Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,113 members, 7,890,698 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 06:32 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 - Travel (124) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (310461 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) ... (273) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by zerocool(m): 9:59pm On Nov 16, 2012
kpolli:

You now see why I went angry. . . . When a whole egbon seedord doesn't know that naija zip code is not 23401 cry cry cry cry cry cry

It is just a code that nigerians formulated themselves

Dial ke, my zip code here is diff from area code ooo

kpolli:

23401 is not a naija zip code ooo, its for Keller, Virginia

Nigeria zip code is 234, Lagos is 01. So.. Lagos, Nigeria zipcode is 23401.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by zerocool(m): 10:09pm On Nov 16, 2012
kaytee07: Thanks peeps. Interview was yesterday @ the Lagos Embassy with a black American guy. Here's how it went: Can't even remember if I greeted him.
VO: Please pass your documents
Me: Passed my docs (Passport, I-20, Admission letter, etc)
VO: What course are you going to study?
Me: Business administration and Management
VO: Why did you choose Bleep University?
Me: Spoke about the courses and how each of those courses can help achieve my overall career objective here in Nigeria
VO: How many schools did you apply to?
Me: I said "three" and mentioned them
VO: Why did you choose this school over the two?
Me: Re-iterated the answers I gave to the first question
VO: Did you write GMAT?
Me: Yes, I passed my score sheet (he looked through and passed it back)
VO: Who's paying for your education?
Me: My mum
VO: What does she do?
Me: I explained
VO: What do you do presently?
Me: I work with a company (mentioned the name) as an associate in the xyz unit
All the while, he was typing. When he finished, he gave me a white collection form and said "Your visa has been approved, pick it up @ ikeja on..." (didn't hear the guy after that)
That was the end of the interview. The only supporting document he requested was my GMAT score report. All glory to God

I'm back on this thread after a while off. One of my last few posts on this thread was that, it is relatively easy to get a U.S student visa if you are going for graduate studies i.e Master's Degree.

Congratz!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by zerocool(m): 10:21pm On Nov 16, 2012
dnpasion: It was really a sad day for me because i got Denied today at Lagos Us Embassy and here is how my interview went. Firstly i was bit nervous when answering the questions.

Vo. Why this school?
Me. I chose this uni becos 99% of their classrooms are technology-enabled and the school offers intelligence cognate which combine the key elements of computer science with the skills needed for work in the security and business sector.
Vo. How many schools did you applied to?
Me. 3 and listed but only xyz admitted me.
Vo. Who is Jerry westfall?
Me. Thought he said Jerry Falwel so I said he is the founder of the school because Jerry Falwel is the founder and chancelor of the school not knowing he was referring to Westfall who happens to be one of the prof. In the computer sc. Department.
Vo. Why this major?
Me. I chose this major because almost every major challenge facing society is turning to computing for a solution.
Vo.What will you do after the completion of your study?
Me. Come back for my nysc after that I wish to work for the nigeria government.
Vo. Who is sponsoring you?
Me. My dad
Vo. What does he do?
Me. Business
Vo. Type of business?
Me. He is a major distributors of mouka and yinka oba foam, he is also into sales of building materials.
Vo. How much does it have in bank for your program?
Me. Told him the total on the bank statement but he didn't bother to look at the bank statement.
He typed for some minutes hoping that he is going to give me the green paper but unfortunately he gave me a white paper and said sorry can't grant you a visa.

On the white paper given to me, it was stated there and I quote that: After considering the information you supplied through your visa application, your responses to questions asked durong interview and information available in our databases, the consular officer who conducted your interview determined that you have not demonstrated that you qualify for a U.S. Nonimmingrant Visa.
This may have been because you either did not demonstrate strong ties outside the united states or you were unable to demonstrate that your intended activities would be consistent with the type of visa for which you applied.

