Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,341 members, 7,910,750 topics. Date: Sunday, 04 August 2024 at 04:03 PM

Land Rover Freelander - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Land Rover Freelander (7762 Views)

Camry Engine For My Freelander 1999 Model / Advise Me On 2004 Land Rover Freelander / Good Service Center For Land Rover Freelander In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Land Rover Freelander by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jul 13, 2012
Please, auto gurus in the house, can any of you give me infos on Land-Rover Freelander. I am seriously considering one and I don't know good it is economically and the rest. And if it is a problematic car, please let me know. Thanks.
Re: Land Rover Freelander by WiseBukoye(m): 9:34am On Jul 14, 2012
My dear, run for your money and your mind would be at rest. In Nigeria, no competent autotechnicians for the car, except you're in Lagos. The problem often starts with overheating, then gear issues ensues. In fact, you might spend a fortune with no result. Frustration and any price selling off would be the final resolve. What a problematic car!

1 Like

Re: Land Rover Freelander by Nobody: 9:45am On Jul 14, 2012
Thank you so much bros. One of my ogas at work just bought one and I thought I loved it. But I had to ask about it here b 4 making up my mind about it, though I know a little about autos but I discouvered that there is nothing I know about freelander. And more over, I don't get to see people talk about it on NL. Tanx again for the info.
Re: Land Rover Freelander by Bornstar: 7:12pm On Jul 31, 2012
guy don't allow anyone to discourage you about land rover freelander is nice car, every car is base on it maintenance, i have the car for over 6months now no issues what soever, i traveled with the car to many places, many peoples make mistakes by adding water on the radiator when is not needed, i am enjoying everyday, silent engine and perfect working aircondition at all time. anyone that discourages you doesn't know to maintain car at all. service it the car asked u to do so there is always an indication about everything sign or fault. i wish u good luck.
Re: Land Rover Freelander by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jul 31, 2012
The issues with the Series 1 Landrover Freelander have been well documented on Nairaland. I have written several articles on the Rover K-series engine, and answered several queries on the same.

Unless you're looking to buy a Landrover Freelander 2,0 TD4 (from 2003 onwards) I would leave well alone. The Rover K-series engines are the least reliable power plants to come from British Leyland / Rover. The K-series 1,4, 1,6, 1,8 and the V6 models, 2,5 KV6 were not designed on a large budget. As a result, the steel liners in the aluminium crankcase don't seal properly between the block and cylinder head. They are suspended on robber rings at the base of the crankcase. As the rubber ages and gets hard, the liners "sink" in the block.

Combustion gases are then forced into the cooling system, pressurising it. Overheating then occurs. In most cars, a blown head gasket is not a big fix - new head gasket and head bolts, a skim if required, and the engine is back in business. With the K-series / KV6 from Rover, a new cylinder head is often required, if you're unlucky, a complete long block (crankcase and cylinder head). This is not a maintenance issue, it's a major design flaw that was not corrected before Rover went bust in 2004. Vehicles affected go way beyond Rover models - any vehicle fitted with a Rover K-series / KV6 petrol unit is affected. Sure, there are Landrover Freelanders floating around with their engines still running great. But the issues are inevitable - it's not "if" it happens, more like "when". Because regardless of how well they're looked after, they eventually succomb to their fate.

There are countless Rovers gracing junkyards in the UK and elsewhere, most of the cars look in great shape, no crash damage. Ask the owner of the yard how the car ended up in the junkyard, and the story's the same - catastrophic failure of the K-series motor. In my capacity as an engineer running a small garage, I've had an endless stream of Rover K-series-engined cars pass through my hands, some as breakers, some to have engines replaced. I'm not a car dealer, so I have no vested interest in selling cars, and undercutting Rover models. All I am doing is speaking from experience gained in the Motor Trade, and keeping my ears and eyes open, and my mouth shut.

Good luck to anyone not mechanically versed buying a Rover with a Rover K-series engine, who will have to rely on the services of a repair shop to keep their Rover on the road.

