams with me and explain the impilication of what they are seeing to them..

I will tell you a story..

In my kid sisters school, (Shes 8 BTW), A little girl was molested by an NYSC teacher.. The school in the process of trying to cover their reputation found out and simply fired the Teacher but neither reported nor arrested him.. So how did the story break out!! Apparently, the guy had been handling a certain girl who was so naive that she never reported to anyone but her friends knew about it.. So oneday one of her friends was at home watching T.V with the parents and saw a similar scene and while the mum was giving the child the "DONT LET ANYBODY TOUCH YOUR SENSITIVES" talk, the little girls tells her mum "but thats what my Teacher has been doing to ILEKE IDI in school'.. Well this brings the whole scene to the forefront.. Come and see the victims mother crying at the PTA meeting..

My point is that the world today is evolving rapidly... Technology is growing at an alarming pace.. The internet is the present and the future.. I dont think shielding our kids from it is the solution.. I believe in education.. Let them know about these things before they have to find out themselves and experiment without knowing the consequences forehand.. Keep an open line of communication thats devoid of judgement so that should they fall, they can always retrace their steps back to you for counselling.. And always correct them in love otherwise they would never come to you again in their time of problems.
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by Nobody: 9:19am On Jul 10, 2012
^^^ Are you crazy ni?
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:23am On Jul 10, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
^^^ Are you crazy ni?

Aint you flattered I just called an Old mama like you a 'Young Girl".. cool
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by Nobody: 9:26am On Jul 10, 2012
So you hate the "Ileke-IdI" ID so much that you're willing to force a ra pe fantasy on her? It's not cool.
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by Nobody: 9:26am On Jul 10, 2012
'IT TAKES A SMART PARENT TO
MAKE SMART CHILDREN' - Thank u my brother!
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:30am On Jul 10, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
So you hate the "Ileke-IdI" ID so much that you're willing to force a ra pe fantasy on her? It's not cool.

I said fondled not R@pe... And I love Ileke Idi.. Shes my second E-love since my other one died an E-death.
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by Nobody: 9:38am On Jul 10, 2012
Okija_juju:

I said fondled not R@pe... And I love Ileke Idi.. Shes my second E-love since my other one died an E-death.

Chineke me! what kind of love is this? handling without permission or mental understanding to comprehend what is being done is ra pe.
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by honeric01(m): 9:54am On Jul 10, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Just because I understand na2day?'s point of view doesn't mean I have to support/practice it. Just being fair here lol

lol
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by na2day(m): 10:20am On Jul 10, 2012
ayox2003:
Does that make her a genuis?
While her peers are busy writing programs, making robots and animations in Japan. Dont expose her to basic software tutors, languages and projects but expect her to be a genius because she can handle your devices.
SMH.

Frawzey.

Its this kind of cretinous reasoning that sometimes makes me loose hope in Nigerian youths,
But let me humor you and come down to ur level, before her peers could do all these things you listed up there, they've been over exposed to all these gadgets, it takes an analytical mind to see a working tech and wants to write a program for it or do you think they just picked up a crayon and start writing codes out of thin air?
smh

honeric01:

I was about writing the same thing..knowing how to operate a phone makes you a genius? good lord!
No, it doesnt, but for kids of that age, it arouses their curiosity to know how such tech works!

Ileke-IdI:

I think na2day? is not in Nigeria, so there's a higher chance that his daughter might go somewhere with her interest in technology.

Even if he was in Nigeria, let's not assume a future for our kids. Let's help them as much as we can.

That saying, I'm still granting my kids the "advantage" of a smart-phone at such a young age. (contradicting myself, huh)
Thank you o, Ileke!
I know most of us grew up seeing the equivalent tech of our days only in the hands of the rich, we can only make do
with card boards, sand, tyres and sometimes our imaginations.
All those responding to my post, have you seen what they use in schools here for teaching?
My daughter has been using computer since age 5, i had to promise her, her own laptop because she's always disturbing mine to do her stuff!
I still maintain, if had been exposed to half of what my kid has been exposed to,
i'd have turned out better!
no kidding!

