Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,365 members, 7,950,760 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 09:26 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 - Travel (166) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 (312115 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) ... (273) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 6:33pm On Dec 23, 2012
imperiouxx:

Now I can come in. Achievement can't be accomplished. I worked in research in Nigeria, got to school to discovered all I know were few. Updating and upgrading myself now. I'm not where I was in Nigeria in the field and after this I continue going as God wants.
Sequence of life in studying: Pry cert --> O'Level --> BS/HND --> MS --> PhD --> Post Doc --> Prof --> continue studying --> Death
you wan become prof ni...abeg no let your already hot head catch fire ooo...i can see why the -3 degrees no affect you...lol
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by makaveli16(m): 9:27pm On Dec 23, 2012
Pls house, I need suggestions on how to resolve this impasse. My I-20 (which should have been delivered on the 18th of december) has been stuck in fedex's facility in POYLE GB (Great britain) since 15th of december. I mailed eshipglobal and they were like it was due to customs delay. Pls, has anyone on this gone through this same predicament? How long does it take for the imbroglio to be resolved? My school resumes on the 15th of January. Thanks

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 10:48pm On Dec 23, 2012
walex57:
you wan become prof ni...abeg no let your already hot head catch fire ooo...i can see why the -3 degrees no affect you...lol

Nope. Post Doc might be the end point by
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 11:16pm On Dec 23, 2012
makaveli16: Pls house, I need suggestions on how to resolve this impasse. My I-20 (which should have been delivered on the 18th of december) has been stuck in fedex's facility in POYLE GB (Great britain) since 15th of december. I mailed eshipglobal and they were like it was due to customs delay. Pls, has anyone on this gone through this same predicament? How long does it take for the imbroglio to be resolved? My school resumes on the 15th of January. Thanks
Don't worry about it, your I-20 will come down to you, when are you to resume school? i think i depends on that but i think you should just relax and the owrst case scenario is that you'll mail your school telling them to send another as you couldn't get this and explain to them...but i think you should be patient...and bro this ya english na waa ooo...u sure say u no be PhD holder already?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 12:17am On Dec 24, 2012
walex57:
Don't worry about it, your I-20 will come down to you, when are you to resume school? i think i depends on that but i think you should just relax and the owrst case scenario is that you'll mail your school telling them to send another as you couldn't get this and explain to them...but i think you should be patient...and bro this ya english na waa ooo...u sure say u no be PhD holder already?

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 2:39am On Dec 24, 2012
imperiouxx:

Nope. Post Doc might be the end point by
Really? Why? If you take the stress to do PhD and Postdoc, na research track be that o.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 3:06am On Dec 24, 2012
walex57: ..abeg come to Cali ooo make you come give us a dose of that smiling beauty ... wink wink wink
imperiouxx: Why your school no dey NM sef, make we ....Oops!

imperiouxx: It's good now, only low in the day and few negative at night. That how it should be in a house occupied by two opposite s e x This is when Americans know caring hubby and the one that won't sleep out.

HAHAA ... This is so funny! You guys are crazy cheesy cheesy

Imperiouxx: Its like you don't watch Judge Joe Brown, Judge Judy and Divorce Court. cheesy cheesy Some people could cheat during the day and act as saints at nights. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed shocked shocked
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 3:56am On Dec 24, 2012
Yvete:

Imperiouxx: Its like you don't watch Judge Joe Brown, Judge Judy and Divorce Court. cheesy cheesy Some people could cheat during the day and act as saints at nights. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed shocked shocked

It was all slip of the fingers! You know me.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 4:18am On Dec 24, 2012
Yvete:

Hmmm...Judge Judy, that judge wey fit abuse anybody?...i wonder how her husband dey take cope...lol...see ooo na loneliness cause am ooo.. grin grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 4:21am On Dec 24, 2012
imperiouxx:

It was all slip of the fingers! You know me.
Hmmmm...are you sure?...i smell some imbroglio and euphemistic mischievous metaphor right there...abeg prof makavelli...i dey correct sir?

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by walex57(m): 5:55am On Dec 24, 2012
Ok here was how my interview went,I'm bringing this up again to assist anyone who may be confused on how to answer some questions...please do no plagiarize my answers ooo...just to help you
My stats: no GRE, Toefl score 103, graduated with 2.2 (weak one for that matter), virgin passport, never travelled out in ma life, first time ever at any embassy..