3 Likes

Re: Land Rover Freelander by Bornstar: 10:16pm On Aug 01, 2012
@Seina, which of the land rover freelander do u advice someone to buy base on ur experienced in repairs of this cars. i like the car very much and advice is very much appreciated. i look forward to hear from u.
Re: Land Rover Freelander by WiseBukoye(m): 10:33pm On Aug 01, 2012
My dear, must you buy a freelander? Two of my friends and I bought that car sometimes in 2007. In fact, the one that lasted long ran for 9 months. It finally developed the same overheating story and engine seizure around Ondo town (Lagos-Akure). You will spend your money to no avail, but might be lucky, though. Overheating-engine seizure-gear replacement + other electrical issues. Anyway, it your choice, but be wise. Best of luck.

3 Likes

Re: Land Rover Freelander by deeja(m): 7:28am On Aug 02, 2012
@Wise Bukoye

Which year is your freelander and was it bought in Nigeria?
Re: Land Rover Freelander by Nobody: 7:38am On Aug 02, 2012
Bornstar: @Seina, which of the land rover freelander do u advice someone to buy base on ur experienced in repairs of this cars. i like the car very much and advice is very much appreciated. i look forward to hear from u.

If you truly must buy a Landrover Freelander, I would advice you look at late '03 models. The Rover K-series were still the only petrol engines fitted, but mid-2003 marked the introduction of BMW's 2,0 common rail TD4 engine, and the demise of the Rover 2,0 diesel.

1 Like

Re: Land Rover Freelander by gabng(m): 8:45am On Aug 02, 2012
Oga Sciena

How about the american specs version of the freelander. is it a safe buy?
Re: Land Rover Freelander by Nobody: 9:00am On Aug 02, 2012
gabng: Oga Sciena

How about the american specs version of the freelander. is it a safe buy?

American "specs" is an ambigous term. The specification for different countries generally refers to the trim level, not the engines. So a US-import Freelander will have the same flaws as any other.
Re: Land Rover Freelander by WiseBukoye(m): 9:29pm On Aug 02, 2012
The cars were shipped in to Nigeria from the States. They were petrol engines with leather interior. Two were 2001, while mine was 2002. Well, if you read within the lines, Oga Sienna said it all.... 'If you really want the freelander' and his last sentence in his last response. Anyway, it your choice. I'm not an auto guro, though. Best of luck.
Re: Land Rover Freelander by lukkie(m): 9:56pm On Aug 02, 2012
@OP
Forget it, don't buy a Freelander. They're cute but not worth it. My neighbor bought one less than a year ago and it's given him a lot of issues. He towed it to Lagos from Benin Expressway last December. Don't say you're not warned bros. My advice,
If you want peace of mind, buy a Japanese car (just don't over-speed with it).
If you're rich, buy German.
If you want to pretend that you're rich, buy one of those "brand new" paper foil Korean cars.

2 Likes

Re: Land Rover Freelander by WiseBukoye(m): 8:57pm On Aug 03, 2012
@ Bornstar, I thought you said you're riding your freelander for six months now? Just wondering.... why you asked Sienna for which year of the freelander one should buy? Except you're thinking of trade-in or something. Anyway, I pray you enjoy your freelander. You might be among the lucky one. No curse or offense, but I hope you post your experience after a year usage. @ OP, please for you own good and rest of mind, think twice. Its your choice. Anytime I see a freelander, I pray to God to bless the owner very well, so that they don't get to depressed.
Re: Land Rover Freelander by Nobody: 8:42am On Aug 12, 2012
Wise Bukoye: Anytime I see a freelander, I pray to God to bless the owner very well, so that they don't get to depressed.

This bit made me chuckle.
Re: Land Rover Freelander by deeja(m): 8:39am On Aug 13, 2012
@Siena
Please specify a car that doesn't have any flaw?
Re: Land Rover Freelander by Nobody: 3:25pm On Sep 08, 2012
@ Siena and others, Thank you so much for all your infos. Well, my friend at work has issues with the car now. Check light permanently on, scanned severally and they kept saying is catalyst. Funny noise coming from the rear of the car. Coscharis Ibadan claims parts not available yet catalyst. Well, he still drives around like that. Tanx again.
Re: Land Rover Freelander by larry2000: 5:43pm On May 14, 2013
please guys my name na preye please what do u guys see about ford explorer 2008/09
Re: Land Rover Freelander by FlyboyZee: 11:01pm On May 14, 2013
I thought I asked y'all to stay off this stuff, whats wrong with ya?
On a more serious note all the Land Rover Freelanders I ever saw were at the mechanic's place, probably abandoned and forgotten by the owners.

