Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,337 members, 7,907,864 topics. Date: Thursday, 01 August 2024 at 03:33 PM

The Usefulness Of Psalm - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Usefulness Of Psalm (4778 Views)

Pastor Psalm Okpe Of Fresh Oil Ministry And The Singer That Died In Benin Hotel / Is The Book Of Psalm Part Of Book Of Moses? / Comparison Of Psalm 22 And Matthew 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Usefulness Of Psalm by ola2006: 2:42pm On Dec 05, 2007
I want somebody to teach me how I can use Psalm to fight spiritual battle.

which psalm is applicable to a particular spiritual battle in life.
Re: The Usefulness Of Psalm by Kobojunkie: 9:23pm On Dec 05, 2007
ola2006:

The Psalms are not to be used like you would juju. Repeating the Psalms will not solve your problem at all, as that is not what it is all for. You need to go to God with your problem with a sincere heart believing to receive. If you like, read the psalms 200 times a day, if you are not right with God, do not expect any thing. Even just saying "God HELP ME" is prayer if the heart is right with God.
Re: The Usefulness Of Psalm by lafile(m): 11:57am On Dec 06, 2007
@Ola2006
FYI the Psalms are not the christian version of incantations. Where did that idea come from by the way?
Re: The Usefulness Of Psalm by dafidixone(m): 1:07pm On Dec 06, 2007

Psalms are not incantation or a special extract for a specific purpose. I will like to inform you that only words of God can be use to fight Spiritual battles. While you are praying to God remind God of what He promise concerning your situations.

If you look at the Psalms you will see that they are examples of how to present your requests before God. Contrary to your thinking they are not they are not incantations.
Re: The Usefulness Of Psalm by pilgrim1(f): 12:49pm On Dec 28, 2007
The Psalms are also a wonderful collection of inspired prophecies and promises that believers have found for seasonal blessings.

When you read through the Psalms, let God speak to your heart.

Let Him calm your anxieties:
Psalm 9:10

Let Him strengthen your faith:
Psalm 18:2

Let Him challenge your aspirations:
Psalm 37:3

Let Him comfort you in distress
Psalm 141:8

There are so many rich blessings He seeks to pour out to ALL who would simply believe Him. wink
Re: The Usefulness Of Psalm by Reverend(m): 12:58pm On Dec 28, 2007
Be Independent, you don't need to to believe in fairy stories or invisible men

JUST REMOVE THE 'LET HIM' and you have some useful psalms cheesy

[list]
[li]Calm your anxieties by talking to others[/li]

[li]Strengthen your faith in yourself[/li]

[li]Challenge your aspirations[/li]

[li]Let your family and friends comfort you in distress[/li]
[/list]

Place your faith in humanity and not in pretend beings and fairy stories  wink wink wink
Re: The Usefulness Of Psalm by pilgrim1(f): 1:08pm On Dec 28, 2007
Reverend:

Be Independent, you don't need to to believe in fairy stories or invisible men

JUST REMOVE THE 'LET HIM' and you have some useful psalms cheesy

[list]
[li]Calm your anxieties by talking to others[/li]

[li]Strengthen your faith in yourself[/li]

[li]Challenge your aspirations[/li]

[li]Let your family and friends comfort you in distress[/li]
[/list]

Place your faith in humanity and not in pretend beings and fairy stories wink wink wink

I know it has always been the usual thing to remove "HIM". Those who have done that have also found their aspirations tougher to handle.
Re: The Usefulness Of Psalm by babs787(m): 8:29pm On Dec 28, 2007
@pilgrim,

Let us solve this contradictions from the inspired word of God

Great deliverance giveth he to his king; and sheweth mercy to his anointed, to David, and to his seed for evermore. (Psalms 18:50)

God will show mercy to “David’s seed forever”. Yet the following passage from Jeremiah contradicts Psalms 18:50

Is this man Coniah a despised broken idol? is he a vessel wherein is no pleasure? wherefore are they cast out, he and his seed, and are cast into a land which they know not? O earth, earth, earth, hear the word of the LORD.Thus saith the LORD, Write ye this man childless, a man that shall not prosper in his days: for no man of his seed shall prosper, sitting upon the throne of David, and ruling any more in Judah. (Jeremiah 22:28-30)

Coniah/Jehoiachin was from the “seed of David”, yet God cursed him because he disobeyed Him, and the seed of Coniah/Jehoiachin is cursed forever. This verse contradicts Psalms 18:50 where it states God will show mercy to David’s descendents forever.

