Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,084 members, 7,916,151 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 04:33 PM

Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka (12754 Views)

Wole Soyinka: "InterInventions", My New Book Will Draw Blood / "kongi" A Poem For Wole Soyinka. Before Boko Haram's Threath / Four Nigerians, Six Others Vie For Wole Soyinka Prize For Literature In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by PaulJohn1: 5:18pm On Jul 13, 2012
lutherking1: positv coments all tru-is dis really nairaland? truelly one's intergrity sets the diffrence. happy birthday my mentor!!

That how we know a real man, his integrity speaks for him. Not those chop make I chop leaders we have now.

HBD living legend. I salute you
Dr. Wise:
Does Soyinka have a Ph.D? I don't think so.

The write up is incomplete, prof Soyinka went to OAU at Ife before he proceeded to Leeds in England. The write up is just the summary of his achievement.
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jul 13, 2012
The clarification I seek is if Prof. has a Doctorate according to the brief profile?
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by Pukkah: 5:53pm On Jul 13, 2012
Happy birthday to Professor Akinwande Oluwole Soyinka. May you walk and never stumble.
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by Remii(m): 6:08pm On Jul 13, 2012
]
Paul John:

The write up is incomplete, prof Soyinka went to OAU at Ife before he proceeded to Leeds in England. The write up is just the summary of his achievement.

Prof Wole went to UI before going to UK, he reportedly awarded 3rd class. He was among the founders of pirates confratanity in UI

All said, Kongi, Happy birthday, llnp
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by antitpiah: 6:26pm On Jul 13, 2012
Remii: ]

Prof Wole went to UI before going to UK, he reportedly awarded 3rd class. He was among the founders of pirates confratanity in UI

All said, Kongi, Happy birthday, llnp

Fist off, Wole Soyinka did not finish from UI so I dont know he could have graduated with a 3rd class degree when he didnt even graduate from the University.

Did he attend UI? Yes. Did he grduate? Hellz No

Enough of all this Wole finished with a third class degree crap. Professor Soyinka is a First class brain.
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by antitpiah: 6:27pm On Jul 13, 2012
Dr. Wise:
The clarification I seek is if Prof. has a Doctorate according to the brief profile?

No Ph.D. WHy do you need a Ph.D when you are the numero uno in your field. Einsten didnt go to grad school.
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by zoolandbaba: 6:35pm On Jul 13, 2012
antitpiah:

No Ph.D. WHy do you need a Ph.D when you are the numero uno in your field. Einsten didnt go to grad school.

I bet you don't have a clue of the rubbish you just spewed.
How many monikers do you have?
After engaging in your verbal abuse,
you log in with your other monikers to "like" them.
pathetic!
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jul 13, 2012
antitpiah:

Thank you. I know he's one of the very few Academics who were appointed Profs without Ph.D.
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by antitpiah: 6:50pm On Jul 13, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wole_Soyinka#Legacy_and_honours

In 2011, the African Heritage Research Library and Cultural Centre built a writers' enclave in his honour. It is located in Adeyipo Village, Lagelu Local Government Area, Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria. The enclave includes a Writer-in-Residence Programme that enables writers to stay for a period of two, three or six months, engaging in serious creative writing.
1973: Honorary Ph. D., University of Leeds
1973-74: Overseas Fellow, Churchill College, Cambridge
1983: Elected an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature [15]
1983: Anisfield-Wolf Book Award, United States.
1986: Nobel Prize for Literature
1986 Agip Prize for Literature
1986 Commander of the Federal Republic, CFR.
1990: Benson Medal from Royal Society of Literature
1993: Honorary doctorate, Harvard University
2005: Honorary doctorate degree, Princeton University.[16]

2005: Conferred with the chieftaincy title of Akinlatun of Egbaland by the Alake, Oba of his Egba clan of Yorubaland. He was made a tribal aristocrat with the right to use the Yoruba title Oloye.[17]
2009: Academy of Achievement Golden Plate Award
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by ifihearam: 7:37pm On Jul 13, 2012
Legacy and honours

In 2011, the African Heritage Research Library and Cultural Centre built a writers' enclave in his honour. It is located in Adeyipo Village, Lagelu Local Government Area, Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria. The enclave includes a Writer-in-Residence Programme that enables writers to stay for a period of two, three or six months, engaging in serious creative writing.

1973: Honorary Ph. D., University of Leeds

1973-74: Overseas Fellow, Churchill College, Cambridge

1983: Elected an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature [15]

1983: Anisfield-Wolf Book Award, United States.