That vehicle was, is and will remain as Leyland/Land Rovers greatest mistake ever. It is a mechanico-electrical contraption of no veracious applicability to the hocus pocus of the everyday mobility of the homo sapiens specie. (Feeling like Hon P. Obahiagbon).

1 Like

Re: Land Rover Freelander by chykenny: 6:34pm On Jun 02, 2013
What about the LR3
Re: Land Rover Freelander by DeeAk: 7:38am On Jun 13, 2019
@Nobody, thank you for your insight. My freelander is still moving. However, I have a noise issue from under the vehicle when my leg is on the brakes. Can I hook you up regarding this issue?
Re: Land Rover Freelander by Alvin007: 9:53am On Jun 13, 2019
DeeAk:
@Nobody, thank you for your insight. My freelander is still moving. However, I have a noise issue from under the vehicle when my leg is on the brakes. Can I hook you up regarding this issue?
‘Nobody’ means the moniker has deactivated his account. The moniker here was Sienna. I believe he is no longer on Nairaland..(except with an alternate discreet moniker). He was very vast in automobiles.
Re: Land Rover Freelander by DeeAk: 12:08pm On Jun 13, 2019
Is there a way someone can reach him?
Re: Land Rover Freelander by Alvin007: 12:56pm On Jun 13, 2019
I doubt if he’d wanna be contacted by anyone..from here..(Nairaland)..I might be wrong though...
Between, I don’t have his contacts.
Re: Land Rover Freelander by MobilityExpress: 6:00pm On Jun 13, 2019
If you want to try the freelander, then buy the one with the 2.5L KV6 engine. Use [antifreeze] OAT coolant, not water, you won't have overheating problems. Also use the right engine oil, 5W40 or 0W40. Also, take note, the thermostat and pipes are plastics, so they are replaceable parts after like 3 years. So the one that came with the one you want to buy might be on its last legs. So, if you notice any coolant loss in your coolant reservoir (or expansion tank), then that's a sign that your thermostat plastic housing and pipes are about to give up. Such leaks must be taken care of early, so to prevent overheating or other problems etc. It's not a bad car. Just needs attention and proper taking care of by someone that understands its system. If you don't understand its system, you will.have a lot of problems with it. Also, the 2.5L KV6 uses 3 timing belts, take note. Na this part they shake table grin

2 Likes

Re: Land Rover Freelander by luv4diran: 9:41am On Feb 26, 2020
Just change the engine and gear to Camry 2.0 or 1.8 liter engine and install a 3cell radiator if you wish to... But with the Toyota engine you are good to go, so far you service it appropriately... And constantly checking the oil. Simple.... Then your worries will be on the brakes, door, to windows, sunroof and probably hob and propeller.thats all
Re: Land Rover Freelander by Praxtech: 11:51am On May 01, 2020
lukkie:
@OP
Forget it, don't buy a Freelander. They're cute but not worth it. My neighbor bought one less than a year ago and it's given him a lot of issues. He towed it to Lagos from Benin Expressway last December. Don't say you're not warned bros. My advice,
If you want peace of mind, buy a Japanese car (just don't over-speed with it).
If you're rich, buy German.
If you want to pretend that you're rich, buy one of those "brand new" paper foil Korean cars.

Finito
Re: Land Rover Freelander by Praxtech: 11:52am On May 01, 2020
luv4diran:
Just change the engine and gear to Camry 2.0 or 1.8 liter engine and install a 3cell radiator if you wish to... But with the Toyota engine you are good to go, so far you service it appropriately... And constantly checking the oil. Simple.... Then your worries will be on the brakes, door, to windows, sunroof and probably hob and propeller.thats all

What motivates you to do this nonsense?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Between C300 And C350 / I Need Your Help!!! Which Of These SUVs aka "Jeeps" Should I Buy For Lagos? / Plz Help Me On Transmission Issue (updated)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.