Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,626 members, 7,934,880 topics. Date: Thursday, 29 August 2024 at 03:21 PM

Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe (4500 Views)

Which Subject Do You Think Is Going On? (Hilarious Photo) / Anambra Takes First Position In Schools Debate / Should Sex Education Be Taught As A Subject In Nigerian Schools? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe by SisiKill1: 3:49pm On Jul 16, 2012
@ Ekt_Bear
Are you delibrately missing the point to get the topic going?

They were not teaching WORLD HISTORY, they were teaching AMERICAN HISTORY!!!

The name of the subject was AMERICAN HISTORY. . .A-ME-RI-CAAAAN HI-STOO-RY!!!!!

Do you get it now or would you rather I drew pictures too??!!
Re: Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe by ektbear: 8:53pm On Jul 16, 2012
*shrug*

1. You didn't make it explicitly clear that they were teaching an American history course. You said "majority of the questions..." One would imagine that if the course was an American history, all of the questions would be on that subject, rather than only a majority grin

2. OK, so let's say this student was taking an American history course. So, wetin concern you? Some of my classmates I know took European history as an elective in high school. So unless it is also a mandatory class required to graduate, then no wahala. And if it is...and you have a problem with it, feel free to remove her from the school.
Re: Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe by SisiKill1: 9:07pm On Jul 16, 2012
Sigh!!

Elective? European History?? Dude, no offense but where did you go to school? I'm just asking because you don't sound like you have ever stepped foot in a Nigerian Secondary or maybe you are in stuck in some make believe world where the American High School is the same thing as the Nigerian Secondary school.

How do you not see a problem with teaching AMERICAN HISTORY in a NIGERIAN SCHOOL when they are not teaching NIGERIAN HISTORY?!!

You know, I'm starting to think those who say for you life starts and ends with America are on to something oh. embarassed
Re: Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe by ektbear: 9:55pm On Jul 16, 2012
Man. Looks like I'm going to have to break things down even more slowly.

1. So, you know for a fact that they don't teach Nigerian history at all in this particular school your friend's younger sister attends?
2. Do you know for a fact that this strange American history course for which "most" of the material was on American history (but not all of it) is again mandatory?

If the answer to both of the questions above is "YES", then your point is valid. Otherwise, it is not.
Re: Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe by antitpiah: 10:10pm On Jul 16, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Sigh!!

Elective? European History?? Dude, no offense but where did you go to school? I'm just asking because you don't sound like you have ever stepped foot in a Nigerian Secondary or maybe you are in stuck in some make believe world where the American High School is the same thing as the Nigerian Secondary school.

How do you not see a problem with teaching AMERICAN HISTORY in a NIGERIAN SCHOOL when they are not teaching NIGERIAN HISTORY?!!

You know, I'm starting to think those who say for you life starts and ends with America are on to something oh. embarassed

You are wasting your time. He is extremely out of touch WRT Nigeria. This is someone who has never lived in Nigeria. All he knows about Nigeria are from stuff he read here on NL from people who are more out of touch than himself. Entertain him at your peril and dont take it personal when he starts accusing you of not understanding his point because you failed to see things from his narrow American/SOCAL perspective.
Re: Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe by SisiKill1: 10:14pm On Jul 16, 2012
antitpiah:

You are wasting your time. He is extremely out of touch WRT Nigeria. This is someone who has never lived in Nigeria. All he knows about Nigeria are from stuff he read here on NL from people who are more out of touch than himself. Entertain him at your peril and dont take it personal when he starts accusing you of not understanding his point because you failed to see things from his narrow American/SOCAL perspective.

Abaaaaaaaajo!!

Ah!I should have paid more attention to you first post oh!!

Ughhhh!! 90 seconds I can't get back!!

@ Ekt_Bear
You owe me!!! angry angry
Re: Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe by ektbear: 11:01pm On Jul 16, 2012
Why do people always resort to this tactic when they don't have a point.

"In my friend's child's high school, they had an assignment that mostly covered US history, and from this I shall conclude X, Y and Z"

Then when someone calls you out for perhaps being hasty with your conclusions, then you play the "didn't grow up in naija card." Despite that being irrelevant to the questions asked
Re: Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe by SisiKill1: 12:35am On Jul 17, 2012
The reason the you didn't grow up on Naija line of arguement comes into play is because there are certain things you wont argue about if you did.

You are talking about your friends taking electives in high school and whatnot. . .This, sweetheart, is sure fire sign that you don't know what the heck you are talking about, at least when it comes to Nigerian schools.

I'm done with this, it has gotten really obvious you like to argue for arguing sake. Now usually, I won't mind joining in the roforofo but it's no fun if the other party is beyond clueless about the subject matter.
Re: Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe by SisiKill1: 12:47am On Jul 17, 2012
Oh by the way, one would think since I stated that they should be very specific that it is NIGERIAN HISTORY, right before I gave the example; it was clear these schools aren't teaching Nigerian History at all.

You know what, for arguments sake let's say it is the World History you keep harping on they are teaching them. . .is that still proper? To teach the history of other countires while saying nothing about yours? Is it? Is it?
Re: Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe by ektbear: 1:11am On Jul 17, 2012
I suppose you've lost me.