1 Like

Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by na2day(m): 10:24am On Jul 10, 2012
miko11: 'IT TAKES A SMART PARENT TO
Yeah, smart parents and also correct exposure!
Infact EXPOSURE is all!
It even cures stupidity! grin
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by Nobody: 10:29am On Jul 10, 2012
^^^ Carry Waka. I am right behind you cool grin
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by na2day(m): 10:34am On Jul 10, 2012
Okija_juju: My kid brother is 9 and owns an Ipad.. Although not connected to the internet via 3G, he has unlimited access the home WIFI system..

The truth is that its not so much about what you expose the kids to but how well you guide them through these 'exposures'.. Take sex for example, its almost everywhere you turn and look.. On T.V, Disney Channel, subtle on Cartoon network and even CNN.. So should I stop my kids from watching T.V because of this?! ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! I my humble opinion, thats like shying away from a problem.. Rather, I have my little ones watch these progams with me and explain the impilication of what they are seeing to them..

In my kid sisters school, (Shes 8 BTW), A little girl was molested by an NYSC teacher.. The school in the process of trying to cover their reputation found out and simply fired the Teacher but neither reported nor arrested him.. So how did the story break out!! Apparently, the guy had been handling a certain girl who was so naive that she never reported to anyone but her friends knew about it.. So oneday one of her friends was at home watching T.V with the parents and saw a similar scene and while the mum was giving the child the "DONT LET ANYBODY TOUCH YOUR SENSITIVES" talk, the little girls tells her mum "but thats what my Teacher has been doing to ILEKE IDI in school'.. Well this brings the whole scene to the forefront.. Come and see the victims mother crying at the PTA meeting..

My point is that the world today is evolving rapidly... Technology is growing at an alarming pace.. The internet is the present and the future.. I dont think shielding our kids from it is the solution.. I believe in education.. Let them know about these things before they have to find out themselves and experiment without knowing the consequences forehand.. Keep an open line of communication thats devoid of judgement so that should they fall, they can always retrace their steps back to you for counselling.. And always correct them in love otherwise they would never come to you again in their time of problems.

Thank you for the bolded!
Most people spouting dung here are bunch of hypocrites!
Sometimes i wonder why Nigerians always never see good thing in anything but the bad?
smh
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by honeric01(m): 10:41am On Jul 10, 2012
na2day!:

No, it doesnt, but for kids of that age, it arouses their curiosity to know how such tech works!

Thank you o, Ileke!
I know most of us grew up seeing the equivalent tech of our days only in the hands of the rich, we can only make do
with card boards, sand, tyres and sometimes our imaginations.
All those responding to my post, have you seen what they use in schools here for teaching?
My daughter has been using computer since age 5, i had to promise her, her own laptop because she's always disturbing mine to do her stuff!
I still maintain, if had been exposed to half of what my kid has been exposed to,
i'd have turned out better!
no kidding!

So you think by buying her all these, she's going to turn a genius? why not discover what tickles her interest first? what does she do with all these gadgets? does she try to open them? check what is inside them?
does she draw them and try to label them?
does she ask questions about who built them? how it was built and what they can be used for apart from the browsing and playing games?
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by na2day(m): 10:50am On Jul 10, 2012
honeric01:

So you think by buying her all these, she's going to turn a genius? why not discover what tickles her interest first? what does she do with all these gadgets? does she try to open them? check what is inside them?
does she draw them and try to label them?
does she ask questions about who built them? how it was built and what they can be used for apart from the browsing and playing games?

lol
i didn't buy them for her o, the gadgets belong to the parents
Apart from her barbie, the only thing i promised her is the lappie, and of course I'd already discover her passion.
That's the reason she is getting it.
But We are not here to discuss the intricacies of discovering children's talents, or are we?
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by honeric01(m): 11:03am On Jul 10, 2012
na2day!:

lol
i didn't buy them for her o, the gadgets belong to the parents
Apart from her barbie, the only thing i promised her is the lappie, and of course I'd already discover her passion.
That's the reason she is getting it.
But We are not here to discuss the intricacies of discovering children's talents, or are we?