ME: good morning (fake smile)
VO: good morning (faking smile it as well) , pass me your documents
VO: (typing and checking some tins for a while) hummm....so what school are you going to and course?
ME: California State University Sacramento, Mechanical Engineering
VO: why this school?
ME: this was the school that offered me admission in the area of my interests amongst all other schools i applied to and owning to the fact that they have good facilities as well as a good research environment but majorly because i was offered admission there...
VO: so what benefits do your course have in Nigeria
MEsadlisted some manufacturing companies in Nigeria) and said with the developing economy of my country, need for expertise and professionalism is highly needed in the area of manufacturing to help economic development
VO: hummm....so what other schools did u apply to?
ME: London school of commerce UK and the national power training institute of Nigeria.
VO: so did u get admissions there also?
ME: yes at both schools
VO: so why didn't you go to the UK, do they not offer specialization in manufacturing there, also the UK has equal educational standards as the US?
ME: the school in the UK offered me masters in information technology and the one here in Nigeria offered me a graduate skills program in the power sector here so i chose the USA because manufacturing was also what i specialized in during my undergraduate studies.
VO: so what school did you graduate from?
ME:the university of Ilorin
VO: so what have you been doing since you left school?
ME: i went for my NYSC and then started work at a civil/mechanical engineering company
VO: so how much was your salary, do u have payslips (me wey no dey earn shishi wey still dey hunt for job)?
ME: i wasn't collecting salary as i was there to gain experience pending when admission into any or all of the schools i applied to pulled through.
VO: so what were your functions at your place of work
ME: I was involved in repair and maintenance of earth moving equipment and generators but majorly earth moving equipment and we also consultants to other companies by maintaining their machines and moreover the company is owned by my dad
VO: oh...so your dad will be paying for your tuition and living expenses?
ME: no....my mum
VO: (surprised look) oh!...your mum....what does your mum do?
ME: she's a legal practitioner and property consultant(added the property thing oo...my mama na only lawyer oo)
VO: so does your mum have personal property?
ME: yeah (biggest true lie I've ever told)...and we also have family property.
VO: (wrote something like a small code on my ds-160, brought out a white paper (at this stage I don dey fear say that na the dreaded denial paper but suddenly he tore d green ticket for me and also gave me the white paper(the white paper turned out to be the document collection form) and said your visa will be ready on Friday...blah blah blah (at this stage i was no longer listening to him my head swell like puff puff and goose bumps just appear for all my body...i was still trying to think if i just made it or not...lol)
Me: Thank you!(dunno if i said this but let's just say I did)

note: try to demonstrate while talking, it shows sign of confidence, i wasn't even asked to show a single document or bank statement or even the TOEFL or GRE scores(or asked anything on whether I took a standardized test or not)...It was God...Please always Pray...never leave the God-factor out!

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Nobody: 6:15am On Dec 24, 2012
^^^^^Choi..them grill you ooo.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by makaveli16(m): 6:50am On Dec 24, 2012
walex57:

Thanks for your response bro. You are appreciated. Ph.d? Lol. Can see we are both aligned on the same career path (Mechanical Engineering), keep the flag hoisted. Just hope the Prince of Fedex would allow my package to be delivered with post-haste.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by AndreOgara(m): 8:33am On Dec 24, 2012
Hello House, I have been reading all your posts and it has indeed been resourceful. I'm scheduled for the 2nd of January at Lagos. I'm due to leave for Chicago to study Information Technology at the Illinois Institute of Technology by January 14 latest. I have pretty much everything paper I need right now. I have GRE, my dad will be sponsoring me. I also have reason to believe that the school is one of the top rated in U.S because someone at the GRE testing centre in Lagos told me that it would be difficult to get admitted there but God did it and I was admitted. I need your prayers and any extra tip you may have for me. I have heard stories where they turn people down for no apparent reason and I pray it won't be my portion. What else do I have to keep in mind before the D Day? Thanks for input in advance....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by kpolli(m): 8:58am On Dec 24, 2012
Andre Ogara: Hello House, I have been reading all your posts and it has indeed been resourceful. I'm scheduled for the 2nd of January at Lagos. I'm due to leave for Chicago to study Information Technology at the Illinois Institute of Technology by January 14 latest. I have pretty much everything paper I need right now. I have GRE, my dad will be sponsoring me. I also have reason to believe that the school is one of the top rated in U.S because someone at the GRE testing centre in Lagos told me that it would be difficult to get admitted there but God did it and I was admitted. I need your prayers and any extra tip you may have for me. I have heard stories where they turn people down for no apparent reason and I pray it won't be my portion. What else do I have to keep in mind before the D Day? Thanks for input in advance....

