Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,989 members, 7,873,181 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 09:22 AM

Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence (12113 Views)

Cute Photo Of Nwankwo Kanu With His Family / Nwankwo Kanu Celebrates His 39th Birthday Today! / Nwankwo Kanu Ranked 13 Out Of 50 Arsenal Greatest Players (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by mukina2: 2:11pm On Jul 12, 2012
Portsmouth is considering punishing former Super Eagles captain Nwankwo Kanu for his continued absence from club activities while he stays in Nigeria.

The veteran striker missed training for a second day on Tuesday as his teammates took part in a double session at Fratton Park.

The reason for Kanu’s action is yet unclear to the club which he led to an FA Cup victory in 2008.

Administrator Trevor Birch said, “Kanu is back in Nigeria, that is the understanding from his legal adviser, who I have been speaking to. I don’t actually know why he hasn’t come back. You will have to phone him and ask him.

“What I do know, though, is we have not reached a compromise and he was due back on Monday along with the rest of the contracted players. Then he just didn’t turn up.

“Kanu must turn up for training, or this is a breach of contract.

“Whether it is sufficient enough to terminate his contract I don’t know at this stage, we will have to wait and see.

“He will have to be disciplined, though. What we intend to do is an internal matter. I cannot talk about that.

“However, if it is a continued absence we will have to bring in the PFA.”

Source
Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by Okijajuju1(m): 3:05pm On Jul 12, 2012
Eyah!!

That guy should retire jor!!

He has nothing else to prove!
Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by Afam4eva(m): 3:14pm On Jul 12, 2012
is he still in portsmouth? That club dey try oo. Dem get money sha.
Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by Ibime(m): 3:23pm On Jul 12, 2012
Kanu is legendary in Portsmouth for missing pre-season training.

Most times he wont even sign contract renewal during pre-season.

He knows his body cant stand up to the rigours of pre-season training.

Unfortunately his club is bankrupt at the moment and if he tries it this time, they will sack him just to get his £500,000 salary off the wage bill.

2 Likes

Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by amosy007: 3:25pm On Jul 12, 2012
kai.. Kanu wan die 4 pitch?

1 Like

Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by paulpeters(m): 3:25pm On Jul 12, 2012
i tot kanu has retired, wot is he still doin in portsmoth...dt guy self, hm ney dy tire 2 chop moni?
Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by Roland17(m): 3:30pm On Jul 12, 2012
Papillo is still trying to gather enough pension money for retirement.

2 Likes

Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by dont8(m): 3:36pm On Jul 12, 2012
My one kobo advise to you uncle Papilo, quit when the ovation is more than loudest!
Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by sewenn(m): 3:37pm On Jul 12, 2012
He just av 2 retireHe just av 2 retireHe just av 2 retire
Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jul 12, 2012
THEY DON TALK AM SAY IGBO MAN CAN DIE FOR MONEY. LET HIM PLAY TILL 80. FOOLISH AMATEUR. LEGEND MY FOOT

1 Like

Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jul 12, 2012
i also tot he has retired
Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jul 12, 2012
Why is Kanu continuing to drain that club of all its resources?

Club that could not even afford to pay its cleaners at one point...

Kanu is just a thief...
Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jul 12, 2012
Igbo_hater: THEY DON TALK AM SAY IGBO MAN CAN DIE FOR MONEY. LET HIM PLAY TILL 80. FOOLISH AMATEUR. LEGEND MY FOOT

He will continue playing since he did not false his age just like other yoruba players like Martins and Ayegbeni who are 40 and say they are 25

6 Likes

Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by solaceguy(m): 4:03pm On Jul 12, 2012
K

1 Like

Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by fortran12: 4:03pm On Jul 12, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

He will continue playing since he did not false his age just like other yoruba players like Martins and Ayegbeni who are 40 and say they are 25

Who told you Yakubu is Yoruba? and even if he were what has his tribe got to do with it?, Nigerians n tribalism, stone age mentality!!!
Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jul 12, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

Kanu must be at least 50.

