Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,356 members, 7,923,443 topics. Date: Saturday, 17 August 2024 at 06:51 AM

Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO (2791 Views)

List Of Waec Examination Centre Number For Various School (internal) / Where Is The Best And Easiest Centre For Gce(waec Or Neco)? / Dose The Waec Or Neco Expire? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by antitpiah: 10:55pm On Jul 14, 2012
Lagos — The Minister of Finance, Dr Mrs. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has described Nigeria's current educational system as ineffective and advocated a paradigm shift to focus on technical and vocational training.

Dr. Okonjo Iweala, who delivered a keynote speech at the 2012 Isaac Moghalu Foundation held yesterday in Lagos, decried Nigeria's sustained fallen standard of education over the years and blamed government, educators and parents for the problem.

The minister, who spoke on "Reforming Nigeria's Education System: A Paradigm Shift", said government has failed to forge a clear framework to develop the sector while the "regulatory system in the sector is largely ineffective and this reflects on the curriculum especially in many private schools of foreign origin."

She questioned the logic of having both WEAC and NECO conducting same exams for the same set of students at the same time, saying that one of the bodies should be scrapped because the arrangement is not adding any value to the quality of education.

On educators, the minister she spoke of their corrupt tendencies and moral bankruptcy, saying it was disgusting that a parent could hire someone to write exams for their wards or buy marks for them.

Okonjo-Iweala, who backed her submission with statistics from the World Bank and other sources showing how Nigeria's education dwindled over the years, concluded that the entire educational system needs retooling to focus on "learning outcomes and skills acquisition than just years of schooling."

She also said Nigeria's development quest would be a mirage if her educational paradigm was not shifted now to be Nigeria's development needs specific.

The minister decried the dearth of qualified teachers in Nigeria, saying statistics showed about 57 percent of Nigeria's primary school teachers are not qualified.

She said because the resources being extended to education sector was not commensurate with the output, the federal government would not increase education budget until leakages in the sector are eliminated.

Also speaking, the governor of Central Bank, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, agreed that Nigeria needs to focus on technical education but insisted that appointment into positions of authority must be based on merit and not based on some affiliation to a political party.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201207130936.html
Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by antitpiah: 10:55pm On Jul 14, 2012
At least someone is thinking
Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by Okijajuju1(m): 11:07pm On Jul 14, 2012
I couldn't agree more... NECO should be scrapped... So also should GCE and JAMB.

A student who aced WAEC can gain admission into school in any west afican country, yet can't ain't admission in Nigeria..

Our educational system seems like what was set up by illiterates

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by Nobody: 11:39pm On Jul 14, 2012
I don't see anything wrong with the existence of both waec and neco. Students should be able to opt for or against any of the examination councils. If a student wants to partake only in waec, he should have the right to do so.
Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by Kobojunkie: 11:43pm On Jul 14, 2012
Nigerian leaders and speeches!!! dem fit talk but what we need, action, they have a hard time with.

J12: I don't see anything wrong with the existence of both waec and neco. Students should be able to opt for or against any of the examination councils. If a student wants to partake only in waec, he should have the right to do so.

While I agree with you, I have to ask, isn't that what GCE is for?
Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by Nobody: 11:44pm On Jul 14, 2012
J12: I don't see anything wrong with the existence of both waec and neco. Students should be able to opt for or against any of the examination councils. If a student wants to partake only in waec, he should have the right to do so.

Seconded. I can only advocate a scrap if there is drop in quality of one relative to another. There should be pluralism of choice.
Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by antitpiah: 11:45pm On Jul 14, 2012

I agree. People should be free to do whatever they want in a free enterprise system. That said, dont use my tax money to do what another person is already doing well.

NECO should not be bankrolled by the government.
Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by Nobody: 12:52am On Jul 15, 2012
Kobojunkie:

While I agree with you, I have to ask, isn't that what GCE is for?

No. GCE is an exam conducted by waec and neco (not so sure about neco).
Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by Nobody: 12:54am On Jul 15, 2012
antitpiah:

I agree. People should be free to do whatever they want in a free enterprise system. That said, dont use my tax money to do what another person is already doing well.

NECO should not be bankrolled by the government.

Why won't it be bankrolled by the government when it is solely owned by the government?
Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by ektbear: 3:41am On Jul 16, 2012
So you cannot gain admission into Nigerian universities with only a WAEC result?

Kinda strange.

Either they should standardize on one exam, or allow students to pick any of the exams to take and use that for admissions.
Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by ubandire(m): 10:25am On Jul 16, 2012
ekt_bear: So you cannot gain admission into Nigerian universities with only a WAEC result?

Kinda strange.

Either they should standardize on one exam, or allow students to pick any of the exams to take and use that for admissions.