It is indeed one of the top rated schools, be confident. . . I hope u've read this thread well. . . . Go forth, the Lord is with you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by stanogb(m): 9:10am On Dec 24, 2012
wonderful people, i've benefited a lot from you guys...thank you all...i will be going for fall 2013, MSC @ CUNY...so am online fulltime now...pls i would like to know if its a must to send my transcripts to WES for evaluation cos i just want to send it to the school directly... shocked shocked shocked
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bigfrancis21: 11:30am On Dec 24, 2012
stan-ogb:
wonderful people, i've benefited a lot from you guys...thank you all...i will be going for fall 2013, MSC @ CUNY...so am online fulltime now...pls i would like to know if its a must to send my transcripts to WES for evaluation cos i just want to send it to the school directly... shocked shocked shocked
You only send your transcripts †o WES if asked to do so by the school. If the school doesn't say so, you send †o the address listed on the school's website. Not all US schools require WES/outside translations. These schools that don't require WES/outside translations do the translations on their own there in the school. All the 3 US schools I applied to don't require WES translations, they translate on their own. I sent my transcripts directly to them. Just follow the application instructions listed out on the website.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Seunbunmi(m): 2:43pm On Dec 24, 2012
lol....the problem is LIKELY

1) You used month as day. US style men MM/DD/YYYY
2) You've changed the MM and DD while the YYYY is still in 2012.

Try again, you should be good.

@imperiouxx okay boss, i think i will wait till when i get to the school
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Seunbunmi(m): 2:55pm On Dec 24, 2012
[/quote][quote author=walex57]
my bro wait till you resume school before buying your insurance package...some schools can be really picky so i'll advise you get the insurance package offered by your school

Tanx mehn i tink that's what am going to do.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by shoggie(m): 4:03pm On Dec 24, 2012
Hello house! I want to wish everybody merry Xmas & Prosperous New Year in advance.
I have reason to appreciate the undaunting, painstaking efforts of all
members who have been prolific in attending to novice like us who is learning
everyday through posts from honourable members in the house.
I have learnt & still learning to emulate you all.
Special thanks to Yvete, Jimtosam, Nairaspace,Mr. Chris, Baba Imperiouxx! I salute you all!
Innumerable rewards from above this season to you all.
You all remind me how wonderful like could be if we continue to help one another.
What a wonderful opportunity to have learn so much in just one month from this Blog!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by shoggie(m): 4:11pm On Dec 24, 2012
Andre Ogara: Hello House, I have been reading all your posts and it has indeed been resourceful. I'm scheduled for the 2nd of January at Lagos. I'm due to leave for Chicago to study Information Technology at the Illinois Institute of Technology by January 14 latest. I have pretty much everything paper I need right now. I have GRE, my dad will be sponsoring me. I also have reason to believe that the school is one of the top rated in U.S because someone at the GRE testing centre in Lagos told me that it would be difficult to get admitted there but God did it and I was admitted. I need your prayers and any extra tip you may have for me. I have heard stories where they turn people down for no apparent reason and I pray it won't be my portion. What else do I have to keep in mind before the D Day? Thanks for input in advance....
@Andre Ogara, so we are going to the same school.Unbelievable! oh my Nairalanders how wonderful you are.
Inbox me please we need to talk & plan well in advance.
shoggie2001 at yahoo dot com.
Waiting!!!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 5:16pm On Dec 24, 2012
Seunbunmi:

@imperiouxx okay boss, i think i will wait till when i get to the school

Yea, that should be good. You can as well ask about insurance from them right from Nigeria.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by ronald2g1(m): 6:13pm On Dec 24, 2012
@andreogara n shoggie.. To me I blve u guys r alreadi wiv ur visas, I ain no angel buh 2013 won't start wiv negative stories on this thread insha Allah, u will surely comebck n tell me I said it. I'm gon b in chicago on the 12th of january for a day or so n I pry I see u guys alredi preparin for classes! .... @ all the wonderful , compassionate and humanitarians on this thread I'm a muslim buh I wish u all a splendid celebration ahead and insha Allah, n to those waitin u all will join me nextyr in yankee celebrayin salah too. Its been a lovely year cos I remember vividly when I start this prcosessin by writing my gre in april and today I claimed ths years blessings and motive because God wntd it and I workd for it. So pls dnt let us stop wishin for more good thins, stop helpin pple, stop thankin God and stop askin for forgiveness and most of all for us abroad and goin, don't ever forget the lovely pple u left @home! Material things r ephemeral buh the human love is not, so remember them so dey will alwys pray for u also excell abroad!!! That's ma gift to u lovely pple

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 6:38pm On Dec 24, 2012
Seunbunmi: Heloo my ogas @Imperiouxx and @Yvete
Am trying to buy the insurance package at the website u guyz gave me, but is telling me i have to start the coverage plan with today's date still when i want it to expire,my question is should i wait till when i get to US before buying it or i should go ahead and buy it? pls what is ur advise?