1986: Nobel Prize for Literature

1986 Agip Prize for Literature

1986 Commander of the Federal Republic, CFR.

1990: Benson Medal from Royal Society of Literature

1993: Honorary doctorate, Harvard University

2005: Honorary doctorate degree, Princeton University.[16]

2005: Conferred with the chieftaincy title of Akinlatun of Egbaland by the Alake, Oba of his Egba clan of Yorubaland. He was made a tribal aristocrat with the right to use the Yoruba title Oloye.[17]

2009: Academy of Achievement Golden Plate Award
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by treasuremi1(m): 7:44pm On Jul 13, 2012
happy b'day sir.u r a living legend
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jul 13, 2012
Oh our outstanding icon happy birthday wishing more good year ahead.... amen
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jul 13, 2012
happy birthday our outstanding icon
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jul 13, 2012
gbomo jomo: pally it could have been worse. But No egbe sha!

Awa - u nor rugged atos!
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jul 13, 2012
Clerverly:
It could have been worze! We dey jazz to Hawkings right away! Where u no dey deck?

Awa - I nor deck around Hawkings AP waters pally. Where u nor deck?
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jul 13, 2012
ondo_boi: areWeMen oo, rgd cp bro!! 101 awu to yhu bro

njhzra! ubj fnvyvat?
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by julius0098: 8:56pm On Jul 13, 2012
Happy birthday Prof
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by koruji(m): 10:05pm On Jul 13, 2012
Happy Birthday to the Prof. of Profs. May your years continue to be long.
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by Angels: 10:46pm On Jul 13, 2012
Hbd..sir.(baba)
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by billyG(m): 10:51pm On Jul 13, 2012
my nepa bill has been increased 100 fold but i'm not going 2 pay a kobo more i swear,last time fuel price was increas d same month my landlord increase my house rent 100%,to make matter worse my boss has not paid me for 3 months now,we hav the worst president in power in naija,we hav not had it so bad like this b4 i now miss obj,look @ what sentiment did 2 us during 2011 election woe betide does who voted 4 the slowpoke
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by Hobbynarh: 10:54pm On Jul 13, 2012
happy birthday sir.LLnp
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by FriendMark(m): 1:02am On Jul 14, 2012
Happy birthday you sick genius! LOL
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by Heymus(m): 4:28am On Jul 14, 2012
Hbd to the proffff!!! llnp.
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by dfanthom(m): 8:12am On Jul 14, 2012
o CB of tortuga, ahoy 2ur bones! may you deerio 4eva!!!

rum pyrates rum & let the devil be ashamed....yohoho!!! cool
overboard to those who hate our guts......yohoho!!! cool

4-7 creed 4eva... grin
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jul 15, 2012
dfanthom:
o CB of tortuga, ahoy 2ur bones! may you deerio 4eva!!!

rum pyrates rum & let the devil be ashamed....yohoho!!! cool
overboard to those who hate our guts......yohoho!!! cool

4-7 creed 4eva... grin

Awa!
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jul 15, 2012
It is you people that share our codes to impostors. NCMs have been working hard tracking all sorts of fake posts and you are the ones making it difficult... 1/2W...
as an NCM, I am advising that the author of all the pyrate related posts above removes them NOW.

Go and post it at the CAP . . . Remember your #3
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jul 16, 2012
Those posts are still there.
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by DidiLove1: 6:30pm On Jul 18, 2012
Dr. Wise:
It is you people that share our codes to impostors. NCMs have been working hard tracking all sorts of fake posts and you are the ones making it difficult... 1/2W...
as an NCM, I am advising that the author of all the pyrate related posts above removes them NOW.

Go and post it at the CAP . . . Remember your #3

What the phuck are you talking about?
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 10:02am On Jul 19, 2012
Didi Love:

What the phuck are you talking about?

If it doesn't concern you then jump and pass.
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by DidiLove1: 8:31am On Jul 20, 2012
Concerns me bro, sharing what codes? And whatever you mean by fake posts!
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jul 20, 2012
@Didi
Pls it does not concern u!
Re: Professor Wole Soyinka Turns 78 Today-a Poem For Wole Soyinka by DidiLove1: 8:01pm On Jul 22, 2012
Dr. Wise:
@Didi
Pls it does not concern u!

Awaa die it!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Harry Potter And The Cursed Child Review By A Ten Year Old / Let's Make A Story / Guess The Author Or The Book

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.