Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,803 members, 7,889,622 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 04:47 PM

Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture (32140 Views)

Diary Of An Ibadan Hustler In Lagos / Which Of These European Countries Is Good To Live In As Hustler/jjc / Null (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by chucky234(m): 6:11pm On Jul 19, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Are you sure of this?
Banks will not let Nigerians clean their offices
Stores wont allow Nigerian clean their stores, and i am sure we all know why.
And most of them too would rather do something else cos they want "FAST" money
Fhemmmy you got ribs cracking...
They see every Nigerian as a possible fraudster/criminal which makes it difficult for naija guys being employed.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Siga: 6:14pm On Jul 19, 2012
ebamma: a cleaner in the uk earns an estimate of 40,000 pounds to 70,000 pounds a year,which in naira is between 10 million to 17.5 million naira.many bankers in Nigeria dont earn upto that.
.............Yeeeeeeeppppppppppppaaaaaaaaaaaa.....Bros....u lie no be small....wat the hell....this ur figure is beyond lie.....Aboki...stop that grin

2 Likes

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Olaone1: 6:16pm On Jul 19, 2012
A load of old tosh.

You hardly find Nigerians in this job abroad.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Siga: 6:16pm On Jul 19, 2012
ebamma: a cleaner in the uk who may earn atleast 10,000 pounds a year,which is about 2.5 million naira,is still earning more than some bankers in nigeria.
....Now we are talkin.....u cut am down....this pay sounds reasonable...lol grin
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by vinibabe: 6:18pm On Jul 19, 2012
[quote author=IbnTimothy]

The pepper is more so are the bills

The truth is most Nigerians out here are simply hooked. They are not returning home because of the people's expectations....shame de catch them

ok see bills here for person wey de manage;
1. A decent 2bedroom flats cost averagely about £750/month (just multiply by 250 to convert to naira)
2. Plus council tax £100/month (band B) ..... this na after them don commot income tax and NI for your small pay o
3. Electricity+Gas bill £60 (with managing usage)
4. You cant leave your child at home, so to leave your child with child minder £30/day/child
5. Bus ticket £55/month. If you mistake drive a low cost car £200/month in road tax+insurance+fuel+etc (By the way petrol here is about £1.3/litre)
6. Phone bills £25
7. Internet and line rentals £20
7. Even church offering na in £ ....lol.... and the smallest note na £5
..... pikin de papa house de contribute to bills and rent

If you de 9ja de earn anything more than N50k/month ..... I won't advise you to leave your work for a N300k job in UK cos na the same thing..... cold no go let you leave under bridge

The only advantage for UK here na;
1. No Boko haram
2. Plane no de fall ontop house
3. Light and water dey ..... but you ma no go fit on am (for fear of bills)
4. No body go chop your money, but you no go fit chop anybody money too
5. The prime minister appear confident at least
6. You no go hear car horn
7. No Owambe we go block road
8. Them fit rob you if you waka for mid night very rare
9. You no go de hear english like 'parastatal'
10. Free health for your family and free school for your pikin
etc etc
All those things wey we de bring come pose na for charity shop (bend down select) and sales we buy them
...this is truth from my church mind o

I know Dr wey sell him hospital and everything only to come here de do care work (to dey bath them old mama them) ....im no be as my guy plan am .....no be say the work bad, just that he was doing better for 9ja

Gone are those days when the Wasiu go come abroad come de take am sing.....chai!!! those guys don deceive us ....LWKMD

oya come now .....
Thank you abeg for saying it pop and plain
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Godogwu: 6:19pm On Jul 19, 2012
Deji Adeoy: Una dey mad, money in europe has more value and can get u a lot of things unlike here in naija the little money u earn, u buy petrol to ur generator which is not like that in europe, food is expensive, rent is expensive, life is hard here in naija unlike in europe if u earn little u still enjoy the value of ur money, naija we still have a long way to go.