Not really but then it's part of what we are discussing.. these gadgets can distract her from her passion/talent that's likely to make her a genius in her own found field.
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by chucky234(m): 11:17am On Jul 10, 2012
People compare yester years when they were growing up to 2012,people were buying 14" television sets in the 90s as it was the in vogue thing but today people spend money on more sophisticated models like the LCD/LED and 3D television sets.

Ten years back when GSM was introduced into the country,Nokia 3310 was a king but today even my three year old daughter will not touch a 3310. The trend has to do with civilization and people should accept that simple fact,its wrong to prevent children from enjoying modern technologies simply because we never had the opportunity to own one growing up.

The most important thing is the family culture,parents should endeavour to instill displine and good morale behaviours in their children. Like the old saying "bring up a child the way he should go,when he grows up he will never depart from it".

My parents last child is 14yrs old and has been using phone since he was 11, all he dedicate his free time doing is downloading and playing games while the one before him is 19yrs old and has been using BB for two year now yet he is doing well in the university,he has no girlfriend even at 19.

Most of the mini laptops people buy in Nigeria were originally manufactured for elementary students one of which is the HP m100, there is no crime if a 12yr old uses a blackberry curve2 as children of his age abroad use even more current models like the bold3,iphone 3gs and so on.

Lay a good morale standard for your children and they will never go astray.
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jul 10, 2012
Exposing your kids to high-tech technology is far different from allowing them have unrestricted access to the internet. How on earth will i give a BB torch(with unrestricted internet access) to a 12 year old boy? Look at the matured ladies with BB around now, they are so engrossed with the BB to the extent that they have lost touch with the real world around them. The real world is different from the virtual world, and the virtual world has a lot of negative effects on humans. Adults find it difficult detaching themselves from this (especially what has to do with internet) let alone kids that have just started their lives and cant differentiate between right from wrong. Early exposure is good, but we need to careful in our way of approach. purchase laptops and desktops for your kids, there are so many kiddies game that will improve their IQ, install programs that will help them in drawing and design, how to type fast, how to identify computer parts and possibly repair them, how to navigate around several programs installed on the PC. giving them unrestricted internet should be of less importance to us for now, and in any case they wanna do something on the internet, our systems are there for them to serve that purpose. I do hear a lot of people who say here a brilliant kid will always be brilliant, I laugh at this statement. some kids become brilliant due to the discipline they receive from their parents, and vice-versa. Just tell me what a kid will be doing on the internet, if not to get answers to his/her fantasies. Engage them in reading kiddies books, buy them legos and you can make a genius out of them.
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by sashaa(f): 1:15pm On Jul 10, 2012
poweredcom: Well if he likes 12 yrs old aint bad but they should be on the check with what he downlaods ok and type of pics he saves
how exactly will u monitor what sites he surfs? He musnt download stuffs u know
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by sashaa(f): 1:16pm On Jul 10, 2012
[quote author=vizion]children are not expected to have un-supervised assess to the internet. it is recommended that home computers in the house should be keep in communal place where the child should be supervised.

giving a child a smart phone is a recipe for disaster.[/quote<]
seconded
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by pobey(m): 1:54pm On Jul 10, 2012
SimonAndal: You're interfering. Leave them be, it's not how your raise your kids that other people will. Your values ain't theirs.