There might have been some factors that influenced the denial. One is, if the consular officer was asking about a professor in the department you were supposed to start in, and you supposedly gave another name, (like you did, i think).. he would think you don't know much about the school you are going to. Some officers, will deny solely based on that, without the interview going further from that point.

But, the interview went on, without him questioning you about being wrong with the name he asked about. That means, he is trying to give you more chance with the interview. I think what made him eventually deny you, is because of your sponsor's (dad) financial status. 'Business' as a source of income, is unpredictable in the real sense. If it was a monthly salary, (even politicians - "public servants" have a monthly salary) it could have given your interview a boost, because he would have probably just requested for his pay stub or something.

Truth is, they know anyone especially desperate Nigerians, can put together multi-millionaire naira bank statement, so they most times are not interested in it.

I wish you luck next time in your interview, bro. Luck really matters.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 11:17pm On Nov 16, 2012
knock out: . Well yvete in as much you are trying to help, watching ur language is very necesary..you might think you are being smart, but u dont know the damage u must have cost that guy.as for ur past infos u r doing a very good job providing solutions and probabilitis for peeps on here i really appreciate that..we all here wants to study in america the only reason why some make up story to help them cross the consular is cos there story might not be as sweet as the other guys story..even some who are applying has rich fathers some has traveled 2 american before,while has a very good job, not every one has that opportuinity...this is the first time i will be contributing on this thread i hope it helps some1 out dere my cousin just recieved his visa this week to go study at the same community college i applied to, the major factor in securing a vise is God and trust me no pastor can help u exept u talk 2 God ur self,

See me see wahala! I don't wish to dig up any dirt, but I feel the need to respond to you. Did I ask you not to attend the community college or imply that your Dad is not rich? FYI: As a smart lady, grin I transferred to a community college for 2 years to "keep extra change in my pocket". The primary reason I stumbled on this thread is because two of my cousins need help. Everything I know, I learned on here. If I know-it-all, I wont encourage Mamacita to read over 300 pages of this thread in its entirety from part 1! Why would I intentionally discourage someone else when I'm praying for the same visa for family? Note: Anything you post online (facebook, twitter, nairaland, youtube...etc) is up for maybe-not-what-you-want-to-hear responses.

Everyone talks about OPT, OPT, OPT. After my undergrad, I didn't even use it because someone told me how to get the H1B directly. If I didn't talk about it, would I know what to do? Swallow your darn pride and learn. Obviously, not from me.

I work in front of a computer from 9-5, and occasional boredom brings me to Nairaland so your success or delay has nothing to do with me. We're not friends and may never see each other so learn NOT to take things personally. Please don't discourage yourself in quest for undue respect.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 11:34pm On Nov 16, 2012
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Square65: 12:01am On Nov 17, 2012
webstradamus:
+1

Y'all can actually lookup your zip code on the NIPOST website here: http://www.nigeriapostcodes.com

Please tell them again ...

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by dnpasion(m): 12:26am On Nov 17, 2012
I'm really impressed with your response. I'm grateful
Yvete:

O my! I'm really saddened to read this. You've been so active on here. Take a shot at it again maybe December or January. Whilst, there are no right or wrong answers, I think you should give your answers in lay man's terms next time. Since private schools are expensive, make your Dad look like a BIG BOSS!

You MAY rephrase your Dad's business this way --> My Dad is an International wholesale distributor for mattresses across West Africa grin and also a major distributor of building materials and home improvement needs. (Hype him, he's your Dad.) cheesy

Create a better response to your long-term goals after graduation. Instead of a blank answer like "I want to work for the Nigerian Government". I made this sample, ---> "With the technical skills from a degree in Comp Sci, I hope to get a job in Military Intelligence with the Nigerian Defense ministry or Air-Force and manage enlisted personnel in GIS/IT/Data processing.... A career there is rewarding". #PRAY

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Theyjih: 6:43am On Nov 17, 2012
biofem2000:

Not necessarily. I don`t take passport photos with my glasses on and I have never gotten in trouble with that.
He needs to wear his glasses to his interview though so he could hear the questions. I use glasses and when I don`t have them on, for some reason, my ears don`t work. I think when you wear glasses you hear with your eyes; I don`t know how that works......
ARAMANDA! like seriously BIOFEM? u listen wiv ur eyes? shocked shocked shocked shocked grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 6:48am On Nov 17, 2012
Yvete:

See me see wahala! I don't wish to dig up any dirt, but I feel the need to respond to you. Did I ask you not to attend the community college or imply that your Dad is not rich? FYI: As a smart lady, grin I transferred to a community college for 2 years to "keep extra change in my pocket". The primary reason I stumbled on this thread is because two of my cousins need help.Everything I know, I learned on here. If I know-it-all, I wont encourage Mamacita to read over 300 pages of this thread in its entirety from part 1! Why would I intentionally discourage someone else when I'm praying for the same visa for family? Note: Anything you post online (facebook, twitter, nairaland, youtube...etc) is up for maybe-not-what-you-want-to-hear responses.

Everyone talks about OPT, OPT, OPT. After my undergrad, I didn't even use it because someone told me how to get the H1B directly. If I didn't talk about it, would I know what to do? Swallow your darn pride and learn. Obviously, not from me.

I work in front of a computer from 9-5, and occasional boredom brings me to Nairaland so your success or delay has nothing to do with me. We're not friends and may never see each other so learn NOT to take things personally. Please don't discourage yourself in quest for undue respect.
Abeg e be like say we go gist about the bolded area ooo...how can we pls?...Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 7:10am On Nov 17, 2012
walex57:
Abeg e be like say we go gist about the bolded area ooo...how can we pls?...Thanks

Very funny guy grin You never finish studying 1, 2, 3..... You wan start dey solve (2x3 + 3x2 - x + 16) / (x2 + 2x - 3) grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 7:23am On Nov 17, 2012
imperiouxx:

Very funny guy grin You never finish studying 1, 2, 3..... You wan start dey solve (2x3 + 3x2 - x + 16) / (x2 + 2x - 3) grin grin
Imperiouxx baba...na early preparation oooo....so that i go know wetin dey...na just two semesters i get after this one one ooo.. grin grin grin grin grin....Guys are not smiling in America this time again ooo
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 7:53am On Nov 17, 2012
walex57:
Imperiouxx baba...na early preparation oooo....so that i go know wetin dey...na just two semesters i get after this one one ooo.. grin grin grin grin grin....Guys are not smiling in America this time again ooo

I was planning three semesters stuff before but I guess my research will make me stay the fourth semester in this place. Good luck sha.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by ollyboy1: 9:40am On Nov 17, 2012
@House, has anyone paid Sevis fee lately at Semme Border has anything changed in the process also how many days will one get to print the receipt?

Thanks and have a blast weekend!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 9:56am On Nov 17, 2012
seedord247:

Lmboooi grin

Broo you wont kill mee with lafff...

Yes 23401 is meant for a county in virgina but you oughtt to know thats a state in the US not a country.... And we do have own local zipcode also. But internationaly, 23401 is meant for lagos nigeria. Maybe the image below will closed the argument. grin

Tot we had closed this matter, but just to have the last say. . . . 3rd world countries (aka Nigeria) use international zip code of 00000. . . .

I did this research one day when I put 23401 as usual and the site rejected me. . . I then had to search for the correct one. . . Can't remember the site thou
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 9:57am On Nov 17, 2012
walex57:
No worries bro...how your side?

Omo e gangstar

just submitted an assignment late after doing test, exam n presentation all in 2 days, how urs?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 9:58am On Nov 17, 2012
zerocool:

Nigeria zip code is 234, Lagos is 01. So.. Lagos, Nigeria zipcode is 23401.