You just proved that you have no idea what your saying, do you think the electric is free anywhere in Europe?, do you know what you pay as an electric bill in naija is chicken change to what people pay for electricity for a month in the UK or US ? As a cleaner in the US lets assume you earn $800 a month ( you'll think that's a lot). First of all you pay your rent of about $500 ( you have 300 left) you pay an electric bill of like $100, then water bill of $90,(you have 110 left) you still have to pay for gas off about $50, then you'd budget at least $50 for a cell phone bill every month...... I have not even started talking about food or any other luxury and the whole salary is way spent. So my brother you have no idea what your saying, the cost of living in Nigeria is way cheaper than that of Europe.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Kk4(m): 6:19pm On Jul 19, 2012
Fhemmmy: Nice pix/drawing . .
I notice only the art too..
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Godogwu: 6:21pm On Jul 19, 2012
ebamma: a cleaner in the uk earns an estimate of 40,000 pounds to 70,000 pounds a year,which in naira is between 10 million to 17.5 million naira.many bankers in Nigeria dont earn upto that.

BLOODY LIE!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Kk4(m): 6:22pm On Jul 19, 2012
pembisco: Lets nt 4get dt when d oyibo contry ws 50yrs old,tins wer nt as it is now,so lets apreciate our naija 4 1s pls,jst 2yrs ago,salaries of civil servants improved a little,dts wt am talkin abt,is jst a mata of tym
Civilization was not these advanced
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by swiftycool(m): 6:24pm On Jul 19, 2012
Godogwu:

Please in which abroad can a cleaner afford a three bedrooms en after ten years, who even told you it's easy for them to save? Is virtually impossible even if that person has two to three cleaning jobs......and there are many factors that come to play in the kind of three bedroom that cleaner is affording.....probably one in some ghetto area where they'd be paying 300-600 dollars a month if they can even afford it...

Not true, my landlord in the Uk was a fulltime day cleaner at Shell and a weekend cleaner at Aberdeen airport and he owned one 2bedroom flat in middlefield and another 2bedroom flat in Torry where he and his wife a city mall cleaner lived with their baby
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by skyp(m): 6:27pm On Jul 19, 2012
any thread concerning abroad is always running very fast. A re u guys
trying to say that there are more chances of making it in Nigeria than
Europe or America?

1 Like

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by chucky234(m): 6:28pm On Jul 19, 2012
IbnTimothy:

The pepper is more so are the bills

The truth is most Nigerians out here are simply hooked. They are not returning home because of the people's expectations....shame de catch them

ok see bills here for person wey de manage;
1. A decent 2bedroom flats cost averagely about £750/month (just multiply by 250 to convert to naira)
2. Plus council tax £100/month (band B) ..... this na after them don commot income tax and NI for your small pay o
3. Electricity+Gas bill £60 (with managing usage)
4. You cant leave your child at home, so to leave your child with child minder £30/day/child
5. Bus ticket £55/month. If you mistake drive a low cost car £200/month in road tax+insurance+fuel+etc (By the way petrol here is about £1.3/litre)
6. Phone bills £25
7. Internet and line rentals £20
7. Even church offering na in £ ....lol.... and the smallest note na £5
..... pikin de papa house de contribute to bills and rent

If you de 9ja de earn anything more than N50k/month ..... I won't advise you to leave your work for a N300k job in UK cos na the same thing..... cold no go let you leave under bridge

The only advantage for UK here na;
1. No Boko haram
2. Plane no de fall ontop house
3. Light and water dey ..... but you ma no go fit on am (for fear of bills)
4. No body go chop your money, but you no go fit chop anybody money too
5. The prime minister appear confident at least
6. You no go hear car horn
7. No Owambe we go block road
8. Them fit rob you if you waka for mid night very rare
9. You no go de hear english like 'parastatal'
10. Free health for your family and free school for your pikin
etc etc
All those things wey we de bring come pose na for charity shop (bend down select) and sales we buy them
...this is truth from my church mind o

I know Dr wey sell him hospital and everything only to come here de do care work (to dey bath them old mama them) ....im no be as my guy plan am .....no be say the work bad, just that he was doing better for 9ja

Gone are those days when the Wasiu go come abroad come de take am sing.....chai!!! those guys don deceive us ....LWKMD

oya come now .....
Guy e be like say na to join you for UK O! Atleast free school,no Boko Haram and I go still dey see some bend down select for charity shop no wahala.

