Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,737 members, 7,951,997 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 09:04 AM

How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? (4084 Views)

Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: / Ingredients Of Marital Love In Islam / Islam Is Peace? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by Fulaman198(m): 3:35pm On Jul 16, 2012
bukatyne: tiarabubu, ur analysis is suberb! i ll say it again: there is nowhere/country on this earth called a christian nation! we don't have a christian government either! so al those saying America, France etc are christian nations re wrong! it's just like saying that Nigeria is a christian nation.

How can you say Nigeria is a Christian nation when there are more Muslims than Christians? Lol
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by Fulaman198(m): 3:39pm On Jul 16, 2012
Here is the thing, Western countries are Majority Christian nations like the countries I mentioned earlier are majority Muslim nations. Americas currency for crying out loud says "in God we Trust". American principles were founded on God. That said, what do you consider a Muslim nation? Senegal is 95‰ Muslim. America and France are both about 95% Christian. Italy is 99% Christian so is Mexico.
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by bukatyne(f): 4:52pm On Jul 16, 2012
Fulaman198: Here is the thing, Western countries are Majority Christian nations like the countries I mentioned earlier are majority Muslim nations. Americas currency for crying out loud says "in God we Trust". American principles were founded on God. That said, what do you consider a Muslim nation? Senegal is 95‰ Muslim. America and France are both about 95% Christian. Italy is 99% Christian so is Mexico.
dear, if u read d brief analysis of who a christian is in my last post, u would know that d amount of christians in America et France is not up to 50%! if 'christians' according to u re 95%, where would u put muslims, atheists, pagans, idolaters, etc?
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by Fulaman198(m): 8:57pm On Jul 16, 2012
bukatyne: dear, if u read d brief analysis of who a christian is in my last post, u would know that d amount of christians in America et France is not up to 50%! if 'christians' according to u re 95%, where would u put muslims, atheists, pagans, idolaters, etc?

There are people who are Christian in America but are not "practicing Christians" you are talking about "true followers of Christ" vs. those who say they are "Christian". In America Christians are above 95%.

It is the same everywhere in the world. There are people who are "Muslim" but are not practicing "Muslims" that come from Muslim countries. I had a friend from Guinea who is also Fulani sef, and he drank alcohol whenever he wanted. So although he may be "Muslim" he wasn't a practicing "Muslim"

There are people like that all over the West who are of a particular religion but are not actually practicing it.
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by tintingz(m): 3:11pm On Jul 17, 2012
Fulaman198:
There are people who are Christian in America but are not "practicing Christians" you are talking about "true followers of Christ" vs. those who say they are "Christian". In America Christians are above 95%.
It is the same everywhere in the world. There are people who are "Muslim" but are not practicing "Muslims" that come from Muslim countries. I had a friend from Guinea who is also Fulani sef, and he drank alcohol whenever he wanted. So although he may be "Muslim" he wasn't a practicing "Muslim"
There are people like that all over the West who are of a particular religion but are not actually practicing it.
see the population of Islam fastest growing religion both in america and europe(CNN, BBC, GUINESS BOOK OF RECORDS)
https://www.nairaland.com/987531/fastest-growing-religion-america-islam
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by Fulaman198(m): 7:28pm On Jul 17, 2012
tintingz: see the population of Islam fastest growing religion both in america and europe(CNN, BBC, GUINESS BOOK OF RECORDS)
https://www.nairaland.com/987531/fastest-growing-religion-america-islam

In general my friend, Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world, however, at the moment the dominant religion in America is Christianity and its various sects. Percentages will definitely continue changing over the course of the next 10 - 20 years.
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by BetaThings: 9:16am On Jul 18, 2012
bukatyne: tiarabubu, ur analysis is suberb! i ll say it again: there is nowhere/country on this earth called a christian nation! we don't have a christian government either! so al those saying America, France etc are christian nations re wrong! it's just like saying that Nigeria is a christian nation.
But Britain asserts its traditional christian history. Are they lying?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18662531