Amazingly, the Gospel of Matthew adopts Jesus into the cursed lineage of Coniah! (Matthew 1:11-12)

The words “sheweth mercy to his anointed” (Psalms 18:50) refers to Jesus because he was the Anointed (Messiah), so how can God reject Jesus’ prayer at Gethsemane? How can God contradict this verse by withholding His mercy?

2 The Bible denies the Love of God:

The LORD loves righteousness and justice;
the earth is full of his unfailing love. (Psalms 33:5, NIV)

The Bible teaches the exact opposite of this verse, God is a vengeful murderer who kills thousands of innocent people:

And he smote the men of Bethshemesh, because they had looked into the ark of the LORD, even he smote of the people fifty thousand and threescore and ten men: and the people lamented, because the LORD had smitten [many] of the people with a great slaughter. (1 Samuels 6:19)

And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof. Slay utterly old [and] young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom [is] the mark; and begin at my sanctuary. Then they began at the ancient men which [were] before the house. (Ezekiel 9:5-6)

And it came to pass, that at midnight the LORD smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sat on his throne unto the firstborn of the captive that [was] in the dungeon; and all the firstborn of cattle. (Exodus 12:29)

"And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up, and their houses, and all the men that appertained unto Korah, and all their goods. They, and all that appertained to them, went down alive into the pit, and the earth closed upon them: and they perished from among the congregation. And all Israel that were round about them fled at the cry of them: for they said, Lest the earth swallow us up also. And there came out a fire from the LORD, and consumed the two hundred and fifty men that offered incense." (Numbers 16:32-35)

"Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and tortuous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we call it the word of a demon than the word of God. It is a history of wickedness that has served to corrupt and brutalize humankind." (Thomas Paine)

“The Bible is the most dangerous book in the world” (George Bernard Shaw)

3 Does the Earth shake or not?!

The earth shook, the heavens also dropped at the presence of God: [even] Sinai itself [was moved] at the presence of God, the God of Israel. (Psalms 68:cool

Contradicted by:

The LORD reigns, he is robed in majesty; the LORD is robed in majesty
and is armed with strength. The world is firmly established; it cannot be moved. (Psalms 93:1)

Say among the nations, "The LORD reigns.” The world is firmly established, it cannot be moved; he will judge the peoples with equity. (Psalms 96:10)

4 The Anger of God

But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness. (Psalms 86:15)

Contradicted by:

How long, O LORD ? Will you be angry forever? How long will your jealousy burn like fire? (Psalms 79:5)

Will you be angry with us forever? Will you prolong your anger through all generations? (Psalms 85:5)

Does God remain angry forever, or is He just “slow to anger?”

5. How long will humans live?

And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also [is] flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years. (Genesis 6:3)

Contradicted by:

The length of our days is seventy years— or eighty, if we have the strength; yet their span is but trouble and sorrow, for they quickly pass, and we fly away. (Psalms 90:10)

Question: which verse do you think is more realistic? They both contradict each other!

6 Does God reject his people?

For the LORD will not reject his people; he will never forsake his inheritance. (Psalms 94:14)

Contradicted by:

And the LORD rejected all the seed of Israel, and afflicted them, and delivered them into the hand of spoilers, until he had cast them out of his sight. (2 Kings 17:20)

Let me stop. More are still coming from your inspired book atrributed to David.
Re: The Usefulness Of Psalm by pilgrim1(f): 1:35pm On Dec 31, 2007
@babs787,

babs787:

@pilgrim,

Let us solve this contradictions from the inspired word of God

I really ahve no issues with the Psalms or any other book of the Bible. I might have had issues with them BEFORE I left Islam; but it is issues like this that strengthened my disgust for Islam and opened my eyes to the duplicity inherent in Islam.

For example, you war is not against me personally; nor have your efforts helped the cause of Islam in all your arguments. For one thing, you acknowledge that what you are seeking to attack is the "inspired word of God" - and that says it all for me, whether or not you're vexed as to find 'mistakes, contradictions, etc' in them. What I do know is that anybody CAN find the so called "contradictions" when they deliberately read them out of context.