Google what Harry Redknapp and David James have to say about him...
Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by inspirenet: 4:04pm On Jul 12, 2012
afam4eva: is he still in portsmouth? That club dey try oo. Dem get money sha.

smiley
Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by 2cicily: 4:11pm On Jul 12, 2012
grin
CHESSBOARD:

una no go kill me for dis forum. Laf wan tear ma belle
Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by Miamibutch(m): 4:13pm On Jul 12, 2012
Sources claim kanu is looking to attract the chinese super league deals......money cant never be enough.
Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by sayso: 4:18pm On Jul 12, 2012
jackbauersballs:

pls source
Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by Castos(m): 4:19pm On Jul 12, 2012
Hehehehehe kanu wan fund his business them. Abeg pay him off jaree! grin
Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by chievo: 4:19pm On Jul 12, 2012
Some of you,Nairalanders,i marvel at d lousy way you air opinions,no offence,this guy is a married man with kids,have any one of you thought about family emergency holding him up,his child,wife or parents like illness or something of that nature?Did you hear Portsmouth manager calling him to know about his welfare rather than pushing it to kanu's legal adviser?We should always learn to be our brother's keeper,remember this guy saved a lot of hearts in his foundation,how many Nigerian footballers did up to that? Pls nairalanders be humane for once.

1 Like

Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by Castos(m): 4:21pm On Jul 12, 2012
sayso:
pls source
Choi, una funny o. Even stupid comment suppose get source. grin

1 Like

Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by adamscuti(m): 4:24pm On Jul 12, 2012
Nawa o na so e b now 4 kanu,abeg make he open businez 4 9ja here make he da run & live futbol
Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by spyder880(m): 4:24pm On Jul 12, 2012
The 28 year old may be doing some "investing" back in naija.
Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by adebayo201: 4:34pm On Jul 12, 2012
undecided tongue shocked
Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by chucky234(m): 4:43pm On Jul 12, 2012
jackbauersballs:

You be mumu,Kanu won all major silverware before his 21st birthday and that none in your entire household will achieve.
As far as I know Friedel,Giggs,Scholes,Pirlo,Del Piero were already first team players before Kanu broke into Ajax first team and they are still playing but no one is complaining.
If he is not contributing anything to the club they would have sack him long ago,that guy work as player coach for Portsmouth and they value his contribution at the club above any other player at the club.

1 Like

Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by pecopeco: 5:07pm On Jul 12, 2012
ok
Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by Kabikala(m): 5:11pm On Jul 12, 2012
I think my memory is failing me. Are we talking about the same Kanu that had a valedictory match played in his honour in Lagos last year?

See links:

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/sports/18829-valedictory-match-eto-adebayor-to-storm-nigeria-for-kanu-as-pompey-star-insists-eagles-days-are-over

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/football-golf-boxing/8308-why-i-retired%E2%80%94kanu.html
Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by Rinameh: 5:27pm On Jul 12, 2012
He is too old to even play. cheesy

---------------------------
Do you like discussing about sports? Join us here http://wedeytalk.com.ng/categories/sports
Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jul 12, 2012
chucky234: You be mumu,Kanu won all major silverware before his 21st birthday and that none in your entire household will achieve.
As far as I know Friedel,Giggs,Scholes,Pirlo,Del Piero were already first team players before Kanu broke into Ajax first team and they are still playing but no one is complaining.
If he is not contributing anything to the club they would have sack him long ago,that guy work as player coach for Portsmouth and they value his contribution at the club above any other player at the club.

sayso:
pls source

Please read the below article....

http://www.football365.com/f365-features/7680857/Why-Won-t-King-Kanu-Simply-Abdicate-
Re: Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence by oobim(m): 5:50pm On Jul 12, 2012
Uncle Taiwo and Martins(d only Yoruba footballers) are older than Kanu.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? / Enyimba Stand By Banned Captain, Austine Oladapo / Tokyo Paralympics 2020: Nigeria Gets Second Gold Medal In Powerlifting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.