Theresa May 'planning changes to immigrant test'
The Sunday Times says immigrants will be told "historically the UK is a Christian country".
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by BetaThings: 9:34am On Jul 18, 2012
tiarabubu:
The fact of the matter that covers this wars and, more importantly, this thread, is that THIS WARS WERE NEVER DONE in Jesus' name or because of some Biblical injuntion. I think you need to understand this difference, OK? The relentless way that America is going after its interests has nothing to do about religion. Its about their economic survival and dominance. In fact, America is not close to being called a religious country. Many muslims are citizens and contribute to the economy just as hindus and atheist. If America is a Christian country maybe all Muslims should be forced to leave or learn the Lords Prayer. Get it? You guys manufacture this propaganda about America being a Christian country to feed your frenzy and give excuse to your anger.
On what basis did christians choose who to support in the war against Iraq?
Or why do I see Nigerian Christians compose curses against Hamas?
When there is a battle in Jos between Hausas and Beroms, why do Christians support the Beroms?
You can argue that people don't mention the name of Jesus but what guide their actions

What goes on in the mind of an American soldier in Iraq when he reads and prays with his his Bible in the morning and in the afternoon he taunts and tortures an Iraqi by doing things he knows are offensive to Muslims

Your list cannot be accurate
Some Hausas were surrounded, killed and dumped in wells (to remove evidence) in Kuru Jenta/Karama in 2010, the press did not report it
And the true christians did not rise up to denounce it when the story was supressed by the press
The story of cannibalism that you condemn, is not on your list because I did not see it reported in the press
My point = the press hardly reports violence against muslims
Again the list you come up with will always understate the harm done to muslims

http://www.naijablog.co.uk/2011/09/closing-of-zamani-farms.html
http://newsrescue.com/berom-massacre-muslims-kuru-jentakuru-karama-jos-nigeria/#axzz20xdKsrYP

This is an attempt at balance by christians in a newspaper owned by christians
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=91864:diary-of-plateau-state-conflicts&catid=73:policy-a-politics&Itemid=607

I am sorry for derailing to Jos though
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by Cheers01: 10:36am On Jul 18, 2012
BetaThings:
But Britain asserts its traditional christian history. Are they lying?

The Sunday Times says immigrants will be told "historically the UK is a Christian country".

"Historically"

Do you know the meaning of the word?

Have you also heard of separation of church and state??
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by BetaThings: 4:04pm On Jul 18, 2012
^^^
No, I don't. Break it down for me because I believe people lived in that "historical" period
I also get confused about the separation when I am told the queen is the head of the Church if England
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by tiarabubu: 5:17pm On Jul 19, 2012
Sorry had to break my desire to remain off this thread.

BetaThings:
But Britain asserts its traditional Christian[b] history[/b] . Are they lying?

The Sunday Times says immigrants will be told "[b] historically the UK is a Christian country[/b]".

Ngwa, Eze (betterthings) goes back to school

Historically means BEFORE, ok? It means UK identified themselves Christian BEFORE now.

Now by your warped sense of interpretation Egypt is a christian country and so is Syria and turkey. Why? Cos historically these countries were major Christian centers before the Islamic mauraders put inhabitants of its great cities to the sword eg turkey by Ottoman Sultan
Mehmed II in 1453 (and triggered the crusades) and Halid ibn al-Walid in Syria

So, just like Britain, Syria and Turkey ARE Christian countries. Or are they?

The way some of guys reason is beyond me. Chai! grin
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by BetaThings: 12:13pm On Aug 25, 2012
tiarabubu: Sorry had to break my desire to remain off this thread.

Ngwa, Eze (betterthings) goes back to school

Historically means BEFORE, ok? It means UK identified themselves Christian BEFORE now.

Now by your warped sense of interpretation Egypt is a christian country and so is Syria and turkey. Why? Cos historically these countries were major Christian centers before the Islamic mauraders put inhabitants of its great cities to the sword eg turkey by Ottoman Sultan
Mehmed II in 1453 (and triggered the crusades) and Halid ibn al-Walid in Syria

So, just like Britain, Syria and Turkey ARE Christian countries. Or are they?