Like always u missed the point,no body said that.
Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by ektbear: 10:27am On Jul 16, 2012
Well

Okija_juju:
A student who aced WAEC can gain admission into school in any west afican country, yet can't ain't admission in Nigeria..

somebody said it. So you are wrong.
Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by Nobody: 10:33am On Jul 16, 2012
GCE is waec for people who are not in a secondary school

sort of like high school equivalecy or what do you call it

i did not quite get the gist of her speech at first , with the self flagellation and all. . .

Dr. Okonjo Iweala, who delivered a keynote speech at the 2012 Isaac Moghalu Foundation held yesterday in Lagos, decried Nigeria's sustained fallen standard of education over the years and blamed government, educators and parents for the problem.

The minister, who spoke on "Reforming Nigeria's Education System: A Paradigm Shift", said government has failed to forge a clear framework to develop the sector while the "regulatory system in the sector is largely ineffective and this reflects on the curriculum especially in many private schools of foreign origin."
until i got here

She said because the resources being extended to education sector was not commensurate with the output, the federal government would not increase education budget until leakages in the sector are eliminated.

that is what all this long story is really about.

what does she mean by leakages in the sector? or is this some sort of catchall to justify keeping the education budget down?
Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by Nobody: 10:37am On Jul 16, 2012
madam minister you want to boost education in nigeria - make public schools compulsory for wards of governors, ministers etal, including your kids
Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by Okijajuju1(m): 11:10am On Jul 16, 2012
oyb: madam minister you want to boost education in nigeria - make public schools compulsory for wards of governors, ministers etal, including your kids

After doing that, All public schools should be run by a board of Directors that directly oversee the running of the school and are free to tweak the policies of each individual school (with an aim to improving the quality or standard of education) without too much of a bottleneck from the government... Also, students can be punished for bad behavior and expelled if necessary.. Military school should be an option for truant kids..

On the issue of external exams, NECO should be scrapped in the interest of ECOWAS and giving the students a wider array of university choices rather than NECO which limits them to Nigeria and maybe Ghana.. JAMB should be done away with and Universities should start admitting based on Aggregate scores... This issue of JAMB makes one wonder what exactly WAEC and NECO is all about?!]

Technical Education needs to be encouraged as thats the future of this Nation..
Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by Kobojunkie: 11:13am On Jul 16, 2012
JAMB should remain. WAEC and GCE should remain. These are exams that have been proven beneficial in the past, I mean when our Education system was still strong, and should remain. NECO, I never saw the need for it to begin with.

Why are these people still not serious about tackling the many obvious problems in our Education system?
Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by Okijajuju1(m): 11:15am On Jul 16, 2012
Kobojunkie: JAMB should remain. WAEC and GCE should remain. These are exams that have been proven beneficial in the past, I mean when our Education system was still strong, and should remain. NECO, I never saw the need for it to begin with.

Why are these people still not serious about tackling the many obvious problems in our Education system?

What purpose does JAMB serve?!

In my opinion it makes SSCE almost redundant...

In the U.S you dont see students writing SATs and another examination just to gain admission into the University!
Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by Kobojunkie: 11:34am On Jul 16, 2012
JAMB and WAEC test student strengths in different areas. Anyone who has taken both of the exams will submit that the two exams almost focus on testing different skills. And that is why those who pass WAEC are not guaranteed a pass in JAMB, and vice versa.
Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by Okijajuju1(m): 11:44am On Jul 16, 2012
Kobojunkie: JAMB and WAEC test student strengths in different areas. Anyone who has taken both of the exams will submit that the two exams almost focus on testing different skills. And that is why those who pass WAEC are not guaranteed a pass in JAMB, and vice versa.

Expand please?!

Jamb tests you on the exact same subjects that WAEC already tested you on... I dont see any difference.. Its not like one is an aptitude and the other curriculum based.. they are both one and the same..
Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by antitpiah: 5:15pm On Jul 16, 2012
Okija_juju:

Expand please?!

Jamb tests you on the exact same subjects that WAEC already tested you on... I dont see any difference.. Its not like one is an aptitude and the other curriculum based.. they are both one and the same..

I agree with you.

See below:

Considering the predictor variables individually in the first year, WASSCE1 is the
best single predictor of the students’ CGPA, accounting for about 8.9% of the
explained variance. SSCE1 scores were the second best single predictor, accounting
for about 4.3% of the variance in year one CGPA, while WASSCE2 ranked third,
accounting for about 4.1% of the variance in single-variable prediction equation.
WASSCE/SSCE scores ranked fourth, accounting for 3.6% and UME was the least
predictor, accounting for 1.5% of the variance in year one CGPA.
The reasons for the
very low predictive power of UME scores are not entirely clear, further analysis may
be required to isolate the factors responsible for the observed phenomenon. Such an
investigation is somewhat beyond the scope of the present study. It is also pertinent
to mention here that SSCE2 and NBCE/NTCE were excluded in

http://www.iaea.info/documents/paper_1162d3940.pdf

The conclusion that UME doesnt correlate well with how students do in universities has been replicated by many researchers from OAU to NSUKKA, over and over again.

