Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,257 members, 7,880,980 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:21 AM

Floods In Ibadan Again - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Floods In Ibadan Again (8280 Views)

Ibadan Again: Police Uncover Fake Currency Factory In Ibadan / Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes / Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Floods In Ibadan Again by citizenisb: 9:54pm On Jul 15, 2012

For the second time in less than a year, Ibadan, the capital of Oyo State witnessed a disastrous flood. Many parts of the city were affected by the flood which caused extensive damage. Incidentally, most of the parts that were affected by the August 26, 2011 flood also bore the brunt of the latest flood.

After the rains that spanned from Friday night till the early hours of Saturday, the bridges that were repaired in Oluyole Estate were flooded again with the waters washing away almost a quarter of the road. The bridge on the way to Rhema Chapel was rendered impassable by 7 am on Sunday morning. Incidentally, some of those living in the area confirmed to Street Journal that as at 5 am, vehicles and motorcycles were still passing. The water however rose above the bridge all of a sudden. The situation was the same at the Seven Up area of Oluyole Estate where the water level rose tremendously forcing many people to stay indoors. The waters also rose as much as the lintel levels of some houses.

The Apete bridge that was fixed after last year’s flood has also been washed away again. Damages have also been recorded in areas like Ogbere, Opere, Ajobo Arulogun where the road was cut into two and many other parts of town. In Oke Ayo, the bridge that links the area has was totally submerged, same for some houses in the area.

Street Journal’s investigations revealed that many of the houses that were marked for demolition for obstructing the flow of water are still standing; with some of them even being reconstructed. Some residents who spoke to Street Journal in Oluyole Estate pointed out that for those houses to have remained standing despite the Government’s resolve to demolish them last year, some bribes might have changed hands, especially in view of the fact that compensation was paid to some of the affected people.

Some people have also opined that the State Government’s attitude to the situation could is also a contributory factor. For instance, the houses that should have been demolished are still standing, thus obstructing free flow of water. It was also observed that the Government chose to delay most of the construction works it is carrying out, thereby allowing the rainy season to start with the works still ongoing.

http://thestreetjournal.org/2012/07/flood-sweeps-ibadan-again/
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Kobojunkie: 9:56pm On Jul 15, 2012
What in God's earth is the Governor of Oyo State doing?
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by NigeriaKwenu(m): 9:38am On Jul 16, 2012
How did that car get inside that canal?

Afam4eva(Mods biko unban me)
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Demdem(m): 9:42am On Jul 16, 2012
To be honest, Ajimobi should wake up.
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by obawalter(m): 9:47am On Jul 16, 2012
I learnt there was an Heavy Rain in Ibadan Yesterday that caused another flood τ̲̅ȍ †ђξ City. Less we forget, is not up to ∕̴Ɩ year we experience such in the city where lives and millions of Properties were loss. Some days after the Governor of the state commissioned a temporary bridge in Apate and some material was given out to some affected victims.
Thanks to different Agencies,NGOs, Philanthropy that come to our Aids in the state by donating Relieved materials to the Victims and lots of fund among which is a sum of N60million donated by Aligo Danagote which was made public. As at that time Ecology Fund came in to the state. And all this fund was given on behalf of the people that lost their life. Great People of Oyo state the question now is what has our government done with all this money. The temporary bridge in Apate has being damage long time ago and washed away by yesterday rain. Am sure if they spend the money wisely yesterday flood will be minimal. We are using this medium to call on the Government of the state to raise up to these and other challenges to as to move Oyo state forward. God bless us all.
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Nobody: 9:56am On Jul 16, 2012
that lady in yellow on the other side... hope she can swim sha, do the physics
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by 2baga(m): 10:02am On Jul 16, 2012
God help us o. it seems d govt still lack d capacity to make a positive impact in d lives of d citizenry
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by miteolu(m): 10:12am On Jul 16, 2012
Demdem: To be honest, Ajimobi should wake up.

Ajimobi government is dead while living
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by yemmight(m): 10:17am On Jul 16, 2012

So he brought the flood abi? Or do you want him to perform miracle to stop flood immediately? Have you ever asked what the previously govt have done in the past 8 years in that state? Have u been to that state recently and asked yourself what the previous govt achieved in the past?

3 Likes

Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Demdem(m): 10:32am On Jul 16, 2012
yemmight:

So he brought the flood abi? Or do you want him to perform miracle to stop flood immediately? Have you ever asked what the previously govt have done in the past 8 years in that state? Have u been to that state recently and asked yourself what the previous govt achieved in the past?

