Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,801 members, 7,915,273 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 08:02 PM

Pls Urgent Advice Needed: My Front Left Wheel Gets Real Hot After Driving. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Pls Urgent Advice Needed: My Front Left Wheel Gets Real Hot After Driving. (6199 Views)

Motorized Three-Wheel Tricycle Spotted In Onitsha (Photos) / Urgent Help Needed My Car Is Missing / Ac Blowing Hot After Battery Replaced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Urgent Advice Needed: My Front Left Wheel Gets Real Hot After Driving. by 9hmo(m): 8:34am On Jul 19, 2012
Pls can someone help me out here. I noticed that my front left wheel {highlander} gets real hot after driving or when i enter pool of water i will notice fumes coming out from the wheel. what should i do or is it normal?
Re: Pls Urgent Advice Needed: My Front Left Wheel Gets Real Hot After Driving. by davechika(m): 8:48am On Jul 19, 2012
go to nearest mechanic to service ur brakes calipers and bushings also re greasing the movable parts.ur brakes pads are binding on the disc plates.

1 Like

Re: Pls Urgent Advice Needed: My Front Left Wheel Gets Real Hot After Driving. by 9hmo(m): 9:11am On Jul 19, 2012
thanks for your quick response.
Re: Pls Urgent Advice Needed: My Front Left Wheel Gets Real Hot After Driving. by BizBooks(m): 12:36pm On Jul 19, 2012
@Poster,

Check and make sure your emergency brakes are not on. In some vehicles, they can be found
beside the driver's seat, near the transmission lever while in others they are placed near
the foot pedals. Emergency brakes placed near the foot pedals are the most problematic.
People sometimes depress them without knowing.
Re: Pls Urgent Advice Needed: My Front Left Wheel Gets Real Hot After Driving. by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:07pm On Jul 19, 2012
BizBooks: @Poster,

Check and make sure your emergency brakes are not on. In some vehicles, they can be found
beside the driver's seat, near the transmission lever while in others they are placed near
the foot pedals. Emergency brakes placed near the foot pedals are the most problematic.
People sometimes depress them without knowing.

he said left front wheel

I NEVER SEEN A CAR WITH HANDBRAKE THAT LOCKS FRONT WHEELS

the caliper is the problem it is not releasing

1 Like

Re: Pls Urgent Advice Needed: My Front Left Wheel Gets Real Hot After Driving. by baaliyah(m): 1:20pm On Jul 19, 2012
Major curprit is caliper piston.
'Hand brakes' only work with the rear wheels.
Re: Pls Urgent Advice Needed: My Front Left Wheel Gets Real Hot After Driving. by BizBooks(m): 1:21pm On Jul 19, 2012
ZIM DRILL:

That is part of the mis-conception. Some people assume that the emergency brakes can only be
pulled by the hand (handbrake as you called them). But some of them are placed underneath the
dash board, near the foot pedals. You engage those with your foot. If you engage them without
knowing, your tyres will get hot real fast.

I'm not saying that is the case here. One cannot tell without actually seeing the car.
Re: Pls Urgent Advice Needed: My Front Left Wheel Gets Real Hot After Driving. by Ikenna351(m): 1:30pm On Jul 19, 2012
ZIM DRILL:

he said left front wheel

the caliper is the problem it is not releasing

No mind am!

@ Poster,

The brake flexible hose of that wheel should not be left out in the checking. It usually blocks overtime and wont return fliud back to hydraulic reservoir when brake is applied and released, hence, that wheel remains constantly on brake (brake pad binding on the brake rotor).

Three things would make only one wheel brake to be binding:
1. Rusted caliper on the external (should be cleaned and greased).
2. Rusted caliper on the inside (should be cleaned or mildly sand-papered and the seal/kit or caliper rubber replaced).
3. Failed brake flexible hose (should be replaced).

If your front two wheels or the four wheels brake are binding, then the culprit is probably the Master Cylinder. If only the 2 rear wheels are binding, then the emergency/hand brake should be the first thing to check, especially the cable or the springs on the rear calipers.

It must have been given you sign but you failed to noticed. Your vehicle symptom would be steering the wheel to the left side, when in motion and when you are not holding the steering. Even when on top speed, you would have been noticing that the vehicle would be pulling to oneside (left side) and you will be struggling to steer it back to the road or hold the steering wheel firmly, for it not to steer off the road. Also, the fuel consumption would be very high as well, since the engine would be struggling hard to pull the vehicle while on constant brake, hence more power needed and more fuel for the more power been used.

Always pay attention to your vehicle.

Ikenna.
Re: Pls Urgent Advice Needed: My Front Left Wheel Gets Real Hot After Driving. by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:47pm On Jul 19, 2012
BizBooks:

That is part of the mis-conception. Some people assume that the emergency brakes can only be
pulled by the hand (handbrake as you called them). But some of them are placed underneath the
dash board, near the foot pedals. You engage those with your foot. If you engage them without
knowing, your tyres will get hot real fast.

I'm not saying that is the case here. One cannot tell without actually seeing the car.

you missed my point yes especially mercedes benz got handbrake which is applied by foot but my point was that when you apply handbrake on all the cars i have worked on the locked wheels are back ones, the cables runs to the back not front

hence you also pointed out that it must be the caliper since it is a LEFT FRONT WHEEL
Re: Pls Urgent Advice Needed: My Front Left Wheel Gets Real Hot After Driving. by davechika(m): 11:16am On Jul 20, 2012
9hmo: Pls can someone help me out here. I noticed that my front left wheel {highlander} gets real hot after driving or when i enter pool of water i will notice fumes coming out from the wheel. what should i do or is it normal?

Re: Pls Can Someone Help Me Out Here. by davechika (m): 9:38am On Jul 19 hw many threads ?, go check ur brake pads cos they are binding
togeda to ur disc plates,it need re greasing and servicing if not it
will be getting hotter in short periods if left unserviced.the brake
caliphers needs to be serviced only by greasing and re kitting
them.u should avoid swimming in water logged roads that the after
effect. (Modify ) (Quote) (Report)
Re: Pls Urgent Advice Needed: My Front Left Wheel Gets Real Hot After Driving. by 9hmo(m): 12:05pm On Jul 20, 2012
Thanks to all of you that responded. Am so happy that someone can get answers here on nairaland.
My mechanic checked it out and said that nothing is wrong with the car,but he greased the calipers. Checked everything and confirmed that the caliper returns very well. Once again thanks to all.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Why Do People Call Imported Second Hand Products Belgium / Comparism Between Toyota Camry 2010 XLE And Lexus RX 330 (2005/06 Model) / I Almost "Stole" A Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.