The way some of guys reason is beyond me. Chai! grin
No need to go abusive
I knew quite well that the statement referred to the past
But most of your arguments are based on historical arguments, events and incidents, are they not?
And when somebody is telling us that there is no christian country today, what do we look to? History
So when Britain WAS a christian country, how did she conduct herself. Isn't that instructive?

It is easy for you to use such emotive words as marauders, so how come that the people who brought christianity to the world are also turned fellow "christians" into slaves
How was South America conquered? Not by christian marauders?
How did the country of Bolivia get its name?
Go and read your history again, the most religious countries/rulers had no problem preaching christianity while killing large numbers of people with unspeakable cruelty
Free men and women were ambushed or hunted down and turned to slaves
Slave trade was scaled down in South America not due to some revival of christian doctrines but because there was a glut in products made by slaves
You will benefit from having some light shed on christianity to bring some reality check on this your rose-tinted view of christianity

When Nigerians christians today speak of crusade, what do they mean?
They also want to embark on murderous adventures with the blessing of their Bishops, Pastors, Reverend etc guaranteeing heavenly reward etc
Christianity has a bloody history which will surely be defaulted to when the adherents are confronted with some threat
Nobody should forget that. It is easy to preach when one is not oppressed
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by tiarabubu: 2:18am On Aug 26, 2012
BetaThings:
No need to go abusive
I knew quite well that the statement referred to the past
But most of your arguments are based on historical arguments, events and incidents, are they not?
And when somebody is telling us that there is no christian country today, what do we look to? History
So when Britain WAS a christian country, how did she conduct herself. Isn't that instructive?

I am not abusive.

How Britain conducted herself is instructive of course.

It is easy for you to use such emotive words as marauders, so how come that the people who brought christianity to the world are also turned fellow "christians" into slaves
How was South America conquered? Not by christian marauders?
How did the country of Bolivia get its name?
Go and read your history again, the most religious countries/rulers had no problem preaching christianity while killing large numbers of people with unspeakable cruelty
Free men and women were ambushed or hunted down and turned to slaves
Slave trade was scaled down in South America not due to some revival of christian doctrines but because there was a glut in products made by slaves
You will benefit from having some light shed on christianity to bring some reality check on this your rose-tinted view of christianity

If you read my posts quite well you will see that I condemned the taking up of the sword to "defend" christianity. People died ok and that was VERY WRONG. I did say that some people took up the sword for Christianity and it has NO BASIS in the Bible. This is part of what I wrote

....But Christianity is not spread or defended by the sword. All those who do so are wrong and their efforts would come to naught. ...

So snap out of your tainted view of my opinion, OK. Some of these countries did wrong while professing Christianity. Even the Crusades under Pope Urban to defend and liberate Christian lands, even when they were provoked by Muslims, was wrong. Christiandom acknowledges that it was wrong. BUT has the Muslim Ummah acknowledged that the unprovoked invasion of then Christian Eygpt, Syria, Turkey, Spain etc was also wrong?

Slave trade was despicable and wrong. This was carried out for British economic reasons. The abolition of slave trade protest and movement were led by notable Christians; William Willberforce, William Cowper, Joseph Sturge, Thomas Clarkson, Henry Brougham, Jane Smeal, Elizabeth Pease and Anne Knight. They could not reconcile their nations actions with their conscience and religion and fought to dismantle slavery. Their work gain public acceptance and as far back as 1777 and 1833 slave trade began to be abolished by Britain and USA.

The west put a stop to slave trade and have tried to assimilate and intergrate the former slaves into their societies albeit with tremendous difficulty. There are black British, American, French, Canadian Citizens etc. Infact a black man occupies the white house today and his first lady is a descendant of a black slave. Several British mayors and important personalities are blacks. ( I still believe they ought to pay reparations). There is some appreciable progress at this. These countries are in the fore front of advocating civil rights, liberties, equalities etc allowing anybody to come into their country and be what they want to be. Muslims, Hindus, Atheists etc. Can the same be said of the "aftermath" of the Arab Slave trade? There are still slave trading going on in some parts of the Arab world as we speak by the way.