Agreed, the problem didnt originate from him, however what has he done so far for these re-occuring floods. we all know there are floods also in lagos and the efforts fashola and his commissioners are putting in but for Oyo things seems to be quiet of recent. the governor and his people should come out and educate us on what he has done so far and what he is currently doing. The problem simply cant vanish in a day, its a process that must commence somehow.

forget bleaching Akala, he is gone for good. Lets hold these current ones accountable for now.
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Sike(m): 10:44am On Jul 16, 2012
O ga oh!
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Dainfamous: 10:53am On Jul 16, 2012
CHEI........
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Cyberconnect12: 11:00am On Jul 16, 2012
Kobojunkie: What in God's earth is the Governor of Oyo State doing?
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by ozoneamani: 11:33am On Jul 16, 2012
yemmight:

I am presently looking at the Lautech Teaching Hospital where the stupie,lavish,old fool former governor and his cohorts spent 50 billion naira.
Akala ,his party(PDP) and his locally employed contractors have drained the state of her resources even before the advent of this new government.
I just dont know the reason we want a particular situation to change overnight. Am not in support of bad governance but I think we should give the present government a chance to exhibit its potentiality and some would say when? And pls dont start the comparism of Lagos and Ibadan.
Before anyone crucifys me, I am not a politician but just a concern indigen of this state.

1 Like

Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by ozoneamani: 11:35am On Jul 16, 2012
yemmight:

I am presently looking at the Lautech Teaching Hospital where the stupid,lavish,old fool former governor and his cohorts spent 50 billion naira.
Akala ,his party(PDP) and his locally employed contractors have drained the state of her resources even before the advent of this new government. He spent the cash like you will find the bagged water polythene on the street.
I just dont know the reason we want a particular situation to change overnight. Am not in support of bad governance but I think we should give the present government a chance to exhibit its potentiality and some would say when? And pls dont start the comparism of Lagos and Ibadan.
Before anyone crucifys me, I am not a politician but just a concern indigen of this state.
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Beaf: 11:41am On Jul 16, 2012
People should take good note of a state like Akwa Ibom and recognise why there are no floods there.
I cannot understand how an inland state like Oyo with its hills gets flooded every year when Niger Delta states that are practically at sea level and surrounded by water don't. In a place like Warri, it rains for 8 or more months in the year, and it can rain for days on end.

1 Like

Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by lekkie073(m): 11:51am On Jul 16, 2012
Make he turn hinself to umbrella to cover the whole state? Or what? embarassed
Make he turn hinself to umbrella to cover the whole state? Or what?
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by bcomputer101: 11:55am On Jul 16, 2012
NigeriaKwenu: How did that car get inside that canal?

Afam4eva(Mods biko unban me)

u re a fool. the driver drive it inside just to park it dere......
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Kobojunkie: 11:58am On Jul 16, 2012
yemmight:

Stop with the lame-brained excuses. Yes, inherited a state with no serious drainage system in place but it does not take 10 years to build a functioning drainage system. Any serious government can do that in less than a year. Considering he knew of this problem before resuming office, one would expect he gets to solving it immediately . .. hit the ground running essentially.

And please do not follow this up with more brain-fart about how there is no money . . . many of these states are able to take out loans to get work done, and I see no reason why any new Governor should not have a good plan on how to deal with problems, even like this one, already.
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jul 16, 2012
@dayokanu,pele tie
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Dainfamous: 12:26pm On Jul 16, 2012
ACN governors don't they have a manifesto before assuming powers?just carry brooms all over the place....................
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by dipotech: 12:32pm On Jul 16, 2012
Let God help the present government it seems as if it lacks sense of direction.
The government has already marked some structures for demolition but have they carried it out?
Are they afraid or taking money (not bribe like Farouk Lawan)at the expense of the masses.
I beg, they say prevention is better than cure, let's do the right thing at the right time.
Oyo o ni baje o
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by candy82(m): 1:07pm On Jul 16, 2012
Kobojunkie: What in God's earth is the Governor of Oyo State doing?
Y O̶̷̩̥̊͡Ŋ heaven n earth do w blame †ђξ Governor!wat abt †ђξ pple who dump refuse i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ rivers n stream up n down s it †ђξ Governor dt does dt n moreover he was ard dt Ơ̴̴͡f oluyole estate τ̅☺ Ơ̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴̴͡ FO̶̷̩̥̊͡Я himself hw can human been b pleased abt all dis...God gave us †ђξ rain r w going τ̅☺ stop him frm doin so No ...let everyone b at alert Ơ̴̴͡f all dis close one eyes n open †ђξ other if Ɣ☺ΰЯ house is close τ̅☺ a̶̲̥̅̊ river or wen passin O̶̷̩̥̊͡Ŋ a̶̲̥̅̊ bridge...L♥vε̲̅ You aLL if we cld stay alive ...
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by yemmight(m): 1:12pm On Jul 16, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Stop with the lame-brained excuses. Yes, inherited a state with no serious drainage system in place but it does not take 10 years to build a functioning drainage system. Any serious government can do that in less than a year. Considering he knew of this problem before resuming office, one would expect he gets to solving it immediately . .. hit the ground running essentially.

