Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,609 members, 7,944,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 05:15 AM

Africans With Foreign Names - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Africans With Foreign Names (3836 Views)

African Identity: Nigerians And Their Foreign Names / Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? / Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africans With Foreign Names by anonymous6(f): 3:38pm On Jul 20, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge:

Was he Nigerian or one of those ajebutta Oyinbo-born kids who can't even point to their father's land?

He is full nigerian and yoruba but born and raised in America like me, he went through a 360 for the better though
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jul 20, 2012
Omoge means what?
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 3:41pm On Jul 20, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge:

Mo kan n ba e sere ni.

This is a shocker to me sha. Na wa o.

From honerico to Erik. lol

My Yoruba name can't be changed. Toyang doesn't sound bad.

Erik? that's not even my name lol.. I actually gave myself an English name while i was still in the secondary school because my name sounded so "intimate" and there was this "ugly" girl who liked calling me all the time, she corrupted the name and also mis-prounced it (same with alot of people), i was so annoyed hearing it from her, had to get myself that English name. (only have one legal name and it's native) before i use to hate it, later while growing up, i fell back inlove with it.

I have warned all my friends never to call me by that english name again since it's not even in my birth cert.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by anonymous6(f): 3:41pm On Jul 20, 2012
honeric01:

Ask anonymous6 about the Seun to Sean to see if i am lying.

I mentioned Chukwuma to Chucks, didn't i?

I have heard the chucks one to, sad
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jul 20, 2012
honeric01:

Ajebuta ko, Ajubeta no, even the Kafilat the Nigerian lady dancer calls herself Kaffy, did i make that up to or is she also from an Ajebutter home?

Technically, she can change that to whatever as Kafilat is a muslim name.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by anonymous6(f): 3:43pm On Jul 20, 2012
honeric01:

Well the Bukola one is so CLOSE to me that i can ARGUE that even in my sleep, she calls herself Bekky, i always "punch" sense into her head by bringing her out of her tiny wonder-oyinbo-land.

I just don't get it, Who would want to call themself bekky, bukola is the best to me and the right way. I know two bukola's and both call themself bukola proudly not that bekky nonsence
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by anonymous6(f): 3:45pm On Jul 20, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: AFRICANS NAMES ALL DAys everyday...... AFRICAN CAMEROONIAN AND PROUD=CAMEROONPRIDE cool cool cool coolAND I LOVE MY NAME cool cool

Kudos to you, always be proud of your cultural name
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 3:45pm On Jul 20, 2012
naijababe:

Mehn, I thought I was the only one that's annoyed by that. Half the time the names end up looking like some gaelic name. I call myself by my yoruba name and my kids have nothing but Yoruba names.

Surely when i grow up, all my kids are going to have only native names and i am also not going to cut any of my daughter's hair, i want others to see and know that it's possible for black women to also have long hair. I just want them to see themselves equal and comfortable in their skin and with their names.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 3:47pm On Jul 20, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge:

That's not what I meant. You dey post like one sisi eko.

Baby Ileke Idi nla, what happened to your handle? embarassed
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by anonymous6(f): 3:51pm On Jul 20, 2012
naijababe:

Mehn, I thought I was the only one that's annoyed by that. Half the time the names end up looking like some gaelic name. I call myself by my yoruba name and my kids have nothing but Yoruba names.

So behind you on that, I have promised my self that when I have kids besides cultural training they will have yoruba names straight
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by YorubaOmoge: 3:52pm On Jul 20, 2012
honeric01:

Erik? that's not even my name lol.. I actually gave myself an English name while i was still in the secondary school because my name sounded so "intimate" and there was this "ugly" girl who liked calling me all the time, she corrupted the name and also mis-prounced it (same with alot of people), i was so annoyed hearing it from her, had to get myself that English name. (only have one legal name and it's native) before i use to hate it, later while growing up, i fell back inlove with it.

I have warned all my friends never to call me by that english name again since it's not even in my birth cert.

ROTFLMAO grin grin grin grin grin

What's your name?
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by YorubaOmoge: 3:54pm On Jul 20, 2012
honeric01:

Ajebuta ko, Ajubeta no, even the Kafilat the Nigerian lady dancer calls herself Kaffy, did i make that up to or is she also from an Ajebutter home?

Kaffy is not a foreign name o. It's like shortening Oluwatoyin to Toyin or Toyang. Very normal

CAMEROONPRIDE: Omoge means what?

LOL. How are you today?

honeric01:

Baby Ileke Idi nla, what happened to your handle? embarassed
I like this one, it's more "me".

anonymous6:

He is full nigerian and yoruba but born and raised in America like me, he went through a 360 for the better though

Well, that explains much. All the Shymmexes of these world.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by anonymous6(f): 4:02pm On Jul 20, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge:

You better hope he doesn't come in here and read that from you, lol
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 4:09pm On Jul 20, 2012
anonymous6:

I just don't get it, Who would want to call themself bekky, bukola is the best to me and the right way. I know two bukola's and both call themself bukola proudly not that bekky nonsence

Bukky is even close.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 4:11pm On Jul 20, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge:

Kaffy is not a foreign name o. It's like shortening Oluwatoyin to Toyin or Toyang. Very normal

Kaffy, Buffy, Cathy, so tell me how is Kaffy a native or African name? Even Kafiyat is not even African.

