Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,077 members, 7,970,299 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 06:25 AM

Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? (10338 Views)

NERC Set To Release New Electricity Tariff / Again, Court Stops Hike In Electricity Tariff / The New Electricity Tariffs From July 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by ministergh: 7:11am On Jul 13, 2012
What is this maintenance charge thing... That's bad... We will kill the ECG if it ever do that. Meters are govt property and my duty as a gh citizen is to report to the company when there is a fault. I have no right tempering with it since I could be jailed for that. They come and fix it and if I have anything to give as thank you is my own beef. And even that maybe 2 cedis. What maintenance fee. For where? 500 naira prepaid credit could last 3 or 4 days...why pay as maintenance fee?
femi4: It was actually increase in the fixed TAX, the maintenance fee no longer exist

Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by billyadam(m): 7:14am On Jul 13, 2012
I suggest we all go green and leave PHCN alone. Solar technologies and inverter systems
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by uncleb(m): 7:42am On Jul 13, 2012
[quote author=bola4dprec]transformation agenda I am confident that at the end of this well thought out programme, you will be in a vantage position to see Nigeria from the prism of the building blocks that unite us more as a nation than divide us. My aim is not only to broaden your knowledge of the policy thrust of this Administration but to provoke deeper thoughts on the prospects and possibilities of Nigeria achieving its cherished vision to become a more focused united and prosperous nation. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan[/quote

Hi be like say someone don kolo here
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by flexya: 8:09am On Jul 13, 2012
Why complain about PHCN bill increase when u can just bypass the meter! tongue
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by Nobody: 9:02am On Jul 13, 2012
My electricity bill for July was 100% more than d previous ones. Could this be fresh air?
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by femiaji: 9:14am On Jul 13, 2012
Paentera: I use the pre-paid meter and yes, the rates have sky rocketed to N12.45/kw up from N7.25/kw prior to the tariff increase. To make matters worse, the former maintenance charge moved up from N75 to N500, an increase of more than 500% angry angry angry !!!

Which ever ways, I still prefer the pre-paid cos it means I can regulate my use of my appliances and manage my bill. I was initially using up N2,500 per month at home and N2,000 for the office but now use up N3,500 for the house and N2,500 for the office. All we have done is to ensure that appliances are not left on and of course changed our bulbs to the lower wattage ones that consume about 1/4 of the former bulbs' energy - this goes a long way.

na wa oh
my bill just doubled. no prepaid meter. i spend barely 8hours at home.
e be lik say i go sell d 2 generators nd get a noiseless mikano or cummins.
at least 10,000naira fuel monthly na value for money.
NERC. NEPA. PHCN. Consumer Protection Council...i pity una
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by rehpop(m): 9:18am On Jul 13, 2012
bola4dprec: transformation agenda I am confident that at the end of this well thought out programme, you will be in a vantage position to see Nigeria from the prism of the building blocks that unite us more as a nation than divide us. My aim is not only to broaden your knowledge of the policy thrust of this Administration but to provoke deeper thoughts on the prospects and possibilities of Nigeria achieving its cherished vision to become a more focused united and prosperous nation. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan

I guess u dnt understand d true vision of d present administration, if u do, u'd say diff... Nigerians r mourning d lost of right to a gud lyf n fulfilled living, n u r here talking ds..
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by Nobody: 9:34am On Jul 13, 2012
though i am against violence,this are things nigeria suppose to fight over and not only fuel increament. fuel was increased with about 50% and electricity more than 90%. were is nlc were is Bakare etc. these guys are politicians since they benefit more on fuel. to me this is rip off.
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by slimslim: 9:39am On Jul 13, 2012
The question is "where do we go from here" What do we do as Nigerian, where can we go to complain because the criteria for the increase is not known.
I don't have a meter. For the more than 6years I have stayed in my present location, I have been given estimates which the highest in a particular month was N3,000.00. My bill in May was N1,100.00 In June it is N11,300.00. Electricity in the area is still erratic and as in previous months and years, apart from refrigerator (just one deep freezer), all electrical appliance are put off between 6.30am and 7.30pm daily Mondays to Fridays and sometimes on Saturdays. So why the over N10,000 difference in bill.