You gave an example of your friend's child's HS discussing American history. Me as a third party, I don't see why it logically follows from that that this HS doesn't discuss Nigerian history at all.

Or that this class covering American history is mandatory, while naija history is optional, etc, etc.

It just seems like a big leap to me
Re: Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe by antitpiah: 3:14am On Jul 17, 2012
ekt_bear: I suppose you've lost me.

You gave an example of your friend's child's HS discussing American history. Me as a third party, I don't see why it logically follows from that that this HS doesn't discuss Nigerian history at all.

Or that this class covering American history is mandatory, while naija history is optional, etc, etc.

It just seems like a big leap to me

rofl.
www.stormfront.org

PS: And BTW, next time use secondary school instead of HS . . . you'd sound more Nigerian. The reason is that we dont have "high schools" in Nigeria. Of course, you wouldnt know that because, err, you've never been to Nigeria and Ileke-idi, your main source of information on everything Nigeria, doesnt know ish about 99% of the nonsense she talks about. wink
Re: Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe by ektbear: 4:35am On Jul 17, 2012
I don't care whether i sound nigerian or not

why should this be of any importance to me
Re: Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe by antitpiah: 4:38am On Jul 17, 2012
^^^

Duh....... because we are all Nigerians here.

If you dont want to sound Nigerian, dont talk about Nigeria and GTFOH. You dont belong here grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

PS: I have opened an account for you on www.stormfront.org in the same handle you use here. smiley I am sure you will blend in there bettergrin grin grin grin
Re: Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe by ektbear: 4:43am On Jul 17, 2012
Whether you are nigerians or aliens from mars is not particularly relevant to me. I will do me, you can do you
Re: Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe by antitpiah: 4:47am On Jul 17, 2012
^^^

your password is ekiti, in case you are wondering.

Hopefully we will see less and less of you here in the days ahead. I wish you well.

Yay, American exceptionalism. Choc ice wink
Re: Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe by ektbear: 4:50am On Jul 17, 2012
Password? Ekiti? You mean my username?

Regarding your hopes and aspirations, you are probably already used to disappointment. So expect to be disappointed again in this matter.
Re: Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe by antitpiah: 4:51am On Jul 17, 2012
ekt_bear: Password? Ekiti? You mean my username?

Regarding your hopes and aspirations, you are probably already used to disappointment. So expect to be disappointed again in this matter.

No, your username is Ekt Bear; password, ekiti. They are waiting for you. . .
Re: Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe by ektbear: 4:54am On Jul 17, 2012
Is this like, supposed to be amusing? Or clever?

Am I supposed to laugh at your clever joke?

Do your homies in RL laugh politely when you say stuff like this?
Re: Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe by antitpiah: 4:57am On Jul 17, 2012
^^Anyway, you dont belong here and we will like to see you out of here as soon as possible. Dont let the door hit you on your way out.
Re: Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe by ektbear: 5:00am On Jul 17, 2012
Since you are the "voice" of Nairaland, the most respected and influential member of this community (rather than a creature despised by nearly all) I clearly have no choice but to carefully consider your request.

Expect a response back within a few months.
Re: Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe by odufalut: 8:01am On Jul 17, 2012
Nigeria law makers are law breakers,they are animals in d parliament,they only try 2 legalize d ilegality but dis should have been great opportunity 4 every Art students and others,and i pray 2 Allah 2 make my admission possible dis year as am hoping of gaining admission to unilorin 2 study history and international relation
Re: Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe by antitpiah: 8:11am On Jul 17, 2012
^^^
odufalut: Nigeria law makers are law breakers,they are animals in d parliament,they only try 2 legalize d ilegality but dis should have been great opportunity 4 every Art students and others,and i pray 2 Allah 2 make my admission possible dis year as am hoping of gaining admission to unilorin 2 study history and international relation

I dont think you are smart enough to study history at Unilorin . . . maybe you should consider becoming a conductor. I think thats your calling.Yeah, you will be a great conductor. cool
Re: Make History Compulsory Subject In Schools – Onyekpe by igbo2011(m): 5:01am On Jul 23, 2012
We need to have an AFROCENTRIC point of view on every aspect of history. The Pythagoras theorem needs to be changed to the Kemet theorem because AFRICANS already had it. We should have a through dose of AFRICAN history and empires from Mali, Songhai, Carthage, Phoenicians, Egypt, Zulu, Ile Ife, Benin, Nri, Bornu, Kongo, Luba, Kuba, Ghana, Kilwa, Swahili, Ethiopia, Punt, Monomotopia, and other GREAT empires. This should be taught not western history. The west steals most of their stuff from people around the world. They stole African, Asian and Native American ideas and took it as theirs. So western civilization is a mix of all civilizations around the world. Did you know Europeans learned about the C section from Ugandans? There are authors that should be taught it schools like Ivan Sertima, Anta Diop, Drusila Houston, Runoko Rashidi, Chauncellor Williams, Amos WIlson, and others. This will UPLIFT and UNITE Africans. We need to stop thinking like Afropeans and start thinking about Africans. Watch these videos to learn more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dIwh-nyz1g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVDKRyB53aI

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gcse And Nigerian Universities / Do You Say "Its High Time I Leave/left" / The Cut Off Mark 4 Law Student In Adekunle Ajasin University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.