Go to NIPOST site, we use postal code not zip code
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 9:59am On Nov 17, 2012
zerocool:

I'm back on this thread after a while off. One of my last few posts on this thread was that, it is relatively easy to get a U.S student visa if you are going for graduate studies i.e Master's Degree.

Congratz!!

So that's why u come and challenge my intellect with ur wrong assumptions abi. . . just kidding grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 10:13am On Nov 17, 2012
Yvete:

See me see wahala! I don't wish to dig up any dirt, but I feel the need to respond to you. Did I ask you not to attend the community college or imply that your Dad is not rich? FYI: As a smart lady, grin I transferred to a community college for 2 years to "keep extra change in my pocket". The primary reason I stumbled on this thread is because two of my cousins need help. Everything I know, I learned on here. If I know-it-all, I wont encourage Mamacita to read over 300 pages of this thread in its entirety from part 1! Why would I intentionally discourage someone else when I'm praying for the same visa for family? Note: Anything you post online (facebook, twitter, nairaland, youtube...etc) is up for maybe-not-what-you-want-to-hear responses.

Now following "Auntie" Yvete, pls follow back. . .

Leave matter for Mathias jor
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 6:21am On Nov 18, 2012
imperiouxx:

I was planning three semesters stuff before but I guess my research will make me stay the fourth semester in this place. Good luck sha.
Thanks Bro...No worries..The Lord is our strength...you be sure man nah...you get mouth! grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 6:22am On Nov 18, 2012
kpolli:

Omo e gangstar

just submitted an assignment late after doing test, exam n presentation all in 2 days, how urs?
My guy it's going on smoothly ooo although them wan kill person God pass them....Wish you all the very best...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by franklynx(m): 9:21am On Nov 18, 2012
jimtosam:

You cant pay in Nigeria. Go to ECO Bank Seme Border or ask some1 here to pay for you. For more info about ECO bank seme border. Type this on you google search boe " paying sevis fee at ECEOBANK semeborder nairaland". Google will take you to the page in this thread part2.

wat documents/info do i need to take along to ECOBANK in SEME to pay for SEVIS Fee..?? pls house reply ASAP..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by seedord247(m): 9:46am On Nov 18, 2012
franklynx:

wat documents/info do i need to take along to ECOBANK in SEME to pay for SEVIS Fee..?? pls house reply ASAP..

Just your passport and photocopy of your i20
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by sagaa: 9:55am On Nov 18, 2012
Dear fellow Nairalanders, der is a part in the DS-160 form which asks "Have you ever been refused a U.S. Visa"? let me xplain my case..
I have once been a victim of circumstance when i applied for F-1 visa wif my Naija "P" which had a resident permit on it cos i was living in GHANA then in 2003(but now expired and now changed to an e- passport 2012) for my undergrad studies @the US embassy in GHANA(Accra) and was involved in/accused of presenting a forged WAEC result/certificate...hence i was denied. So,i came bak 2 naija in 2004,had my BSc in one of the UNIVERSITIES,graduated 2008,served NYSC,have 3yrs working exp.in d oil and gas sector,and i hv just been issued my I-20 for MSc. for d Spring semester 2013. Of cuz i nw have a new E-passport and nw bak to d main Question-"Have you ever been refused a U.S. Visa"? pls house wat wud be my response to the bolded question above? shud i say 'NO' cos i had my interview in GHANA in 2003 and dat the passport is nw expired and changed to an e-Passport or tell the truth(YES)and explain on the interview day when asked by presenting the Original WAEC Certificate ..and even if i want to tell the truth, do i need to explain all that transpired on the space provided in the DS-160 form.. I wud be having my interview in LAGOS nxt month..i took d GRE,TOEFL,good statement of account.. etc. I am worried it might have an effect on the outcome of my visa interview nxt month.. i donno.. pls reply ASAP ..housemates..
N.B- I took the Biometrics(finger-print)then at the US Embassy in GHANA 2003.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by sagaa: 10:01am On Nov 18, 2012
seedord247:

just those 2 things..??
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by franklynx(m): 10:03am On Nov 18, 2012
seedord247:

thanks a million..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by sagaa: 10:27am On Nov 18, 2012
sagaa: Dear fellow Nairalanders, der is a part in the DS-160 form which asks "Have you ever been refused a U.S. Visa"? let me xplain my case..
I have once been a victim of circumstance when i applied for F-1 visa wif my Naija "P" which had a resident permit on it cos i was living in GHANA then in 2003(but now expired and now changed to an e- passport 2012) for my undergrad studies @the US embassy in GHANA(Accra) and was involved in/accused of presenting a forged WAEC result/certificate...hence i was denied. So,i came bak 2 naija in 2004,had my BSc in one of the UNIVERSITIES,graduated 2008,served NYSC,have 3yrs working exp.in d oil and gas sector,and i hv just been issued my I-20 for MSc. for d Spring semester 2013. Of cuz i nw have a new E-passport and nw bak to d main Question-"Have you ever been refused a U.S. Visa"? pls house wat wud be my response to the bolded question above? shud i say 'NO' cos i had my interview in GHANA in 2003 and dat the passport is nw expired and changed to an e-Passport or tell the truth(YES)and explain on the interview day when asked by presenting the Original WAEC Certificate ..and even if i want to tell the truth, do i need to explain all that transpired on the space provided in the DS-160 form.. I wud be having my interview in LAGOS nxt month..i took d GRE,TOEFL,good statement of account.. etc. I am worried it might have an effect on the outcome of my visa interview nxt month.. i donno.. pls reply ASAP ..housemates..

make una help me ansa dis question naaa..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by dnpasion(m): 10:55am On Nov 18, 2012
Well I will suggest you answer yes and explain that you presented your waec statement of result (if that was what you took along with you in 2003) but the vo wasn't convince enough because you didn't present the original cert. Just a thought.
sagaa:

make una help me ansa dis question naaa..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by franklynx(m): 11:54am On Nov 18, 2012
kk.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by sbeauty1(f): 11:58am On Nov 18, 2012
sagaa: Dear fellow Nairalanders, der is a part in the DS-160 form which asks "Have you ever been refused a U.S. Visa"? let me xplain my case..

In my own opinion, just tell the truth, on the ds-160..YES! and explain briefly by probably saying u weren't well composed or prepared that's why u were denied cz ur profile is with them, whether its was in Ghana or sierra lone ..lol!..
.and if u happen to b asked on d interview day(in some cases they don't)
I advice don't bring up d issue of saying u were denied cz of FAKE waec certificate..u could just say d same thing , dt u were not well prepared or sthg quite reasonable .. So u don't dig an already healed wound...
Any other person can speak thr opinion , would b helpful for him..
*peace out*
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by sagaa: 11:58am On Nov 18, 2012
dnpasion: Well I will suggest you answer yes and explain that you presented your waec statement of result (if that was what you took along with you in 2003) but the vo wasn't convince enough because you didn't present the original cert. Just a thought.

thanks bruva.. i need more suggestions abt this issue from the house..plssss
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by sagaa: 12:13pm On Nov 18, 2012
s-beauty :

In my own opinion, just tell the truth, on the ds-160..YES! and explain briefly by probably saying u weren't well composed or prepared that's why u were denied cz ur profile is with them, whether its was in Ghana or sierra lone ..lol!..
.and if u happen to b asked on d interview day(in some cases they don't)
I advice don't bring up d issue of saying u were denied cz of FAKE waec certificate..u could just say d same thing , dt u were not well prepared or sthg quite reasonable .. So u don't dig an already healed wound...
Any other person can speak thr opinion , would b helpful for him..
*peace out*

thanks sista... Houz!!!! more contributions plss..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 12:26pm On Nov 18, 2012
sagaa:

thanks sista... Houz!!!! more contributions plss..

what?

(1) (2) (3) ... (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) ... (273)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 9

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.