And please do not follow this up with more brain-fart about how there is no money . . . many of these states are able to take out loans to get work done, and I see no reason why any new Governor should not have a good plan on how to deal with problems, even like this one, already.

For a long time that i have known you here, you way has always been upside down, so i am used to it. Sometimes i wonder if you walk using your head. Even battling drainage since Tinubu era has not resolved the problem but WIP. So for you, one year is enough to handle drainage in a State like Oyo? i dont even know the planet you presently occupying but if you are close to your homeland, you should be precise in reasoning. I was in Ibadan last weekend and i can clearly see the difference btw Kobojunkle, Akala and Ajimobi. Two weekends ago, I was also in Ogun State and i saw massive construction of road network with good drainage and i can easily compare Kobojunkle, Gbenga Daniel and Amosun.

1 Like

Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by DEngineer(m): 1:29pm On Jul 16, 2012
i saw up there some posters claim Apete bridge was repaired, thats a LIE, i was at Apete last week and there was nothing done yet there, a wooden makeshift bridge was made for people to walk on, and a very old bulldozer as a camouflag, with a small hose drawing water from the site to show they r working, with TSG or sumtin as the name of the contractor, honestly the new government dint start the situation in the state but why will such delicate contract be awarded to a company whose name we havent heard and have no record of such big contract in their portfolio...

Ajimobi should not dissapoint the people cuz while in lagos, i saw how massively the people of oyo state rallied to ensure he gets to the office, he should not sit down abi slumber while flood destroys the citizens. He cant't solve all the problems but y give such massive job to quacks.

i wish i had the chance to take picture of last week rain and flood at SAWMILL area of Old Ife road in ibadan, a stubborn okada man and his rider were swept into the canal by the high current flood. i managed to pass with prayers cuz the current was too strong, imagine the state of our Country.
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by agitator: 1:38pm On Jul 16, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Why won't they give excuse, after all he is not a member of PDP.
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Beaf: 2:16pm On Jul 16, 2012
Beaf: People should take good note of a state like Akwa Ibom and recognise why there are no floods there.
I cannot understand how an inland state like Oyo with its hills gets flooded every year when Niger Delta states that are practically at sea level and surrounded by water don't. In a place like Warri, it rains for 8 or more months in the year, and it can rain for days on end.

Again, I will ask how this can be occurring in Ibadan every few months? angry

It isn't even in the Niger delta where the most rainfall is recorded and where the land is always wet.
Lets just agree that the Oyo state government is a huge failure.
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by agitator: 2:17pm On Jul 16, 2012
yemmight:

For a long time that i have known you here, you way has always been upside down, so i am used to it. Sometimes i wonder if you walk using your head. Even battling drainage since Tinubu era has not resolved the problem but WIP. So for you, one year is enough to handle drainage in a State like Oyo? i dont even know the planet you presently occupying but if you are close to your homeland, you should be precise in reasoning. I was in Ibadan last weekend and i can clearly see the difference btw Kobojunkle, Akala and Ajimobi. Two weekends ago, I was also in Ogun State and i saw massive construction of road network with good drainage and i can easily compare Kobojunkle, Gbenga Daniel and Amosun.

But by your m0r0nic posts on nairaland it is more than enough for GEJ grin grin
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by yemmight(m): 2:29pm On Jul 16, 2012
agitator:

But by your m0r0nic posts on nairaland it is more than enough for GEJ grin grin

Why should I engage with an agitator? Recently, I have noticed that more than 60% of posters like this on NL are underage that don't even know the Governors or party chairmen names so how do you want such pple to contribute in this section? Some of you are still doing part-time job and part-time programs in School.
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by Murphy7h4: 3:08pm On Jul 16, 2012
BUMPS
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by lekejob(m): 3:57pm On Jul 16, 2012
I dont know how those that are not in oyo state knows what we are passing through here. If somebody that called himself governor use one year to think. When will he act. People are comparing Akala n Ajimobi. Just wait n see what ajimobi will do. He has nothing ups. Yeye man
Re: Floods In Ibadan Again by pofolo(m): 3:58pm On Jul 16, 2012
Odo-ona elewe , church nla axis

(1) (2) (Reply)

Power Generation Drops By 1,074MW To 3,443MW / Illegal Immigrants Take Over Nigeria / Top 5 Richest States In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.