Culled from Murray State for F-1 students

Make the purchase on arrival

F-1 students are required to obtain health insurance for themselves after they arrive, OR provide proof of health insurance purchased before/after their arrival. If you fail to show proof of health insurance or to purchase insurance after your arrival, your name will be purged from enrollment records at the university. This means you will not be allowed to attend classes. IIS provides information on general health insurance plans for international students, or you may provide proof of insurance from another source. The opportunity to purchase insurance here will be provided during orientation.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Yvete(f): 6:44pm On Dec 24, 2012
@ Imperiouxx, my brothers tried to buy insurance at their schools and this is what they got. Some schools are MEAN!

Insurance Requirements are as Follows for international students and J-1 Exchange Visitors:
An annual individual deductible of no more than $500.
At least $50,000 in medical benefits per accident or illness
At least $10,000 for medical evacuation
At least $7,500 for repatriation
Individual policies and plans offered online to individuals will not be accepted shocked shocked as an alternate health insurance policy. Waiver request submitted with private insurance policies will not be accepted.

Hmnn...It's important to verify from the school before any private insurance arrangement.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by imperiouxx(m): 6:46pm On Dec 24, 2012
Yvete: @ Imperiouxx, my brothers tried to buy insurance at their schools and this is what they got. Some schools are MEAN!

Insurance Requirements are as Follows for international students and J-1 Exchange Visitors:
An annual individual deductible of no more than $500.
At least $50,000 in medical benefits per accident or illness
At least $10,000 for medical evacuation
At least $7,500 for repatriation
Individual policies and plans offered online to individuals will not be accepted shocked shocked as an alternate health insurance policy. Waiver request submitted with private insurance policies will not be accepted.

Hmnn...It's important to verify from the school before any private insurance arrangement.

Yea, some schools have collaboration with some insurance companies. I'm not surprise. Schools like mine tell you to just provide your insurance ID.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Seunbunmi(m): 7:14pm On Dec 24, 2012
imperiouxx:

Yea, that should be good. You can as well ask about insurance from them right from Nigeria.

Okay I will, tanx
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by bukahands(m): 7:16pm On Dec 24, 2012
Guys I think I messed up I was thínking dat texas austin application is open until march next year for fall admission cos my attention was diverted to canadian schools anyway can any1 suggest any good reputable school that still has application open for fall next year or at least january 2014. Please not a very competitive school o but good cos ma gp is 3.52 out of 5 and transcript in ma school cost 35k/piece so I can't apply to many schools as planned earlier (after ma Nysc ending In July next year I don't wanna wait

Also I am taking d GRE in january next year am studying with Baron 2012 hard copy any tips

Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Seunbunmi(m): 7:17pm On Dec 24, 2012
Yvete:

Culled from Murray State for F-1 students

Make the purchase on arrival

F-1 students are required to obtain health insurance for themselves after they arrive, OR provide proof of health insurance purchased before/after their arrival. If you fail to show proof of health insurance or to purchase insurance after your arrival, your name will be purged from enrollment records at the university. This means you will not be allowed to attend classes. IIS provides information on general health insurance plans for international students, or you may provide proof of insurance from an.

Tanx, my honourable minister of information u r d best! I will do jst that.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by Snazzygirl: 7:39pm On Dec 24, 2012
Merry Christmas House.

@Yvete,pls I really need ur help with dis.... Do u knw San Jacinto collge? Any thots on San Jacinto VS Houston Community Coll? Wc one takes better care of F-1 studnts? No sensible info online ...Thnks dear.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by stanogb(m): 8:29pm On Dec 24, 2012
bigfrancis21:
You only send your transcripts †o WES if asked to do so by the school. If the school doesn't say so, you send †o the address listed on the school's website. Not all US schools require WES/outside translations. These schools that don't require WES/outside translations do the translations on their own there in the school. All the 3 US schools I applied to don't require WES translations, they translate on their own. I sent my transcripts directly to them. Just follow the application instructions listed out on the website.
thanks...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part3 by winbyforce: 8:33pm On Dec 24, 2012
Merry Christmas y'all on this wonderful and helpful thread. Imperiouxx,how far with the south florida guy? need some tips just in case. tanx

(1) (2) (3) ... (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) ... (273)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered / My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.