Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,213 members, 7,887,565 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 10:45 AM

Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? (12941 Views)

Putting God First: Modern-Day Idolatry Among Christians Today / Pastor Sambulo Pours Hot Water On Church Members To Demonstrate 'miracle' / The Lord's Chosen And Their Lemon Apron: Isn't It Idolatry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by LionStorm: 3:21pm On Jul 10, 2012
Creating images is not idolatry, bowing down to them and worshiping them is idolatry.The sun and moon were not created by man yet they were worshiped as God, it is not the creation of art or knowledge, but in placing it as God.Placing a pastors image in a church, to me reeks of self agrandizement(pride goeth before a fall). Once you're not brought to worship that image as god or equal to God it's ok. Watch that pastor if they continue to do this, as this is a form of brainwashing. The human mind is conned by images especially if repeated, that's why advertising is such a good tool."Repeat a lie often enought and eventually they will believe it."-Hitler

See that you do not allow yourselves to be lead astray by psychopaths who use religion as a means to create a kingdom for themselves on earth, while we sin our souls following them into hell. Read your bible and strive to understand it; know , do not believe.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by gidiMonsta(m): 3:31pm On Jul 10, 2012
FXKing2012: OK, I accept no pix watsoever shld be used cos no one has a true knowledge of what our Lord Jesus looked liked while He was here on earth. Pls I need the Muslims to help my ignorance, is there any picture depicting Mohammed?

Yes, there are a few but very graphical description of Muhammad.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jul 10, 2012
Ptolomeus:

To worship an image (any image) is idolatry. Worship any object is idolatry (worship the Bible also is).
Christianity has its own doctrine. It is just a division of Catholicism a cult.
Christianity, in addition to idolatry, takes elements of various pagan cults, and uses them in their rituals.
Looking at the Liturgy, there are many elements in Christianity that are directly transplanted from witchcraft.

You must be high on some cheap weed angry
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by aliciab: 5:21pm On Jul 10, 2012
firstly let me start by asking why people always get worked up when religious issues come up for discussion.religion has and stil plays akey role in our lives and therfore i believe when such issues come up they should be discussed logically and intelligently without recourse to sentiments or insults.

secondly though the question asked is a valid one,personally i believe that rather than spend our energies on theologically arguements,why dont we rather concentrate our energies on trully practising the teachings of Jesus the Christ.afterall im sure if all the self proclaimed christians trully practised even a tenth of the teachings of Christ,humanity would be the better for it.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jul 10, 2012
Ptolomeus:

To worship an image (any image) is idolatry. Worship any object is idolatry (worship the Bible also is).
Christianity has its own doctrine. It is just a division of Catholicism a cult.
Christianity, in addition to idolatry, takes elements of various pagan cults, and uses them in their rituals.
Looking at the Liturgy, there are many elements in Christianity that are directly transplanted from witchcraft.
[s][/s]

I think the witchcrafts copied it from Christianity and not the other way round. For the image side I am still seeking God direction cos God said that we shouldn't bow to any graven image but he commanded the children to look at the bronze snake in the wilderness.couldn't He have healed them without asking them to look at the bronze snake. His ways are not our ways.
Secondly, have u seen Jesus before that u know his exact picture. We are made in the image of God. The Jesus pix u know was acted by somebody. U and I know that at that time there is no recording.
Why don't we leave what is written on the bus and be concerned about what we receive in terms of godly edification from the church.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by Ptolomeus(m): 7:09pm On Jul 10, 2012
gzib: I think the witchcrafts copied it from Christianity and not the other way round.
Yes, witches were possibly the first Christians. That reminds me of San Cipriano ...

gzib: Why don't we leave what is written on the bus and be concerned about what we receive in terms of godly edification from the church..
The problem is: what can be learned in a Christian church? ...
A tithe?; To misinterpret out of context biblical passages? ... The only thing important is the economic ...
You do not pay tithe for six months and see how the pastor cease to smile at you, you cast it to kick in ...
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by EXCELLENCEAbia: 9:27pm On Jul 10, 2012
NEVER ALLOWED TO BE CARRIED AWAY: MOST OF THESE THINGS EVEN THEM THAT ARE DOIN IT NEVER RECALL SO MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS ASK GOD TO HELP YOU TO FOCUS BECAUSE YOUR PASTOR OR BILLBOARD WILL NOT BE AN EXCUSE
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by Jamji: 9:36pm On Jul 10, 2012
gidiMonsta:

Yes, there are a few but very graphical description of Muhammad.

the kind that gives you eternal nightmares
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by Ptolomeus(m): 9:42pm On Jul 10, 2012
mikeujoel:

You must be high on some cheap weed angry
Surely you are a Christian. Your rudeness and ignorance, gives it away. I will not respond to an ignoramus.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by valeny2k(m): 11:48pm On Jul 10, 2012
My ppl, if you did not believe that it is pic of Juses Christ according to the white men,how come we believe in the Bible? Cos Bible is from them too, If we Believe in christianity and Bible then we also suppose to believe that the picture is Juses Christ cos all came from white men,Nigerian Pastors should stop decievin our ppl wth the name of Almighty God. My ppl make una use una common sense.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by Nobody: 12:15am On Jul 11, 2012
gzib:

[s][/s]

I think the witchcrafts copied it from Christianity and not the other way round. For the image side I am still seeking God direction cos God said that we shouldn't bow to any graven image but he commanded the children to look at the bronze snake in the wilderness.couldn't He have healed them without asking them to look at the bronze snake. His ways are not our ways.
Secondly, have u seen Jesus before that u know his exact picture. We are made in the image of God. The Jesus pix u know was acted by somebody. U and I know that at that time there is no recording.
Why don't we leave what is written on the bus and be concerned about what we receive in terms of godly edification from the church.
The reason God had the Israelites look up to that bronze snake was because their faith was weak.
He was trying to accomodate their faithlessness which is quite disturbing considering the miracle that had been performed amidst them prior to this period.
He led them out of Egypt in a terrifying manner and all.
Needless to say, the fact that they later on opted to worship this same symbol underline's the danger that statute's, symbol's and branding represent.
May God open our eye's. To the true Gospel cos I doubt this MOG's are ready to help us to it.
This is because with the emancipation of ignorant christian's they become ordinary and loose that pontification which is they have struggled to achieve.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by ijawkid(m): 8:38am On Jul 11, 2012
deandavid: c'mon pple think with ur brain, wch color do u tink jesus was? He was from bethlehem in judea, people from there are white, therefore jesus must be WHITE. Stop fooling around, moreover even if there werent cameras 2000 yrs ago, there should be artist. D pictures of jesus u c 2day might nt be accurate abt jesus, bt should b close to wat jesus looked liked.since everybody then grew long beards, hair and all that. Its jst a description. Moreover as a catholic, i believe the cloth veronica used to wipe jesus's face imprinted his face on it, and i also believe jesus appeared to a saint that drew his face, and that picture is still in the catholic church till 2day. To the op's qtn, i dnt knw if it is idolatry, bt i ll prefer the pictures of jesus and saint to pictures of men of God.

Which saint received d vision of Jesus's face??
Name??
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by FXKing2012(m): 8:57am On Jul 11, 2012
Ptolomeus:
Surely you are a Christian. Your rudeness and ignorance, gives it away. I will not respond to an ignoramus.

Pls Christians are neither rude nor ignorant.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by johnwell(m): 2:04pm On Jul 11, 2012
FXKing2012: I have been wondering why some churches always use the picture of the founding pastor of the church on all church posters and banners. Why do I have to go to Christ Embassy church or Winners Chapel and find the picture of Pastor Chris or Bishop Oyedepo on the banner? Is this wrong and is it idolatry? Why not replace those pictures with that of Jesus since we are not there to serve or worship the pastor.
Also, is it idolatry to turn your hair into curls simply because the pastor does the same?

Let us know your thoughtS.

P.S: This is not an invitation to bash any church or MOG.

It is pure idolatry, they are worshiping man not God. I categorize such churches like common business. This is the rising of Babylon; Nebuchadnezzar did the same and God was angry with him.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by FXKing2012(m): 8:44pm On Jul 11, 2012
johnwell:

It is pure idolatry, they are worshiping man not God. I categorize such churches like common business. This is the rising of Babylon; Nebuchadnezzar did the same and God was angry with him.

But it has been said that it is meant to differentiate the church especially since some churches bear almost the same name.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by realBerni: 8:18pm On Jul 12, 2012
[b]yes,
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by FXKing2012(m): 5:02pm On Jul 14, 2012
Maybe people just see the pastors as role models, not as idols. Let's not get it mixed up.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by Ptolomeus(m): 5:54pm On Jul 16, 2012
FXKing2012:

Pls Christians are neither rude nor ignorant.

The blind fanaticism, and becomes rude and ignorant.
Observe you the answer that gave me this illiterate to me.
Re: Is It Idolatry To Use Pastors' Pictures On Church Banners? by FXKing2012(m): 10:42pm On Jul 16, 2012
Ptolomeus:

The blind fanaticism, and becomes rude and ignorant.
Observe you the answer that gave me this illiterate to me.

Is this English or Latin? Are we in classics class?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"The Good Ship Jesus." A Picture And A Thousand Words / Download Brokenness By Dr. D.K Olukoya - Book (pdf) / Horrorful Cries From Hell Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.