Seriously if we are to succeed in this country opportunities are abound everywhere,we just need to identify them and act.
Anything you sell in Nigeria will generate funds and there are many businesses you can start with as low as 30k with good returns,people need to be creative.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Olaone1: 6:37pm On Jul 19, 2012
Another lie.

Most Nigerians don't buy from charity shops, esp. boys. It is not a Nigerian thing. They still look trendy there.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by swiftycool(m): 6:39pm On Jul 19, 2012
chucky234: Guy e be like say na to join you for UK O! Atleast free school,no Boko Haram and I go still dey see some bend down select for charity shop no wahala.

Seriously if we are to succeed in this country opportunities are abound everywhere,we just need to identify them and act.
Anything you sell in Nigeria will generate funds and there are many businesses you can start with as low as 30k with good returns,people need to be creative.
Oh u just made my day, very true. Seun where is the "love" button
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by cheikh: 6:44pm On Jul 19, 2012
AjanleKoko
The one thing that disturbs me the most about Nigerians is very simple: We as a people[b] don't believe that we can make it via hard, unglamorous work[/b]. For us, it's always going to be a lottery, so we spend all our time and energy playing it. Even in school, Nigerians pass exams but rarely learn anything of value.

@^^ It's so because of our "colonial" history where every "big" man around, never seem to be very "actively" engaged but driving around in "smoky" vehicles grin. Besides, our early educational institutions did not lay emphasis on "practical(s)" education but on "classics" hence the multitudes of "lawyers" etc in our environment instead of practical vocations appropriate for development/survival. It is no wonder that Nigeria lacks artisans compared to our smaller, less endowed neighbours(countries)- good quality tailors, brick layers,tilers, trained mechanics et al. Our current educational system is sincerely not fit for purpose and have not exactly contributed much to national development. There is a "snob" attribute to university "academic" qualification/certificate to serious "hard" practical/functional training/qualification. Everyone wants to go to university and of course our government is indulging us by building more "glorified" universities of questionable quality. I hope we'll have a change of heart.

1 Like

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by emsquare(m): 6:52pm On Jul 19, 2012
afam4eva:
That's Nigerias for you. people do what they can't do in their country in other countries because they see the white man as a superior being.

Hmmmm!!!
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jul 19, 2012
afam4eva: I agree that it might be because of the pay for some people but not for anyone. For some people, no matter the pay that they're offered, they won't do any menial job in Nigeria but they will do it abroad.

can u now see the reason why i call my 91k pay packet staggering? in an economy like this, u have to appreciate my kind. just an advise son. hisses
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by cap28: 7:03pm On Jul 19, 2012
!What planet r u on? A cleaner earning £4o,ooo ! Even the queens cleaners r on minimum wage of £6 an hour
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Olalekan0(m): 7:08pm On Jul 19, 2012
cleanres earn £40,000 a year?are you high? Even doctors don't earn that much!
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Fhemmmy: 7:09pm On Jul 19, 2012
chucky234: Fhemmmy you got ribs cracking...
They see every Nigerian as a possible fraudster/criminal which makes it difficult for naija guys being employed.

Yes oh, my brother, and it is so sad.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Olalekan0(m): 7:13pm On Jul 19, 2012
Godogwu:

You just proved that you have no idea what your saying, do you think the electric is free anywhere in Europe?, do you know what you pay as an electric bill in naija is chicken change to what people pay for electricity for a month in the UK or US ? As a cleaner in the US lets assume you earn $800 a month ( you'll think that's a lot). First of all you pay your rent of about $500 ( you have 300 left) you pay an electric bill of like $100, then water bill of $90,(you have 110 left) you still have to pay for gas off about $50, then you'd budget at least $50 for a cell phone bill every month...... I have not even started talking about food or any other luxury and the whole salary is way spent. So my brother you have no idea what your saying, the cost of living in Nigeria is way cheaper than that of Europe.
stop typing crap,no one earns as little as $800 a month abroad!
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Fhemmmy: 7:16pm On Jul 19, 2012
Godogwu:

If you are making 800$$ a month and you are paying all those kinda bills, then, you are surely doing more than you can afford.
With such pay, you could get a shared apartment where you wont have to pay that much for gas, and water and the rest of the bills, or get something that is inclusive . . . Also, if you have a job and all you are making in a month is 800$ a month, then, that MUST be a lazy dude that might ave to find another job to make 2 jobs, or be educated for something better . . . .
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by ebogentle(m): 7:16pm On Jul 19, 2012
Different strokes for different folks.
Cost of living is low in Nigeria and high in UK. True
Standard of living is low in Nigeria and high in UK.
I hope the distinction can be made between "cost of living" and "standard of living"
Ok So u earn 1 million naira monthly in Nigeria.
1. SECURITY:You have to provide your own security. You probably live in a heavily secured estate or have a very high fence with barbed wire around your house.
2. POWER: You provide your own electricity. In addition to regularly paying heavily for fuel to guarantee your 24-7 power, you also have to live with the noise of the generator.
3. WATER: You have to provide your own water. Probably dig a borehole and mount a pump. Even then, you most likely will only use that for household stuff. You would buy bottled water for you and your family to drink.
4. BASIC EDUCATION: If you want an even average education for your kids, then you have to consider private schools only. And they dont come cheap at all.
5. TRANSPORTATION: Yeah you drive a car. The driving experience is not necessarily something you look forward to. And that includes even when you have got your own chauffeur. Pot holes, bumps, rugged terrain, totally pointless and needless hold-ups. And if you prefer to go for commercial transport, prepare for even more drama.

Now lets see the guy who is earning far far less than you in the UK. In fact lets go minimum wage outside london. So he earns roughly 1000 pounds a month. OK maybe he does not own his own flat and so he shares with someone else. Big deal.

1. SECURITY: As a matter of fact he could live anywhere he (most neighborhoods) without worry. he could be on the street at any time of the night. He could even leave his door open (by mistake) and there's little chance of him being mugged or robbed. No need for fencing and barbed wires. No need for a gate minder.

2. POWER: So his bill 100 pounds monthly. or 50 pounds if he shares it. But he does not have to worry about any ambient noise simply because he needs electric power. Also he does not need to anticipate the absence of that power. Except he hasnt been paying his bills.

3: WATER: All he has to do is turn on the tap. Hot or cold all he has to do is wait a few seconds.And it's drinkable too. ofcourse its not free. he has to pay for it. But he does not need a borehole and a pump or the need to purify his own water for drinking.

4. BASIC EDUCATION: Does not cost him a penny. His children go to a government school. Education is definitely not below average even by Nigerian private school standard.

5: TRANSPORTATION: If he does not own a car, he does not miss out on anything. Not even self esteem. There is a functional public transport system including subways/undergrounds, trams/metros, buses/coaches, etc. If he drives, he could do so even in midnight without worry of pot holes. Ok maybe some speed bumps but they are there for his and others' safety. If he encounters a hold-up, its a necessity and it will get cleared up as soon as practicable. ofcourse he has to worry about road tax, car insurance, annual MOT test and stuff.

This is not an exhaustive comparison, and this not an attempt at bashing Nigeria or playing up UK (though it would appear so). This is just an attempt to insert intangibles and make the point that sometimes they are not quantifiable. Some people may only care about cost of living and thats fine. However, others may be more concerned with standard of living. The irony is that you could earn (Nigeria)5 times what you earn in UK and yet your standard of living (based on some of the intangibles i mentioned) will still not be comparable to that in UK.

I know a certain fellow who as an undergrad in Nigeria, worked as a labourer in the local construction industry during the regular ASUU strikes. Although he went to a remote area where no one knew him in order to do that.I can understand why he went far away for that. Our society prioritizes the wrong things. We tend to denigrate and disrespect people in menial jobs. We dont appreciate the dignity in labour. How can being in a part-time job while studying be a bad thing. Or a thing not to be proud of. I dont get it. We need re-orientation.Our value system is weird.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Fhemmmy: 7:17pm On Jul 19, 2012
Olalekan 0: stop typing crap,no one earns as little as $800 a month abroad!