An example in this case is found in Proverbs:

Proverbs 26:4
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.

Proverbs 26:5
Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

If one is unable to study the context of these verses and their applications, he immediately shouts that it is contradictory! I have often used this as a simple example, but many times it turns out that those who have such a mindset would often deny its implications NO MATTER how sensible the answers may be.

Second, the Muslim hypocrisy of seeking to attack the Psalms (or any other Biblical scriptures) does not help anyone applaud Islam. I think you guys should begin to seriously consider your wasted effort in this strain, because one the one hand the Qur'an says that Allah gave the Psalms to David; then again Muslims come to attack the same Psalms that they claim Allah gave!! The easiest thing for Muslims therefore to do as a way of covering up their deceit is to LIE that the "original" Psalms (or Torah, Injil, etc) are LOST!

Even you babs787 said that the Qur'an stated that the Torah was LOST, and I asked you to simply quote the verse where the Qur'an "STATED" such a thing! Ever since I asked that simple thing, you have NEVER quoted that verse at any time! WHY? Because you obviously knew in your heart that you were [b]LYIN[/b]G! And if you could afford to LIE so shamelessly in a public Forum, why would pilgrim.1 then abandon salvation in Christ and then embrace your LIES?

The two issues that Muslims should deal with are: (a) their hypocritic lies; and (b) their mindset to deliberately attack Christians and Jews.

I have no problems at all with Muhammad's career as a totally different religion that has no reference at all to the revelations of God and the Bible. But when Muslims claim that the same God sent Muhammad, and then turn round to attack that same God and His revelations, such a hypocritic adventure is enough for me to continue to stay out of Islam! You cannot be praising 'Allah' and then rubbishing his claims only when it helps your hypocrisy. Such an attitude is not worth the sands on the road of Medina!
Re: The Usefulness Of Psalm by babs787(m): 7:14pm On Dec 31, 2007
@Pilgrim.1

I really ahve no issues with the Psalms or any other book of the Bible. I might have had issues with them BEFORE I left Islam; but it is issues like this that strengthened my disgust for Islam and opened my eyes to the duplicity inherent in Islam.

For example, you war is not against me personally; nor have your efforts helped the cause of Islam in all your arguments. For one thing, you acknowledge that what you are seeking to attack is the "inspired word of God" - and that says it all for me, whether or not you're vexed as to find 'mistakes, contradictions, etc' in them. What I do know is that anybody CAN find the so called "contradictions" when they deliberately read them out of context.

An example in this case is found in Proverbs:

Proverbs 26:4
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.

Proverbs 26:5
Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

If one is unable to study the context of these verses and their applications, he immediately shouts that it is contradictory! I have often used this as a simple example, but many times it turns out that those who have such a mindset would often deny its implications NO MATTER how sensible the answers may be.

Second, the Muslim hypocrisy of seeking to attack the Psalms (or any other Biblical scriptures) does not help anyone applaud Islam. I think you guys should begin to seriously consider your wasted effort in this strain, because one the one hand the Qur'an says that Allah gave the Psalms to David; then again Muslims come to attack the same Psalms that they claim Allah gave!! The easiest thing for Muslims therefore to do as a way of covering up their deceit is to LIE that the "original" Psalms (or Torah, Injil, etc) are LOST!

Even you babs787 said that the Qur'an stated that the Torah was LOST, and I asked you to simply quote the verse where the Qur'an "STATED" such a thing! Ever since I asked that simple thing, you have NEVER quoted that verse at any time! WHY? Because you obviously knew in your heart that you were LYING! And if you could afford to LIE so shamelessly in a public Forum, why would pilgrim.1 then abandon salvation in Christ and then embrace your LIES?

The two issues that Muslims should deal with are: (a) their hypocritic lies; and (b) their mindset to deliberately attack Christians and Jews.

I have no problems at all with Muhammad's career as a totally different religion that has no reference at all to the revelations of God and the Bible. But when Muslims claim that the same God sent Muhammad, and then turn round to attack that same God and His revelations, such a hypocritic adventure is enough for me to continue to stay out of Islam! You cannot be praising 'Allah' and then rubbishing his claims only when it helps your hypocrisy. Such an attitude is not worth the sands on the road of Medina!