When Nigerians christians today speak of crusade, what do they mean?
They also want to embark on murderous adventures with the blessing of their Bishops, Pastors, Reverend etc guaranteeing heavenly reward etc

You honestly don't believe this crap do you? grin Are you serious grin grin grin grin grin

Christianity has a bloody history which will surely be defaulted to when the adherents are confronted with some threat
Nobody should forget that. It is easy to preach when one is not oppressed

Yeah, I agree with you on the bolded. Its easy for you to preach. For the past one year how many churches have been bombed and how many Christian worshippers gunned down in places of worship in this country. Also, since 1980 which religion has been at the recieving end of killings and burnings from the Miss World Riots, to the Eclipse riots, to the Danish Cartoons, to the Bonkke Riots, to the Water Riots, to the Boko Harams etc. Yep I agree with you. It IS ease to preach when YOU are not oppressed.

1 Like

Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by tintingz(m): 5:44am On Aug 26, 2012
^^^ my dear your point is a baseless. . . As far history tell us jews and christianity are bloody jehova support war right from OT bible, Jesus himself want his enemies killed according to the bible. . .christianity was the first religion to spread by sword, killing and slavery, the crusaders killed many jews spread to Africa by killing and slavery do your research well. . .it's now wrong after the killings to spread christianity but you put it right to Islam when muslims also said its wrong. . .jews and christianity are the first bloody sect we know in history dont deny it just accept the the way it is.
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by BetaThings: 4:10pm On Aug 26, 2012
tiarabubu:
There are still slave trading going on in some parts of the Arab world as we speak by the way.
There is still unofficial slavery ALL over the world, even in Nigeria. However, Islam forbids turning a free person into a slave. So what is happening in Arab countries is
(1) Haram
(2) and probably not being done by conscious muslims
Slavery is wrong anywhere. I can no more stop a muslim engaged in slave trade than I can stop the one who is involved in drug pushing and armed robbery. We can only remind them of the grievous sins they are committing

tiarabubu:
You honestly don't believe this crap do you? grin Are you serious grin grin grin grin grin

Whether a KKK member is serious or not, whenever a black man sees him carrying a rope, the blackman is not comfortable
The word crusade has a sensitive connotation for muslim. When a christian uses it, is he trying to commemorate the past or repeat it? Same way the jews are touchy about holocaust denial

tiarabubu:
Yeah, I agree with you on the bolded. Its easy for you to preach. For the past one year how many churches have been bombed and how many Christian worshippers gunned down in places of worship in this country. Also, since 1980 which religion has been at the recieving end of killings and burnings from the Miss World Riots, to the Eclipse riots, to the Danish Cartoons, to the Bonkke Riots, to the Water Riots, to the Boko Harams etc. Yep I agree with you. It IS ease to preach when YOU are not oppressed.
You really seem to believe that muslims just want to annihilate christians by sporadic outbursts of violence. I must concede that the victims don't feel less trauma because those people are misguided, but you have to realise that we often automatically assume that any dispute in the North is religious
Now let me say certain things
(1) do you think muslims are so stupid as to believe that they will dominate christians by violence
(2) Let us assume without conceding that muslims want to islamise this country by violence, does it make sense to do this by uncoordinated attacks which cannot be sustained for a few days without eliciting counter productive response locally and internationally. As we have seen in Syria, it takes a long time to kill 100,000. This is not to cheapen human life but to show that using violence to subjugate christians is not a viable strategy
(3)Islam actually restrain those who are conscious. Personally I believe that the punishment for r.api.ng a woman shoukd be castration. But I cannot push for it because Islam does not allow it
(4) Some tribal rivalry that have spiralled into violence is mistaken for religious confrontation. The Tiv/Jukun crises woulkd have been termed religious were they not both christian. But whatever the religius beliefs, those people are fighting over resources just like any neighbouring communities do - CF last week incident in Kenya, and the Nigerian/Cameroonian spat over Bakskassi
(5) Some communities in the North are not muslims.Yet christians will add the casualties resorting to any class with them to the statitics on muslims attacks. Every youth corper posted to Taraba state is warned to stay away from the Bororos. Their women go around topless. That clearly is not islamic. Newspapers and by extension christians will automatically attribute their hostile activities to Islam
(6) About 2 weeks ago, 5 Fulanis were ambushed around Jos; 3 of them died. I did not see any condemnation of this on NL especially after the strong support shown by NL members when the Nigerian army decided to evict the Fulanis from Jos
(7) A few years ago, there was a clash between SW people and Northerners based on an incident in Shagamu. Clearly some muslims died. These would have been included in your statistics