People like you are already on their way to raising wayward and immoral children...take a look at the BB of any man,girl or lady what you see are pictures of naked women or men or videos of sex...girls now ping pictures of their breasts and private parts to the guys that are toasting them
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by Odunnu: 2:42pm On Jul 10, 2012
Make I born first jor
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jul 10, 2012
enitan2002: Exposing your kids to high-tech technology is far different from allowing them have unrestricted access to the internet. How on earth will i give a BB torch(with unrestricted internet access) to a 12 year old boy? Look at the matured ladies with BB around now, they are so engrossed with the BB to the extent that they have lost touch with the real world around them. The real world is different from the virtual world, and the virtual world has a lot of negative effects on humans. Adults find it difficult detaching themselves from this (especially what has to do with internet) let alone kids that have just started their lives and cant differentiate between right from wrong. Early exposure is good, but we need to careful in our way of approach. purchase laptops and desktops for your kids, there are so many kiddies game that will improve their IQ, install programs that will help them in drawing and design, how to type fast, how to identify computer parts and possibly repair them, how to navigate around several programs installed on the PC. giving them unrestricted internet should be of less importance to us for now, and in any case they wanna do something on the internet, our systems are there for them to serve that purpose. I do hear a lot of people who say here a brilliant kid will always be brilliant, I laugh at this statement. some kids become brilliant due to the discipline they receive from their parents, and vice-versa. Just tell me what a kid will be doing on the internet, if not to get answers to his/her fantasies. Engage them in reading kiddies books, buy them legos and you can make a genius out of them.

This is a near perfect picture you have painted. The kids of these days are far smarter than we were when we were their ages. . .because the world is more advanced.

But I must point out even though you seem to be a little afraid to fully admit. . .
Exposing a child early to technology does make him smart.
He becomes more aware of his 5 senses, environment and he knows things like adults.
You have correctly laid it out when you mentioned 'checking' what the child is exposed to.
Technology has both positive and negative social effect even on an adult. . .and if we can minize the child's exposure to the negative sides and correctly build more on the innovative advantages of that i-gadget, laptop etc that we hand to the child, then we would be building up one of the smart kids of the generation.

The current FEAR of what social devices are doing to loose teenagers and adults should not completely blind us from seeing the great and smart advantages of technological devices to kids .

Its gross IRRESPONSIBILITY that would make a capable parent deny a 12yr old kid his rights to early exposure to positive technological trends and devices that would make his fast advancing brain smarter.

Bottom line is if you are capable, let these kids have access to these devices (meaning the devices may be in your OWN care) while you block off all adult rated contents and channels.
The more the world advances the more the responsibilities of parents should increase.
Unfortunately the opposite is what we see around.
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by tkovie2002(m): 5:54pm On Jul 10, 2012
miko11: 'IT TAKES A SMART PARENT TO
You are welcome bro
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by tkovie2002(m): 5:56pm On Jul 10, 2012
Okija_juju: My kid brother is 9 and owns an Ipad.. Although not connected to the internet via 3G, he has unlimited access the home WIFI system..

Thank God we still have a few sensible people on Nairaland
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by tkovie2002(m): 6:08pm On Jul 10, 2012
Pinoralia: honestly speaking, I 'm 25yrs old, a corper. I might be so engrossed in my phones (bb and htc) in some cases to the extent that I won't go to teach my student in class talkless of a 12yrs old child. Take it or leave it, one can't monitor a child total activities on a phone. just as someone said, he or she will only be switching memory cards. we were once @ dat age, we shld know what is expected of them. it 's better they started using smartphones after secondary school when they wld av understood life better. if he or she has an assignment to check onlie, let him use your laptop or phone. a small phone that uses no memory card is better at that age.

Seriously I dont think you have come to understand the fact that "oldage is not maturity". If at 25, a young man (I guess), done with University education, serving his country cannot control his attachment to a simple phone to the extent of denying little children their right to the knowledge they paid to get in school, then I dont think you are anywhere better than the children you claim to teach. Or do you still need someone at your age to monitor your activities? Now I understand better why our politicians behave like children. You are just old but behave like we did when the Nintendo 8bit just came out.

Your obsession and addiction to the Blackberry and HTC that just got street popular in Nigeria 4 years ago is not because you used a smartphone during secondary school. You simply have problems with priorities and please do not compare your old self to that little boy, you will humiliate yourself the more.
Re: Should A Pre-teenager Own A Smart Phone? by Burrito(f): 1:51am On Jul 11, 2012
funshybam:
e be like say you no get person wey go buy you BB. Mtschewww. AMEBO

Lol, you are actually funny.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Name Do You Save Your Mum's Number With / Set-up Of Charity Section / My Whole Body Aches After...............

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.