To me, this is another punishment to the citizen of Nigeria by the GEJ government.Chikena
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by oroagba: 9:53am On Jul 13, 2012
ericmooret: We used to pay N1200 per flat and now we are to pay N3500. It is still manageable.
Manageable you say? That is over 100% increase!
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by FELIX30(m): 11:34am On Jul 13, 2012
Well, prepaid meter is still better even wth d fixed charge. Am not trying to justify d charge but at least wth prepaid meter, u have d freedom to manage ur consumption.

I wonder where nigeria wll be by d end of 2014 if Jonathan survives it on d seat till then. Dis is indeed FRESH AIR.

Dis man is a disgrace to d southerners.
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by ODB1: 11:38am On Jul 13, 2012
I lived and worked in a neighbouring west African country for about 2yrs. What amazed me of this poor country is their ability to maintain utilities such as water and electricity. The country is landlocked with most of it semi-arid to arid desert with the only water supply coming from the River Niger, electricity was sourced from Nigeria, Benin and Ghana but for 2yrs, I never ever witnessed power failure nor had the taps go dry on me.

I paid averagely the equivalent of 14,000 naira monthly as power bill and I never complained as long as there is light.
Currently in Nigeria and I spend on average five to six thousand naira monthly on my prepaid meter but I spend at least 20 - 30,000 on servicing my noisy generators which runs for at least 6hrs daily.

1 Like

Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by uwaj54: 12:23pm On Jul 13, 2012
I do not have a meter and my estimated bill rose from N7,000 for May to N19,000 for June. This is exorbitant because I ran on Generator most part of June. I think the solution is to get a prepaid meter but one needs to cough out another N25,000 to get a 1-phase prepaid meter. Ideally, this meter should not be paid for. But with corruption everywhere, extortion continues. I weep for my country.
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by TheShopKeeper(m): 1:07pm On Jul 13, 2012
The Freshest Air Indeed!!!
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by ODB1: 1:19pm On Jul 13, 2012
The truth be said, electricity is still dirt cheap in Nigeria when even compared to other African countries. The pre-paid meter is a welcomed idea since most homes with installed meters, manage their electricity consumption. But the issue of corruption will always plague whatever novel policy.

I blame the military for all this. When they were supposed to reform our economy they refused since they saw a benefit of running subsidies and government companies. The advantage to which was an easy access to government funds and a paternalistic outlook; The so called carrot and stick.

What stopped IBB from deregulating NEPA, NNPC and co?

The fuel subsidy removal is hard on the average Nigerian but haven't we all moved on since?

I believe this tarrif should stay but transparency and accountability must be at the vanguard.
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by Kobojunkie: 1:27pm On Jul 13, 2012
O.D.B.:
I lived and worked in a neighbouring west African country for about 2yrs. What amazed me of this poor country is their ability to maintain utilities such as water and electricity. The country is landlocked with most of it semi-arid to arid desert with the only water supply coming from the River Niger, electricity was sourced from Nigeria, Benin and Ghana but for 2yrs, I never ever witnessed power failure nor had the taps go dry on me.

I paid averagely the equivalent of 14,000 naira monthly as power bill and I never complained as long as there is light.
Currently in Nigeria and I spend on average five to six thousand naira monthly on my prepaid meter but I spend at least 20 - 30,000 on servicing my noisy generators which runs for at least 6hrs daily.

You moved back to Nigeria and embraced noisy generators? I ask again, is the fact that we live in information age lost on Nigerians or what?
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by ODB1: 1:30pm On Jul 13, 2012
Kobojunkie:

You moved back to Nigeria and embraced noisy generators? I ask again, is the fact that we live in information age lost on Nigerians or what?

and your point being...?

Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by Baawaa(m): 2:20pm On Jul 13, 2012
Gej na double double
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by Kobojunkie: 2:22pm On Jul 13, 2012
O.D.B.:

and your point being...?

My point is there is information out there on alternatives to "generators".
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by ODB1: 2:31pm On Jul 13, 2012
Kobojunkie:

My point is there is information out there on alternatives to "generators".

And when did I inquire from you on where I can get a hydrogen battery cell?

Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jul 13, 2012
O.D.B.:

People can as well get solar/thermal installations on the roof of their houses to take care of other less energy consuming appliances.

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFLbFklQSIW7NPNBLY6UuVS5KwGMIfC6E66qKW0qzZejnJkSYdVA[/img]
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by ODB1: 2:45pm On Jul 13, 2012
You think they come cheap?
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jul 13, 2012
O.D.B.:
You think they come cheap?
The cheapest could cost nothing more than $18,000.00 per 5 kilowatt. That alone can serve more than 1/4 of the average family home in the US.