My point
Muslims do not really believe in these senseless killings. I have christian friends who can risk their life for me. Would I just go ahead and kill them or support their killing. What would be the objective I put Boko Haram in the same class as Rev King who incidentally was still being supported by members of his church even while being prosecuted.

How has BH's campaign of destablisation helped muslims? Muslims are viewed with suspicion. They cannot gather in peace to preach while christians can do so. Innocent muslims will inevitably fall victim of JTF's operations. Muslim settlements and cities are being destroyed. So what are the benefits to me as a muslim of BH's attacks
Same goes for Al Qaeda. Some muslims died in 9/11 attacks. Their relatives are viewed with hate by people who do not have direct victims. Less than 3,000 perished in 9/11 attacks. Yet innocent muslims numbering up to about 1million have subsequently died in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq and elsewhere

Do you think mainstream muslims see this is a sensible way of growing Islam and the number of muslims?

Look at this video about the agitation for Islamic state

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L6m8WJ0AtU

1 Like

Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by tintingz(m): 7:05pm On Aug 26, 2012
^^^ infact you toooooo much....you are blessed for this...
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by tiarabubu: 9:49pm On Aug 26, 2012
tintingz: ^^^ my dear your point is a baseless. . . As far history tell us jews and christianity are bloody jehova support war right from OT bible, Jesus himself want his enemies killed according to the bible. . .christianity was the first religion to spread by sword, killing and slavery, the crusaders killed many jews spread to Africa by killing and slavery do your research well. . .it's now wrong after the killings to spread christianity but you put it right to Islam when muslims also said its wrong. . .jews and christianity are the first bloody sect we know in history dont deny it just accept the the way it is.

Unfortunately most of what you are posting are not true, so I find it very difficult to know how to respond cos its futile. I think you should do YOUR research well and state facts. I like to debate facts not vague conjecture like what you put up. We are educated people here not road side touts.

I challenge you to back up your statements so we can start from there ok. I told you that there were some bloody episodes in Christian history that has no basis in the Bible. Christians now don't strap bombs to themselves and scream "in Jesus name" and blow themselves up. You don't find Christians threatening Muslims with murder or entering a mosque and killing people while they pray and quoting the Bible.

One thing you fail to understand is that the usual blame game of "Christians did it too" is an extremely lame excuse. Muslims need to face the extremists that use the name of your religion to do despicable things. Unless muslims do that many will continue to view your religion with suspicion and criticize islam whether accurately or falsely. Your anger is misdirected. Confront the danger within you guys first! What happened to the islam of the 60's and 70's when tolerance reigned? What went wrong?
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by tiarabubu: 10:23pm On Aug 26, 2012
BetaThings:
There is still unofficial slavery ALL over the world, even in Nigeria. However, Islam forbids turning a free person into a slave. So what is happening in Arab countries is
(1) Haram
(2) and probably not being done by conscious muslims
Slavery is wrong anywhere. I can no more stop a muslim engaged in slave trade than I can stop the one who is involved in drug pushing and armed robbery. We can only remind them of the grievous sins they are committing

WELL said.

The word crusade has a sensitive connotation for muslim. When a christian uses it, is he trying to commemorate the past or repeat it? Same way the jews are touchy about holocaust denial

Please find out how the crusade started before claiming its a sensitive subject to muslims. The crusades were triggered by Muslims invading Christian lands, killing Christians and turning churches to stables. The final straw that broke the camels back was when muslims began attacking Christian pilgrims to Jerusalem which made Pope Urban rally troops to liberate Jerusalem. So it's an irony muslims find the crusades offensive when they started it by invading then Christian Libya, Syria, turkey, Jerusalem etc. Logically Christians should be the ones whining about the crusades not Muslims

