Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,377 members, 7,929,190 topics. Date: Friday, 23 August 2024 at 10:37 AM

Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal (16935 Views)

BVN: No More Deadline Extension, CBN Warns / Nigeria’s Economy Could Slip Into Recession, CBN Warns / Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by billante(m): 5:47pm On Jul 12, 2012
Russia’s Foreign Ministry warned Nigeria on Thursday of potential damage to bilateral relations and urged action against a court decision that stripped the world’s largest aluminium producer, Russia’s Rusal, of its core African asset.

Nigeria’s supreme court ordered last week that Rusal, which owns 85 percent of the formerly state-run Aluminium Smelter Company of Nigeria (ALSCON), should cede its ownership, because the assets should have gone to another bidder, U.S. based BFI Group, when ALSCON was privatised five years ago.

Rusal said the ruling was against Nigeria’s Bureau of Public Enterprise (BPE), which handled the privatisation and gave Rusal the green light to acquire the stake for $205 million in 2007. The decision would thus not affect its ownership of ALSCON, the company said.

“The ruling could … to a significant extent undermine Russian-Nigerian investment and economic cooperation and incur negative consequences for the whole scope of bilateral ties,” the ministry said in a statement on its website www.mid.ru.

“We urge the Nigerian government to take the necessary actions in order to prevent potential damage to the existing fruitful and mutually beneficial relations,” the statement said.

BFI, headed by American-Nigerian Reuben Jaja, took BPE to court, saying the agency breached its contract. The supreme court ruling last week ordered that BPE revert to the original preferred bidder and BFI Group pay the agreed price of $410 million for ALSCON.

Oleg Deripaska, the controlling shareholder of Rusal, is a billionaire who has long enjoyed close ties with the Kremlin. The aluminium giant received billions of dollars in state bailout funds after the 2008 global financial crash.

ALSCON is one of Rusal’s key African assets with annual project capacity of 120,000 tonnes, however its operations have been hampered by regular electricity cuts allowing ALSCON to produce only 15,000 tonnes of aluminium last year, a company spokeswoman said.

Nigeria, Africa’s biggest oil producer, is like Russia plagued by rampant corruption. Both share 143rd position in the 2011 corruption perception index of 182 countries compiled by Transparency International.

http://www.africaeagle.com/2012/07/russia-urges-nigeria-row-back-on-rusal.html?spref=tw

1 Like

Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by billante(m): 5:59pm On Jul 12, 2012
If it is US court that gave a rulling concerning a US company will they try this shit!!

2 Likes

Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by wesley80(m): 6:11pm On Jul 12, 2012
Oh dear, here goes our nuclear power plant!

2 Likes

Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by tobechi20(m): 7:54pm On Jul 12, 2012
Gudluck, prepare 4 war

i trust our soldiers, they wil win russia.
When they cant win boko haram

6 Likes

Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by kbdrim(m): 8:14pm On Jul 12, 2012
tobechi20: Gudluck, prepare 4 war

Mtcheew..Our military cannot even prevent an asthma attack!

2 Likes

Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by hbrednic: 8:15pm On Jul 12, 2012
billante: If it is US court that gave a rulling concerning a US company will they try this shit!!
^^makes no sense
Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by Enlightened1: 8:22pm On Jul 12, 2012
War with Russia? Men I don pack my luggae begin Jalo.. If e happen, I was not there oooooo!!!

4 Likes

Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by tommykiwi(m): 8:24pm On Jul 12, 2012

If you dont have anything to say is better you keep quiet

1 Like

Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jul 12, 2012
I think the United States is behind this; Using GEJ as a means to get whatever he it needs.
Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by abujub(m): 8:27pm On Jul 12, 2012

do want them to wipe out nigeria from d surface of the earth.

1 Like

Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by purpinkx(m): 8:27pm On Jul 12, 2012
Jonathan has Russia under control ... I'm not afraid like Eminem cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by dayokanu(m): 8:29pm On Jul 12, 2012
Why is Russia shouting on us? Are we mates? Have they forgotten we have Emperor Retardeen Jonathan and Boko Haram?
Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by misterh(m): 8:29pm On Jul 12, 2012

This is a diplomatic row that might just severe d relationship btw the two countries lightly & does not necessarily translate to war. War ko, raw ni!

2 Likes

Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by alaoeri: 8:30pm On Jul 12, 2012

Why 'll this lead to war, round table discussion will settle the matter amicably.
Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by alaoeri: 8:31pm On Jul 12, 2012

Why 'll this lead to war? round table discussion will settle the matter amicably.
Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by ayox2003: 8:34pm On Jul 12, 2012
The kind of news streaming today! Na wa o.