Will you provide explanation to those verses and stop beating about the bush which you are well known for?
Re: The Usefulness Of Psalm by pilgrim1(f): 1:02am On Jan 01, 2008
@babs787,

babs787:

@Pilgrim.1

Will you provide explanation to those verses and stop beating about the bush which you are well known for?

I knew you would have nothing to say further than that. That was why I only quoted them and waited for you to show your empty bloviates. cheesy
Re: The Usefulness Of Psalm by Xvalier: 1:57am On Jan 01, 2008
Hi Pilgrim.1,

you have beautifully replied.  

Is there any christian out there that truly requires answers to these issues? The bible never contradicts itself. The Spirit of God guarantees the accuracy of everything stated in scriptures 21Pet 1:21)

Every statement in scripture is not true, however they are truthfully stated. For example, when job stated in Job 1:21 that the Lord giveth and taketh away; that statement made by Job was truthfully stated by Job, and it was recorded in scriptures for us to know, however, we see that it was the devil taking away (however, as the Lord permitted), a lot of untrue statement are also found in Ecclesiastes.

God tells us to rightly divide His WORD (2Tim 2:15), understanding His WORD is not like attending a History class where you cram for exams and return to sender during exams, it requires the Spirit of God speaking to Spirit filled Christians to gain underatnding (1Cor 2: 9 - 16)

All the questions raised by babs787 is not an issue, he clearly lacks understanding, most of the things he stated have no correlation.

Keep studying guys.

I am sure there are a lot of people in this forum that can answer questions regarding the questions stated earlier, if every one is cool, lets move on.
Re: The Usefulness Of Psalm by pilgrim1(f): 3:46am On Jan 02, 2008
Hi Xvalier,

Thanks for your inputs. smiley
Re: The Usefulness Of Psalm by babs787(m): 8:01pm On Jan 02, 2008
@xvalier

All the questions raised by babs787 is not an issue, he clearly lacks understanding, most of the things he stated have no correlation.

Keep studying guys.

I am sure there are a lot of people in this forum that can answer questions regarding the questions stated earlier, if every one is cool, lets move on.

What else do you expect from those that are inclined to falsehood. Now consider a scenario where one of your folks asks muslim questions and muslim didnt respond, what will be your response? Rather than explain the contradictions in your holy book, you keep praising each other on falsehood.

I am sure pilgrim.1 will do that cheesy

@pilgrim.1

Your input will still be appreciated grin

cool cool
Re: The Usefulness Of Psalm by pilgrim1(f): 7:04am On Jan 03, 2008
babs787:

@pilgrim.1

Your input will still be appreciated grin

cool cool

As soon as you respond to the questions I offered you in the pending threads. cheesy
Re: The Usefulness Of Psalm by babs787(m): 10:19am On Jan 03, 2008
@pilgrim.1

As soon as you respond to the questions I offered you in the pending threads.

My dear sister that happened to be the greatest maradona on nairaland grin grin. So it has now turned to that cheesy cheesy. Ok, let me have your questions that I have not answered.

cool cool
Re: The Usefulness Of Psalm by pilgrim1(f): 8:43am On Jan 05, 2008
babs787:

@pilgrim.1

My dear sister that happened to be the greatest maradona on nairaland grin grin. So it has now turned to that cheesy cheesy. Ok, let me have your questions that I have not answered.

cool cool

@babs787,

~ (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-102400.0.html#msg1799505)

~ (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-102400.0.html#msg1799690)

Please stop being such a hypocrite - go to the relevant thread and deal with them.
Re: The Usefulness Of Psalm by mrpataki(m): 8:10pm On Jan 10, 2008
David was man who God stated was after his heart. When he wrote those beautiful Psalms, it was to extol the beauty of God in his holiness.

The Psalms is not to be used as a tool for commanding your enemies to die. I would never pray for my enemies to die with Psalms. It is witchcrafty.

(1) (Reply)

Vampirism Is Real! Read The Testimony Of A Former Vampire Now Serving The Lord / Why Do Animals Die ? / Anita Oyakhilome Rolls On The Floor As Her Husband Ministers (2004 Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.