The background to the Crusades was set when the Seljuk Turks decisively defeated the Byzantine army in 1071 and cut off Christian access to Jerusalem. The Byzantine emperor, Alexis I feared that all Asia Minor would be overrun. He called on western Christian leaders and the papacy to come to the aid of Constantinople by undertaking a pilgrimage or a crusade that would free Jerusalem from Muslim rule.[2] Another cause was the destruction of many Christian sacred sites and the persecution of Christians under the Fatimid caliph Al-Hakim.

wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades#section_1

You really seem to believe that muslims just want to annihilate christians by sporadic outbursts of violence. I must concede that the victims don't feel less trauma because those people are misguided, but you have to realise that we often automatically assume that any dispute in the North is religious
Now let me say certain things
(1) do you think muslims are so stupid as to believe that they will dominate christians by violence
(2) Let us assume without conceding that muslims want to islamise this country by violence, does it make sense to do this by uncoordinated attacks which cannot be sustained for a few days without eliciting counter productive response locally and internationally. As we have seen in Syria, it takes a long time to kill 100,000. This is not to cheapen human life but to show that using violence to subjugate christians is not a viable strategy
(3)Islam actually restrain those who are conscious. Personally I believe that the punishment for r.api.ng a woman shoukd be castration. But I cannot push for it because Islam does not allow it
(4) Some tribal rivalry that have spiralled into violence is mistaken for religious confrontation. The Tiv/Jukun crises woulkd have been termed religious were they not both christian. But whatever the religius beliefs, those people are fighting over resources just like any neighbouring communities do - CF last week incident in Kenya, and the Nigerian/Cameroonian spat over Bakskassi
(5) Some communities in the North are not muslims.Yet christians will add the casualties resorting to any class with them to the statitics on muslims attacks. Every youth corper posted to Taraba state is warned to stay away from the Bororos. Their women go around topless. That clearly is not islamic. Newspapers and by extension christians will automatically attribute their hostile activities to Islam
(6) About 2 weeks ago, 5 Fulanis were ambushed around Jos; 3 of them died. I did not see any condemnation of this on NL especially after the strong support shown by NL members when the Nigerian army decided to evict the Fulanis from Jos
(7) A few years ago, there was a clash between SW people and Northerners based on an incident in Shagamu. Clearly some muslims died. These would have been included in your statistics

Please look at the riots of the past 30 years in Nigeria and tell me they are not explicitly religious. Let me give u a few examples.

The Danish cartoon riots. Churches burnt by youths chanting God is great. Pastors locked up in their homes and set ablaze. No mosque burnt. Tell me it's not religious.

The bombings of churches in madalla, kaduna etc. Claimed by BH chanting God is great. Tell me it's not religious.

miss world. How many churches burnt and people killed by mobs chanting God is great. Tell me is not religious.

What of the burning of churches over a lunar eclipse in maiduguri? Were mosques burnt? Weren't those killed non muslims? Were the attackers not chanting God is great while doing those despicable stuff?

Have you ever heard of a premeditated attack on a mosque by non muslims just because someone printed a cartoon in a far away country or there was a lunar eclipse or mobs protesting the death of someone or someone said or did something deemed offensive?

There are about 20 more of such cases documented in a study carried out by researchers. Just search the Web.

Now check out the Tiv Jukun crisis. Was anybody chanting God is great? Were worship houses targeted? Were people killed because of their religious affinity or tribe? That was clearly a tribal clash. The same thing about bakassi.

Tribal conflicts are very different from religious ones. When yorubas clashed with hausas in Lagos in the early 2000 & 2012, was it termed religious? What of the various skirmishes between the Fulanis and Tiv farmers in Nassarawa state? What of the fulani clash with people in Delta and Ogun states? The factions were from two different religious divide but it was never termed religious!

http://allafrica.com/stories/200804030093.html

leadership.ng/nga/articles/32819/2012/08/18/ogun_moves_prevent_farmersfulani_clash.html

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/fight-erupts-between-hausa-yoruba-in-yaba/117280/

And there are many more.

In case you don't know religious riots are well documented by researchers some of whom are muslims. Just do a search on the net.