THE UME is a pretty useless and time wasting exam.
Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by antitpiah: 5:20pm On Jul 16, 2012
This shows that the candidates that obtained the highest scores in the university matriculation examination obtained the lowest grades at the end of the first year at university
http://alphaedufoundation.org/AEF%20CORRELATION%20BETWEEN%20POST%20UME%20SCORE%20AND%20CGPA-2.pdf

It is however surprising that despite the better performance exhibited by the JAMB admitted candidates the UME scores correlated poorly with O-Level aggregate scores, 100 level CGPA and physiology scores of the students. This paradoxical situation may not be unconnected with the unreliability of UME scores on account of the many documented instances of examination malpractice (Gabriel Dike, 2005; Fasua and Oseghale, 2005; Mgbi, 2006) with which the conduct of the examination is associated. Furthermore there is a consistently observable lack of correlation in the relationship between the O-Level aggregates and the UME scores of students. Students who have excellent O-Level aggregates rarely score above 220 in JAMB. This may indicate that there is a very wide gap in the standard attained at O-Levels and that expected for UME. It would seem that many students bridge this gap by attending special JAMB preparatory classes, which coach them specifically for the examination. The 6-3-3-4 educational policies of the Nigerian government, which was put into place in 1990’s, was designed to meet this need for a bridging of the gap between Secondary and University education. However in its implementation virtually all Secondary Schools use the extra year provided for revision of School Certificate subjects. The 6-3-3-4 educational system was conceived as an alternative to A-Level and with its inception the A-Levels were scrapped. This eventually led to a gap between Secondary School and University. We suggest that the O-Level syllabus should last five years as before and that the extra year, (S.S.3) should be used in preparing students for the UME, Poly JAMB and NCE. With this adjustment, we are sure the discrepancy will be removed

http://scialert.net/fulltext/?doi=jms.2007.1021.1026&org=11

A recent study in the Faculty of the Social Sciences, University of Ibadan, which was cited by Kale in the year 2004 University Lecture (Kale 2004) provided interesting evidence in support of the lack of correlation between JAMB scores and academic achievement in the University. The study showed that the best performances in all the departments in the Faculty at the first year University Examinations were recorded by those students with JAMB scores of 221 to 240 or lower. Of particular interest is the Department of Geography, where the student with the best 100 level results was admitted with a JAMB score of 201 (Kale, 2004). In the same study, one student who came in with a JAMB score of above 270 did not pass the minimum five courses needed to stay on in the University and was therefore made to withdraw (Kale, 2004).

http://www.bioline.org.br/pdf?md06003

Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by ishmael(m): 8:57pm On Jul 16, 2012
Let govt give attention to technical/vocational education like madam NOI rightly said.
Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jul 16, 2012
The nothing inherently wrong with the 6-3-3-4 system. The main of our education sector is poor regulation and it has led to the decay of all standard educational levels especially the 3-3-4 levels( JSS - SS- Degree).
The decay is less visible in the primary levels due to its lesser need for high/ extra quality standards. But in the secondary and tertiary levels, it's a different all game.
1. There's a lack of qualified teachers in the secondary levels.
2. The students read Outdated textbooks most of the time/ poor study materials
3. The salaries paid to teachers are too meagre
4. Poor learning conditions in schools
5. Poor/loose supervision of examinations. . .

These students take these problems and conditions to the next level where they meet even more serious problems in their tertiary institutions
1. Lack of updated libraries
2. Lack of qualified lecturers
3. Disgusting learning and living conditions
4. Poor or no research facilities. . . Etc

These students graduate, some become teachers (especially the dull ones), they teach the nonsense they've been taught to the young students . . . And the cycle continues.

The nigerian education sector is totally in shambles.
Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by kingebuka(m): 5:34am On Jul 17, 2012
Why wud any of the exam be scrapped off so that they will device anoda means in keeping students at home( na rubbish she talk)
Re: Nigeria: Ngozi Wants Scrap Of WAEC Or NECO by Okijajuju1(m): 10:38am On Jul 17, 2012
king ebuka: Why wud any of the exam be scrapped off so that they will device anoda means in keeping students at home( na rubbish she talk)

Too many short cuts!

Students have become lazy with patching results.. (Half NECO, half WAEC).. If you write and pass your SSCE, you dont need to bother with staying at home as you are guranteed an admission!!

(1) (Reply)

Uniabuja Pulls Out Of ASUU, Directs Students To Resume On Sunday / WATER TREATMENT : How To Treat Water For Students On SIWES/I.T / Nabteb Agric Practical Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.