Maybe in Nigerian case, people can go for less, like a kilowatt which would cost $3,600.00. That alone can serve more than 1/4 of average Nigerian family home.
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by ODB1: 3:21pm On Jul 13, 2012
You are not being realistic. How many Nigerians have or can afford $4,000 to meet just 25% of their Power consumption?
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by abubakarsaid200: 3:33pm On Jul 13, 2012
Boyoorisha: I got home yesterday and I was given the electricity bill for the past month, I could not believe my sight! It is triple the amount I used to pay before the new tariff was introduced! Please share your experience if you have paid
how much did u pay per unit?
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by carsellerz: 3:52pm On Jul 13, 2012
Hello Guys, I will advise you all to get the Prepaid meter cos i was buying 1500naira before and now that the fixed charge is now 500naira, I only added 500 naira extra and still get about 16unit lesser than the usual cos of the tariff increase...so I suggest if possible make it a point of duty to get the Prepaid meter..it more economical and no way PHCN will rip you off ur hard earned money.....
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jul 13, 2012
carsellerz: Hello Guys, I will advise you all to get the Prepaid meter cos i was buying 1500naira before and now that the fixed charge is now 500naira, I only added 500 naira extra and still get about 16unit lesser than the usual cos of the tariff increase...so I suggest if possible make it a point of duty to get the Prepaid meter..it more economical and no way PHCN will rip you off ur hard earned money.....
and you think it easy to get a prepaid meter
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by pdozie: 4:20pm On Jul 13, 2012
Not everyone can afford to substitute by using solar energy. For those who can afford it, check out these links (solar, inverter etc)

https://www.nairaland.com/684167/inverter-users-lets-experience/4

https://www.nairaland.com/390522/solar-energy-complement-fta
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by Kobojunkie: 4:27pm On Jul 13, 2012
O.D.B.:

Dingbat, you don't need to ask me for anything. You felt to post your "fo_olishness" online for the public here to note, and I simply wondered why in the age of Information, Nigerians still make such decisions -- essentially going back to Nigeria to JOIN THE PROBLEM, only to turn around and COMPLAIN LIKE THOSE WHO NEVER LEFT!
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by Kobojunkie: 4:30pm On Jul 13, 2012
Solar does not need to cost an am and a leg. You fit your house with a 1000W system, that will power many of the basic lighting(including fans) needs of most small homes, and could cost about $3500 to install.

From the discussion so far, it seems the new tarrifs have raised the cost of electricity in Nigeria(even in it's epileptic state) to well over what the average person pays in the US for 24/7 electricity. Essentially, if you pay Naira 7000 each month for average of 5 hours a day of electricity, you are paying more than some of America who pay about the same amount for 24/7 hours of electricity. What do you do? Keep pouring money down the drain?
Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by ODB1: 4:31pm On Jul 13, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Dingbat, you don't need to ask me for anything. You felt to post your "fo_olishness" online for the public here to note, and I simply wondered why in the age of Information, Nigerians still make such decisions -- essentially going back to Nigeria to JOIN THE PROBLEM, only to turn around and COMPLAIN LIKE THOSE WHO NEVER LEFT!

Re: Have You Paid New Electricity Tariff? by Kobojunkie: 4:34pm On Jul 13, 2012
pdozie: Not everyone can afford to substitute by using solar energy. For those who can afford it, check out these links (solar, inverter etc)

https://www.nairaland.com/684167/inverter-users-lets-experience/4

https://www.nairaland.com/390522/solar-energy-complement-fta

I don't believe it all has to be done at once. For instance, if one starts by adding a couple of panels at a time, in 12 months, one could have a 5 panel system that guarantees the lights stay on, at least, 24/7, and that is light needed for reading, walking around, securing the property.

If you need to buy that huge tv, you also budget for the panels to power it as well.

I have a problem with the mentality exhibited by a large number of those who have left Nigeria for a period, seen how things ought to be done, but go back to Nigeria to continue living with the same old problems. Common sense should tell anyone moving back that provisions need to be made for to solve the electricity issue at least for the individual.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

[FULL LIST] Ministers And Their Portfolios / Inside The Endless Crises In South West PDP (Analysis) / 20 Million PVCs Unclaimed, INEC Laments Low Turnout

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.