I think you need to acknowledge that there is a problem with religious intolerance in Nigeria. Denying the problem will not make it go away. Acknowledging it is the first step towards solving it. The more tolerant we are the faster we can develop. This is one reason I so admire the Yorubas. They have elevated themselves above this to a large & fair extent that they are able to face development squarely and everyone benefits.

My point
Muslims do not really believe in these senseless killings. I have christian friends who can risk their life for me. Would I just go ahead and kill them or support their killing. What would be the objective I put Boko Haram in the same class as Rev King who incidentally was still being supported by members of his church even while being prosecuted.

How has BH's campaign of destablisation helped muslims? Muslims are viewed with suspicion. They cannot gather in peace to preach while christians can do so. Innocent muslims will inevitably fall victim of JTF's operations. Muslim settlements and cities are being destroyed. So what are the benefits to me as a muslim of BH's attacks
Same goes for Al Qaeda. Some muslims died in 9/11 attacks. Their relatives are viewed with hate by people who do not have direct victims. Less than 3,000 perished in 9/11 attacks. Yet innocent muslims numbering up to about 1million have subsequently died in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq and elsewhere

WELL said.

I honestly wish that muslim leaders will rise up and issue a public fatwa against the people that are giving them a bad name and speak out with one voice.

I believe that this will go a long way to (1) make muslims distance themselves from these guys and (2) win the confidence of non muslims.

This is critical cos I believe that this struggle for a tolerant and progressive society is not for muslims alone but for all of us as citizens. But the fight cannot be won with the loud silence by a critical majority of muslims especially in the north. Statements from one or two clerics is not enough to carry the proper weight.
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by tintingz(m): 11:07pm On Aug 27, 2012
tiarabubu:

Unfortunately most of what you are posting are not true, so I find it very difficult to know how to respond cos its futile. I think you should do YOUR research well and state facts. I like to debate facts not vague conjecture like what you put up. We are educated people here not road side touts.

I challenge you to back up your statements so we can start from there ok. I told you that there were some bloody episodes in Christian history that has no basis in the Bible. Christians now don't strap bombs to themselves and scream "in Jesus name" and blow themselves up. You don't find Christians threatening Muslims with murder or entering a mosque and killing people while they pray and quoting the Bible.

One thing you fail to understand is that the usual blame game of "Christians did it too" is an extremely lame excuse. Muslims need to face the extremists that use the name of your religion to do despicable things. Unless muslims do that many will continue to view your religion with suspicion and criticize islam whether accurately or falsely. Your anger is misdirected. Confront the danger within you guys first! What happened to the islam of the 60's and 70's when tolerance reigned? What went wrong?
lol...you are rejecting the terror jehova inflited in OT bible killing, slavery and allow raping...and you forget what Jesus said in the bible "those of mine enemies who would not that I should reign over them bring them and kill them" or you never come accross this statement by Jesus? Well I dont have time to start quoting bible pages buh if you insist then I will...and you talk of some muslims bombing killing inocent people and shouting Allah's name...Allah promise them hell cuz He said no one should commit sucide or kill innocent for no reason in His name likewise those are the black sheep among the good ones...and if christians kill wether didnt he/she shout halleluya or wharever it dosnt change anytin asfar rev. King killed people for rituals he his a sinner...look at america killing many arabs while many arabs also died in effect of sucide bombing what do we call those ones...america and europe is ruled by christians while they keep killing Inocent muslims claiming peace fighting, isreal killed many incocent people in palestine yet you didint condemn that...christianity is brougth down to africa by colonial people...slave trade, war and brainwashing many africans with their missionary people hanging a picture of a white blonde hair Jesus everywhere.
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by tiarabubu: 10:00pm On Aug 28, 2012
Unless you sober up and learn to debate rationally, I am afraid you are blowing hot air and are incoherent. Jesus' statements have nothing to with this matter. If you will can you show me a verse where Jesus did kill his enemies? Until you do just know you are clutching straws.

The matter at hand is hardly an issue of history. It's an issue of what is happening NOW. If you don't know there are Muslims who commit crimes like stealing, cheating and killing but no one blames Islam (eg Abachas loot, IBB's corruption). But what we are talking about is the murder and arson and justifying it with religious text OR because of religion! Try to distinguish the two, then we can talk.