Longest day in the life of Reuben Abati!!! The guy go over-work this weekend.
Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by miracle4(m): 8:39pm On Jul 12, 2012
Niaja tearing in pieces ... when will we get to the promise land .....a?
Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by Elueme: 8:39pm On Jul 12, 2012
Nigeria reserves the right to protect her primary interest, same Russia would have done if confronted with similar situation... They should shit their treat and employ a more diplomatic approach in seeking redress.. What bilateral relations are they referring? Parasitic one I guess

3 Likes

Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by InnoT1: 8:40pm On Jul 12, 2012
grin fear fear pple! Dis is wat thy wil discus n shake their hands n den share sum money den evrybdy go clean mouth walker go their own way

1 Like

Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by Siga: 8:41pm On Jul 12, 2012
Dont know why all una dey fear Russian....all we have to do is tell Boko Haram say we go convert to Islam....if dem send suicide bombers to Russia...Im sure dem go agree......so, no sweat wink
Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by kaeto(m): 8:42pm On Jul 12, 2012
David and goliath? Kai! Were's my catapult, i must shoot down 4 rusian jets b4 i bail to kotonou.

2 Likes

Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jul 12, 2012
Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jul 12, 2012
I just wonder why US and Russia cant fight a war on their soil instead of taking it to a proxy state.First it was in korea,vietnam,Afghanistan,Sudan,Syria and now,Nigeria.When will these world powers stop gambling with the lives of people of developing countries cuz of their superiority complex ?

5 Likes

Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jul 12, 2012
We're lucky Russia isn't an imperialist country...

Otherwise, they would've bombed aso rock back to the stone age.. grin
Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jul 12, 2012
~Bluetooth:

I just wonder why US and Russia cant fight a war on their soil instead of taking it to a proxy state.First it was in korea,vietnam,Afghanistan,Sudan,Syria and now,Nigeria.When will these world powers stop gambling with the lives of peopl of developing countries cuz of the superiority complex ?

USA is the coward - it's always looking for proxies to fight its wars...

Mother Russia has never lost a war on home soil, but the same can't be said of USA. grin
Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by Wislet(f): 8:48pm On Jul 12, 2012
some of you still behave like kids.
Reason and talk like the adults u're supposed to be.

2 Likes

Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by member479760: 8:51pm On Jul 12, 2012
watin Yankee wan do with Al-smelter for Naija, no bi China be their destination. The offered double price to kick Ruso out of the company. Let the useless Russians feel it after all same altitude they have toward foreigners in there country.

KICK THEM OUT NOW!

1 Like

Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by mrman2(m): 8:52pm On Jul 12, 2012
Sounds to me like they are trying to bully us.

2 Likes

Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by chucky234(m): 8:54pm On Jul 12, 2012
Siga: Dont know why all una dey fear Russian....all we have to do is tell Boko Haram say we go convert to Islam....if dem send suicide bombers to Russia...Im sure dem go agree......so, no sweat wink
I am laughing in Russian
Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jul 12, 2012
shymmex:

USA is the coward - it's always looking for proxies to fight its wars...

Mother Russia has never lost a war on home soil, but the same can't be said of USA. grin

Honestly, it's so annoying and frustrating see these guys with veto power disorganizing the world because of their power tussle.If US had bargained well to be favored with the company,so be it.

Nigeria is still a sovereign state and Russia should respect that.We dont need their oil and we dont have anything to lose.If they have a problem with US in their scout for resources to back up their capitalist economy,then they should face the US instead of vesting their anger on Nigeria.The Nigeria constitution SUPERCEDES any treaty russia has with Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by superior1: 9:01pm On Jul 12, 2012
Russia has not gotten over the Stalin era. Our Supreme court has spoken and so shall it stand

1 Like

Re: Russia Warns Nigeria Over Supreme Court Ruling On Rusal by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jul 12, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Honestly, it's so annoying and frustrating see these guys with veto power disorganizing the world because of their power tussle.If US had bargained well to be favored with the company,so be it.

Nigeria is still a sovereign state and Russia should respect that.We dont need their oil and we dont have anything to lose.If they have a problem with US in their scout for resources to back up their capitalist economy,then they should face the US instead of vesting their anger on Nigeria.The Nigeria constitution SUPERCEDES any treaty russia has with Nigeria.

Nigeria is the one acting like America's satellite state...

They should nationalize the company - and tell both Russia and US to fvck off...

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Applications For Agrihack West Africa 2016 Opens / Top 5 Causes Of Business Failure And How To Avoid Them / BUA Group Vows To Crash Prices Flour, Sugar, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.