Dont be too sure, how much do you think a part time employee takes home in a month . . . all depends on what kinda job, how many hours and what kinda deduction . . . .

2 Likes

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jul 19, 2012
Gotta do what you gotta do.

1 Like

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Godogwu: 7:21pm On Jul 19, 2012
swiftycool:

Not true, my landlord in the Uk was a fulltime day cleaner at Shell and a weekend cleaner at Aberdeen airport and he owned one 2bedroom flat in middlefield and another 2bedroom flat in Torry where he and his wife a city mall cleaner lived with their baby

Now this is different, there are three salaries coming in and this would help boost them financially. I am talking about just a one person scenario.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Fhemmmy: 7:23pm On Jul 19, 2012
swiftycool:

That is more jobs and making money from the rental too.
It takes a man with head screwed properly to do that, no a Nigerian dude that wanna show off at the club cos of some babes there . . . Anything is possible if the person knows what he or she is doing, it takes proper self discipline
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Godogwu: 7:27pm On Jul 19, 2012
Olalekan 0: stop typing crap,no one earns as little as $800 a month abroad!

Dude, a person earning $7.50 an hour and works about 25-28 hours a week earns that ( do the math) . You should know that not all jobs have full time hours.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Godogwu: 7:31pm On Jul 19, 2012
Fhemmmy:

If you are making 800$$ a month and you are paying all those kinda bills, then, you are surely doing more than you can afford.
With such pay, you could get a shared apartment where you wont have to pay that much for gas, and water and the rest of the bills, or get something that is inclusive . . . Also, if you have a job and all you are making in a month is 800$ a month, then, that MUST be a lazy dude that might ave to find another job to make 2 jobs, or be educated for something better . . . .

I understand your point clearly, but even on campus people in shared apartments still pay anywhere from 350-600 dollars a month just for rent. (Forgive my reference to campus I'm an F-1 student, I'm just speaking from the knowledge I know of). Bottom line is that some Nigerians make it seem that the UK or US has a better living cost which is greatly false.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Chinom(m): 7:32pm On Jul 19, 2012
Why don't we make the most of both world. Do whatever odd job you have to do in Europe. Do it hard, save serious cash and come back to Naija to live large. Anyhow you look at it, cost of living is extremely cheaper in Naija than in Uk or Europe. That's actually what the post isall about. The idea is not to compare cleaning in Nigeria with the UK. They are poles apart.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Fhemmmy: 7:42pm On Jul 19, 2012
Godogwu:

I understand your point clearly, but even on campus people in shared apartments still pay anywhere from 350-600 dollars a month just for rent. (Forgive my reference to campus I'm an F-1 student, I'm just speaking from the knowledge I know of). Bottom line is that some Nigerians make it seem that the UK or US has a better living cost which is greatly false.

I do agree with you that some of the people abroad give false info to people in Nigeria and that makes some people with great jobs to quit and come and slave in western world, however, a cup of water with peace of mind is better than pounded yam with Ogbono while a gun is point at your head . . the important thing is what can we do to make Nigeria a better place to be, cos no matter where you and i are, Nigeria will forever be home.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by 3sky: 7:49pm On Jul 19, 2012
Chinom: Why don't we make the most of both world. Do whatever odd job you have to do in Europe. Do it hard, save serious cash and come back to Naija to live large. Anyhow you look at it, cost of living is extremely cheaper in Naija than in Uk or Europe. That's actually what the post isall about. The idea is not to compare cleaning in Nigeria with the UK. They are poles apart.

this is what i always preach to people around me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

A Toyota Camry Crashes Into A House Fence At Lawanson, Lagos (photos) / Lady And Her Friend Unscathed After Their Car Somersaulted Severally (pictures) / Two Containers Fall On Vehicle In Onitsha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.