While you are at it try to research on how Islam came to most parts of Nigeria.

If you don't know terrorism affects us all. Non Muslims are often targets and Muslims get bad tags for it. To counter this, there needs to be an acknowledgement of the problem and a willingness to deal with the issue squarely. All hands must be on deck to counter it. It calls for rational thinking and reflection and actio, which unfortunately, is in such short supply.
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by tintingz(m): 2:48pm On Aug 29, 2012
tiarabubu: Unless you sober up and learn to debate rationally, I am afraid you are blowing hot air and are incoherent. Jesus' statements have nothing to with this matter. If you will can you show me a verse where Jesus did kill his enemies? Until you do just know you are clutching straws.
The matter at hand is hardly an issue of history. It's an issue of what is happening NOW. If you don't know there are Muslims who commit crimes like stealing, cheating and killing but no one blames Islam (eg Abachas loot, IBB's corruption). But what we are talking about is the murder and arson and justifying it with religious text OR because of religion! Try to distinguish the two, then we can talk.
If you don't know terrorism affects us all. Non Muslims are often targets and Muslims get bad tags for it. To counter this, there needs to be an acknowledgement of the problem and a willingness to deal with the issue squarely. All hands must be on deck to counter it. It calls for rational thinking and reflection and actio, which unfortunately, is in such short supply.
o yes no record of killings by Jesus in the bible yet he order his disciples to sell their garment and buy swords(for what?) he knows what it is to defend and he feels like doin it but in secret God had a plan for him so he said to pilate "my kingdom is not of this world" and he knows someone a comforter is coming to complete the whole message. . .for Jesus to order his disciples to buy sword he had the intention to fight but he didnt, God hav a plan for him. . .and if a crime happens in a muslim country or by muslims and it involv religious tin you guys take it as if muslims are violents while many muslims condemn violence and killing the Quran never support killing innocent people nor practise sucide bombing the prophet(saw) never do such he only defend Islam and muslims from violent people but when christians kill no media will publish it they wont tag christianity to it and no muslim will insult christianity for it. . .it high time you guys no that ISLAM NEVER SUPPORT VIOLENT AND TERRORISM BUT SOME MUSLIMS(WHO ARE BRAINWASHED TO KILL FOR ALLAH) ARE IN THE WRONG PATH AND THEY WILL SURELY FACE THEIR DEEDS IN JUDGMENT DAY
Re: How Is "Peace" Defined In Islam? by tintingz(m): 2:49pm On Aug 29, 2012
tiarabubu: Unless you sober up and learn to debate rationally, I am afraid you are blowing hot air and are incoherent. Jesus' statements have nothing to with this matter. If you will can you show me a verse where Jesus did kill his enemies? Until you do just know you are clutching straws.
o yes no record of killings by Jesus in the bible yet he order his disciples to sell their garment and buy swords(for what?) he knows what it is to defend and he feels like doin it but in secret God had a plan for him so he said to pilate "my kingdom is not of this world" and he knows someone a comforter is coming to complete the whole message. . .for Jesus to order his disciples to buy sword he had the intention to fight but he didnt, God hav a plan for him. . .and if a crime happens in a muslim country or by muslims and it involv religious tin you guys take it as if muslims are violents while many muslims condemn violence and killing the Quran never support killing innocent people nor practise sucide bombing the prophet(saw) never do such he only defend Islam and muslims from violent people but when christians kill no media will publish it they wont tag christianity to it and no muslim will insult christianity for it. . .it high time you guys no that ISLAM NEVER SUPPORT VIOLENT AND TERRORISM BUT SOME MUSLIMS(WHO ARE BRAINWASHED TO KILL FOR ALLAH) ARE IN THE WRONG PATH AND THEY WILL SURELY FACE THEIR DEEDS IN JUDGMENT DAY

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Virtue Of The Last Ten Days Of Ramadan And Lailatul Qodr / Mut'ah / Baby Born With Quran Named, Mom Converts To Islam (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.