You prefer Omoge? who dash you omoge lol?

You don shit full ur ileke, u come run change am.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jul 20, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge:

LOL. How are you today?

[url][/url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM97CJWOGvs&feature=colike....do you understand even if some comments say that it's not the true pidgin ...
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by YorubaOmoge: 4:14pm On Jul 20, 2012
honeric01:

Kaffy, Buffy, Cathy, so tell me how is Kaffy a native or African name? Even Kafiyat is not even African.

You prefer Omoge? who dash you omoge lol?

You don shit full ur ileke, u come run change am.
Kafiya is a native name o.

Restrict your spambots from banning me. Next is Yoruba_Babe.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by YorubaOmoge: 4:15pm On Jul 20, 2012
CAMEROON,

I can't watch the video from where I am now, but later.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 4:15pm On Jul 20, 2012
naijababe:

Technically, she can change that to whatever as Kafilat is a muslim name.

Muslim oh Christian o, they are still foreign, if bible could be translated to Yoruba, Igbo, Bini, Hausa e.t.c Language, then you can take christian/Muslim e.t.c sounding native name after conversion.

Saul to Paul in the new testament are still Hebrew names, so why should i change my native name to a foreign name because i got baptized?
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 4:16pm On Jul 20, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge:
Kafiya is a native name o.

Restrict your spambots from banning me. Next is Yoruba_Babe.

Native name wetin? what does it mean? it's a muslim name, not a native name.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 4:17pm On Jul 20, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge:

ROTFLMAO grin grin grin grin grin

What's your name?

Too intimate, not for everyone.. since i have been on planet earth, i have only come across 1 person bearing my name.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 4:20pm On Jul 20, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge:

Last names are carried on from generation to generation or changed through interracial marriage.

Don't tell me you expect people to change their last names because. . .

If you want to argue out first names, we can. However, the topic has been washed and worn out like 190's undies.

Do you know how people end up with foreign last name? (at least this generation), it's because they give themselves foreign names, then their kids start bearing that name instead of their ancestral names.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 4:22pm On Jul 20, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: AFRICANS NAMES ALL DAys everyday...... AFRICAN CAMEROONIAN AND PROUD=CAMEROONPRIDE cool cool cool coolAND I LOVE MY NAME cool cool

Cool..thumbs up.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jul 20, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge: CAMEROON,

I can't watch the video from where I am now, but later.

[url][/url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st94gKtO0Eo&feature=colike it's okay watch it when you have the time ...and you tell me if it sounds like nigerian pidgin
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by YorubaOmoge: 5:25pm On Jul 20, 2012
honeric01:

Too intimate, not for everyone.. since i have been on planet earth, i have only come across 1 person bearing my name.

Are you saying I'm ugly? Abeg what is your name jor? cheesy

Atleast post the meaning
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by YorubaOmoge: 5:45pm On Jul 20, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: [url][/url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st94gKtO0Eo&feature=colike it's okay watch it when you have the time ...and you tell me if it sounds like nigerian pidgin

Yo, they sound very much alike, but you can tell that he's not Nigerian. He has a difference accent.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jul 20, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge:

Yo, they sound very much alike, but you can tell that he's not Nigerian. He has a difference accent.
You see we are brother when nigeria will be a peaceful country like CAMEROON cool cool cool you will join us and we will form one nation cool cool
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 6:15pm On Jul 20, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge:

Are you saying I'm ugly? Abeg what is your name jor? cheesy

Atleast post the meaning

I know yours is Toyin, mine ends with Dia (so they pronounce it like dear)
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by YorubaOmoge: 6:17pm On Jul 20, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: You see we are brother when nigeria will be a peaceful country like CAMEROON cool cool cool you will join us and we will form one nation cool cool

Allah forbids it lol
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by YorubaOmoge: 6:19pm On Jul 20, 2012
honeric01:

I know yours is Toyin, mine ends with Dia (so they pronounce it like dear)

So, do you mind if I start calling you "Dia"? tongue If you do, too bad o.

My name is Toyang, my Dia.
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jul 20, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge:

Allah forbids it lol
Of course i was joking ... tongue tongue tongue you don't deserve to touch our soil coolCameroon cool cool the place to be tongue don't you have/know a thread which is active and where i can troll ....it's raining outside and i'm bored
Re: Africans With Foreign Names by honeric01(m): 6:27pm On Jul 20, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge:

So, do you mind if I start calling you "Dia"? tongue If you do, too bad o.

My name is Toyang, my Dia.

Nobi only Toyang, na To jet li.

Nope, Dia is not my name, just part of it, so call me honeric01.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Merry Christmas Greetings And Messages 2015 / The Two Things That Can Make A Nigerian Man Open A Car Door For A Woman / Enugu: When A Man’s Father Dies He Must Buy A Horse And Slaughter It.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.